Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 2977

Thread: The Cricket Thread

  1. #1 Stumps The Cricket Thread 
    LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    88,391
    New thread required and with the 2016 ICC World Twenty20 tournament starting tomorrow this seems like a good time to start it.

    For the second time, the tournament will feature 16 teams. All ten full members qualified automatically, joined by the six associate members that qualified through the 2015 ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier, played in Ireland and Scotland between 6 to 26 July 2015. The qualifying teams are Scotland, Ireland, the Netherlands, Afghanistan, Hong Kong and Oman. Oman is the only team making its tournament debut.

    The top eight Full Member nations in the ICC T20I Championship rankings as of 30 April 2014 automatically progressed to the Super 10 stage, with the remaining eight teams compete in the group stage, from which two teams advance to the Super 10 stage.

    Group A
    Bangladesh
    Netherlands
    Ireland
    Oman

    Group B
    Scotland
    Zimbabwe
    Afghanistan
    Hong Kong

    The winners of each group then join the main tournament.

    Group 1
    Sri Lanka
    South Africa
    West Indies
    England
    Group B winner

    Group 2
    India
    New Zealand
    Pakistan
    Australia
    Group A winner

    All following so far?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    88,391
    Here are the fixtures for the First Round

    March

    8 Zimbabwe v Hong Kong, Nagpur (09:30 GMT)

    8 Scotland v Afghanistan, Nagpur(14:00 GMT)

    9 Bangladesh v Netherlands, Dharamsala (09:30 GMT)

    9 Ireland v Oman, Dharamsala(14:00 GMT)

    10 Scotland v Zimbabwe, Nagpur(09:30 GMT)

    10 Hong Kong v Afghanistan, Nagpur (14:00 GMT)

    11 Netherlands v Oman, Dharamsala (09:30 GMT)

    11 Bangladesh v Ireland, Dharamsala(14:00 GMT)

    12 Zimbabwe v Afghanistan, Nagpur (09:30 GMT)

    12 Scotland v Hong Kong, Nagpur(14:00 GMT)

    13 Netherlands v Ireland, Dharamsala(09:30 GMT)

    13 Bangladesh v Oman, Dharamsala (14:00 GMT)
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,245
    Thanks for the effort LJOC. 2 very tricky ties for the tigers. I've got the week off, will be following most of the tournament. Cmon you Tigers!
    ?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    31,460
    Will be interesting to see who makes it into the competition proper out of the minnows.

    Bangladesh should top Group 1 and I'm going for Afghanistan in Group 2.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    31,460
    As to the competition proper, I'm going for SA to top Group 1, with England in 2nd, Windies in 3rd, Sri Lanka 4th and Afghanistan 5th.

    Group 2 will be topped by India, with Australia in 2nd, NZ in 3rd, Pakistan 4th and Bangladesh 5th (although, Bangladesh and Pakistan could closely contest 4th and 5th).

    Being honest, SA and England got the easier draw here, although watch for the Windies, they could well be dark horses.

    Hard to see past India winning the whole thing though .. playing at home is just too much of an advantage over the rest.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Group A
    Bangladesh
    Netherlands
    Ireland
    Oman

    Group B
    Scotland
    Zimbabwe
    Afghanistan
    Hong Kong
    Think Ireland will not be happy with that draw, Bangladesh and Holland play in World Cups and are tough prospects, but in reverse I think the scots will be quietly pleased with their group with the Afghans likely the biggest threat and an, at best, inconsistent zimmers side the other threat.

    Be interesting to see Afghanistan, Ireland, Holland, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh play out an extended ODI tournament (between themselves) and/or a longer format over 2 innings. Plenty have cried out for Ireland to get Test status, maybe a home bias shown by UK and Irish fans, but I'm not convinced they are ahead let alone that far of other contenders.

    Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    The winners of each group then join the main tournament.

