Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LFC Forums Transfer Committee: Thread 1 - Scouting Reports.

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Right, for cb.

Armando Izzo - Genoa

Genoa have only conceded 28 goals this year and yet are currently 16th. The team above them has conceded 37, the team below them 41. For me, whilst admittedly they do play 3 cbs, this guy has stood out as a contributory factor.

They actually play him at right back, right wing back and occasionally rcb sometimes, which perhaps evidences that he is comfortable on the ball, if not quite a Riedewald. He's decently quick, he's physically strong, and what I like most about him is that he thinks about what he is doing in physical tussles. Whereas Lovren often dives in like a loon, Izzo seems aware that strikers are likely to flop to the floor and so he applies minimal pressure on them whilst holding ground and trying to reach round.

One potential issues is that because they often (but not always) play with 3 at the back, he sometimes steps out into the gap between the lines to win the ball back, and obviously here (with our 2 cbs) he'd have to be careful managing this.

He's very good on the front foot and very good standing off and letting players' options die out. Essentially he's got very good judgement and reading of a situation.

Overall , not half bad. I couldn't find any match compilations, so here's an oldish video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpwxsJnuNU

Eric Bailly - Villarreal

Been a fan for a while now. He's very very quick and athletic for a cb but also confident enough on the ball not to panic under pressure, despite his occasionally gung ho stance on defending.

On that latter point, he is a tad hotheaded. However I think we can mould it into a passion that we currently lack, and his physical traits are just so impressive for a cb.

Unfortunately very little of him on youtube but as you can see from the number of times he dispossesses Messi and Suarez in the below clip, he's very good 1 v 1 and tall enough to be good in the air.

Izzo is 24 soon and Bailly 22 soon, so good ages to come in and be effective now whilst also developing.

Apologies for the brevity, but I am trying to learn msc finance at the same time.
    Last edited by Liverdinner; 4-2-16 at 19:27.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    Right, for cb.

Armando Izzo - Genoa

Genoa have only conceded 28 goals this year and yet are currently 16th. The team above them has conceded 37, the team below them 41. For me, whilst admittedly they do play 3 cbs, this guy has stood out as a contributory factor.

They actually play him at right back, right wing back and occasionally rcb sometimes, which perhaps evidences that he is comfortable on the ball, if not quite a Riedewald. He's decently quick, he's physically strong, and what I like most about him is that he thinks about what he is doing in physical tussles. Whereas Lovren often dives in like a loon, Izzo seems aware that strikers are likely to flop to the floor and so he applies minimal pressure on them whilst holding ground and trying to reach round.

One potential issues is that because they often (but not always) play with 3 at the back, he sometimes steps out into the gap between the lines to win the ball back, and obviously here (with our 2 cbs) he'd have to be careful managing this.

He's very good on the front foot and very good standing off and letting players' options die out. Essentially he's got very good judgement and reading of a situation.

Overall , not half bad. I couldn't find any match compilations, so here's an oldish video.

Eric Bailly - Villarreal

Been a fan for a while now. He's very very quick and athletic for a cb but also confident enough on the ball not to panic on the ball under pressure, despite his occasionally gung ho stance on defending.

On that latter point, he is a tad hotheaded. However I think we can mould it into a passion that we currently lack, and his physical traits are just so impressive for a cb.

Unfortunately very little of him on youtube but as you can see from the number of times he dispossesses Messi and Suarez in the below clip, he's very good 1 v 1 and tall enough to be good in the air.

Izzo is 24 soon and Bailly 22 soon, so good ages to come in and be effective now whilst also developing.
    Bailly is the Villarreal defender I really like. I think he has everything to become a top quality CB. Like Mustafi though he picks up his share of cards. BTW both the videos are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Bailly is the Villarreal defender I really like. I think he has everything to become a top quality CB. Like Mustafi though he picks up his share of cards. BTW both the videos are the same.
    I am a fan but I also fear he could go the way of Sakho recently and lose his head. He's right on that margin of being too gung ho.

I prefer Izzo for that reason.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Musacchio is just excellent. Alongside Mustafi they're the two centrebacks who could go to most teams and impeove them. Musacchio's injury halted him for a bit or he'd be in England by now.

Izzo for me is a centreback more than anything else.

