Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lovren Appreciation Thread. Assertive and Impenetrable.

I said it at the back end of last year's campaign when pretty much everyone thought he was crap and wanted him binned...........he'll turn into one of our best players next year and he hasn't let me down. ......And usually I'm the pessimistic type.

In a couple of years, we might be talking about him more highly than Agger's career at LFC.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsImperialNYC View Post
    I said it at the back end of last year's campaign when pretty much everyone thought he was crap and wanted him binned...........he'll turn into one of our best players next year and he hasn't let me down. ......And usually I'm the pessimistic type.

In a couple of years, we might be talking about him more highly than Agger's career at LFC.
    Yeah but what if Rodgers carried on in charge?

Quote Originally Posted by *Shriekback* View Post
    Yeah but what if Rodgers carried on in charge?
    Yeah, I was only looking at it from a 'We'll sack Rodgers' standpoint.

I remember last year some people saying lovren was the worst cb they had ever seen. Clearly some people just don't watch or play football enough to understand the basics. I repeatedly said last year that lovren is a top CB and will make it either here or elsewhere and I was blasted for it asking exactly what I had seen in him.

Anyone who had seen him for southampton would tell you what he can do. As a CB, he has everything. He is incredibly strong, good in the air, very strong tackle and really aggressive. he's always in to the challenge and pushes closer to a player unlike skrtel who keeps backing off. The trouble last year was every time lovren pressed a player, we had a keeper in goal who never got past his line, skrtel who was so deep he almost hugged the keeper and moreno was playing as a striker almost! So lovren got the blame by people who want to point a finger at an easy target. Lovrens natural game is to go in early and be aggressive.

This year he started well under rodgers and we looked a bit more settled and under klopps pressing game, he looks even better. Superb player.

Lovren is playing really well right now. It's such a shame that Sakho is going to be banned cause with him, Lovren, Matip and Gomez, we had strong quartet of center backs going into next season.

Back to Lovren though, he's been excellent for Klopp and long may it continue!

In most games under Klopp Lovren has been immense!!!. Was it a belief thing? Klopp installed confidence in most now, Love it!
    Liverpool fan for 35 years ... YNWA & Justice for the 96.

Not so much a belief thing, just playing more to the way a CB should play. He is able to play his game now with better cover. If mignolet gets replaced by a keeper who can fly off his line like lloris or de gea do, he will play even better.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKirky View Post
    In most games under Klopp Lovren has been immense!!!. Was it a belief thing? Klopp installed confidence in most now, Love it!
    Aye,always said....if our players play with self-belief,some of the games that went against us will actually end up in our favour.
    Granted there are some genuinely good teams out there but we are better than most of em.

Take for example - We should be ahead of United,City and West Ham in the league.

I think we lacked motivation to some extent and it's great to see that players now are starting to play with some 'real belief'.

He's come on a lot, and I'll admit since Klopp has come in he has improved tenfold...much like a lot of our players actually.

Beginning of the year, even at Christmas, I would have happily got rid of him for half the price we paid, but over the past few months he has stepped up a level and is starting to look much more like the player we expected when we first brought him.

With Lovren, Sakho, Matip (assuming he settles in well) and Gomez I think we have a pretty good choice of CBs when all are fit, we'd need another if we sell Skrtel and Toure is let go.

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Lovren has been so good, he has a case as one of the players of the season, and one of the best defenders in England at the moment.

I still see people ripping into him randomly. I think those people must not watch the games very closely.

Let this be a lesson that a shaky start, or even a shaky season, does not mean someone should be written off.

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    It's interesting that Klopp has continued to play him on the right even when alongside Toure.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedByAgger View Post
    It's interesting that Klopp has continued to play him on the right even when alongside Toure.
    Maybe the Swansea game helped him with that decision. Certainly has been much better right side with Clyne to help out.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    I've been saying for ages he's by far our best defender, fantastico,

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsImperialNYC View Post
    Yeah, I was only looking at it from a 'We'll sack Rodgers' standpoint.
    You were right anyway

I think its clear that Klopp and his coaches offer great training and advice.

Rodgers, Marsh, Pascoe with his stupid shorts and O'Driscoll, what a joke of a setup that was.

Lovren has improved, still has had a few shaky moments. But on the hole has improved. Only times recently he has looked shaky is when partnered with Skertal. I don't think the 2 compliment each other. Lovren seems to like defending and pressing high up the pitch, whilst Skertal likes to back away and give opposing strikers a glimpse of our goal, if not busy trying to wrestle them to the ground (Maybe a kindred spirt he might find in Chris Smalling)

Quote Originally Posted by mdoyle View Post
    Lovren has improved, still has had a few shaky moments. But on the hole has improved. Only times recently he has looked shaky is when partnered with Skertal. I don't think the 2 compliment each other. Lovren seems to like defending and pressing high up the pitch, whilst Skertal likes to back away and give opposing strikers a glimpse of our goal, if not busy trying to wrestle them to the ground (Maybe a kindred spirt he might find in Chris Smalling)
    I won't say his shaky moments are out of the ordinary though. There are times when even top CBs have their hairy moments. If you saw how nervous the Bayern Munich defence were against Atletico Madrid, you would be surprised. So many unforced errors from them. So I would say Lovern is off the hook (not saying that he is on world class level yet).

Agreed, which top defender doesn't. Vidic was a perfect example, deemed world class but Torres tore him a new one. Glad to see his confidence grow, Klopp obviously liked him from his first game (friendly against BVB)

Really impressed with how he is progressing under Klopp.

I don't mind the odd brain farts because even top CBs make them.

Credit where credit is due, He was pretty decent in the last game, I still dont think he is good enough mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Credit where credit is due, He was pretty decent in the last game, I still dont think he is good enough mind you.
    He showed interesting strides last game. He handled Zlatan very well and he dealt with things TAA struggled with. I think he is good enough. Not too many CBs are better.

Impenetrable?

He's definitely improved under Klopp, but I'm still on the fence with him.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    He's definitely improved under Klopp, but I'm still on the fence with him.
    As am I

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ4Gogeta View Post
    He showed interesting strides last game. He handled Zlatan very well and he dealt with things TAA struggled with. I think he is good enough. Not too many CBs are better.
    No disrespect meant to Lovren, but it does not always take much to deal with Zlatan nowadays, he quite often does nothing all game then pops up to score a goal, which is enough ofc.

I just think we can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
    As am I
    I think when you look at the standard of Matip it just makes you think about real quality.

I think when you look at the standard of Matip it just makes you think about real quality.
    Absolutely. I actually think we can improve on Clyne & Milner too; although I caveat this by saying Milner has been a revelation at LB

When you look at the keeper situation I don't think it's much as a problem as some make out. When I remember watching Bruce Grobbelaar in his day, he was prone to making mistakes all the time, he just had a world class defence in front of him to limit those mistakes.

Thread title is a bit much...

He's improved, but I dont know how much a compliment that is considering he was absolute ***** before. So hes gone from awful to... ok, decent, average.

No lovren doesn't deserve more credit because he's doing the minimum of what is required, and unless the goalkeeper makes saves we're still fairly vulnerable. any mistakes team/individual are amplified into a goal normally. lovren has for some/most matches statistically done better than matip but I think that is testament to his improvement continuing from last season.

I still think we should sign Van dijk but I'm not sure about a matip van dijk centre back pairing.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Lovren been very good our keepers are well protected this season.

Yep, when I compare the two, there is no comparison, which makes me wonder..