    Group 1
    Sri Lanka
    South Africa
    West Indies
    England
    Group B winner

    Group 2
    India
    New Zealand
    Pakistan
    Australia
    Group A winner

    All following so far?
    I think England will be happy with those groups, toughest that could likely come out of group B is Afghanistan and they've avoided India and Australia who are two sides tend to be there or thereabouts in shorter formats, plus the kiwis who can be a force on their day, although so can Pakistan, South Africa and the windies
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 7-3-16 at 16:22.
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    Will be interesting to see who makes it into the competition proper out of the minnows.

    Bangladesh should top Group 1 and I'm going for Afghanistan in Group 2.
    I'm not so convinced Bangladesh are favourites, so let's have a look at LOI head to heads within the group(s)

    Group A head to heads (T20Is then ODIs)

    BAN 1-1 HOL, BAN 1-1 HOL
    BAN 3-1 IRE, BAN 5-2 IRE
    HOL 2-2 IRE, HOL 1-7 IRE

    Oman have played no T20Is vs their group rivals. Ireland and Holland have tied one ODI and Ireland were well placed to win in a no result (274 vs 125/5). It is interesting to read a foot note in the abandoned HOL vs IRE T20I where in June 2004 the ICC decreed they'd count results in official records where no ball had been bowled IF the toss had taken place. What's the point?!?!?

    Depending on how many games are in the preliminaries I'd say both Holland and Ireland pose a threat, one win could throw favourite status into a spin. Even assuming Oman lose every game then if Ireland beat Bangladesh and Holland beat both then Holland will progress, even with a situation where each beats the other it could come down to NRR. Just looked and it is the same set up as groups were when Pakistan and India didn't reach the super eights in 2007 (?)

    For a Test nation Bangladesh don't have quite the dominant record in either shorter format you might expect

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_ICC_World_Twenty20

    Group B head to heads (T20Is then ODIs)

    AFG 2-2 HOK, AFG 1-0 HOK
    AFG 5-0 SCO, AFG 6-3 SCO
    AFG 4-0 ZIM, AFG 8-6 ZIM
    HOK 1-2 SCO, HOK 1-0 SCO

    Scotland haven't played Zimbabwe in any format and neither have Hong Kong

    Suprisingly the only side in the group to best or hold their own against Afghanistan in T20Is is Hong Kong, Zimbabwe and Scotland with more ODI experience are losing but not horrendously in head to heads in ODIs. I wouldn't be too surprised if the zimmers somehow managed to sneak through, tough one to call out of them and the Afghans, I think the scots just don't have enough
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,958
    Just seen the other thread closed. Just a bit of a rant about yesterday.

    Absolutely ********** off that we threw that away. Just cant get my head round the SA selection. AMla scores well vs england and is then dropped for the 2 vs aus. I went all the way to the world cup last year only to see behardien and duminy **** that catch up against NZ. Speaking of behardien, I do not think I have seen a less talented cricketer ever play for SA. What in the **** is his role in the team?? And it cant be to meet the quota crap coz amla could have played instead. MORANS!!
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,801
    Not sure Pakistan will play the tournament so two places can be up for grabs in group 2
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,245
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeKloppo View Post
    Not sure Pakistan will play the tournament so two places can be up for grabs in group B
    What happened there?
    ?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,801
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    What happened there?
    The state Pakistan were supposed to play a match in said they can't guarantee security. It is not decided yet.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,241
    Hope Oman do well...just so I can say there name in a disappointed American accent. "Omannnn".

    Although I'd prefer it if England win. Joe Root 25-1 for top scorer, if England go far that may have value
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    31,460
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeKloppo View Post
    The state Pakistan were supposed to play a match in said they can't guarantee security. It is not decided yet.
    I hope they get it sorted, would be terrible if Pakistan do not compete due to political reasons.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,245
    Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    I hope they get it sorted, would be terrible if Pakistan do not compete due to political reasons.
    Agreed.
    ?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    I hope they get it sorted, would be terrible if Pakistan do not compete due to political reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    Agreed.
    Always is a shame. People look at the win for Denmark in the Euros (1992) as phenomenal, but they shouldn't have been there as Yugoslavia qualified not them. Takes the shine off it a bit, thankfully (in one sense) our controversial 'qualification' in 2005/06 didn't result in us retaining the European Cup, not that I didn't want us to, because there was so much fuss over us being granted a place.