I am a fan but I also fear he could go the way of Sakho recently and lose his head. He's right on that margin of being too gung ho.

I prefer Izzo for that reason.
    Izzo is very a cultured player if you will. Extremely deft with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    Musacchio is just excellent. Alongside Mustafi they're the two centrebacks who could go to most teams and impeove them. Musacchio's injury halted him for a bit or he'd be in England by now.

Izzo for me is a centreback more than anything else.
    Yes, I'm recommending him as a cb only.

I like Musacchio's defending in pretty much every aspect but not so much his use of the ball when pressured. Well, it's not bad, but sometimes he looks too long.

It's great watching him anticipate and move in though. He's so *********** dogged, it's unbelievable.

I like Musacchio's defending in pretty much every aspect but not so much his use of the ball when pressured.

It's great watching him anticipate and move in though. He's so *********** dogged, it's unbelievable.
    He's your typical South American defender. Much like the mentioned Gimenez. These guys go in with all they've got.

I like Musacchio's defending in pretty much every aspect but not so much his use of the ball when pressured.

That is the trait with these SA defenders. The issue for me though with him is that he isn't the quickest and recovering from a missed play is a big part of defending for me.

That is the trait with these SA defenders. The issue for me though with him is that he isn't the quickest and recovering from a missed play is a big part of defending for me.
    I don't see him as slow really. When you are that explosive coming out of your position you don't need much pace. Sure he can be outrun, but most strikers are quicker than most defenders, so I don't see it as an issue.

Mustafi is one of the only modern defenders who I could imagine player the old school sweeper role. He's that good.

I don't see him as slow really. When you are that explosive coming out of your position you don't need much pace. Sure he can be outrun, but most strikers are quicker than most defenders, so I don't see it as an issue.
    He isn't slow but he isn't as quick as Mustafi and Gimenez who are in the same body type, but its really splitting hairs because pretty much all of them would be very very good additions to our back line.

He isn't slow but he isn't as quick as Mustafi and Gimenez who are in the same body type, but its really splitting hairs because pretty much all of them would be very very good additions to our back line.
    Quite frankly I'm tired of talking centrebacks in relation to Liverpool as I feel whoever we sign won't make a difference until the whole team becomes well organized.

Quite frankly I'm tired of talking centrebacks in relation to Liverpool as I feel whoever we sign won't make a difference until the whole team becomes well organized.
    An imbalanced midfield as we have presently constructed and also with Klopp's decision to reintroduce Lucas and revert to a 3 man mid hasn't helped. The midfield is somewhere between ineffective and garbage.

I don't think any defender we sign will make a difference until we fix the problem we have inbetween the sticks.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    Ante Ćorić - Dinamo Zagreb

Robert Prosinečki, Zvonimir Boban, Niko Kranjčar, Luka Modrić, Ivan Rakitić, – it is fair to say Croatia have had their fair share of some of the most intricate and sublime central midfielders in European football since their split and independence from the former Yugoslavia in 1991.

That tradition looks set to continue as Mateo Kovačić made his move from Zagreb to Milan in 2013 and he was closely followed by Alen Halilovič who, 12 months later, swapped Zagreb for Catalonia.

And now it seems there is a new kid on the block in Dynamo Zagreb’s 18-year-old central midfielder, Ante Ćorić.

Ćorić, who was born in Zagreb, began his footballing career playing for the youth teams of Hrvatski Dragovoljac (where his brother, Josip, played as a senior) and NK Zagreb before making the brave decision of leaving Croatia for Austria as he joined Red Bull Salzburg aged just 12. It was a huge move for the youngster as he rejected more appealing moves to Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Chelsea citing the fact that Salzburg had one of the best academies in Europe and offered youngsters the chance to train more on the technical side of the game than their counterparts across Europe.

Upon completing his apprenticeship in Salzburg, Ante Ćorić joined the club he and his father had supported as a youngster, Dinamo Zagreb in June 2013. Ćorić spent the first year at Dinamo playing for their youth team before being promoted to the senior squad for the 2014-15 season. Ćorić would go on to make 24 appearances scoring 3 goals and providing 8 assists as Dinamo were crowned the champions of Croatia. He would also play a prominent part for the club as they lifted the HR Nogometni Cup making 5 appearances and scoring 1 goal. This term he has continued to impress in 17 appearances where he has scored 2 goals and provided 3 assists as well as appearing in four Champions League ties.

