Notices
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    Quite disappointed with our innings so far but I think 145-150 is enough.
    Yeah, probably.

Been really impressed with the Netherlands bowling though.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    Yeah, probably.

Yeah they have upset teams before I won't be surprised if they did it again. Still remember that game vs England.
    ?

Yeah they have upset teams before I won't be surprised if they did it again. Still remember that game vs England.
    Yeah, twas shocking.

I don't get why the Netherlands gave van Beek the final over here? He'd been getting smacked around the ground up to that point and was clearly targeted by the Bangladeshi batsmen early on.

Yeah, probably.

This last over could end up costing The Netherlands. 14 off it, and Bangladesh end on 153/7. Is it enough though .. Bangladesh's bowling will have to be spot on.

So BD finish with 153/7, I have to say I'm not too happy with that innings but Tamim Iqbal scored a fantastic 83 to give us a chance. I have to praise the Dutch bowling attack though, thought they were fantastic.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    This last over could end up costing The Netherlands. 14 off it, and Bangladesh end on 153/7. Is it enough though .. Bangladesh's bowling will have to be spot on.
    Yeah, I agree.

As I said above, I just don't know why they gave van Beek that final over. I'd never seen him bowl previous to today (so he might be a great 'death' bowler), but he never looked like taking a wicket throughout his overs and was a bit all over the place.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Netherlands are doing well here. They're restricted Bangladesh to 112/5 off 15 overs.

Tamim is still there though and can help post a big enough score.
    153/7 so added 41 off the last 5 overs, no great acceleration (8.2 rpo for those 5 overs, 7.65 overall and 7.46 in the first 15 overs)

Both sides chasing to date were not very good sides, Zimbabwe set 158/8 which Hong Kong ended 14 short of, Afghanistan set 170/5 which Scotland fell 14 short of, so maybe Holland will fall 14 short to continue this trend, or take advantage of the lowest target and get closer or even pass it. I'm intrigued by the scores at 15 overs now, wonder how many the other sides managed off their first 15 and last 5.

World T20s - scores at 15 overs and off the last 5 (1 or 2 at the front indicates batting 1st or 2nd)

1 Afghanistan 120/2 and 50/3
    2 Scotland 120/4 and 36/1
    1 Ireland 112/2 and 42/3
    1 Bangladesh 112/5 and 41/2
    1 Zimbabwe 111/4 and 47/4
    2 Holland 100/3 and 45/4
    2 Hong Kong 91/3 and 53/3
    2 Oman TBC (70/1 after 8.5 overs)

EDIT : think I'll do new post updates rather than trawl back to this one.

So surprisingly Scotland kept pace with Afghanistan for 3/4 of their innings, but for the loss of 2 more wickets. Disappointing to score only 36 off their last 5 overs at 7.20 rpo. And perhaps more surprising was Hong Kong managing most runs off their last 5 overs compared to everyone else who's batted to date - 3 more even than Afghanistan even though Afghanistan started over 16 with an extra wicket in hand.

If you ordered them by fewest wickets lost then those losing only 2-3 made most runs from their last 5 overs, some correlation with those losing 4-5 except Scotland who really struggled despite scoring joint most runs so far off their first 15 overs. Be interesting to see how Holland begin their chase
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 9-3-16 at 16:40.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Myburgh averages 26.50 in 11 T20Is, pretty consistent too including 27 vs SAF and 35 and 22 vs IRE. Barresi is pretty handy too, slightly lower average but a HS of 75no and boasts a 48 vs ENG, pretty awful against other Test nations and his average boosted by 4 not outs (2 vs SCO)

Ben Cooper has a decent ODI average, not a dissimilar record to Barresi in T20Is but most of his runs/scores against minnows. Tom has a very good T20I record, averaging over 30 but with 3 not outs in 15 matches, a HS of 72no against Zimbabwe, a handy 40no vs New Zealand, but against England, Bangladesh, South Africa and Sri Lanka his record reads 8, 1, 1, 16 and 16

Borren seems to have been around forever and 2 days, modest 20.50 average in T20Is but has scores of 30 and 49 against England and New Zealand so handy. Van Der Merwe doesn't seem to be on my trusted source, Seelaar has no kind of batting record worthy of mention (4.91 ave, 9no HS) and it looks like the tail starts fairly early so if that was their best bowling loaded I think Bangladesh should shoot themselves if they lose!

21/1 off 4.3 overs with Barresi out, bit slow and they'll need something from their barrel makers.

Van Der Merwe has a decent T20I record, HS of 48 and average 24.40 although not out half the time (122 runs off 10 innings) Bukhari's record looks like that of a tailender, not out around a third of the time and still only averages 8.41 having made 143 runs in 24 innings which is about 6 runs per innings..

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    The India v Pakistan match has been moved from Dharamsala to Kolkata due to security concerns.

