Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Man Utd fan here to show respect and solidarity

1. #1 Default Man Utd fan here to show respect and solidarity 
    Lostverses is offline Armchair supporter
    It has been a horrendous 27 years for you all. You fought and fought and fought for your voice to be heard, and yesterday, finally, you were proven to be absolutely and unequivocally correct. The memory of Hillsborough will remain with anyone who was alive at that time, but I can't even bring myself to understand what the families and you all went through that day and for the last 27 years.

I know the rivalry between United and Liverpool is special, but at times a minority goes beyond what the vast majority of us believe. Yes, when at Anfield, our fans are very vocal in their offensive chanting. That disgusts me and the vast majority of us. I know my words mean nothing here but it's true, they do not speak for he majority of us.

I feel compelled to come here because I grew up with United in my blood, as you all did with Liverpool, but football is our love first and foremost. I'm sick of the hatred. Rivalry and competition is one thing, but the outright hatred is beyond me. I would love nothing more than to see our two clubs back at the top again challenging each other for the league and in Europe. I'm further sickened by the press today, namely the Times and the well known red top which will remain nameless and their lack of coverage in today's papers. This is a last gasp attempt by the establishment to save face but the game is up, we all know you are right, they are wrong. Don't allow the actions of these editors to consume you, they are not worth your time.

Now that you have justice in your fight I truly hope you all find peace in this and the anger can turn to happier memories and reflection.

Well done for not giving up. Justice has finally been served and as an Englishman, a football fan, a Man Utd fan and a human, I am incredibly proud of your efforts. Wish you all the best for the future.

YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Some things are bigger than rivalry! Thats a really decent post. In this day and age we should all be grateful we get the luxury of a fantastic league to enjoy, the safety of our grounds and being treated with respect as supporters.
    I'd like to think that Hillsborough was the turning point and that so much which is positive has come out of it - and not least of all the fact the police and the press cannot treat people with the contempt so obviously levied against the Hillsborough victims and their families.

Thanks Lostverses - and enjoy your cup final!

kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    You have my respect and thanks for coming here and posting this.

Well said .
    I'm sure your words are the thoughts shared by the majority of all football fans and decent people .
    Thank you for taking the time to post them.

Thank you

NACNUD is offline Justice Campaigner Extraordinaire
    Respect and thank you.....

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Lovely sentiments, much appreciated. All the best!

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    A welcome post.

Cheers

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    **** me that's just class

Thank you, we all know there are plenty of decent utd fans out there, I've got a couple of mu mates and my cousin supports utd also we have some great wind ups.

KeepTheFightForJustice is offline Academy prospect
    Thank you for your kind words.

As you've said, sadly a few on both side let each other down at times.

For the many around at the time will remember that Utd as a club and fans were great support to us in the aftermath of Hillsborough. Which I'm sure won't be forgotten either.

Very touching words. Respect.

The ironic thing is that in both the Hillsborough and Munich disasters, blame was assigned to the wrong people (the pilot, and fans), to find a scapegoat in order to cover for the real people responsible (the police, and the airport)

Thank you.

Fantastic. Thank you.

What a superb post from a genuine football fan and thoroughly decent human being.

Thank you very much for your kindness and honesty and may I say You'll Never Walk Alone.

Thank you Lostverses, very decent of you to come on here and express yourself in such a manner. It's very much appreciated.
    Football rivalry is great and in itself creates atmospheres. It should never degenerate into the contempt we witnessed recently.
    Huge respect to your sentiments and enjoy the Cup Final (but not too much ;-) )

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Was great reading that, thanks for that. Respect.

YNWA
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Credit to you sir, and to the vast majority of those on the redcafe Hillsborough thread who echo the sentiments above. Class.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated and very touching.

We all know there are decent Man Utd fans out there but, sadly, their voices are drowned out by the yobbish minority, same as with other clubs.

I was at a wedding the other week, where the bride, her father and family were all united fans. I had not met any of them before then (she was marrying my cousin's son), but I waded in with the banter straight away - as one does - and it was absolutely fine, we even talked about the old days, where the rivalry was just as fierce, but not so malevolent. The father hankered after those days, as he didn't like the chants, or the aggressiveness, one bit. he's been a supporter for more than 50 years, like me.

There were a few city supporters there too, and I took great pleasure telling this one big bloke that his team were losing at home to west brom (they eventually won, drat!), he too took it in good heart. You can do that when you are a decent human being. Not so those who have venom in their hearts. And it's not just young kids who spout the bile, some older ones too, who have passed on the vicious songs and perpetrated the lies.

I would like to think that the inquests were a watershed for decent supporters, not just the families, to take back control, but we know it's a hard task with such ingrained hatred.

If I ever heard a LFC supporter singing about Munich I would tell him/her to stop and report them immediately to the stewards (same goes for those morons who are letting off flares, despite the potential serious consequences for fellow fans, and for the club), and there must be enough united supporters - and, let's face it, chelsea fans and even everton fans, who let themselves down on occasion in that regard, to stop these people in their tracks.