    I always maintain, regardless of who it is, that a champion should defend their trophy and so any rules of qualification that don't produce a defending champion should be changed so they do. It devalues a competition to have teams not defending titles, and indeed having teams qualify and not take place so other teams take their place.
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    88,391
    Zimbabwe v Hong Kong, Nagpur (09:30 GMT)

    Zimbabwe 158-8
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Zimbabwe v Hong Kong, Nagpur (09:30 GMT)

    Zimbabwe 158-8
    Hong Kong making a fight of it, but 81 runs off six overs is a tall order methinks. If Atkinson can stay in and get some support they'd still need someone to hit something like 20-30 at a run a ball.

    91/3 off 15 overs, leaves 68 runs needed off 30 balls with seven wickets in hand. I think they'd maybe trade a wicket for 10-15 runs now, my estimation of how far behind they are
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    Now 4 down with 22 balls left to go and 51 more runs needed.

    I'm a bit bemused by the Zimbabwe tactics/captain, Tiripano bowled his opening two overs for six runs and a wicket and was taken off. He's come back on and taken out Atkinson, but surely at 24/1 after 6 overs you push for the second wicket not chop and change?!?

    And for the love of dog, please will someone get rid of Panyangara for good. Averages 26.23 in Tests with the ball thanks to 18 cheap wickets against Bangladesh and a couple of decent Tests vs Pakistan in Zimbabwe, and in T20Is averages 19.94 thanks to playing Bangladesh and non-Test nations plus the odd effort again against Pakistan. His ODI record speaks volumes, 64 wickets @ 46.67 because he's had to play a few good countries (50.00 vs AUS, 68.50 vs ENG, 53.00 vs IND, 87.50 vs NZL, 59.60 vs PAK, 62.67 vs SAF, 49.67 vs SRL, 82.00 vs WIN) - even the minnows bar Bangladesh have got his number when it comes to ODIs.

    Now 120/4 off 17 overs, 39 needed off 18 balls with six wickets in hand but over 2 runs per ball/13 per over needed. Zimbabwe will do badly to lose this, or Hong Kong well to win this.



    And now 130/5 off 18.2 with 10 balls to score 29 runs and five wickets in hand, what price now those 10-15 runs for a score of 140/6 needing 19 off 10 balls.......? Pants-yangara has ended 0/27, Chatara has just bagged his second wicket so surely now game over at 130/6 with only 9 balls left to get 29 runs...
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,860
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Now 4 down with 22 balls left to go and 51 more runs needed.

    I'm a bit bemused by the Zimbabwe tactics/captain, Tiripano bowled his opening two overs for six runs and a wicket and was taken off. He's come back on and taken out Atkinson, but surely at 24/1 after 6 overs you push for the second wicket not chop and change?!?

    And for the love of dog, please will someone get rid of Panyangara for good. Averages 26.23 in Tests with the ball thanks to 18 cheap wickets against Bangladesh and a couple of decent Tests vs Pakistan in Zimbabwe, and in T20Is averages 19.94 thanks to playing Bangladesh and non-Test nations plus the odd effort again against Pakistan. His ODI record speaks volumes, 64 wickets @ 46.67 because he's had to play a few good countries (50.00 vs AUS, 68.50 vs ENG, 53.00 vs IND, 87.50 vs NZL, 59.60 vs PAK, 62.67 vs SAF, 49.67 vs SRL, 82.00 vs WIN) - even the minnows bar Bangladesh have got his number when it comes to ODIs.

    Now 120/4 off 17 overs, 39 needed off 18 balls with six wickets in hand but over 2 runs per ball/13 per over needed. Zimbabwe will do badly to lose this, or Hong Kong well to win this.