Bit more like it, 39/1 off 6.0 overs so 6.5 rpo and not a big target (less than 7.75) Barrel makers might decide which way this one goes, and Myburgh has already hit four fours. Will the Bangladesh bowling perhaps be exposed?

Mention of 14 off an over being costly, Hossain just went for that with a new batsman at the crease....

It's looking a good game this at the moment.

Another wicket but momentum now building for Holland, 63/2 off 9 overs so 91 more needed off 11 at around 8.0 with 8.0 wickets in hand.

I'd want to be leaving around 45 runs off the last 5 overs maximum, if they're aiming at that then they'd want to be around 105-110 by the 15th over which is easily doable. I think Bangladesh will be a bit worried, only real thing I can think of in their favour is no batsman has gone on yet.

Bangladesh only hit 10 fours in their whole innings, Holland have already hit 11. Bangladesh did hit 6 sixes though, didn't someone claim in the recent past that the side that hits most sixes wins....? (ODIs/T20Is, can't remember)

Brilliant bowling Shakib!
    ?

Gonna be nip and tuck. Might try and keep that 15-5 overs table going for a bit, Holland 100/3 which is a bit shy of where they'd like to be and should have been. I think the deshi tail is probably a bit less static and capable of the odd wag than Holland's, and the rate as has been the case with all chases thus far, a bit too close to 2 runs per ball.

Required run rate up to 13.00 it will take something spectacular from the Dutch to win this.
    ?

Van Der Merwe out, leaves the onus on the batsman seems to be the best Holland have, TC. Still no dutch sixes, but 14 fours.

Maybe the tail can edge and nurdle and dead bat a few runs, Cooper surely is the key here and Bangladesh are nearly out of their best/better two bowlers (Mortaza and Al-Hasan)

Run rate up to 13.00 it will take something spectacular from the Dutch to win this.
    All chasing sides have come up against the same, all sides so far that lost fewer than 4 wickets at the 15 over mark made another 50+ runs which might indicate/suggest Holland might reach 150+ ................... That said the dutch lower order looks like they should queue to see who bats at #11...........

Pakistan have never lost in Kolkata. That streak will end this time

Oh wow what a big over. Some stupid bowling and good hitting has given the Netherlands a chance. 17 req from 6 balls.
    ?

Oh wow what a big over. Some stupid bowling and good hitting has given the Netherlands a chance. 17 req from 6 balls.
    9 runs too many for the Netherlands. Bangladesh complete the win.

Woah what a tight game, a win by 8 runs. Overall I'm a little disappointed as we didn't win the game convincingly. But the old heads Tamim (with the bat), Shakib and Mashrafe were excellent today.
    ?

Last over, as mentioned by Grenny, ended up being the difference. Interesting how Bangladesh do away from home this time.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA84 View Post
    9 runs too many for the Netherlands. Bangladesh complete the win.
    Needed that.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeKloppo View Post
    Last over, as mentioned by Grenny, ended up being the difference. Interesting how Bangladesh do away from home this time.
    We've not toured outside BD in over a year. No money to travel.
    ?

Game over for Holland, I'd argue the lack of any batsman going on from a good start probably cost them more than the final over when bowling.

Myburgh 29 runs off 29 balls
    B Cooper 20 runs off 15 balls
    Borren 29 runs off 28 balls
    T Cooper 15 runs off 18 balls
    Bhukari 14 runs off 5 balls

Great for middle and lower order cameos late on, but none went on to make the 40+ that might have made the difference. 35 was the biggest partnership, they lost regular wickets after Borren went - 2 runs, 7 runs, 19 runs, then 5 unbroken the partnerships after that. Let the side down a bit not adding 50+ in the last 5 overs, perhaps that could become a trend and tell tale sign if the side chasing is going to win......

About middling for the chasing side to date, 100/3 in-between Scotland's 120/4 and Hong Kong's 91/3, and their 45/4 halfway between Hong Kong's 53/3 in the last 5 overs and Scotland's 36/1
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 9-3-16 at 14:11.

The whole Oman team is made up of migrants from India and Pakistan.
    ?

The whole Oman team is made up of migrants from India and Pakistan.
    Same as UAE, Hong Kong etc.

Even the Afghanis have mostly come from playing in Pakistan for local teams. Though I think they're all Afghanis.

I'm going for a big win to Ireland in this one .. by 40 runs or 7 wickets.

Same as UAE, Hong Kong etc.

Even the Afghanis have mostly come from playing in Pakistan for local teams. Though I think they're all Afghanis.
    Nothing beats the England scavenging around for 2nd rate South African players 7-8 years ago.
    ?

The state Pakistan were supposed to play a match in said they can't guarantee security. It is not decided yet.
    dharmsala is not a big city,almost a hill station, it is very difficult to provide security there. pak have requested to change the venue ,the state government has also not guaranteed proper security to the BCCI . the venue is most beautiful in india and i'm disappointed its been shifted.
    Last edited by Sarthak kesar; 9-3-16 at 16:10.