Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LFC Forums Transfer Committee: Thread 1 - Scouting Reports.

1. #1 LFCTV LFC Forums Transfer Committee: Thread 1 - Scouting Reports. 
    Jannno is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    The Football Features Forum, and especially the two Transfer Committee threads are a corner of the forums where you know you can get some sensible 'knowledgeable' football debate. There's no personal conversation between users, banter, chat, deviations off the specific topic, point scoring, arguments, one-liners, quips, wumming etc. It is very strictly moderated.

Use this existing Features Forum thread as an example of the thing we're aiming for: http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/thread...esequilibrante

Thread 1 - Scouting Reports. Committee members scout and write reports on any players anywhere in top level football, and not confined to just potential LFC players. In this discussion thread, committee members can post scouting reports on any players they consider would improve LFC or any other team.
    Any other LFCTV GO Users can take part in the subsequent discussion about those players.

Things to discuss might include where they'd play, who they'd combine well with, which manager's methods would suit them. Examples of discussions running alongside each other could be, finding us a new DM, a suitable new Spurs keeper, or who should play alongside Gareth Bale if Ronaldo leaves.......etc

In the next few months, after the scouting, we'll open Thread 2.

Thread 2 - Committee Selections. Committee only, use the scouting reports and work together to recommend a list of players for Jurgen to select from (for as many LFC team positions as they deem necessary), in time for opening of summer transfer window 1st July 2016. Committee to request Thread 2 be opened at a later date.

Hope you enjoy reading and contributing to them.

Elected Committee Members - in no particular order

Acumen

CrawleyRed

Liverdinner

Keemi

redhoops

Fowi

bearwithme

WineForMyMen

christinabenteke

scrams

El_Loco_Bielsa
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    To get the ball rolling...

A player who has been impressing me for the last two and a bit years - especially looking at his trajectory from Everton to Sampdoria to Valencia - is Shkodran Mustafi.

Strengths:

* Absolutely incredible ability to step out of the back four and spot danger. If you watch him play and just focus on his movement you often see him on his toes and just waiting for a chance to pounce on a pass. I also very much like his vision in that he constantly turns his head to both sides to see what's going on all the time. Much like Xavi did in midfield with the little head turn before receiving the ball.

* He is very comfortable on the ball, which is why he can play as full back for Germany. He has that Carra crisp pass with the inside of his boot and he can put a pace on the pass, which IMO is very important for a centreback. If the ball out of defence is a bouncy one the receiving player is instantly in trouble. However, unlike Carra, he can also spread play with diagonal long passes, which is rare from a centreback. If you look at the numbers, he's close to 10 long passes per game in a team, that doesn't play it long from the back. He also completes around 56% of them this season, which when corrected for Valencia's style of play, is impressively high.

* Aerially there is also a nice development in both his hunger for the duels and his ability to win them. While playing in Italy he would often stand off or try and just unsettle the striker, but at Valencia he's directly charging into duels and winning them, especially this season at 74.6%.

* A bona fide leader, even at the age of 23. He takes no crap from anybody and is not shy of speaking out on the behalf of his team.

* Experience is a big plus. At the age of 23 he has been in four different countries (Germany, England, Italy and Spain) and has played over 100 senior games, most of them as starter and most of them as a key player - which is a big deal - at either Sampdoria or Valencia. For me it's very important when signing a player, that this player has direct responsibility for his team(s) results and is not someone who's just riding along.

Worries:

* I don't have many, apart from knowing that his price would be relatively high for a defender. Perhaps the only worry is that he'll be coming from Valencia where he's had a losing season and he's looked terribly annoyed at times.

Overall:

IMO, while not being an unknown, I feel he's flying a bit under the radar as I genuinely think this is the best centreback outside of "big" European clubs and his stock would rise instantly after signing for a big club.

Acumen is offline First team regular
    Talking about Mustafi.

