Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1313

Thread: King Kirky's Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Thread - Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    I'm moving to Rotterdam in August so imagine my happiness when the UFC announced an event in Rotterdam on the 2nd of September It'll probably be a rubbish card but one way or another, I'd like to have the experience of a live UFC show, I was always curious to know how the fights would look without commentary, without multiple camera angles, without advertisement or editing, just pure MMA. Gonna be good this
    could be interesting if Mousasi wins his next fight... you'd imagine he'd wanna get on that card. Potential of a decent main event there!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    could be interesting if Mousasi wins his next fight... you'd imagine he'd wanna get on that card. Potential of a decent main event there!
    Good shout. I expect to see Overeem and Struve on that card too which is pretty decent.

Good shout. I expect to see Overeem and Struve on that card too which is pretty decent.
    Already got a nice card going here... enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    Already got a nice card going here... enjoy
    Thanks

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    I'd probably lean Ferguson too. Funny how MMA works out though. Diaz is a bad match up for Conor but Conor is a bad match up for Ferguson who is a bad match up for Diaz Ferguson takes risks and does get hit but Diaz doesn't have the power to capitalise on the openings. Thats why my pick would be Tony.
    What do you make of Florian's claim that Barboza beats all the top 5 and is the worst match up for McGregor because of his speed? That's fine, but McGregor is lightning fast himself, and Barboza does get tagged a lot. Would be an exciting fight while it lasted, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    What do you make of Florian's claim that Barboza beats all the top 5 and is the worst match up for McGregor because of his speed? That's fine, but McGregor is lightning fast himself, and Barboza does get tagged a lot. Would be an exciting fight while it lasted, anyway.
    I would disagree with that assessment. I mean it's made redundant right off the bat if you consider that Ferguson has already beaten Barboza not too long ago if memory serves me right. Not to say that he hasn't improved and doesn't have a chance against him in a rematch but I would disagree with the straight up assessment that he beats all the top 5. I think Ferguson, McGregor and possibly Khabib all beat him. Barboza has always lost against fighters that put relentless pressure on him and so from that point of view I don't at all think that he's a bad match up for McGregor. McGregor is a pressure fighter, he closes the distance very effectively and he's happy to strike in the pocket. He'd beat Barboza imo but you never know. Diaz, Ferguson and Khabib are all worst match ups for Conor.

It probably sounds as if I'm downplaying Barboza's abilities which is not what I'm aiming to do. The guy is absolutely frightening but I think facing the very top fighters in the division, he'll probably get beat. I'd love to see Barboza vs Khabib. Barboza is quick and has all sorts of kicks but Khabib has amazing wrestling. If Barboza is able to neutralise the wrestling by timing his knees according to when Khabib shoots in for a double (like he did in his last fight) then he could very well beat him. Khabib has those trips though and is just a bear so it'd be a much more intriguing fight than Barboza vs McGregor for me.

I would disagree with that assessment. I mean it's made redundant right off the bat if you consider that Ferguson has already beaten Barboza not too long ago if memory serves me right. Not to say that he hasn't improved and doesn't have a chance against him in a rematch but I would disagree with the straight up assessment that he beats all the top 5. I think Ferguson, McGregor and possibly Khabib all beat him. Barboza has always lost against fighters that put relentless pressure on him and so from that point of view I don't at all think that he's a bad match up for McGregor. McGregor is a pressure fighter, he closes the distance very effectively and he's happy to strike in the pocket. He'd beat Barboza imo but you never know. Diaz, Ferguson and Khabib are all worst match ups for Conor.

It probably sounds as if I'm downplaying Barboza's abilities which is not what I'm aiming to do. The guy is absolutely frightening but I think facing the very top fighters in the division, he'll probably get beat. I'd love to see Barboza vs Khabib. Barboza is quick and has all sorts of kicks but Khabib has amazing wrestling. If Barboza is able to neutralise the wrestling by timing his knees according to when Khabib shoots in for a double (like he did in his last fight) then he could very well beat him. Khabib has those trips though and is just a bear so it'd be a much more intriguing fight than Barboza vs McGregor for me.
    Yeah, I did it find it strange considering Ferguson has already beaten him. I like Barboza, he's like a walking highlight reel, but as you say, there is a tactic to nullifying and beating him. I mean, he was comfortably losing his last fight before landing that sick knee, but I don't think he'd have it in him to KO McGregor. I think McGregor would light him up and put him away within 2. Just found it a bit strange how strong Florian was going on about him. I think Khabib would have his way with him. I do think he'd tool Alvarez, though.

Yeah, I did it find it strange considering Ferguson has already beaten him. I like Barboza, he's like a walking highlight reel, but as you say, there is a tactic to nullifying and beating him. I mean, he was comfortably losing his last fight before landing that sick knee, but I don't think he'd have it in him to KO McGregor. I think McGregor would light him up and put him away within 2. Just found it a bit strange how strong Florian was going on about him. I think Khabib would have his way with him. I do think he'd tool Alvarez, though.
    Yeah I agree with all that. I think Florian must have gotten a little carried away following the knee KO so he said more than he should have

Really looking forward to the Nelson V Jouban fight later. Hope the rest of the card is good but that is the main fight I am wanting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post
    Really looking forward to the Nelson V Jouban fight later. Hope the rest of the card is good but that is the main fight I am wanting to see.
    I like Gunni in this one but it's far from a given.

I *********** LOVE GUNNAR NELSON. Honestly, one of my favorite ever MMA fighters. He's so fluid and loose and calm in the standing, he inflicts only the damage he needs to inflict, it's maximum efficiency. Then on the ground he's an absolute joy. He's a mix between a bear and water. He holds you down like a bear but then passes your guard, transitions to mount and your back like water. For me, he's a pure martial artist. The way he thinks and the things he says are absolutely refreshing, all the smack talk from people who have no business running their mouths is exhausting and annoying. It's going to sound sad but one of my favorite things to do in life is to watch this guy fight. He had Jouban badly hurt and instead of inflicting more damage than necessary with punches, he calmly dragged him down to the ground and gave him a chance to tap out without enduring more damage. I'd love to see Nelson vs Magny, Nelson vs Lawler or Nelson vs Condit next, I'd kill to watch these fights

Then you have the stark opposite in the main event where Manuwa absolutely smashes Anderson's face in with one punch Beautiful. It didn't look like a punch that would warrant a reaction from the opponent like that but people often say that its the punches you don't really see coming in hard that do the most damage. Flattened him. Cormier, Johnson and Jones all beat Manuwa comfortably though imo.

Amirkhani was a disappointment for me. Good fight granted, but he looked like he hadn't improved one bit. Had to go to his somewhat sub par wrestling to try and get an advantage and that won't work if he ever faces any of the top fighters in the division.

I feel for Pickett. Heart breaking to see his reaction after the fight. I got quite sad the moment the head kick landed and Brad went down. It is what it is though, credit to his opponent for giving him the respect he deserves and credit to Pickett on a wonderful career.

Big fan of Nelson myself, really impressive win for him. I thought Jouban was going to give him a big test but he made it look relatively simple.

I saw a headline today 'Manuwa shocks Anderson!'...really? Shocks? Who the **** is Corey Anderson for it be a shock Anyway, good win with a big KO for Manuwa, but still a fight and result that doesn't really mean much. Manuwa loses to any of the contenders.

Gunnar was excellent. As said, he's just so calm in everything, his stand up is fluid and slick and he's a master on the ground. Makes it all the more impressive how easily Maia handled him.

Never really a fan of Pickett, but that headkick was sickening. The noise of it! Great strike. Sad way to end, but he's taken some punishment over the years, the right thing to do.

Oh and also it's worth noting that Dan Hardy and John Gooden are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Anik and Rogan/Stann, like it's not even close. The chemistry they have, the knowledge they have and the way they commentate and conduct the post fight interviews are head and shoulders above the other commentating teams. It's a shame that the UFC feel as if they can't use them for American cards because "the american public won't understand their accents." Hardy is much better than Rogan and Gooden is so much better than Anik that it pains me to think that I'll have to sit through more PPV's with Anik at the helm. Jon 'my only role and capability here is to big up the sponsors' Anik.

Oh and also it's worth noting that Dan Hardy and John Gooden are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Anik and Rogan/Stann, like it's not even close. The chemistry they have, the knowledge they have and the way they commentate and conduct the post fight interviews are head and shoulders above the other commentating teams. It's a shame that the UFC feel as if they can't use them for American cards because "the american public won't understand their accents." Hardy is much better than Rogan and Gooden is so much better than Anik that it pains me to think that I'll have to sit through more PPV's with Anik at the helm. Jon 'my only role and capability here is to big up the sponsors' Anik.
    Big time, massive improvement. I love watching their breakdown of fights, too.

Big time, massive improvement. I love watching their breakdown of fights, too.
    Gooden is especially underrated. He has an impressive martial arts background himself so he knows what's happening at all times. Stark contrast to both Anik and Goldberg. A million years commentating on the sport and Goldberg still knew nothing about the techniques "HE HIT HIM WITH A SPINNING HOOK KICK" uhm excuse me sir, the term you're looking for is a roundhouse kick but good try.

I remember when Goldberg once called a front kick to the body a "foot jab"

John Kavanagh is floating out the idea of Thompson vs Nelson. I personally think that that's a step too far for Gunni right now. His hands are often kept low which leaves him susceptible to the head kick. I also don't like his chances of taking Thompson down. Still a fight I'd like to watch though.

I like it, would love to see that fight.

My money would be on Wonderboy but it'd be entertaining.

I really hope the UFC allows the Rockhold - Werdum at HW fight to happen Would be interesting, if nothing else.

I really hope the UFC allows the Rockhold - Werdum at HW fight to happen Would be interesting, if nothing else.
    Werdum doesn't want it though granted I'd love to see it. What do you think about the Bellator MSG card they're building?

Werdum doesn't want it though granted I'd love to see it. What do you think about the Bellator MSG card they're building?
    Yeah, I saw his manager just laugh at it on Twitter, ha.

I think it would have been an awesome card 5 years ago. In saying that, I'll definitely be watching the Sonnen - Silva fight, just because of their history. Couldn't care less about Fedor or Mitrione, but will probably still watch it. Strange that Larkin has walked straight into a title fight, but I guess that was probably one of the incentives for him to make the move over. I like Larkin though, surprised the UFC let him go so easily ($$$).

I suppose after all we say about Bellator and their golden oldies, they do put some interesting fights just because you want to see these older names fight each other. This is nowhere near as bad as previous events, though.

Yeah, I saw his manager just laugh at it on Twitter, ha.

I think it would have been an awesome card 5 years ago. In saying that, I'll definitely be watching the Sonnen - Silva fight, just because of their history. Couldn't care less about Fedor or Mitrione, but will probably still watch it. Strange that Larkin has walked straight into a title fight, but I guess that was probably one of the incentives for him to make the move over. I like Larkin though, surprised the UFC let him go so easily ($$$).

I suppose after all we say about Bellator and their golden oldies, they do put some interesting fights just because you want to see these older names fight each other. This is nowhere near as bad as previous events, though.
    It's looking like a good card in my opinion. Bellator are making some very legit signings, I don't really know what the UFC are thinking of when they let people like Larkin, MacDonald, Mayday etc. go just like that. The Bellator WW and LHW divisions are starting to look really legit.

Did Rampage even train for that fight? Looked like he just ate to put the weight on, he was shattered after the first round. He should just retire now, he's absolutely irrelevant and nobody is interested in his fights now.

'King Mo' has always irritated me too. He talks as if he's an absolute killer, when he's a decision machine. Boring as ****. He looked shattered going into the 3rd round, too. He fights Bader next, that should be fun

Cerrone v Lawler set for 213, then. Maybe lost a bit of interest due to Cerrone getting destroyed by Masvidal, but it's still a very fun fight. So that's this fight and Werdum v Overeem confirmed for this card, a good start.

Cerrone v Lawler set for 213, then. Maybe lost a bit of interest due to Cerrone getting destroyed by Masvidal, but it's still a very fun fight. So that's this fight and Werdum v Overeem confirmed for this card, a good start.
    Apparently Garbrandt vs Dillashaw will be on that card. Looking good.

I'd have preferred to watch Nelson vs Lawler personally. I wonder who they'll give him now, if it's someone outside the top 10 it'll be a joke. I like the Werdum vs Overeem fight a lot though.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    I am debating buying the PPV on Sat. Not sure as yet.

Gastelum ruled out of the fight with Silva due to failing an in-competition drug test in the lead up to his fight vs Belfort. He broke the Marijuana allowance while in-competition.

DC weighs in at 206.2, returns to the scales 2 minutes later and weighs in at 205.