I remember, as a teenager standing on the Kop, anyone who swore was reminded there were women and young children nearby, and most often than not, an apology would be forthcoming. Now, I'm not saying I'd expect that anymore (or, did I at the time to be honest), especially as I am partial to a bit of cussing myself when I watch my team, but it's an example of how crowd self-regulation works. It could certainly be brought into practice when vile chants/songs are sung.

Most football supporters are decent, and still have a voice. They just need to remind themselves of that, next time they are faced with something they oppose, but perhaps have allowed to continue, in recent times.

Take a leaf out of the Hillsborough families, and wrest back control - and that goes for Liverpool supporters too.

YNWA

Very classy post and much appreciated.

foreverred-1973 is online now 100% Concentrated
    Respect and thanks for your class post, it's very much appreciated!
    Thank God I'm an Atheist!

A fine post, and a wonderful example of how civilized fans of two bitter rivals should conduct themselves. It always pains and embarrasses me when I hear the Munich chants from pond-life sections of our own support. Contra Shankly, there are of course things more important than football... Even as passionate fans caught up in the heat of the moment we mustn't abandon our decency.

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Thanks for that. Much appreciated and very touching.

We all know there are decent Man Utd fans out there but, sadly, their voices are drowned out by the yobbish minority, same as with other clubs.

I was at a wedding the other week, where the bride, her father and family were all united fans. I had not met any of them before then (she was marrying my cousin's son), but I waded in with the banter straight away - as one does - and it was absolutely fine, we even talked about the old days, where the rivalry was just as fierce, but not so malevolent. The father hankered after those days, as he didn't like the chants, or the aggressiveness, one bit. he's been a supporter for more than 50 years, like me.

There were a few city supporters there too, and I took great pleasure telling this one big bloke that his team were losing at home to west brom (they eventually won, drat!), he too took it in good heart. You can do that when you are a decent human being. Not so those who have venom in their hearts. And it's not just young kids who spout the bile, some older ones too, who have passed on the vicious songs and perpetrated the lies.

I would like to think that the inquests were a watershed for decent supporters, not just the families, to take back control, but we know it's a hard task with such ingrained hatred.

If I ever heard a LFC supporter singing about Munich I would tell him/her to stop and report them immediately to the stewards (same goes for those morons who are letting off flares, despite the potential serious consequences for fellow fans, and for the club), and there must be enough united supporters - and, let's face it, chelsea fans and even everton fans, who let themselves down on occasion in that regard, to stop these people in their tracks.

I remember, as a teenager standing on the Kop, anyone who swore was reminded there were women and young children nearby, and most often than not, an apology would be forthcoming. Now, I'm not saying I'd expect that anymore (or, did I at the time to be honest), especially as I am partial to a bit of cussing myself when I watch my team, but it's an example of how crowd self-regulation works. It could certainly be brought into practice when vile chants/songs are sung.

Most football supporters are decent, and still have a voice. They just need to remind themselves of that, next time they are faced with something they oppose, but perhaps have allowed to continue, in recent times.

Take a leaf out of the Hillsborough families, and wrest back control - and that goes for Liverpool supporters too.

YNWA
    Lovely post, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostverses View Post
    It has been a horrendous 27 years for you all. You fought and fought and fought for your voice to be heard, and yesterday, finally, you were proven to be absolutely and unequivocally correct. The memory of Hillsborough will remain with anyone who was alive at that time, but I can't even bring myself to understand what the families and you all went through that day and for the last 27 years.

I know the rivalry between United and Liverpool is special, but at times a minority goes beyond what the vast majority of us believe. Yes, when at Anfield, our fans are very vocal in their offensive chanting. That disgusts me and the vast majority of us. I know my words mean nothing here but it's true, they do not speak for he majority of us.

I feel compelled to come here because I grew up with United in my blood, as you all did with Liverpool, but football is our love first and foremost. I'm sick of the hatred. Rivalry and competition is one thing, but the outright hatred is beyond me. I would love nothing more than to see our two clubs back at the top again challenging each other for the league and in Europe. I'm further sickened by the press today, namely the Times and the well known red top which will remain nameless and their lack of coverage in today's papers. This is a last gasp attempt by the establishment to save face but the game is up, we all know you are right, they are wrong. Don't allow the actions of these editors to consume you, they are not worth your time.

Now that you have justice in your fight I truly hope you all find peace in this and the anger can turn to happier memories and reflection.

Well done for not giving up. Justice has finally been served and as an Englishman, a football fan, a Man Utd fan and a human, I am incredibly proud of your efforts. Wish you all the best for the future.
    YNWA
    Lovely, Thankyou.
    Liverpool fan for 35 years ... YNWA & Justice for the 96.