Here are some clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xIbXdMs3wE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GLCigFjZSc

MY ANALYSIS
    1. He is no slouch. Not slow or cumbersome at all for a CB. He's about 6'0ft tall so definitely pretty nimble

2. Fowi talks about his anticipation, in the first video where he is at Sampadoria you can see at the 2:00 min mark how he quickly sees and follows the run to see it out for a corner. Again, at the 2:06 mark he's right there with his man and snuffs out the danger. At the 3:55 mark see how high he has pressed to win the ball and spring the attack.

3. In the second video at the 0:57 mark you can see that instead of backing away and retreating as many CB's might now he looks to win the ball instead of inviting the pressure.

4. Long passing in the second video at the 1:55 mark.

5. At the 2:20 mark of the second video there is a large gap between him and the nearest defender, but his pace allows him to cover the area.

6. He also gets two goals in this game.

Fowi please feel free to add any comments.

He has the combination of being pretty quick and agile, as well as having the ability to anticipate (much like Musacchio, but we can talk about him separately). But it's also important to note, that his design is to quickly step out and intercept. He's not the only defender who does it - for example Lovren tries it as well - but whereas Lovren is cumbersome and, at times slow, Mustafi has that quick movement, in part due to him not being the biggest of defenders.

This is what former Valencia great had to say on Shakiri after the 7-0 loss last night:

"Mustafi showed his face and I think all of the Valencianistas are grateful to him. With the media today and always on the pitch. Example in extinction."

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    Nice scout repot, Fowi.

He reminds me a lot of Nemanja Vidic in his style of play and aggressiveness. I've been impressed with him for a while now and you do wonder what players Valencia will allow to leave should their struggles continue this season - and if he is looking quite annoyed as you say, he may be looking for a move away from the club. I quite like the look of Jose Gaya and Andre Gomes too.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    I like what Mustafi is about, but as with Otamendi, I'm not certain his skills will necessarily translate to the Premier League as well as they have done in Spain. As you say Fowi, he is improving aerially now that he is more proactive in attacking the ball, but given that English teams tend to use aerial balls a lot more than Spanish sides I fear he may revert back to his Sampdoria days in this way.

However, he does seem to have that 'lead by example' attitude which I think is missing in our backline. As you say Fowi, Lovren has tried it but failed miserably and seems to be enjoying better form now that he's had his ego slapped down a bit by his reputation taking a bit of a battering after last season.

From what I have seen he is a very talented player, but I'm just a little unsure about whether he is the type who will a) thrive in England and b) be the sort of player that can raise the overall effectiveness of this Liverpool defence.

There again after seeing Huth and Morgan do what they're doing with Leicester, I'm not sure I know anything about what makes a good defence in England anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    I like what Mustafi is about, but as with Otamendi, I'm not certain his skills will necessarily translate to the Premier League as well as they have done in Spain. As you say Fowi, he is improving aerially now that he is more proactive in attacking the ball, but given that English teams tend to use aerial balls a lot more than Spanish sides I fear he may revert back to his Sampdoria days in this way.

However, he does seem to have that 'lead by example' attitude which I think is missing in our backline. As you say Fowi, Lovren has tried it but failed miserably and seems to be enjoying better form now that he's had his ego slapped down a bit by his reputation taking a bit of a battering after last season.

From what I have seen he is a very talented player, but I'm just a little unsure about whether he is the type who will a) thrive in England and b) be the sort of player that can raise the overall effectiveness of this Liverpool defence.

There again after seeing Huth and Morgan do what they're doing with Leicester, I'm not sure I know anything about what makes a good defence in England anymore.
    IMO Otamendi's skills have translated beautifully to England.

I have been calling for an athletic, quick, fast CB for a long while. I feel it is a must in England for teams that want to attack or have more possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    Really? He's struggled badly from what I've seen. Seems to be getting bullied very easily.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    Not for me. I think he is such a poor defender and always has been.

Well, I disagree with you both. I think he's excellent and has been for City as well.

He has a lot of skill but seems to get caught in situations.

Well, I disagree with you both. I think he's excellent and has been for City as well.
    I think he was excellent at Valencia, but hasn't been for City. His performance against West Ham the other week was akin to Bjorn Tore Kvarme's worst moments.