Upon first glance, you could mistake Ćorić for being far younger than his 18 years. He has a baby face, stands a diminutive 5ft 7in and has a lithe frame. However, you should not be fooled as he is hard as nails. Much like Lionel Messi and Pablo Aimar, Ćorić knows how to look after himself on the field. Despite his tender years, he has quickly learned how to shield the ball, buy space and has the uncanny ability to ride tackles much like Messi when he goes on mazy runs.

Predominantly, right footed, Ćorić is equally at home with the ball on his left. He has extremely quick feet and with his low centre of gravity is able to turn on a six pence. He also has a wonderful short burst of pace which coupled with his quick feet and running style means he is able to transform defence into attack in next to no time. His dribbling style is quite similar to that of Mateo Kovačić where he looks to run into space using small strides whilst keeping the ball glued to his feet. What you notice when he receives the ball is he always looks to run towards the opposition goal. Very rarely will he pass sideways or back towards his defence. His first thought, much like Kovačić, is to get the ball moving forward and to begin an attack.

Positionally, Ćorić is a central midfielder in a diamond for Dinamo Zagreb which consists of Paulo Machado who sits in front of the defence, Domagoj Antolić (who partners Ćorić) and Marko Rog at the tip. Ćorić is the creative midfielder in the quartet and is given licence to roam as Antolić, who also captain’s the team, sits and dictates the game from the centre circle. Ćorić’s natural game is to start attacks from midfield and he is allowed the freedom to venture forward and support Rog whilst Machado and Antolić act as cover. Although Ćorić is more accustomed to run with the ball he is also able to play a very intricate game as he likes to play short, sharp passes between Antolić and Rog very much in the pass-and-move tika-taka style of Barcelona under the stewardship of Pep Guardiola. Where his game does fall down at times is his inability to pick a long pass to start a quick attack. He likes to hold onto the ball and work his way up the pitch more methodically playing a pass-and-move game or dribbling with the ball on his own.

So onto weaknesses and there are many. Despite his ability to look after himself on the field, he is not a physical player by any stretch of the imagination. He rarely challenges for aerial duels, shirks tackles and relies on both Machado and Antolić to do the dirty work in midfield. If he does lose the ball which, to be fair, is a rare occurrence, he simply gives up the ghost and relies on other members of the team to retrieve possession for him.

Ćorić also needs to learn that he cannot do everything himself. He can sometimes hold onto the ball for far too long which can slow down attacks and despite having the ability to pick a pass, he quite often attempts to dribble with the ball when a pass is a far better option. In front of goal, and it can be quite hit and miss. Inside of the box, he is a cool finisher and also looks up to see if a team-mate is in a better position to pick out a pass. However, outside of the box, his shooting is extremely wayward and sometimes extremely wild and this can frustrate his team-mates as well as supporters.

Ante Ćorić is rated amongst the brightest talents Croatia have ever produced. His manager at Dinamo Zagreb, Zoran Mamić says, "Ante is a treasure for our club. He is a greater talent than Luka Modrić and Mateo Kovačić were at his age” whilst Dinamo’s President, Zdravko Mamić says, “He is still just a kid and he is attracting so much acclaim from the stands. He is better than Zvonimir Boban or Robert Prosinečki were at the same stage. I am impressed." A number of ex-internationals are also equally impressed with Zvonimir Boban and Ivan Rakitić comparing him to Andrea Pirlo and Xavi Hernandez in terms of his technical ability, his vision and passing range.

Mateo Kovačić moved to Inter Milan for £8.25m and Alen Halilovič to Barcelona for £3.75m so you would imagine Ante Ćorić will be available for a similar figure. If he were a player Jurgen Klopp were interested in, it would perhaps be wise to pay a fee and let him develop at Dinamo Zagreb for a couple of years as he is a way of being ready for the rigours of Premier League football just yet. He is still finding his feet at Dinamo Zagreb and there is still a rawness to his game and he has a lot to learn in terms of the defensive side of the game too. However, I’d much rather the club sign the likes of Ante Ćorić from source rather than wait until they establish themselves at a powerhouse only to be picked up by Real Madrid for a substantial fee a few years down the line (see Mateo Kovačić).

