Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Owen becomes LFC international ambassador

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Quote Originally Posted by LChristina View Post
    Suarez grew up playing for us, did he? Suarez wasn't elected LFC anything, why do you bring him up now? To say we don't want the best players in the world playing for us would be completely stupid in any case.
    If your post was in reply to mine - I don't think you got the spirit of it. I didn't mention Suarez I only stated that Own wouldn't bite anyone. He's not likely to do anything worse than have a boring voice.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    It seems some are not happy with this. Why do I get that feeling I wonder...
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Fair play to him , LFC did not fulfill the ambitions of a'lot of players over the years which is why they left. He gave us his best years.

He gave us his best years? What about everything the club gave him, facilitated for him in order for him to develop into the player that attracted the likes of Barca and Real? We gave him the opportunity and chances to develop, and to become a star, again this is in my opinion. He was immensely privileged when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LChristina View Post
    He gave us his best years? What about everything the club gave him, facilitated for him in order for him to develop into the player that attracted the likes of Barca and Real? We gave him the opportunity and chances to develop, and to become a star, again this is in my opinion. He was immensely privileged when you think about it.
    I think any one who has played for the club is immensely privileged , it doesn't mean they owe a debt to the club . He payed the club back with interest and wanted a new challenge. He didn't leave under the best circumstances but players rarely do if they are still at the peak of their game.

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Hopefully he'll stop referring to Man Utd as "we" and "us"

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Hopefully he'll stop referring to Man Utd as "we" and "us"
    And who can forget this one...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...iggest-3441130

Michael Owen: Manchester United are biggest club in the world

“It’s everything you would expect from a top, top team. They are the biggest club in the world, and everything from the kit man to the canteen girls and through to the manager is first class.”

If he makes more of these, it's a great move....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...soccer-skills/

Sorry but he left a bad taste with me when he wound his contract down to get off cheap to Madrid.

The best international ambassador this club could have had is Stevie G.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    Sorry but he left a bad taste with me when he wound his contract down to get off cheap to Madrid.

Who said he was going to leave for Chelsea if we didn't win the CL.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    Who said he was going to leave for Chelsea if we didn't win the CL.
    Something to do with the owners farting around with the contract and there was no contract for him to sign even though he wanted to sign one. Low and behold as soon as the Chelsea links came strong, oh look there is a contract to sign.

Nothing to see here, move on...and he didn't leave us did he.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Something to do with the owners farting around with the contract and there was no contract for him to sign even though he wanted to sign one. Low and behold as soon as the Chelsea links came strong, oh look there is a contract to sign.

Nothing to see here, move on...and he didn't leave us did he.
    We won the CL , other wise he was gone he even stated it before the game. Just goes to show any player will leave when the club isn't fulfilling a players ambitions.

we won the CL , other wise he was gone he even stated it before the game.
    Because there was no contract offered to him before the CL that season. When there was a contract offered to him, he signed it.

Because there was no contract offered to him before the CL that season. When there was a contract offered to him, he signed it.
    After we had won the CL , he had said in interviews if we didn't win the CL he would be moving on , everyone knew he was gone if we didn't win that final , he would not of signed the new deal. The contract wasn't offered until after the final because of that

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post

True but Steve Mcmanaman did the same thing and is still lauded here. In fact what he did was worse. He gave up trying in his final season on the pitch.

Henderson Captain and Judas as embassador.. glad that FSG are honouring our "tradition"...

We won the CL , other wise he was gone he even stated it before the game. Just goes to show any player will leave when the club isn't fulfilling a players ambitions.

Bit of a generalisation.

It's like saying we'd pick any player to be the club's first international ambassador. Someone in America decided on Owen, or maybe other picks didn't want the role/job.

Quote Originally Posted by agb1037 View Post
    [/B] Bit of a generalisation.
    Just change it to a plural.... 'some players will leave when the club isn't fulfilling their ambitions.' Works better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Liverpool FC has today announced that Michael Owen will become the club's first official international ambassador.