Anyway this is about Mustafi, who is certainly an interesting player to kick things off in here. I'm going to have a think over the next couple of days on who I want to put forward first. *Dusts off profile on Glenn Whelan*

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Are we not concerned that he just conceded 7 goals.

If not directly by his performance, but by the way he maybe didn't inspire others?

Playing devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    Are we not concerned that he just conceded 7 goals.

If not directly by his performance, but by the way he maybe didn't inspire others?

Playing devil's advocate.
    Valencia are just a mess atm.

I just watched the highlights and he didn't seem to be tight enough for goal 3 and obviously walked later on. Goal 2 there was little he could do. Maybe goal 1 he could try and force Neymar left, but still tricky with so much space.

I know it's difficult in a disfunctional team, mind.
    Last edited by Liverdinner; 4-2-16 at 18:42.

So staying in the vein of CB's from La Liga how about the kid from Atletico Madrid Jose Gimenez

Overview
    • From a physicality point of view Jose Gimenez is about 6'1" and quite frankly a terrific athlete. Not slow, has excellent leaping ability which makes him very good in the air.
    • The first point that comes to mind when I think of Gimenez is aggression. He typifies what it means to be a CB for a team managed by Simeone. He's very no nonsense in the way he goes about defending. Sort of the opposite of Sakho. He never looks to dally around he will simply clear it into row Z. Very much a defender first mentality.
    • By no means is he really going to be a CB who will look to really build attacks out of the back. Though he is young enough at 21 to refine his game a bit
    • His anticipation is top class and he will always look to win the ball when he does commit rather than simply contain the attack.
    • He has a bit of desperado in him, going to the ground to make the sliding challenge and isn't afraid to put his body on the line to prevent a goal. The video below illustrates that
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svQBqRHzxlk
    • Currently he is partnered with Godin who is his CB partner at both club and international level.
    • For me he is one of my favorite CB's around and I think it would take a significant bid to pry him away from Atl Madrid, but I would do it.

Please see below for a couple of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dFHxktCRvs (Him when he was at Danubio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L0QvwxrNgA (Him at Atl vs Juve)

I can't see us paying what it would take to get him, as good a player as he is. Even if we could, it would be a large part of our budget.

That video is ******** btw, it hits him on the back, not the head.

I can't see us paying what it would take to get him, as good a player as he is. Even if we could, it would be a large part of our budget.

That video is ******** btw, it hits him on the back, not the head.
    which video?

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    which video?
    The one that says BRAVEST DIVING HEADER EVA!!!

The one that says BRAVEST DIVING HEADER EVA!!!
    Great title aside it shows the sort of awesome at the same time mental player he can be.

Great title aside it shows the sort of awesome at the same time mental player he can be.
    Aye he's very up for the fight. Added do his decent pace and impressive strength, he's quite the warrior cb.

Aye he's very up for the fight. Added do his decent pace and impressive strength, he's quite the warrior cb.
    Yes. Refined is not how I would describe him. He's a Uruguayan so he has that bit of crazy fight in him which I love.

Yes. Refined is not how I would describe him. He's a Uruguayan so he has that bit of crazy fight in him which I love.
    No, but Varane is pretty refined and I'm not sure it makes him the better player.

No, but Varane is pretty refined and I'm not sure it makes him the better player.
    I depends on your preference. Ideally I would love the balance between both refined and manic, but he's young enough to refine his game a bit without losing the crazy which makes him great already.

I think the thread has started in a good vein with CB's and I think we should put in a few more CB suggestions before moving to another position.

I depends on your preference. Ideally I would love the balance between both refined and manic, but he's young enough to refine his game a bit without losing the crazy which makes him great already.
    My old man always (well, sometimes) says that the best pairing is a brutish type and a more refined, classy, ballyplaying cb. Vidic-Ferdinand for example.

Though I like every player to be good on the ball.

My old man always (well, sometimes) says that the best pairing is a brutish type and a more refined, classy, ballyplaying cb. Vidic-Ferdinand for example.

