Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: King Kirky's Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Thread - Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Just watched the weigh ins, have to love Mark Hunt

'What was your thought process when you knew you'd be fighting Brock Lesnar?'

'Oh I'm gonna punch his face in'

Predictions:

Tate by UD
    Hunt by KO
    Edgar by UD
    Silva by KO (I know there's very little chance of this happening but I want it to )
    Cain by KO
    Pena by sub
    Gastelum by SD (Hendricks missed weight...)
    Assuncao by UD
    Northcutt by KO
    Sanchez by SD
    Mousasi by sub
    Miller by UD

I'm expecting to be 100% correct.
    I've changed my picks somewhat. Here's what I've got: Nunes (KO btw), Hunt, Edgar, Cormier, Cain, Zingano, Gastelum (Hendricks is a disgrace), TJ, Northcutt, Mousasi and Miller.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Cain looked awesome. Just awesome.

I really hate DC. Jeez, the guy is coming in on two days notice and you just wanna hump him. Grow a pair DC.

**** Dc, but an even bigger **** you to JJ for not being smart.

DC is straight up pathetic. What an absolute useless fighter.

My man Aldo showing and proving.

My god is brock quick.

Brock is an animal.

Meh, boring rd 2.

If only Brock had a better stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    DC is straight up pathetic. What an absolute useless fighter.
    Never did like him. JJ would have destroyed him.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Well, that was a card full of 'meh' for me.

Firstly, when I was picking my bet out last night and saw Nunes was at 2/1, I was all over that. I remembered how painfully average Miesha actually is and thought there was a decent chance Nunes might KO her (good call slice, even though it ended with the tap she was destroyed on the feet). Tate is embarrassing to watch sometimes, you can tell she's came from the old school when there wasn't as much focus on WMMA, her striking is atrocious. I've saw people say she tapped when the choke wasn't even in and 'gave up'...she was badly rocked and had a broken nose and had some sort of crank locked on her, I can understand that tap. I love how everyone talks as if they'd just gut that out That Katy Perry walkout music makes me cringe so much...

Very disappointed with Hunt, did he land a shot? Brock showing his painfully average stand up but Hunt couldn't get near him, but credit to Lesnar for coming in after 5 years and beating a top ten guy like that. He'd still get destroyed by the big boys though. I'd like to see him fight again but I honestly don't think we will, which means the UFC have buried Hunt for nothing, ha.

Cormier lying on a 2 day notice, not long after surgery, massively declining, no training Anderson Silva for 15 minutes. Man, he's boring as ****, isn't he? I get that he said he didn't want to stand with Anderson and did what he had to do to win the fight but come on, it's terrible to watch, just like most of his fights. 2 days notice and no training, for **** sake! This is why DC won't be remembered, or cared about, one bit when he goes. **** you Jones for making me watch that, that would have been an easy win for him, in my opinion.

Aldo looked very good and sharp, he countered everything Edgar had, although yet again Edgar was a little disappointing, for me. Aldo - McGregor **** to start again soon then...

Cain looked great, but my God Browne just looks worse and worse with every fight. No doubt that's Cain getting his title shot next then zzzzz

I agree with Wilberto in that it was a bit of a let down for me. I knew it was gonna be mediocre when Jones dropped out and they had Tate headline the 'biggest' UFC event ever.

Cain vs Browne - Velasquez just went in there and put it on him. Massive gulf in class. I'd actually like to see a Miocic vs Cain fight, it's intriguing.

Aldo vs Edgar - Edgar disappointed me massively to be honest. Moans for 2 years that he can't get a break then he gets a title shot and performs poorly. Credit to Aldo though who looked pretty good. Edgar stylistically just doesn't have an advantage on Aldo. Aldo takes shots but if you have little power you don't stand a chance. I loved the McGregor stare down. Also on the former, I thought that McGregor looked battered and old, maybe it was just me but I thought that he looked a little ragged. Hopefully all that boxing sparring hasn't taken its toll on him.

Cormier vs Silva - Cormier looked to have been gassed out in the second round, disappointing performance from him. I'd like to see Gus win his next fight and get another shot at DC. Credit to Silva for stepping up though given he hasn't trained for 4 months because of his surgery.

Lesnar vs Hunt - There were a lot of rumours that Hunt didn't have a good camp and barely prepared and trained for this fight, it showed. He performed so poorly imo. Credit to Brock though for coming in 5 years later and beating a top 10 HW.

Tate vs Nunes - I saw it go similarly to be honest. Nunes always comes out all guns blazing and I thought that Tate wouldn't be able to take it. Lol at the people bashing Tate for 'giving up.' I can guarantee that no one saying that has been in a face crank before, they *********** suck. Add the broken nose to that...

Bisping vs Henderson.......

Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    I agree with Wilberto in that it was a bit of a let down for me. I knew it was gonna be mediocre when Jones dropped out and they had Tate headline the 'biggest' UFC event ever.

Cain vs Browne - Velasquez just went in there and put it on him. Massive gulf in class. I'd actually like to see a Miocic vs Cain fight, it's intriguing.

Aldo vs Edgar - Edgar disappointed me massively to be honest. Moans for 2 years that he can't get a break then he gets a title shot and performs poorly. Credit to Aldo though who looked pretty good. Edgar stylistically just doesn't have an advantage on Aldo. Aldo takes shots but if you have little power you don't stand a chance. I loved the McGregor stare down. Also on the former, I thought that McGregor looked battered and old, maybe it was just me but I thought that he looked a little ragged. Hopefully all that boxing sparring hasn't taken its toll on him.

Cormier vs Silva - Cormier looked to have been gassed out in the second round, disappointing performance from him. I'd like to see Gus win his next fight and get another shot at DC. Credit to Silva for stepping up though given he hasn't trained for 4 months because of his surgery.

Lesnar vs Hunt - There were a lot of rumours that Hunt didn't have a good camp and barely prepared and trained for this fight, it showed. He performed so poorly imo. Credit to Brock though for coming in 5 years later and beating a top 10 HW.

Tate vs Nunes - I saw it go similarly to be honest. Nunes always comes out all guns blazing and I thought that Tate wouldn't be able to take it. Lol at the people bashing Tate for 'giving up.' I can guarantee that no one saying that has been in a face crank before, they *********** suck. Add the broken nose to that...

Bisping vs Henderson.......
    It definitely showed with Hunt, he must have been expecting to just go in there and KO him but he never even looked like connecting or getting close enough to. Brock has mediocre (at best) stand up and Hunt never once looked like taking advantage of it. Watch Hunt's face when he gets taken down the first time then pushed against the cage when he gets up, I knew right then he was beaten.

Tate gets beaten up every single fight she's in, I honestly have no idea why I chose her to win by UD, I suppose I was expecting her to scrap it out but when I saw the odds on Nunes she looked a great bet. Tate looks so average in every department, she was losing the Holm fight until she got that choke but she got absolutely wrecked last night.

That liver kick Anderson hit Cormier with in the 3rd was interesting, I'd love to have seen how that affected him over a 5 round fight...actually, I probably wouldn't have, another 2 rounds of Cormier? No thanks. I don't think I want to see Gus get another title shot, he doesn't really deserve it. He's lost 3 of his last 4 with his 1 win being Manuwa. His best win to date is probably still Shogun.

I've only just read about Bisping and Henderson. So there's 3 or 4 genuine title contenders in Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare and Romero...and they give it to 3-6 in his last 9 fights Dan Henderson who isn't even in the top 10. It's apparently going to be in Manchester though, so obviously they're trying to give him a winnable fight and sell out in England.

As for the other fights...

I loved Joe Lauzon knocking Sanchez, first time in his career he's been stopped by strikes apparently! Big fan of Lauzon, although he's looked finished recently.

Mousasi looked sharp and got a great finish, I think I'd still rather have seen him fight DC, to be honest.

Northcutt again looked very average, but did well to survive that sub and still win the fight. Doesn't look the golden boy Uncle Dana hoped for, though.

TJ was very impressive, back to that movement and he landed that straight right over and over again. Cruz again next?

How bad does Hendricks look now? In every way, too. His appearance is dramatically different, he has no power now, he gasses easily, doesn't take a punch too well. He just looks awful. Gastelum still made hard work of it though losing that 2nd round but rebounded well in the third to win the fight.

I called Pena winning that fight and after a shaky first round, she controlled the fight. Wasn't great to watch, but I'd fancy her to beat Tate too. Zingano had some nice throws in the first but seemed to just accept being controlled the rest of the fight.

Oh, and DJ is out of his fight next month...if anyone cares.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    It definitely showed with Hunt, he must have been expecting to just go in there and KO him but he never even looked like connecting or getting close enough to. Brock has mediocre (at best) stand up and Hunt never once looked like taking advantage of it. Watch Hunt's face when he gets taken down the first time then pushed against the cage when he gets up, I knew right then he was beaten.

Tate gets beaten up every single fight she's in, I honestly have no idea why I chose her to win by UD, I suppose I was expecting her to scrap it out but when I saw the odds on Nunes she looked a great bet. Tate looks so average in every department, she was losing the Holm fight until she got that choke but she got absolutely wrecked last night.

That liver kick Anderson hit Cormier with in the 3rd was interesting, I'd love to have seen how that affected him over a 5 round fight...actually, I probably wouldn't have, another 2 rounds of Cormier? No thanks. I don't think I want to see Gus get another title shot, he doesn't really deserve it. He's lost 3 of his last 4 with his 1 win being Manuwa. His best win to date is probably still Shogun.

I've only just read about Bisping and Henderson. So there's 3 or 4 genuine title contenders in Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare and Romero...and they give it to 3-6 in his last 9 fights Dan Henderson who isn't even in the top 10. It's apparently going to be in Manchester though, so obviously they're trying to give him a winnable fight and sell out in England.
    Tate is resilient and has tons of heart. She's not a very good martial artist though, she's so limited. Her wrestling is decent but her striking is one dimensional and basic. Zingano finished her, Holm was chewing her up on the feet and Rousey dispatched of her easily twice.

As for DJ, it's a big blow that we won't get to see him fight a UFC newcomer not even ranked in the top 10 of the worst division in the organisation. They aren't getting my money for that event now...

that was so so poor.

The card was cursed in my opinion. Once again thank you JJ for being a complete ass.

I know it could be argued that DC had everything to lose in taking a fight on 2 days notice, but if he really wants to create a legacy, go and make one. Don't lay on an opponent just to nullify them. DC might be the LHW champ, but I just cannot see him being remembered as a great champion.

I'm kind of glad that Tate lost too, she spoke of Rousey being a shadow of her former self etc far too much during this camp and didn't seem to focus on the task in front of her. Her striking is poor and she was found wanting by somebody who potentially could hold that belt for a while. Now the question is, who will she defend against first if it still looks like Rousey won't be back this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsKop View Post
    I know it could be argued that DC had everything to lose in taking a fight on 2 days notice, but if he really wants to create a legacy, go and make one. Don't lay on an opponent just to nullify them. DC might be the LHW champ, but I just cannot see him being remembered as a great champion.

I'm kind of glad that Tate lost too, she spoke of Rousey being a shadow of her former self etc far too much during this camp and didn't seem to focus on the task in front of her. Her striking is poor and she was found wanting by somebody who potentially could hold that belt for a while. Now the question is, who will she defend against first if it still looks like Rousey won't be back this year.
    He won't be remembered as a great champion at all, I think a lot of people can't wait until he loses the title already. He isn't going to win any fans or plaudits stifling and winning a safe decision against a 41 year old MW who came into the fight on 2 days notice without any training. I just have no time for the fella out all either, he talks as if he's already a legend of the sport. He won the title by default because Jones is such a mess, you'd think he'd want to do all he can to put on a show and win the fans over.

I'm glad Tate got to hold the title at least but as I said earlier, you can just tell she's from the old school of WMMA when it was average at best. She doesn't look 'good' in any aspect really but her heart wins her fights. I like Pena, hope she gets the next shot at Nunes.

Anybody feel really MMA'd out now?

With those 3 events all in a row by the time it came to the main card of 200 I was really drained of watching MMA, I feel this is why people are saying it wasn't that good. I think if it was the first card I'd seen in a few weeks I would be more buzzing about the fights.

The sale is now official and I don't doubt that had something to do with having so much stacked cards recently.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post

With those 3 events all in a row by the time it came to the main card of 200 I was really drained of watching MMA, I feel this is why people are saying it wasn't that good. I think if it was the first card I'd seen in a few weeks I would be more buzzing about the fights.

The sale is now official and I don't doubt that had something to do with having so much stacked cards recently.
    I didn't bother watching loads of fights these past 3 days. I used to sit through absolutely everything but I've decided to not sit through the **** anymore. Feeling deflating following the disappointing UFC200 main card though.

On the sale, it'll be interesting to see what happens next and how the sport develops now. The Fertittas sold at the right time, right before all the unionising happens and right before the law suit gets more serious. Interesting that they kept Dana on and I'd be interested to see how his role changes and how long he stays on for.

I didn't bother watching loads of fights these past 3 days. I used to sit through absolutely everything but I've decided to not sit through the **** anymore. Feeling deflating following the disappointing UFC200 main card though.

On the sale, it'll be interesting to see what happens next and how the sport develops now. The Fertittas sold at the right time, right before all the unionising happens and right before the law suit gets more serious. Interesting that they kept Dana on and I'd be interested to see how his role changes and how long he stays on for.
    Not sure why, but Dana has really been bugging me lately. He's been acting like a petulant child.

Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsKop View Post
    Not sure why, but Dana has really been bugging me lately. He's been acting like a petulant child.
    Dana is an ass. That being said, apparently he runs absolutely everything backstage. He chooses the team's he has, he checks everything (fighters music, promos, marketing etc.) and apparently completely runs the day to day operations. The takeover was only going to happen if he stayed on but it's interesting now to see how long he stays and what the nature of his relationship with the new owners is.

I watched The Alvarez - RDA fight, then the JJ - Claudia fight and then the whole 200 card. There's just far too many events with cards filled with TUF rejects and fights I don't want to see. 200 was massive let down.

Thought Nate's interview was the highlight of 200.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post

You'll be glad that there is another event in a few days then! McDonald v Lineker fight night this wed.

Cruz saying he'll fight Aldo for the interim title if McGregor doesn't make it or even McGregor himself if Aldo pulls out Just completely writes TJ off as someone nobody wants to see who he has already beaten at 75%.

The fights were actually not bad the other night considering I barely knew any of the fighters. The Tony Ferguson one in particular was great, I had money on him winning by sub so pleased he pulled it off but I thought he was done in the first round.

Both Conor and Aldo would destroy Dominc in my opinion they are both way bigger and he's not so fast that they wouldn't catch him. Maybe he could move out of the way of a lot of their shots but 1 getting through would rock him, espescially Conors left then it is game over. And offensively I doubt he has any threat to either of them too.