This new role will see the former Liverpool striker engaging with fans around the world and representing the club at various fan and commercial events.

Owen, a product of the Reds' youth system, notched 158 goals in 297 appearances across seven seasons and was part of the team that won the historic treble of 2001, most notably scoring both goals in the 2-1 FA Cup final win over Arsenal.

He remains the last Englishman and only Liverpool player to be named the best in Europe while at the club, having been awarded the Ballon d'Or in 2001.

As international ambassador, Owen makes a welcome return to the club that gave him his first-team debut 20 years ago.

On the appointment, he said: "As a Liverpool fan I am honoured and delighted to have been asked to play this international role for the club.

"Liverpool FC is the world's greatest football family and it's great for me to be able to represent the club in an official capacity once again."
    I can't say I'm pleased with his appointment, for me he doesn't deserve it for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Yep, not many of these moaners would turn down a job offer playing for Manure.
    Exactly, what's wrong with him playing for Man United, seriously?

He was brilliant player for us because he was a winner, he was ambitious and he was strong minded. Reasons why he went to a club like United at that time.

And reasons why he doesn't care what some Liverpool fans think about that move.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Wouldn't be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz123 View Post
    Henderson Captain and Judas as embassador.. glad that FSG are honouring our "tradition"...
    Yeah because FSG choose Henderson to be the captain don't they...

I agree. Think it's time to forgive, I was disgusted when he joined utd in all fairness and some of comments were annoying. He gave us the best years of his life and that I am thankful for.

Barlow Foley is offline Armchair supporter
    Strange appointment, but wish him well.
    Highlights one of the perils of having owners who call footy "soccer." On paper Owen should be an LFC legend but anyone with any knowledge of the club would not even consider him for the role. Wonder why he took the job? Poor sod must have been hit hard by the bedroom tax.

Yeah because FSG choose Henderson to be the captain don't they...

Owen being ambassador of the club is a good thing, He did amazing things for us and I still like the guy even though he went to the darkside for a short period.

Excellent player, Humble, Nice and a good role model for Liverpool.
    Liverpool fan for 35 years ... YNWA & Justice for the 96.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKirky View Post

Owen being ambassador of the club is a good thing, He did amazing things for us and I still like the guy even though he went to the darkside for a short period.

Excellent player, Humble, Nice and a good role model for Liverpool.
    I have no idea what the duties of a modern day 'ambassador' involves but in my mind, it should be weighted heavily on luring and attracting players to the club. To that end I feel there were perhaps better candidates for the role.

That said I have no issue with Owen, he wanted to come back but we opted not to resign him. After that he took the best offer on the table. We move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
    I have no idea what the duties of a modern day 'ambassador' involves but in my mind, it should be weighted heavily on luring and attracting players to the club. To that end I feel there were perhaps better candidates for the role.

That said I have no issue with Owen, he wanted to come back but we opted not to resign him. After that he took the best offer on the table. We move on.

duties include attending matches, working with commercial partners, supporting club-wide initiatives and working as a mentor back at the Academy.

Ambassador isn't bringing players in or contracts etc that's the director of football, manager and owners.

Owen will just be doing the above duties.
    Liverpool fan for 35 years ... YNWA & Justice for the 96.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKirky View Post

duties include attending matches, working with commercial partners, supporting club-wide initiatives and working as a mentor back at the Academy.

Ambassador isn't bringing players in or contracts etc that's the director of football, manager and owners.

Owen will just be doing the above duties.
    Yes you're right. Never hurts wheeling out a club icon though, especially when in advanced negotiations. Think Real did that with Zizu when he was in a similar role. Think Viera gets involved sometimes too. All about presenting the best possible 'brand' when players are in demand.

If we were trying to attract a young player who was wanted by a host of clubs, bringing Stevie along (for example) for a chat might clinch the deal. Owen may just bore the player half to death with his horse racing chat!

Barnsey would have been my pick, but good luck to him anyway.