Though I like every player to be good on the ball.
    Yes I think every player should be able to do the basics correctly. I don't like it when players go above their station though like Lovren trying to hit cross field passes.

I'll put my thoughts on the table about Matteo Musacchio. This is a player who has qualities that many of us are aware of.

Pros:

He's very mush suited to the high press which is perfect for the likes of Klopp and Pocchetino, who has a known admiration for him. He has the defensive instincts that can't be taught meaning his timing when he steps out to intercept oncoming danger is exemplary

Something that always worries me with our current CB's is the lack of ability to read the game. They're reactive. Musacchio is the total opposite. His proactive style and reading of the game are a key reason why his interception stats are always high in numbers. Over 100 in a particular season at over 3.2 per game. Another ideal skill set for a klopp team.

I like a CB with intelligence but also one that be aggressive in the tackle when needed, Mussachio fits the bill. He's not rash in the challenge but you see the South American robustness come to the fore when he's in a duel. At times we are far too kind.

Composure. Composure. Composure. Apparently he had a spell in midfield whilst playing in the Argentinian league and you can tell when you watch him step out into midfield with ease. He distributes the ball with precision, normally a forward pass, and can hit the space between the lines with his passing. The likes of Firmino and Phil would benefit from that.

He's at the perfect age to lead. He's not shy and has a big personality.

Cons

He's not the fastest of players and I do worry that he could be caught out in this league due to the fact that many teams look to play balls in behind defences. Recovery pace is a key skill set for this league but the most intelligent of players shouldn't have to rely on it. Hopefully he can be on of those.

Fitness. He's just recovered from a terrible injury and we have to see how he adapts to playing regular football again.

At times he can be too eager which can lead to petty fouls or capable attackers knocking the ball around him. It's minimal though.

Conclusion

The main thing that puts me off of this deal is the fact that he's just recovering from a long term injury. I'd do some serious monitoring whilst having conversations with his agent but I'd be seriously tempted to throw cash at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrams View Post
    I'll put my thoughts on the table about Matteo Musacchio. This is a player who has qualities that many of us are aware of.

Pros:

He's very mush suited to the high press which is perfect for the likes of Klopp and Pocchetino, who has a known admiration for him. He has the defensive instincts that can't be taught meaning his timing when he steps out to intercept oncoming danger is exemplary

Something that always worries me with our current CB's is the lack of ability to read the game. They're reactive. Musacchio is the total opposite. His proactive style and reading of the game are a key reason why his interception stats are always high in numbers. Over 100 in a particular season at over 3.2 per game. Another ideal skill set for a klopp team.

I like a CB with intelligence but also one that be aggressive in the tackle when needed, Mussachio fits the bill. He's not rash in the challenge but you see the South American robustness come to the fore when he's in a duel. At times we are far too kind.

Composure. Composure. Composure. Apparently he had a spell in midfield whilst playing in the Argentinian league and you can tell when you watch him step out into midfield with ease. He distributes the ball with precision, normally a forward pass, and can hit the space between the lines with his passing. The likes of Firmino and Phil would benefit from that.

He's at the perfect age to lead. He's not shy and has a big personality.

Cons

He's not the fastest of players and I do worry that he could be caught out in this league due to the fact that many teams look to play balls in behind defences. Recovery pace is a key skill set for this league but the most intelligent of players shouldn't have to rely on it. Hopefully he can be on of those.

Fitness. He's just recovered from a terrible injury and we have to see how he adapts to playing regular football again.

At times he can be too eager which can lead to petty fouls or capable attackers knocking the ball around him. It's minimal though.

Conclusion

The main thing that puts me off of this deal is the fact that he's just recovering from a long term injury. I'd do some serious monitoring whilst having conversations with his agent but I'd be seriously tempted to throw cash at him.
    His main quality that I love is his awareness. He has knack to position himself to make the play. Like the other two CB's we've talked about he has similar attributes in terms of physicality etc. The one thing though despite being the same same height as Mustafi and Gimenez he isn't as quick or nimble as either.