Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Owen becomes LFC international ambassador

1. #1 Default Michael Owen becomes LFC international ambassador 
    LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Liverpool FC has today announced that Michael Owen will become the club's first official international ambassador.

This new role will see the former Liverpool striker engaging with fans around the world and representing the club at various fan and commercial events.

Owen, a product of the Reds' youth system, notched 158 goals in 297 appearances across seven seasons and was part of the team that won the historic treble of 2001, most notably scoring both goals in the 2-1 FA Cup final win over Arsenal.

He remains the last Englishman and only Liverpool player to be named the best in Europe while at the club, having been awarded the Ballon d'Or in 2001.

As international ambassador, Owen makes a welcome return to the club that gave him his first-team debut 20 years ago.

On the appointment, he said: "As a Liverpool fan I am honoured and delighted to have been asked to play this international role for the club.

"Liverpool FC is the world's greatest football family and it's great for me to be able to represent the club in an official capacity once again."
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    I wonder if he comes across as dull when he's being translated into other languages

Screwed the club over to leave, went on to play for Utd...now club ambassador.:FP:

Surely this is a joke?

:FP::FP::FP::FP:

This is surely a joke! Can't have an ex united player back at the club. Must be a million other ex Liverpool players we would rather see in this role.

What? I'm confused. Didn't he abandon us the very first chance he got? Why would we make him LFC anything.

Can we not have Luis Garcia instead please?

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    I wonder if he comes across as dull when he's being translated into other languages
    Conjures up an image of his commentary being dubbed for a South American audience by one of their crazy commentators. Could even they do anything with it?

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Conjures up an image of his commentary being dubbed for a South American audience by one of their crazy commentators. Could even they do anything with it?
    The sheer amount of "errrs" and "yeahs" would be mind boggling for them

Gerrard or Carragher would have been a better option,Owen is an ex-United.:FP:

Why him? surely there were better options to fill this role - Carra/barnes/didi - Heck even traore or dudek

Sad news......
    Sadder than Origi 's injury

At first I was confused. Now I'm just laughing, because surely this is a joke. Good one, LFC! <3

Quote Originally Posted by LChristina View Post
    First I was confused. Now I'm just laughing, because surely this is a joke. Good one, LFC! <3
    I was petrified.

Time to forgive, IMO. He did make some serious judgement errors but we cannot deny he also served us well and he is a product of our youth set-up.

We need to practice YNWA and that applies to all those who served LFC including the ones that won us some silverware. We need to bring all the missing sheep home, slowly but surely! We need unity and harmony in our family.

Well if LFC can look forward the kind of enthusiastic, entertaining and down right brilliant promotion "MO" delivers here, then we're very lucky to have him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRG57-xJyOQ

I don't know if FSG think we're all high after the recent wins but I'm certainly not enamoured by this move.

Many people forget, that to others around the world this lad was a Superstar of epic proportions. Is some lad in Jakarta going to be happier to see Micheal Owen, or Steve Finnan?
    Need to move on from the fact he joined the Mancs, it can only be a good thing for him to represent us abroad.

*as long as he's not allowed to speak, just wave and smile like Prince Phillip*

Hope he does well , always was an Owen fan he gave 8 of his best years to us. Mcmanaman left , Rush left , even KK left and went on to manage other clubs. Just give the guy credit for what he done for the club.

Quote:

Throughout '03/'04, Owen had been making the right noises about signing a new contract. The club had foolishly allowed it to run down and Owen was seeing out the last of it whilst secretly having no intention of signing a new one. He sat on the bench for the qualifying rounds of the Champions League in order that he wouldn't be cup-tied and forced his move to Real Madrid for the frankly ludicrous price of eight million pounds, with Antonio Nunez coming in the opposite direction.

Most Reds wouldn't have begrudged him the move but his behaviour cost the club a substantial transfer fee and cemented the ideas many had about him. Sadly for Owen, the switch to Real was the beginning of the end for his career.When he left he had spoken about fighting for "the big trophies" with the Spaniards. In his first year away, Liverpool, with their own Spaniards, won the biggest trophy of all. Amidst the delirium, some schadenfreude was evident in certain Liverpool fans.

Owen scored 18 goals in 41 appearances, mostly as sub, for Real and moved on, unwanted, at the end of the season. Jamie Carragher and others have spoken about trying to get Owen back to Liverpool, and Rafa Benitez was genuinely interested, but Madrid wanted over sixteen million pounds. Given the manner and price of his departure, that deal was never going to happen and Newcastle stumped up the money instead.

From that point on, Michael Owen's career has been on a slow and painful wind down due to his horrific injury record. ACL injuries as well as countless hamstring tears, strains and snaps destroyed his electric pace but he still managed 26 goals in 71 appearances over three years before his moves to United and latterly, Stoke.

The 'needle' between Owen and Liverpool fans has built considerably in recent years, with Owen himself stoking the embers of resentment with his constant public wittering about how much he loved his time in Manchester and how wonderful Alex Ferguson is.

I would really like to know who at LFC came up with this brilliant freaking idea and where were all the sane voices?

M.O. as a Liverpool FC ambassador?? :FP: :FP: :FP:

How about the LFC Ivory Towers going one better and appointing certain Eel Hadjee Diouf as his twin ambassador to really make a point...
    Last edited by Patrick_; 21-4-16 at 19:38. Reason: error

I really dont believe this

shocking decision, that role should be going to Barnes or someone like that.

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Should of been given to Hamann.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGirum View Post
    Time to forgive, IMO. He did make some serious judgement errors but we cannot deny he also served us well and he is a product of our youth set-up.

We need to practice YNWA and that applies to all those who served LFC including the ones that won us some silverware. We need to bring all the missing sheep home, slowly but surely! We need unity and harmony in our family.
    I agree. Time to change our attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    Probably Owen has been appointed because younger fans will associate with him easier , a'lot of fans under 20 likely don't know much about John Barnes throughout the world. Owen is still a hugely popular figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    Probably Owen has been appointed because younger fans will associate with him easier , a'lot of fans under 20 likely don't know much about John Barnes throughout the world. Owen is still a hugely popular figure.
    Stevie Mac then, Luis Garcia.... anyone else TBH

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    Barnes actually does do that role but unofficially.

Stevie Mac then, Luis Garcia.... anyone else TBH

Why Stevie Mac ? wouldn't he be just as Controversial after his antics with Barca then going to Madrid ? Why does Owen get the criticism

Why Stevie Mac ? wouldn't he be just as Controversial after his antics with Barca then going to Madrid ? Why does Owen get the criticism
    Nah, not to me anyway. I've always liked him, speaks really highly of the club and he's a local lad. Plus he's not dull as a spoon

FYI I'd have Digger as number 1 choice every day of the week

Nah, not to me anyway. I've always liked him, speaks really highly of the club and he's a local lad. Plus he's not dull as a spoon

FYI I'd have Digger as number 1 choice every day of the week
    So basically you have nothing against Owens appointment you just think he's a dull character.

So basically you have nothing against Owens appointment you just think he's a dull character.
    No - I don't think he's a great representative of the club and there are many better options out there