    And now 130/5 off 18.2 with 10 balls to score 29 runs and five wickets in hand, what price now those 10-15 runs for a score of 140/6 needing 19 off 10 balls.......? Pants-yangara has ended 0/27, Chatara has just bagged his second wicket so surely now game over at 130/6 with only 9 balls left to get 29 runs...
    This is a pretty crazy game.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    Looking like Zimbabwe will be looking at the Afghan game to maybe be the group decider, certainly the fixtures have that game up last and if Zimbabwe finish this one off, even if they lose to Scotland they can still beat the Afghans to qualify (NRR permitting of course, but in a one-off head-to-head game you can do twice as much gaining)

    23 now needed off the last over with just 4 wickets in hand, at least 4 fours wanted I'd suggest if not sixes.
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    run, leg bye, no run, no run, maybe not the best over but the "in man" has failed to make significant contact.

    Shame really, sure they were never likely to win but seems like going out with a bit of a whimper. 14 runs win for the zimmers, bit of credit for Hong Kong but just 8 runs off the last over and no wicket lost is a disappointing conclusion even if the last ball went for four.
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,860
    Afghanistan going well here. 97-1 after 12.2 overs. Shahzad is looking really good at the moment for them.

    I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Machan bat for Scotland. He really impressed me in the One Day World Cup last year, and will be key in chasing down what looks to be a fairly big total.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,860
    And Shahzad is dismissed.

    Impressive innings mind.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    Decent total by Afghanistan, 175/5. I think the scots may struggle to get close here.

    The Afghans have played a few Test nations in T20Is, lost 2/2 vs India, 1/1 vs England, Pakistan and South Africa. Lost their only T20I vs Bangladesh, beaten Zimbabwe 4/4 though
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    scots, like Hong Kong, making a decent fist of it, but 39 needed off the last 3 overs with six wickets in hand might be a tough ask.

    Pretty sure Zadran is the Afghans' key bowler and he's got another over after this one. I think the scots need to just 'go for it', although they will obviously have to connect a bit better than the Hong Kong batsmen did late on in their game. They may feel the need to try and get 16+ off the penultimate over, no good falling short with wickets in hand if they really want their first win in this competition
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    31,460
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    scots, like Hong Kong, making a decent fist of it, but 39 needed off the last 3 overs with six wickets in hand might be a tough ask.

    Pretty sure Zadran is the Afghans' key bowler and he's got another over after this one. I think the scots need to just 'go for it', although they will obviously have to connect a bit better than the Hong Kong batsmen did late on in their game. They may feel the need to try and get 16+ off the penultimate over, no good falling short with wickets in hand if they really want their first win in this competition
    Afghanistan just good for the Scots on this occasion .. I'm still going with my earlier prediction of the Afghani's and Bangladesh to qualify.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,245
    Who is the female commentator?
    ?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,499
    Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    Afghanistan just good for the Scots on this occasion .. I'm still going with my earlier prediction of the Afghani's and Bangladesh to qualify.
    I'm going to back Ireland and Zimbabwe, not just to be different and also not just because those are the two I'd rather see go through, but I think it will be good for the pair too and I think they have a chance.

    Bangladesh ought to have too much for Ireland, but they can only influence one of Ireland's games (the head-to-head) and if Ireland can up their game, kick off with a win over Oman then even if they lose to Bangladesh there's a chance if they beat Holland and Holland beat Bangladesh (and given Ireland have the upper hand in ODIs over Holland, Bangladesh and Holland are neck and neck in their limited LOIs to date) then anything is possible.

    On the wiki page it doesn't state what will happen if teams are tied on points, but I'm confident the tie-breaker in cricket competitions is points then NRR then head to head then probably draw lots
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,860
    Netherlands are doing well here. They're restricted Bangladesh to 112/5 off 15 overs.

    Tamim is still there though and can help post a big enough score.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    Netherlands are doing well here. They're restricted Bangladesh to 112/5 off 15 overs.

    Tamim is still there though and can help post a big enough score.
    Quite disappointed with our innings so far but I think 145-150 is enough.
    ?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •