Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1455

Thread: King Kirky's Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Thread - Round 2

  1. #1381  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    47,051
    Ngannou just took AOs soul with that uppercut. This guy is the future of the UFC if they market him right.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #1382  
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Bisping absolutely wrecked by a lovely slip and counter left from Gastelum in the first round. Beautiful shot.

    How Bisping was allowed to fight on this card is beyond me though, second bad beating he's taken in 3 weeks. One more fight in London then he has to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Ngannou just took AOs soul with that uppercut. This guy is the future of the UFC if they market him right.
    N'gannou is a wrecking ball. If he lands first, nobody is taking that power. Reem didn't even move for a bit. Scary.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #1383  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    47,051
    Quote Originally Posted by RaraFinXI View Post
    N'gannou is a wrecking ball. If he lands first, nobody is taking that power. Reem didn't even move for a bit. Scary.
    They should have had detectives in there along with the coroner. That was a crime scene.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #1384  
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    514
    I think every heavyweight right now is already trying to get down to 205 😀
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #1385  
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    514
    Didn't mean to quote Wilberto in my last message. For some reason, everytime i post in here Wilbertos message is quoted and i have to delete.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #1386  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,110
    Oh boy Ngannou just absolutely mauled Overeem, I'm surprised his head didn't disconnect from the rest of his body. He lifted Overeem off the ground with that shot, it was insanity Overeem clearly didn't respect Ngannou's threat, he talked about that very openly in the press prior to the fight and it was clear to see during the fight. I knew the moment he rushed towards Ngannou when the round started that he was going to get KO'd sharpish. He didn't do any of his patent pending running, he had very little movement and didn't even try to be elusive and evade shots. He stood right in front of him and he got destroyed, highlight reel knockout, scary stuff seriously.

    Gaethje vs Alvarez was as fun as predicted. Gaethje chewed up Alvarez' leg with some nasty kicks but ultimately his punching bag tactic is not good enough to get him through the top 5 LW division fighters in the UFC. Not only will he not succeed on the short term with that tactic, he will suffer badly on the long term as a result as well. I'm hoping that him getting kneed to the face will actually be a blessing in disguise, he needs to try and get out of the way of shots, you can't absorb them all. As for Alvarez, I thought he really looked great. He's one of those fighters that are underrated when perhaps they should be taken more seriously. He's won championship belts in every single division he's fought in and he's beat some really good fighters along the way. Last night was the best I've seen him look in the UFC.

    Aldo vs Holloway went just about the way everyone expected. You can't be on the scale crying because of the weight cut and then hope to go on and perform for 5 rounds straight. In the first round it looked like he was pacing himself and saving energy but he gassed out in round 2 anyways. I thought going into the fight that his best tactic is to be explosive for the first two rounds and try hard to finish Holloway but he didn't do that and he gassed either ways. It's time for him to go up or retire. You reach a certain age where your body just can't handle the weight cut anymore. I'd like to see the Edgar vs Holloway fight next because apart from that fight the division is looking quite shallow.

    Pettis vs Cejudo - It's not rocket science how to beat a Pettis. Put him on the ground and cruise to victory. That's exactly what happened here. A lot of people are upset at Cejudo which is laughable. He doesn't have an obligation to go out there and put himself in harm's way by maximising his opponents chances of inflicting damage. He's an olympic gold medalist in wrestling, he'd have been so ridiculous if he went out there and didn't take the fight to the ground. Pettis should be under fire for seemingly not even trying to stop the takedowns, all criticism of Cejudo is misplaced.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #1387  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,579
    Is there anybody to beat Holloway in the Featherweight division, I don't think so.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #1388  
    WilbertoSilva is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    34,385
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    Is there anybody to beat Holloway in the Featherweight division, I don't think so.
    Edgar's wrestling and sharp boxing may be enough, but Holloway looks huge at that weight now. Don't think it will be long before he moves up, too. Would love to see the McGregor rematch at some point but obviously it won't happen.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #1389  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,579
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Edgar's wrestling and sharp boxing may be enough, but Holloway looks huge at that weight now. Don't think it will be long before he moves up, too. Would love to see the McGregor rematch at some point but obviously it won't happen.
    He was asking for it seen it there a few days ago somewhere, even hinted he would move up to lightweight to challenge him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #1390  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    47,051
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    He was asking for it seen it there a few days ago somewhere, even hinted he would move up to lightweight to challenge him.
    Definitely think McG would want him more than Tony. His first choice is obviously Nate though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #1391  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    47,051
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    He was asking for it seen it there a few days ago somewhere, even hinted he would move up to lightweight to challenge him.
    Definitely think McG would want him more than Tony. His first choice is obviously Nate though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #1392  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Definitely think McG would want him more than Tony. His first choice is obviously Nate though.
    I think McGregor would beat him. Diaz has gone inactive since the fight, can't see him getting back in the cage at a decent level to win,
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #1393  
    Acumen is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    47,051
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    I think McGregor would beat him. Diaz has gone inactive since the fight, can't see him getting back in the cage at a decent level to win,
    I never worry about these things with a Diaz.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #1394  
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,138
    Hope Whitaker smashes Rockhold.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #1395  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukadamainman View Post
    Hope Whitaker smashes Rockhold.
    That's a really great fight and I actually favour Rockhold in it. I too am hoping for a Whittaker win though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #1396  
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    That's a really great fight and I actually favour Rockhold in it. I too am hoping for a Whittaker win though.
    I fancy Rockhold to win unfortunately myself, for the real belt now aswell.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #1397  
    WilbertoSilva is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    34,385
    So GSP vacates the belt. All seems a bit pointless now but at least he won't be fighting any of the real top MWs, which probably wouldn't have ended well.

    I actually think Whittaker will beat Rockhold up, althought I don't know why exactly he's got a title shot. One win over David Branch is enough? Hardly like he was a dominant champion before that either. That division has gone from stacked with contenders, to no real stand out ones.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #1398  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,110
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    So GSP vacates the belt. All seems a bit pointless now but at least he won't be fighting any of the real top MWs, which probably wouldn't have ended well.

    I actually think Whittaker will beat Rockhold up, althought I don't know why exactly he's got a title shot. One win over David Branch is enough? Hardly like he was a dominant champion before that either. That division has gone from stacked with contenders, to no real stand out ones.
    The only thing that surprises me is that GSP was allowed to compete for the MW belt in the first place. I'd like to see him up against Woodley next, on paper that's a pretty bad matchup but we'll see.

    As for Rockhold, he got the shot by default unfortunately. All of the other contenders are coming off losses (except for Weidman who's 1-3).
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #1399  
    WilbertoSilva is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    34,385
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    The only thing that surprises me is that GSP was allowed to compete for the MW belt in the first place. I'd like to see him up against Woodley next, on paper that's a pretty bad matchup but we'll see.

    As for Rockhold, he got the shot by default unfortunately. All of the other contenders are coming off losses (except for Weidman who's 1-3).
    Yeah, I think it was always obvious he wouldn't have more than one fight at MW. I think he saw the perfect opportunity to take the belt from a weak champion and then move straight back down. Woodley is a bad match up but it depends what one shows up. If it's the Woodley of recent fights, I think he'll have a great chance but if it's the explosive Woodley who was knocking everyone out, it could end badly. Either way I'm just glad he's not hanging around at MW.

    Yeah, but even then I think somebody like Gastelum would deserve it more. I know he lost against Weidman but he has some decent wins in his last 5 fights. Just don't think Rockhold deserves one after getting KO'd cold and only having one win against a relative nobody since. Again though, it just shows how that division has fallen in such a quick time. Not long ago there were 3 or 4 real top quality genuine contenders, now Rockhold gets the shot because there's nobody else, really.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #1400  
    Hamann Amarth is offline Armchair supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Just don't think Rockhold deserves one after getting KO'd cold and only having one win against a relative nobody since. Again though, it just shows how that division has fallen in such a quick time. Not long ago there were 3 or 4 real top quality genuine contenders, now Rockhold gets the shot because there's nobody else, really.
    Rockhold was in trouble against David Branch. Whittaker will knock him out. Only hope Rockhold has is if he can get on top of Whittaker. His ground and pound is pretty relentless.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #1401  
    WilbertoSilva is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    34,385
    Ortega with another smooth submission. Big fan of this guy, never seems to be in a boring fight and his BJJ looks one of the best in the division. I like Cub but I'm glad Ortega won and a new, young contender emerged.

    That Moraes KO of Sterling was nasty. It was weird as he obviously went for the kick and caught him with the knee, but Sterling was out cold for absolutely ages and there seemed to be genuine worry over him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #1402  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,110
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Ortega with another smooth submission. Big fan of this guy, never seems to be in a boring fight and his BJJ looks one of the best in the division. I like Cub but I'm glad Ortega won and a new, young contender emerged.

    That Moraes KO of Sterling was nasty. It was weird as he obviously went for the kick and caught him with the knee, but Sterling was out cold for absolutely ages and there seemed to be genuine worry over him.
    Ortega has next level BJJ, amazing. I thought Cub did relatively well to defend for the most part but sometimes there's no getting out of those especially when your opponent is making adjustments in mid air. Ortega is so slick though that he had Cub wrapped up before he even had time to get his hands up. Ortega's striking definitely definitely needs to be improved and if he's able to do that, then his BJJ will give him the edge over anyone in the division.

    Sterling is probably one of the most overrated fighters in the division in my opinion. He's now at 2-3 in his last 5 fights, it's not looking good. Like you said, the KO was super gnarly. Sterling has since posted a statement on his twitter so thankfully he seems to be recovering. Marlon Moraes is really good, he's now beaten both Dodson and Sterling with his only loss coming by split decision against Assuncao.

    I don't care about the rest of the card so not much else to say. One comment though, I was pretty happy with the referee taking a point away from Knight. You don't accidentally bite someones fingers
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #1403  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,110
    Lawler vs RDA should be good this weekend. Lawler looked considerably bigger than RDA though, I think he's going to batter him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #1404  
    WilbertoSilva is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    34,385
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    Lawler vs RDA should be good this weekend. Lawler looked considerably bigger than RDA though, I think he's going to batter him.
    Yeah, same here. Hope he does, anyway.

    A lot being made of Menga missing weight for his fight with Tim Elliot, with people calling him unprofessional and whatever. He was a short notice replacement and had to cut 30 pounds in 12 days, which just seems mental to me. Now, I know he probably shouldn't have accepted the fight, but it would have been his UFC debut, so I can see why he did.

    Anyway, don't you think more of the blame should fall on the UFC for this? Why are they encouraging anyone to cut so much weight in such a short period of time? Seems very unhealthy and sometimes they just need to take the choice out of the fighters' hands. Why didn't they find someone closer to fight weight?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #1405  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,110
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Yeah, same here. Hope he does, anyway.

    A lot being made of Menga missing weight for his fight with Tim Elliot, with people calling him unprofessional and whatever. He was a short notice replacement and had to cut 30 pounds in 12 days, which just seems mental to me. Now, I know he probably shouldn't have accepted the fight, but it would have been his UFC debut, so I can see why he did.

    Anyway, don't you think more of the blame should fall on the UFC for this? Why are they encouraging anyone to cut so much weight in such a short period of time? Seems very unhealthy and sometimes they just need to take the choice out of the fighters' hands. Why didn't they find someone closer to fight weight?
    The thing about that is that I don't understand why fighters themselves won't do their due diligence and avoid heavy weight cuts. If you have to cut 30 pounds then you shouldn't be competing at the weight class, period. I agree with you that the UFC needs to do something about this but it's easier said than done. Responsibility should, until the UFC or the athletic commissions can come up with a system, fall on the fighters and especially their teams. Elliot ultimately is the biggest victim, the UFC won't pay him all of his base purse (that's not including what he could have earned by winning), and he recently became a dad and bought a home for his family that he will now struggle to pay off. It's crazy. If the UFC won't elaborate a better weight class system, if the short notice opponent won't take the necessary due diligence, then the least they can do is pay Elliot his show and win bonus.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #1406  
    WilbertoSilva is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    34,385
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    The thing about that is that I don't understand why fighters themselves won't do their due diligence and avoid heavy weight cuts. If you have to cut 30 pounds then you shouldn't be competing at the weight class, period. I agree with you that the UFC needs to do something about this but it's easier said than done. Responsibility should, until the UFC or the athletic commissions can come up with a system, fall on the fighters and especially their teams. Elliot ultimately is the biggest victim, the UFC won't pay him all of his base purse (that's not including what he could have earned by winning), and he recently became a dad and bought a home for his family that he will now struggle to pay off. It's crazy. If the UFC won't elaborate a better weight class system, if the short notice opponent won't take the necessary due diligence, then the least they can do is pay Elliot his show and win bonus.
    Well, in this case Menga was trying to build weight and muscle to try out for the featherweight TUF show coming up, so I guess that's why his weight was so high but yeah, I agree with you in general, fighters should stay close to fight weight.

    I just think it would be easy to avoid now.

    'We need a replacement at 126 in 12 days time, can you make it?'

    'I'm in'

    'Ok, what weight are you at now?'

    '155'

    'Sorry, we'll have to look elsewhere'

    Fighters and their teams need to take more responsibility too of course, but when the UFC come calling for your debut, it would difficult to turn them down and you'd probably want to show you can be counted on to help them out.

    EDIT: But yeah, I fully agree that Elliot should be paid his full purse, including any win bonus. It's not his fault 2 opponents have withdrawn on him. He's put a full camp in, which costs money, he made weight and was ready to go. He did his job, pay him for it.
    Last edited by WilbertoSilva; 16-12-17 at 13:44.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #1407  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,110
    RDA beat Lawler pretty comfortably. I think his calls of a title shot are quite amusing though The issue with the WW division is that there are no real standout contenders, it's a problem. That being said, I'd rather RDA got the title shot instead of that absolute *********** moron Covington. There's acting in a way to gather dislike and then there's acting in a super unacceptable and downright offensive way, Covington is very much doing the latter. Him tweeting spoilers to the star wars movie was just the latest of a series of really unacceptable set of actions. I for sure wouldn't give him a title shot. Instead, I'd fine him for being a homophobic dirtbag That division kind of needs GSP doesn't it? The division also needs some of the best ranked fighters to accept to fight up and comers like Till, which is not happening right now.

    Glover got lit up on the feet, as he always does, but ultimately took down his opponent and finished the fight there. I find his calls for a title shot to be outright laughable as well. Another division that is seemingly in a bad state. The Emmett KO was absolutely nasty, I respect him for apologising to Lamas after the fight for not making weight and giving him the possibility of an immediate rematch as a result.

    Toolhead numero dos Mike perry lost as well. That was pleasing, the guy has got a hell of a mouth on him but he's so unbelievably overrated it's not even funny. I'd like to see Nelson rematch Ponzinibbio now, he was winning that fight comfortably before he was viciously poked in both eyes repeatedly.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #1408  
    WilbertoSilva is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    34,385
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    RDA beat Lawler pretty comfortably. I think his calls of a title shot are quite amusing though The issue with the WW division is that there are no real standout contenders, it's a problem. That being said, I'd rather RDA got the title shot instead of that absolute *********** moron Covington. There's acting in a way to gather dislike and then there's acting in a super unacceptable and downright offensive way, Covington is very much doing the latter. Him tweeting spoilers to the star wars movie was just the latest of a series of really unacceptable set of actions. I for sure wouldn't give him a title shot. Instead, I'd fine him for being a homophobic dirtbag That division kind of needs GSP doesn't it? The division also needs some of the best ranked fighters to accept to fight up and comers like Till, which is not happening right now.

    Glover got lit up on the feet, as he always does, but ultimately took down his opponent and finished the fight there. I find his calls for a title shot to be outright laughable as well. Another division that is seemingly in a bad state. The Emmett KO was absolutely nasty, I respect him for apologising to Lamas after the fight for not making weight and giving him the possibility of an immediate rematch as a result.

    Toolhead numero dos Mike perry lost as well. That was pleasing, the guy has got a hell of a mouth on him but he's so unbelievably overrated it's not even funny. I'd like to see Nelson rematch Ponzinibbio now, he was winning that fight comfortably before he was viciously poked in both eyes repeatedly.
    Yeah, RDA won at ease really, apart from a few little exchanges he pretty much nullified Lawler. Lawler being barely able to stand didn't help, though. I can't really think of anyone else in the division for a title shot, but in a way I'd like to see Covington get it just so he can smashed back down into obscurity and we won't have to listen to him as much anymore. Absolute tool.

    Perry looked awful as soon as he couldn't KO him. Slow, plodding and gassed within a round. Ponzi didn't look brilliant either, and also looked shattered but he's easily the more skilled fighter and almost knocked him out with that spinning ****. The Gunnar rematch would be nice, but him calling for an interim title fight was laughable

    Speaking of laughable title requests....Glover! He got badly beat up Gus previously, wins one fight (when he got tagged a few times) and now thinks he's next in line. It's hilarious, as was the complete non-reaction from the crowd when he asked for it.

    That Emmett KO was nasty. I'm glad, sick of the same old fighters revolving around in divisions, nice to see some new contenders. In saying that, he missed weight, which is pretty unacceptable (although he was another late replacement).
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #1409  
    naturalskill is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    32,818
    superb performance from Dos Anjos...deserves opportunity to become a 2 weight champion!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #1410  
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    34
    Nobody watching UFC 219 tonight? I'm looking forward to Khabib vs Barboza and Condit vs Magny could turn out to be a good fight as well!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •