Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1597

Thread: The "KingKirky" Boxing Thread

aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    As good a fight (and win) as it was, it definitely opened up some questions. He was wobbled in the Whyte fight, and he was put down and really should have been finished in this one. He recovered well in both fights, but it would be a bit of worry that when he gets caught clean, he doesn't seem to take it well.

He did gas, but recovered a bit because I thought Wlad let him. Wlad should have put on the pressure and I don't think AJ would have came back into that fight, but perhaps Wlad was finished too.

This is why I keep saying I think Fury will beat him. Fury will tie him up, make him miss, frustrate and drag him into a messy fight that will eat away at AJ's stamina. It wouldn't be a classic but I think Fury would win comfortably on points.
    He did get a second wind yeah, Wlad also was very very tired - I really warmed to him in the build up although I've never been a fan; his post fight in the ring was gracious and true sportsmanship.

A Fury fight would be interesting, too be fair I've not watched many of his fights, he's been dropped i think ?

I think you could be right although i think pre fight would be more interesting than the fight itself.

He's a big lad though, doesn't get the respect he deserves possibly because of what came out post fight and all the controversial stuff he said turned a few people off.

All the top guys are talking about facing each other and unifications so I think the next 18 months at last could bring real interest back to the heavyweight scene.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Any Lucas Browne fans or Aussies in here?

Looks like he's coming back soon even after failing two drug tests and waiting for a fight to be made. He's actually better than some people make him out to be. 24-0 etc. Insane. Plus he's a regular on the UK scene. Deserves credit.

Lucas Browne - The Interview

For those unaware, Lucas Browne is an undefeated 38-year-old fighter that boasts an impressive 24-0 record in the Heavyweight division. Unfortunately for Browne, two failed drug tests have seemingly taken him down the pecking order when it comes to a World Title shot, but when quizzed on his short and long term future, the outspoken Australian remained upbeat and updated us on his current situation within the sport;

ďIíve been fully licensed and registered to box for over six weeks now, but Iím still banned from fighting for the WBC or WBA Title until JuneÖ Iím waiting on Hatton (Ricky) to sort me a fight out as soon as possible. I need a warm up or two then Iíll be ready to jump back into it all.Ē

In terms of potential opponents upon his return to the ring and whether or not thereís a specific date in mind, Browne replied with the following;

ďVery soon Iím hoping, Iím just waiting on Hatton Promotions, the lawyers and the contractsÖ I want to fight everyone, I want my title back that I rightfully won. Ian Lewison and David Allen would be perfect opponents.Ē

That moved us nicely onto the next question and that was whether or not Browne had a close relationship with Ricky Hatton, his now promoter;

ďIt hasnít been close no, never really has been close. Of course the fact Iím in Australia (and heís in England) is a big factor.Ē

Read the FULL interview with Lucas Browne here - TheBallWinner.net

As good a fight (and win) as it was, it definitely opened up some questions. He was wobbled in the Whyte fight, and he was put down and really should have been finished in this one. He recovered well in both fights, but it would be a bit of worry that when he gets caught clean, he doesn't seem to take it well.

He did gas, but recovered a bit because I thought Wlad let him. Wlad should have put on the pressure and I don't think AJ would have came back into that fight, but perhaps Wlad was finished too.

This is why I keep saying I think Fury will beat him. Fury will tie him up, make him miss, frustrate and drag him into a messy fight that will eat away at AJ's stamina. It wouldn't be a classic but I think Fury would win comfortably on points.
    Yeah, I kind of agree with the Fury stuff...if he was back to his best I think he would win unanimously on points against AJ.

Although I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DC89216 View Post
    Any Lucas Browne fans or Aussies in here?

Looks like he's coming back soon even after failing two drug tests and waiting for a fight to be made. He's actually better than some people make him out to be. 24-0 etc. Insane. Plus he's a regular on the UK scene. Deserves credit.

Lucas Browne - The Interview
    He's failed a drug test twice ! Can't give credit for that really.
    #YNWAcityofmanchester

Quote Originally Posted by KnottybackSte View Post
    Yeah, I kind of agree with the Fury stuff...if he was back to his best I think he would win unanimously on points against AJ.

Although I hope I'm wrong.
    That's one hell of a call

Fury could fight a smart fight if he is the Fury that used to fight a few years ago and not just a pale imitation, but sometimes fans are talking as if the body and mind of a boxer is a commodity easily tuned.

Its hard to disappear from the sport for two years and simply whip yourself into top class shape and fitness and stamina etc, some can do it with Wlad being a typical case in how he got up for the Joshua fight and kept himself in remarkable shape, but Fury had piled on weight and has done very little until recently in terms of training so really needs to just get back in the ring and fight a couple of fights first.

If he gets the fight now I'd certainly fancy Joshua, Fury is a boxer whose natural ability is lacking in some areas (hints of crossing his feet/legs when on the move, loose jabs and forgets to keep his other glove up tight etc) so needs time and training to sort out his natural flaws, otherwise I'd see Joshua putting him down.

I really hope Fury gets a few fights in, at least one minimum to make a battle with Joshua far more interesting and a real close test for either man

Also the argument that Joshua got caught so is open to question I always find odd with any boxer, its boxing, you get punched, a lot, sometimes it shakes to you your bones....in a heavyweight division its another level altogether so I'd be amazed if Joshua or any other heavyweight hadn't been walloped and tested or dropped by this stage of his career. Fact is he responded and brilliantly but no boxer goes through a career without getting hurt & tested, unless they are superhuman

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    That's one hell of a call

Fury could fight a smart fight if he is the Fury that used to fight a few years ago and not just a pale imitation, but sometimes fans are talking as if the body and mind of a boxer is a commodity easily tuned.

Its hard to disappear from the sport for two years and simply whip yourself into top class shape and fitness and stamina etc, some can do it with Wlad being a typical case in how he got up for the Joshua fight and kept himself in remarkable shape, but Fury had piled on weight and has done very little until recently in terms of training so really needs to just get back in the ring and fight a couple of fights first.

If he gets the fight now I'd certainly fancy Joshua, Fury is a boxer whose natural ability is lacking in some areas (hints of crossing his feet/legs when on the move, loose jabs and forgets to keep his other glove up tight etc) so needs time and training to sort out his natural flaws, otherwise I'd see Joshua putting him down.

I really hope Fury gets a few fights in, at least one minimum to make a battle with Joshua far more interesting and a real close test for either man

Also the argument that Joshua got caught so is open to question I always find odd with any boxer, its boxing, you get punched, a lot, sometimes it shakes to you your bones....in a heavyweight division its another level altogether so I'd be amazed if Joshua or any other heavyweight hadn't been walloped and tested or dropped by this stage of his career. Fact is he responded and brilliantly but no boxer goes through a career without getting hurt & tested, unless they are superhuman
    Fury is about 24 stone right now I read somewhere. ?

You're right about the power of the heavies, i'm more concerned about him gassing out which we didn;t really see in the Whyte fight although he took a round off; the fight against Wlad wasn;t exactly at a high pace
    #YNWAcityofmanchester

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Fury is about 24 stone right now I read somewhere. ?

You're right about the power of the heavies, i'm more concerned about him gassing out which we didn;t really see in the Whyte fight although he took a round off; the fight against Wlad wasn;t exactly at a high pace
    Aye he looked in bad shape last I saw, going to have to work like a dog to get that off then get conditioned again and in shape again ready to take big shots. His natural power at a healthy weight certainly won't be enough, needs the whole deal back.

It was odd the pace in the Wlad fight, he unloaded an awful lot of shots in flurries and the pace in moments was frantic beyond belief, especially the way Wlad moved too constantly probing around the ring and manouvering Joshua, but as you suggest he seemed knackered at one point, the tank empty before coming strong again for the last few rounds

Fury is so underrated, even still. He is the best switch hitter I've seen at HW for a long time, he has the ability to switch stances at will and confuse his opponent. He'd make AJ miss, then tie him up, chip away with his own jabs and straights and I think AJ would tire out within 5 or 6 against Fury's style.

I still think it's hilarious how much credit AJ gets for KO'ing Wlad after a war where he was dropped and should have been finished and looked in major trouble, yet Fury gets no credit for completely nullifying him and taking a comfortable points victory to take all the belts. I guess Wlad got better again after the Fury fight
    I just watched the Joshua fight the other day for the first time in full properly.

Whilst there was much to admire I'd be quite concerned about a few areas I felt he struggled with if I was in his camp.

First and foremost, he gassed at 5 rounds, why was that ? Extra muscle people seem to think, I noticed in the Whyte fight the speed and volume of his hooks was impressive whereas there was little of that last week, lots of power but a lack of variety and speed and even in the 10th he started well yet tired quickly.

Fury said he was the next Bruno, I disagree on a lot of levels but there are similarities; watching AJ last week took me right back to watching Bruno, left jab, right and when he got tagged boy it was Bruno all over again in some ways albeit AJ knows how to duck, weave and hold. It worries me, a younger fighter would have taken him out in my opinion.

On the plus side, courage tick, heart tick, chin tick, recover powers tick all the questions to answer tick.

I hope he loses the bulk and fights at the weight he's been at since he turned pro.
    The thing about AJ getting gassed, is that as far as I understand a) he celebrated when he put Klitchko down b) he went for it, both those things made him totally lose his energy and it took him ages to get that back.

AJ will have learnt from that and won't do it again.

What would have been if he wouldn't have done that? There's a big possiblity that he could have launched a few more big shots over the next few rounds which would have wiped Klitchko out. (Plus AJ might well not have been put down himself).

I agree that before the 4th he was totally outboxed and looked lost, but the fact is he put Klitchko down, and due to inexperience nearly lost the fight.

He will also be much more ready next time for how to deal with a dancing opponent.

As an aside, how is Fury's chin? Don't know why but would of thought it might be pretty weak.

Quote Originally Posted by raf_the_laf View Post
    The thing about AJ getting gassed, is that as far as I understand a) he celebrated when he put Klitchko down b) he went for it, both those things made him totally lose his energy and it took him ages to get that back.

AJ will have learnt from that and won't do it again.

What would have been if he wouldn't have done that? There's a big possiblity that he could have launched a few more big shots over the next few rounds which would have wiped Klitchko out. (Plus AJ might well not have been put down himself).

I agree that before the 4th he was totally outboxed and looked lost, but the fact is he put Klitchko down, and due to inexperience nearly lost the fight.

He will also be much more ready next time for how to deal with a dancing opponent.

As an aside, how is Fury's chin? Don't know why but would of thought it might be pretty weak.
    I'm not so sure he went for it full on, if you look at probably the most famous heavyweight round in history the 10th of the Bowe v Holyfield fight, Bowe caught his man early then threw the kitchen sink then he gassed and Holyfield came back brilliantly almost taking Bowe out. Whereas AJ didn't seem to throw that many after the knockdown - you're right though he raised his hands like he'd won.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it.
    #YNWAcityofmanchester

I'm not so sure he went for it full on, if you look at probably the most famous heavyweight round in history the 10th of the Bowe v Holyfield fight, Bowe caught his man early then threw the kitchen sink then he gassed and Holyfield came back brilliantly almost taking Bowe out. Whereas AJ didn't seem to throw that many after the knockdown - you're right though he raised his hands like he'd won.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it.
    But why would he end up by the end of the round hardly able to lift his arms up.

I don't know if this is true but when someone gets a surge of euphoria and adrenelin and think they've won, they can totally lose their energy really quickly when they go for it even with a few punches.
    I'd have to see it back though, as you've mentioned he didn't throw that many.

Quote Originally Posted by raf_the_laf View Post
    But why would he end up by the end of the round hardly able to lift his arms up.

I don't know if this is true but when someone gets a surge of euphoria and adrenelin and think they've won, they can totally lose their energy really quickly when they go for it even with a few punches.
    I'd have to see it back though, as you've mentioned he didn't throw that many.
    Do they ? Never knew that tbh

Sky reporting that fight of the century is inching lcoser... http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...oyd-mayweather
    #YNWAcityofmanchester

Sky reporting that fight of the century is inching lcoser... http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...oyd-mayweather
    Id say it was more of a freakshow. Only 1 way that fight is going.

Quote Originally Posted by godworethenumber9 View Post
    Id say it was more of a freakshow. Only 1 way that fight is going.
    As a boxing fan for 35 years it saddens me greatly and I for one won't be watching, I'll have some curiosity for sure but it's not a boxing match for me

As a boxing fan for 35 years it saddens me greatly and I for one won't be watching, I'll have some curiosity for sure but it's not a boxing match for me
    Plenty of talent in the MW division for Mayweather to come out of retirement for. Imagine the numbers the Golovkin fight would do.

This is just a money spinning exercise and in my view its conning the public.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by godworethenumber9 View Post
    Plenty of talent in the MW division for Mayweather to come out of retirement for. Imagine the numbers the Golovkin fight would do.

This is just a money spinning exercise and in my view its conning the public.
    There are still the casuals who will buy into it and think McGregor has a chance. All the best in the world have tried and most have not even come close to beating Mayweather, but a rank amateur (if even) boxer in McGregor will? Please.

Just a horrible staged con show, no interest in this at all apart from being irked by it

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Just a horrible staged con show, no interest in this at all apart from being irked by it
    Mayweather will toy with him and stop him within 6. McGregor won't put a glove on him.

I hate what both sports are becoming to be honest. Cash rules everything, as they say.

Mayweather will toy with him and stop him within 6. McGregor won't put a glove on him.

I hate what both sports are becoming to be honest. Cash rules everything, as they say.
    Sadly true this fight is just daft, can't take it remotely seriously and any action in the ring you can't help eye with suspicion, is it pre-planned or a level of script at play.

Either way I don't count it as a real fight, like you say its a massive pay day.....for something I see as a hoax event

It's a freak show, might aswell hold it in a tent and have elephants and lions and trapeze stunts as pre fight entertainment

I get the feeling Mayweather v McGregor is more like a "Sports Entertainment" bout, than a true fight?

It's a freak show, might aswell hold it in a tent and have elephants and lions and trapeze stunts as pre fight entertainment
    I'll probably watch it, but would never pay for it.

Would have been better had it been an UFC bout!

Quote Originally Posted by BrummieRed View Post
    I'll probably watch it, but would never pay for it.

Would have been better had it been an UFC bout!
    That'll be next.

I fought you at your game you fight me at mine !

Hows the family mate ?

Anyone watching bt sport fight night? Anthony yarde is a hot prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by LivapewlDivas View Post
    Anyone watching bt sport fight night? Anthony yarde is a hot prospect.
    Yeah, he looks it. Dubois also looks decent too.

Hope Liam Walsh does well tonight and does Mayweather's head in.

So Gevonte Davis then.....the boy can throw an overhand left for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LivapewlDivas View Post
    So Gevonte Davis then.....the boy can throw an overhand left for sure.
    The referee was right to stop that fight then...no doubt.

Optimistic shout of the year was asking for a rematch in Vegas

That'll be next.

I fought you at your game you fight me at mine !

Hows the family mate ?
    Don't see Mayweather entertaining that one!

Family all good ta mate, daughter is 1 on Friday. Absolutely flown by.

Wife due back to work on 23rd June, fair to say she's not massively looking forward to it

How's things with you and family?

Quote Originally Posted by BrummieRed View Post
    Don't see Mayweather entertaining that one!

Family all good ta mate, daughter is 1 on Friday. Absolutely flown by.

Wife due back to work on 23rd June, fair to say she's not massively looking forward to it

How's things with you and family?
    Back to work lol

How old is the little one now then 1?

Yeah we're good mate, all good

Anyone seen the end of the Dirrell fight where he got knocked out and his trainer then sucker punched his opponent full on the jaw. Shocking stuff !