Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1290

Thread: King Kirky's Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Thread - Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    I really liked that main event. Very happy for Whittaker, he's now taken out 2 fighters who have been at the very top of the MW division for years in Jacare and Romero. My prediction for the fight was that he'd actually stop Romero in either round 3 or 4 but instead he had to battle back from a knee injury and he completed the comeback by winning the last 3 rounds. I'm surprised that Romero didn't show more in round 5. I know he was exhausted but its a title fight and everything hinges on the last round. Seemed to just be there for the sake of it. Whittaker is going to KO Bisping in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if he did so in the first round of their eventual fight.

Nunes respecting her nationality and pulling out of the fight hours before it was scheduled to happen whilst being medically clear. Apparently just 'didn't feel like it' which is super annoying. It's so disrespectful to the fans who bought tickets as well as to her opponent. Talks all that smack and acts like a thug for weeks only to pull out because she wasn't feeling upto it. JJ wanting to step in was amazing. Apparently she has bad blood with Shevchenko. I believe they've competed against each other before in Muay Thai, I could be wrong though.

I thought that the Overeem result was pretty okay. It didn't bother me all that much because to be fair to him he did control Werdum for 2 rounds. There's a clear case to make that the third round should have been a 10-8 but ultimately people are whinging over nothing. It wasn't an outrage that Overeem won at all. It wasn't clean but it wasn't extremely controversial either. I had it as a draw but it's not a robbery that Overeem left with the majority decision.

Not on the card last night but I'll talk about it either ways. Gaethje with a typical performance by his standards The majority of his fights go in exactly the same way seriously. ZERO defence but nonstop pressure and offence. His fights are always so fun because he typically gets rocked but continues to march forward eating shots which ultimately his opponents just don't know how to handle. Him vs Diaz or Ferguson would be a dream.

Excellent promo for UFC 215. I hope Cormier wins though. Jones is probably the best fighter alive but he's insufferable and unreliable. I'd like to see how he responds to being beaten and to be honest I quite like Cormier outside of the octagon, he strikes me as a pleasant guy.
    Forgot to mention Gaethje. That was one of the most entertaining fights I've seen in years, perhaps ever. He's very entertaining and honest aswell. Dont think he'll ever hold the belt due to his style / lack of defence. I think Ferguson would finish him.

Agree with your take on Cormier.

Nunes pulling out once being passed to fight was pathetic. Most fighters compete with an injury / fatigue after a weight cut.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I absolutely can't wait for the McGregor press conference tomorrow Floyd arrives like 2 hours late to his press conferences and McGregor arrives late too so it should be interesting to see what happens tomorrow

I am willing to give Nunes the benefit of the doubt with this. We all know what Dana is like, him coming out and acting all high and mighty saying "she was cleared to fight" means nothing. Fighting against another trained fighter isn't like a regular job where if I doctor signs off that you are physically able to work you can go back and maybe take it easy until you are fully 100%. She has said it was a problem with her sinuses being swollen and having pressure in her nose and head. Which is fair enough.

We've all had blocked noses or minor sinus problems I am sure, can you imagine going into a fight unable to breathe properly, with your eyes constantly watering and all the other symptoms. There is just no way.

I get Dana is ********** that it is yet another fight being cancelled last minute but it was still a decent enough show with a good card. I don't know why he is so willing to try and berate the fighters rather than protect them. Maybe because she beat up Ronda and he holds a grudge, I don't know. But surely any other chief exec in any other company go out of their way to put out the fighters side of things and say there is no way she could have fought and they were forced to reschedule in a few weeks.

As for Bisping, yeah he really blew that. Whittaker was really respectful and then Bisping comes in and makes himself look a fool. Same as the GSP press conference. I actually have a theory that he thought Romero was going to win and got into the octagon with a prepared speech which would have ended with him throwing the belt down at Romero's feet and Bisping announcing he was done. But Whittaker getting the decision threw him off and maybe the fact they were once set to fight but Bisping pulled out with injury he feels like there is unfinished business between them. Because none of what he said to Whittaker really made sense especially throwing the belt down.

Could be way off and Bisping was just drunk and being an idiot again. Still like him as a fighter and will always be a fan but he does himself no favours.

I don't know how anybody can like Bisping honestly, he's been a joke since getting that belt. Honestly though, if "old man" Henderson dropped him twice and arguably could have won that fight, Whittaker is going to absolutely ravage him. I hope Romero gets his chance to face him as well Ripping the Cuban flag and throwing it at Romero while the fight is going on is such a **** thing to do. Anyways, he's going to lose the belt soon enough so its all good.

Mousasi signed for Bellator. Really disappointed with this but bit by bit Bellator are building a high level roster. The debt seems to be crippling the UFC and they can't even match offers for their best talents anymore. I'm extremely surprised they let go of a guy who was becoming a draw and who was on a 5 fight win streak. They need to be careful now, they can't keep letting the Mousasi's and MacDonald's of the world go to their rivals who are starting to catch up. Seriously, Bellator have legit LHW, WW and LW divisions and they're only going to get better.

I don't know how anybody can like Bisping honestly, he's been a joke since getting that belt. Honestly though, if "old man" Henderson dropped him twice and arguably could have won that fight, Whittaker is going to absolutely ravage him. I hope Romero gets his chance to face him as well Ripping the Cuban flag and throwing it at Romero while the fight is going on is such a **** thing to do. Anyways, he's going to lose the belt soon enough so its all good.

Mousasi signed for Bellator. Really disappointed with this but bit by bit Bellator are building a high level roster. The debt seems to be crippling the UFC and they can't even match offers for their best talents anymore. I'm extremely surprised they let go of a guy who was becoming a draw and who was on a 5 fight win streak. They need to be careful now, they can't keep letting the Mousasi's and MacDonald's of the world go to their rivals who are starting to catch up. Seriously, Bellator have legit LHW, WW and LW divisions and they're only going to get better.
    I've already touched on my dislike for Bisping. Like you said, ripping the flag up was pathetic. Nearly as pathetic as his trash talk in the ring afterwards.

In regards to the Hendo fight. I think Hendo won 3 of the 5 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by RaraFinXI View Post
    I've already touched on my dislike for Bisping. Like you said, ripping the flag up was pathetic. Nearly as pathetic as his trash talk in the ring afterwards.

In regards to the Hendo fight. I think Hendo won 3 of the 5 rounds.
    I think I initially scored it for Bisping but I can't remember. Doesn't change the fact that he was dropped twice and pushed to the limit by a guy who had lost 6 out his last 9 fights.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular

I think Bisping lost his fights against Anderson and Henderson, although can't argue with his actual title win. He's lucky to be in the position he's in now, yet he's walking around and talking as if he's the GOAT. His trash talking the other night didn't even make sense, I have no idea what he was even trying to say when he threw the belt on the ground.

Disappointing to see Mousasi leave but I'm not surprised. He's been complaining for ages they are paying him so little, and how it's ridiculous the likes of Sage Northcutt and Mark Hunt get paid such big fees while he's paid relative peanuts. In a way though I'm glad, I'd love to see another org rise up and challenge the UFC, it would at least help the fighters get paid more. The Reebok deal has been a real killer.

Was nice to see Anthony Pettis put in a good performance at the weekend, back at the LW division.

The LW division right now is super stacked, don't think there's another division in the UFC that has the depth of talent from the champion down to the guy that is ranked #15. Looking forward to see how the division unfolds within the next year, plenty of super intriguing fights that can be made.

Gutted Mousasi has gone to Bellator, he was on the The MMA Hour yesterday, and from what he said, it did seem like that UFC did eventually stump up the money, but think they left it too late and Bellator came in and didn't mess about regarding the money. Also, he does have a good relationship with Scott Coker, so that definitely was a factor in making his decision as well.

You know somewhere Bisping would have been very happy seeing Mousasi leave the UFC, one less killer in the MW division for him to worry about, haha.

Hope that both Gunni and Jo get wins this Saturday. I can't understand the matchmaking that went into booking the Nelson fight though, seems a massive risk. Hope he wins and goes on to face someone like Masvidal or Thompson. I would have said Magny but the guy has already refused to fight Nelson on numerous occasions so it is what it is.

Justin Gaethje V Eddie Alverez set to be the next TuF coaches and then fight.

**** the TuF series, no way I will be watching it I have had enough after the redemption one. Not even going to do the usual thing and watch the first few episodes.

Should be a good fight though, shame we will have to wait for the TuF season before they can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post

**** the TuF series, no way I will be watching it I have had enough after the redemption one. Not even going to do the usual thing and watch the first few episodes.

Should be a good fight though, shame we will have to wait for the TuF season before they can do it.
    Same here. I usually watch a couple before giving up but I only lasted one this time and that was enough. I won't waste my time at all with this one, especially as there isn't really any beef between the two. Looking forward to the fight, although it's not who I'd have matched Gaethje with, Eddie will try to wrestle and hold against the fence in this one.

I HATE the TUF series. Stopped watching years ago. It ****es me off when they put two top contenders on it because it does nothing but prolong a much anticipated fight. Sick and tired of TUF. We'd have probably had the Dillashaw vs Cody fight by now had it not been for the pointless TUF season that no one cared even remotely about.

I still like TUF tbh...

I defended TuF for a while thinking it still had some hope it could work if they switched some things up but the past 4-5 years of it have been all complete flops. Even the ones with Conor V Faber and Joana V Claudia where there was some entertainment from the coaches the fights were all rubbish with a couple of exceptions.

Also a pretty interesting thing after the press conference last night. Conor talking with a journalist and said he was open to fighting Khabib in Russia this year.

When Dana was saying it I was skeptical but Conor actually saying it pretty much confirms that it is happening if everything goes to plan.

Conor thinks he is going to come out of the Mayweather fight fresh though and will then be ready for an MMA fight, but I think there is a decent chance he gets knocked out by Floyd and if that is the case I definitely don't want to see him fighting again this year. Boxing knockouts are way worse than MMA knockouts in terms of damage to the brain and he should take a good 6 month break if the worst does happen.

Also a pretty interesting thing after the press conference last night. Conor talking with a journalist and said he was open to fighting Khabib in Russia this year.

When Dana was saying it I was skeptical but Conor actually saying it pretty much confirms that it is happening if everything goes to plan.

Conor thinks he is going to come out of the Mayweather fight fresh though and will then be ready for an MMA fight, but I think there is a decent chance he gets knocked out by Floyd and if that is the case I definitely don't want to see him fighting again this year. Boxing knockouts are way worse than MMA knockouts in terms of damage to the brain and he should take a good 6 month break if the worst does happen.
    I just don't see it happening in Russia.

Why not?

Why not?
    Not enough time to get things in place, to go out there this year and have a event in Russia for the first time. Plus, you got to factor in that Nurmagomedov had weight issues last time out, could you imagine the UFC going out to Russia for the first time, and then he has weight issues again, too risky in my opinion.

Like I said, high risk and close to zero reward. Well anyways that's what you get. Really disappointed that he lost that way as he's probably my favourite fighter in the UFC right now. He needs to leave Iceland and team up with Kavanagh again, he wasn't even in Gunni's corner last night. On the fight itself, I daresay Gunni looked uncharacteristically nervous. He started the fight well, he kept tagging his opponent but then he got too comfortable, let his guard down and disrespected his opponents awareness and power. On Ponzinibbio, super annoying the way he pulled Nelson's shorts as he was trying to get away. Good KO though.

Calderwood is probably the most overrated female fighter alive. Have to sit Calvillo's hype train some more now as Dana White continues to shove her down our throats.

Good to see Nelson get dropped, hopefully that will teach him to fight to his strengths from now on. Poor night the Europeans all round.

Like I said, high risk and close to zero reward. Well anyways that's what you get. Really disappointed that he lost that way as he's probably my favourite fighter in the UFC right now. He needs to leave Iceland and team up with Kavanagh again, he wasn't even in Gunni's corner last night. On the fight itself, I daresay Gunni looked uncharacteristically nervous. He started the fight well, he kept tagging his opponent but then he got too comfortable, let his guard down and disrespected his opponents awareness and power. On Ponzinibbio, super annoying the way he pulled Nelson's shorts as he was trying to get away. Good KO though.

Calderwood is probably the most overrated female fighter alive. Have to sit Calvillo's hype train some more now as Dana White continues to shove her down our throats.
    It was a ridiculous fight to give Gunni, didn't make sense in any way. Disappointed to see him lose, this sets him back a fair bit now. Why was Kavanagh not in his corner? Have they gone their seperate ways?

Dana is pushing Calvillo as the new Rousey. I've never seen why Calderwood was so highly rated to be honest, literally never seen her look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukadamainman View Post
    Good to see Nelson get dropped, hopefully that will teach him to fight to his strengths from now on. Poor night the Europeans all round.
    Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    It was a ridiculous fight to give Gunni, didn't make sense in any way. Disappointed to see him lose, this sets him back a fair bit now. Why was Kavanagh not in his corner? Have they gone their seperate ways?

Dana is pushing Calvillo as the new Rousey. I've never seen why Calderwood was so highly rated to be honest, literally never seen her look good.
    He doesn't at all train out of SBG anymore. They got a new facility in Iceland and he's been there for his last training camp full time. Also I assume that John is in the US with Conor but it's still weird that he had no hand in Gunni's camp. This loss is devastating for him, I don't think he'll ever reach the top 5 now to be honest. He needs to train at SBG under Kavanagh and I'd like to potentially see him dropping to LW.

On Calvillo, she's really quite annoying. White compared her to McGregor once as well if I remember correctly

He doesn't at all train out of SBG anymore. They got a new facility in Iceland and he's been there for his last training camp full time. Also I assume that John is in the US with Conor but it's still weird that he had no hand in Gunni's camp. This loss is devastating for him, I don't think he'll ever reach the top 5 now to be honest. He needs to train at SBG under Kavanagh and I'd like to potentially see him dropping to LW.

On Calvillo, she's really quite annoying. White compared her to McGregor once as well if I remember correctly
    Gunni and McGregor working with each other is formidable, I'd like to see that happen again. LW is a good shout but would he go there while Conor is around? Just on the SBG gyms, my mate went to the one here and said it was an absolute farce. The guy taking the glasses was constantly getting tapped

Yeah, she's a good looking female fighter, she'll pushed to the hilt until she inevitably loses then pushed aside.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Weird.
    Why? I like Ponzi and don't care for Nelson, just think it's good he was taught a lesson for thinking he can stand with KO merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukadamainman View Post
    Why? I like Ponzi and don't care for Nelson, just think it's good he was taught a lesson for thinking he can stand with KO merchants.
    Every fight starts standing, what exactly did you think he was going to do? Also he was tagging the "KO merchant" repeatedly and had he not gotten too comfortable he likely wouldn't have been caught himself. Nelson has excellent standup, did you not see what he did to stand up artists like Jouban and Thatch only recently? He got caught, it happens to everyone. You think he should have just rushed across the octagon and gone for a trip on a guy who has very good takedown defence? You think Nelson wouldn't have snatched up a takedown had one presented itself? Of course he would've.

Every fight starts standing, what exactly did you think he was going to do? Also he was tagging the "KO merchant" repeatedly and had he not gotten too comfortable he likely wouldn't have been caught himself. Nelson has excellent standup, did you not see what he did to stand up artists like Jouban and Thatch only recently? He got caught, it happens to everyone. You think he should have just rushed across the octagon and gone for a trip on a guy who has very good takedown defence? You think Nelson wouldn't have snatched up a takedown had one presented itself? Of course he would've.
    His karate stance and him putting his hands out to defend punches McGregor style is more what I'm criticizing. He showed no regard for the power of his opponent and payed the price. Would have been good to see them go to the ground though as Ponzi is a black belt himself.

Don't use Thatch or Jouban as some kind of achievement though, both bang average fighters. If he stands with the top WW's like Woodley, Robbie, Wonderboy etc he gets smashed.

He's suggesting an eye poke put him off, he should have flagged it to the ref. KO'd with a jab though, Santiago is a legit talent in the WW division imo.
    Last edited by Lukadamainman; 17-7-17 at 15:29.

It's odd Kavanagh wasn't in Gunnar's corner, he wasn't on tour with Conor I assumed because he was coaching Gunni.

Do hope he hasn't left SBG completely, I always enjoyed watching footage of him and Conor together and found it fascinating how they were so much the opposite of each other.

I actually quite enjoy Calvillo she seems great at grappling and showed some good submissions again against a bigger opponent. She no doubt would have got the sub if she had a bit more time at the end of the 2nd round.

She's obviously nowhere near Joannas level yet, and hope they don't try hype her so much and force that too early.

As you guys have said Calderwood is so over rated, don't know how she was ranked 8. Hopefully they don't say “Calvilho beat #8 let's give her someone in the top 5 now!".

Kavanagh was in Nelson's corner at the weekend.

Highlight of the night for me was Bofando, his style is proper unique, and the KO against Ward was unusual to say the least.

Pretty good main event fight last night, slightly gutted as I looked at the betting odds yesterday and told my friend I really fancied Weidman via submission which was 8/1 but opted to just bet on Weidman to win. Wish I'd have gone with my gut instinct. But can't really complain about a winning bet.

Don't think him calling out Bisping was the best move, yeah this was an impressive win but he still lost 3 in a row. 1 win doesn't put him back into title contention. I think him and Rockhold should rematch with the winner of that fighting whoever the champion is and Bisping fighting Whitaker.