Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Football's oddest, weirdest or funniest moments

1. #1 Default Football's oddest, weirdest or funniest moments 
    kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Football is a great game, one we all love or wouldn't be here. But sometimes it degenerates into a farce due to competition rule makers not thinking things through well enough. My first contribution to this thread goes back to 1994 and the Caribbean Cup tournament of that year, more precisely the last group game in Group 1, Barbados v Greneda. Grenada went into the match with a +1 goal difference advantage over Barbados meaning Barbados had to beat Grenada by two goals to win the group and progress to the next stage, with me so far?

The farce that was to follow was caused by the fact that the organisers had decided that every game must have a winner; any game tied after 90 minutes would go to a 'golden goal' extra time and, crucially (and daftly) that the golden goal would count double!

Barbados seemed to have everything in their hands leading 2-0, a score that would have seen them qualify on goal difference. Then, in the 83rd minute Grenada pulled one back meaning at 2-1 Barbados now needed another to qualify. The Barbadians realised they had little if any chance of scoring past the massed Grenada defence and in a moment of genius decided that their best bet was to take the game to extra time in the hope of scoring the golden goal which would count double and given them their two goal margin. So they scored an own goal making it 2-2.

But the farce wasn't over because Grenada realised themselves that if they could score at the right end the game would finish 3-2 to them and they would qualify with more points. They also realised that they could also score an own goal giving Barbados the win by just one goal, a result that would see Grenada qualify on goal difference; either way they qualified. The game ended with the ridiculous sight of Barbados defending both goals to thwart the Grenadians plan and they managed to hold off until extra time when they did in fact score the crucial double golden goal and qualified 4-2.

Phew.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by kickthetyres View Post
    Football is a great game, one we all love or wouldn't be here. But sometimes it degenerates into a farce due to competition rule makers not thinking things through well enough. My first contribution to this thread goes back to 1994 and the Caribbean Cup tournament of that year, more precisely the last group game in Group 1, Barbados v Greneda. Grenada went into the match with a +1 goal difference advantage over Barbados meaning Barbados had to beat Grenada by two goals to win the group and progress to the next stage, with me so far?

The farce that was to follow was caused by the fact that the organisers had decided that every game must have a winner; any game tied after 90 minutes would go to a 'golden goal' extra time and, crucially (and daftly) that the golden goal would count double!

Barbados seemed to have everything in their hands leading 2-0, a score that would have seen them qualify on goal difference. Then, in the 83rd minute Grenada pulled one back meaning at 2-1 Barbados now needed another to qualify. The Barbadians realised they had little if any chance of scoring past the massed Grenada defence and in a moment of genius decided that their best bet was to take the game to extra time in the hope of scoring the golden goal which would count double and given them their two goal margin. So they scored an own goal making it 2-2.

But the farce wasn't over because Grenada realised themselves that if they could score at the right end the game would finish 3-2 to them and they would qualify with more points. They also realised that they could also score an own goal giving Barbados the win by just one goal, a result that would see Grenada qualify on goal difference; either way they qualified. The game ended with the ridiculous sight of Barbados defending both goals to thwart the Grenadians plan and they managed to hold off until extra time when they did in fact score the crucial double golden goal and qualified 4-2.

Phew.
    That was brilliant! Thanks for posting, will have to tell my Dad and son about that one...

Just brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by KnottybackSte View Post
    That was brilliant! Thanks for posting, will have to tell my Dad and son about that one...

Just brilliant
    Thanks, I actually remember it being reported...bizarre. There's a short youtube video clip of the OG being 'scored', but nothing of the ensuing scramble to sore a proper goal or another OG.

Here another from the Book of Heroic Failures....

Worlds Worst Penalty Shootout

After a 1-1 draw in a 1988 Derby Community Cup match between Mickleover and Chellaston the teams managed, between them, to miss the first sixty two penalty kicks. It was, by all accounts, a feast of footballing incompetence and displayed the full repertoire of scuffing, muffing, blasting and ballooning penalty kicks skillfully over the bar. Then a lad called Richard Smith scored for Chellaston, this only riled the next Mickleover player John Blatherwick who immediately equalised!!!
    Chellaston missed their next one and a guy called Sam Gadsby ruined it for everyone by scoring the winner with the next kick. At 90 minutes this is believed to be the first shootout to last as long as the match normal time.