YT compilation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlS0akElug

My view on Coric is that whilst he is talented he is still too young to make a profound impact that we are looking for.

My view on Coric is that whilst he is talented he is still too young to make a profound impact that we are looking for.
    I agree hence why I said buy him but leave him at Dinamo Zagreb for a couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by cristinabenteke View Post
    I agree hence why I said buy him but leave him at Dinamo Zagreb for a couple of seasons.
    I think he needs a move from Zagreb to a better club. Somewhere like Benfica or Fiorentina.

I think he needs a move from Zagreb to a better club. Somewhere like Benfica or Fiorentina.
    Who will then, in turn, sell him to a Chelsea for £30m a couple years down the line having paid around £5m themselves.

Yeah, he's got 'it'.

Well, he's got what will become 'it' in a few years.

That's my initial assessment based on very little other than 1 or 2 games and Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by cristinabenteke View Post
    Who will then, in turn, sell him to a Chelsea for £30m a couple years down the line having paid around £5m themselves.
    I mean we can buy and loan him there.

I mean we can buy and loan him there.
    That makes sense. We need to be smarter in the transfer market.

Continuing our centreback quest I very much love the three Dutch centrebacks in Veltman, Bruma and Riedewald.

Veltman is someone who's been "brewing" for a while now and while he's always been a good player for Ajax, I feel he's taken it to a new level this season. He seems stronger, fitter and much more of a leading figure at the back. He's recently turned 24 and after over 100 games for Ajax this is the time to leave for him.

He's not the tallest of centrebacks, but somehow he still gets it done. He is extremelly intelligent in knowing when to go in for a duel and when to stand off. Especially in the air. Not many actually beat him in the air and if they do it's because he doesn't feel the position itself is dangerous. He's excellent on the ball really in that he can ping long passes as well as most midfielders.

Bruma has been someone who has been impressing me for a long time. He's physically scary and has the rare combination of size and decent pace. Like Veltman, he's also very comfortable on the ball. Plus, he knows England. There is also something about Bruna's demeanor that's very appealing. He knows what he wants to do with his career really.

Riedewald is the youngest of the bunch and someone who still has so much untapped potential. He can comfortably play at centreback, left back or as a defensive midfielder. For me the biggest selling point is his pace and his ability on the ball. I mean, there is nothing this guy can't do with a ball at his feet, whether it's strolling it up the pitch or even dribbling past a striker. Physically he still lacks a bit and he's more of a stand offish defender than perhaps what we're looking for. But for any team that wants to play possession football, he'd be some player.

I have no particular view on Coric really. I have seen very little of him.

Aesthetically Bruma reminds me of Curtis Davies and Sol Campbell, although with some Pique in there when he passes.
    Last edited by Liverdinner; 5-2-16 at 12:41.

Aesthetically Bruma reminds me of Curtis Davies and Sol Campbell, although with some Pique in there when he passes.
    I also forgot Van Beek. Another very good Dutch centreback.

I also forgot Van Beek. Another very good Dutch centreback.
    Aye he's been getting very good reviews this year. But how young are we willing to go for our cbs?

He's 21. Riedewald is what, 20? Laporte 21, Romagnoli 21.

Is that old enough or do we need more experience and maturity, what with our current lack of backbone.

Aye he's been getting very good reviews this year. But how young are we willing to go for our cbs?

He's 21. Riedewald is what, 20? Laporte 21, Romagnoli 21.

Is that old enough or do we need more experience and maturity, what with our current lack of backbone.
    It depends on the exposure more than the age for me.

I would certainly have Mustafi and Musacchio as top targets due to their readiness to play right now and because they seem very special to me. After that I wouldn't hesitate with someone like Bruma. He has the qualities, age and the experience. Laporte, despite his age, has played a lot of games really so it wouldn't be a problem.

However, it seems that Matip will be the one to come in. Now, if we really want to rip it up we could sign Matip and still sign someone to partner him. Don't forget that Houllier came in and signed Hyypia, Henchoz and Hamman all in the same revamping window.

Oh and on Izzo I forgot to say, he has a mild Beckenbauer complex. Though it's usually not a bad thing.