Liverdinner is offline Posts With His Faace
    Have to mention that incident in the Brazil-Zaire game where the defender runs out of the wall and kicks it before the freekick is taken.

I know it's got a sad backstory, but it was so comical on face value

Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    Have to mention that incident in the Brazil-Zaire game where the defender runs out of the wall and kicks it before the freekick is taken.

I know it's got a sad backstory, but it was so comical on face value
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDXkVGpMpc

I remember falling about laughing when I was watching that game.

Liverdinner is offline Posts With His Faace
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDXkVGpMpc

I remember falling about laughing when I was watching that game.
    I think there's a sinister background to it, but it's so funny to watch

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider

Phew.

There was this odd, weird and funny moment in a recent game I was watching where this one team, after conceding a goal, had a player sent off .. obviously then down to 10 men, they then scored an equalising goal and, literally in the last second of the game (after 4 minutes of added time) were awarded a contentious penalty, which the striker then took and scored to win the game for the side with 10 men.

Oh, how I laughed and laughed, especially at the opposing manager, who is a bit of a tart to begin with, and who threw his jacket on the ground in fury.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    There was this odd, weird and funny moment in a recent game I was watching where this one team, after conceding a goal, had a player sent off .. obviously then down to 10 men, they then scored an equalising goal and, literally in the last second of the game (after 4 minutes of added time) were awarded a contentious penalty, which the striker then took and scored to win the game for the side with 10 men.

Oh, how I laughed and laughed, especially at the opposing manager, who is a bit of a tart to begin with, and who threw his jacket on the ground in fury.

Good times.
    Was that in a third tier game in somewhere like the Marshall Islands or St Kitts and Nevis as I would not believe that happening in a top league like La Liga or Serie A.

Another odd moment is Rangers has won a major trophy after being considered to be knocked out of that tournament.

This was in the early days of the Away Goals rule. They was involved in a 6-6 game against Sporting Lisbon (winning 3-2 in Glasgow and losing 4-3 in Lisbon). The ref made the teams take the penalties which Sporting won 3-0. However, UEFA later awarded the tie to Rangers where they progressed eventually to lift the Cup Winners Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Was that in a third tier game in somewhere like the Marshall Islands or St Kitts and Nevis as I would not believe that happening in a top league like La Liga or Serie A.

Another odd moment is Rangers has won a major trophy after being considered to be knocked out of that tournament.

This was in the early days of the Away Goals rule. They was involved in a 6-6 game against Sporting Lisbon (winning 3-2 in Glasgow and losing 4-3 in Lisbon). The ref made the teams take the penalties which Sporting won 3-0. However, UEFA later awarded the tie to Rangers where they progressed eventually to lift the Cup Winners Cup.
    Wow, that is crazy .. did the ref not know the rules, or did he just forget as it had recently been put in place or something?

Wow, that is crazy .. did the ref not know the rules, or did he just forget as it had recently been put in place or something?
    I think it was a case of forgetting/misunderstanding the rule.

Good times.
    Tart

Phew.
    WOW! That is ridiculous! You couldn't make that up could you?

Vesku225 is online now Under-20 2015 and World Cup 2014 Sweepstakes Champion
    Couple of Arsenal players thought the game was over before extra time and gave their shirts away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1lr...&nohtml5=False

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    Pearson choking MacArthur for all three in the title.

The Lino in the Kilmarnock game just took a time out to chuck up

Kiesslings phantom goal a few years back

Puncheons toilet break mid match

TheHolyTrinity is offline No longer loves Baggio's tackle
    Probably been mentioned loads of times but Jimmy Bullard and duncan ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by TheHolyTrinity View Post
    Impressive pens?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHolyTrinity View Post
    Impressive pens?

Must have been already mentioned but Babel winning a penalty while Adebayaor was still celebrating with the Arsenal fans is just brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    Impressive pens?
    Autocorrect could have made that post go horribly wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Thespian View Post
    Autocorrect could have made that post go horribly wrong....
    Hence the Trinity legacy

TheHolyTrinity is offline No longer loves Baggio's tackle
    Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    Hence the Trinity legacy
    Oi let it go

What's most annoying is the writing under my nickname. It was Signori's tackle that I used to love not Baggio's

GivinItBifters is online now Academy prospect
    It's definitely odd, slightly weird and a little bit funny, whatever floats your boat I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itfzg7ZaydE