Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 57 of 57

Thread: OLYMPICS - Russia accused of systemic doping across the Olympic sports.

  1. #31  
    'Stim is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    42,444
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    I dont think anybody has got anywhere near to her sprint records despite the fact they were set 30 years ago (Marion Jones was as near as anyone and we all know how she did it).
    That and the fact that she also suddenly retired when at her peak makes her records extremely suspect.
    Flo-Jo defo on Dope Yo.
    " The Dude Abides "
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    'Stim is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    42,444
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    I said they'd do exactly that to my other half yesterday.
    Totally predictable that they'd pass the buck to the individual federations.
    If they all have any sense,we'll/they'll ban their Rusky cheating backsides! Even the Russian Athletes that are clean,although dissapointed, will understand why & morally back it....or they should.
    " The Dude Abides "
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,865
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Stim View Post
    If they all have any sense,we'll/they'll ban their Rusky cheating backsides! Even the Russian Athletes that are clean,although dissapointed, will understand why & morally back it....or they should.
    The IAAF have already made that decision, weightlifting were in the process of either banning them wholesale or limit the number of competitors. Not sure about the others.

    It be interesting to see where the first doping controversy comes from. If it is from the Russians then we may see a change in the definition of "paper tiger" (something that appears powerful but is not) from the UN to the IOC.

    Although it would be very suspicious if a tester goes up to someone like Tyson Gay or even Usain Bolt with a good news/bad news message.

    Sorry we have found steroids in your sample but you are pregnant.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,549
    So IOC have bottled it. Leaving it to individual sports to impose their own ban. What use is the IOC then? What is it there for?

    Pathetic.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    16,697
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    The IAAF have already made that decision, weightlifting were in the process of either banning them wholesale or limit the number of competitors. Not sure about the others.

    It be interesting to see where the first doping controversy comes from. If it is from the Russians then we may see a change in the definition of "paper tiger" (something that appears powerful but is not) from the UN to the IOC.

    Although it would be very suspicious if a tester goes up to someone like Tyson Gay or even Usain Bolt with a good news/bad news message.

    Sorry we have found steroids in your sample but you are pregnant.
    Cheech and chong
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    16,697
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    So IOC have bottled it. Leaving it to individual sports to impose their own ban. What use is the IOC then? What is it there for?

    Pathetic.
    What is wada for?
    Why dont they just test every russian and take it from there?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    What is wada for?
    Why dont they just test every russian and take it from there?
    Because they had previously outsourced and to the national anti doping agencies.

    Not knowing that there are some countries who maintain a culture that allows the cheats to escape detection.

    Either like Kenya where they need to tighten up on the procedures and make the spot testing more regular or like the Russians who who actively involved in allowing the drug cheats to evade detection by the wider world and profiting from the athletes by making them an offer they couldn't refuse.

    Now may be Wada were also at fault due to the level of inspections they conducted or not as the case may be
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    16,697
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Because they had previously outsourced and to the national anti doping agencies.

    Not knowing that there are some countries who maintain a culture that allows the cheats to escape detection.

    Either like Kenya where they need to tighten up on the procedures and make the spot testing more regular or like the Russians who who actively involved in allowing the drug cheats to evade detection by the wider world and profiting from the athletes by making them an offer they couldn't refuse.

    Now may be Wada were also at fault due to the level of inspections they conducted or not as the case may be
    Same goes with cycling a few years back.
    They should either test everyone constantly or legalise it.
    End of story.
    And you cant banned someone by i told you so.
    Specially not ioc who are as corrupt as fifa, if not more.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,111
    Pitiful.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,237
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Because they had previously outsourced and to the national anti doping agencies.

    Not knowing that there are some countries who maintain a culture that allows the cheats to escape detection.

    Either like Kenya where they need to tighten up on the procedures and make the spot testing more regular or like the Russians who who actively involved in allowing the drug cheats to evade detection by the wider world and profiting from the athletes by making them an offer they couldn't refuse.

    Now may be Wada were also at fault due to the level of inspections they conducted or not as the case may be
    What makes you sure it's not the case in US as they are sending athletes with doping history at Olympics after Olympics despite getting caught between the cycles.
    The difference is Wada are behind the "eight ball" or not wanting to be on the ball. There is no accident that wada has made decision to keep samples 10 years, it was cases like Armstrong and Jones that resulted in such decision. And they still haven't tested positive on the tests. Is that not systematic covering results? Did rest of American athletes got banned after that? No her boyfriend's shot put record still stands in place btw unless I am mistaken.

    We have labratories like Bialco all over USA (and one of them operated by alleged whistleblower) competing between each other to create most modified substance to help athletes with the end goal of recieving sponsors money. Did we see banning of all athletes connected with that labratory?No we just saw one of them crying at the court and lying in front of the law.
    As I mentioned -take the money out of the games and there will be no cheats.

    The decision is great. The problem is lack of time to implement it and there is uproar as Americans and their cronies didn't got their way banning the whole country and expending political sanctions. Good that sending letters didn't result in decision makers sucumbing under pressure.

    As it stands it is very difficult for the Russian athletes to prove that hey are clean anyway. They will need squiky clean accreditation from labratories abroad. Not all of them are going to have proof of that. Only those that are based or competing overseas on regular basis. For some of them could e easy to prove but for others won't.
    Last edited by Tuta; 25-7-16 at 03:36.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,865
    FINA (Swimming) have announced the following.

    Yulia Efimova, Mikhail Dovgalyuk, Natalia Lovtcova, Anastasia Krapivina, Nikita Lobintsev, Vladimir Morozov and Daria Ustinova will be declared ineligible to compete at Rio. However, they supported the IOCs stance of allowing clean athletes to compete.

    They are also in the process of retesting any Russian Swimmer from last year's World Championships but anyone who had already been sanctioned will not be declared as eligible.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,237
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    FINA (Swimming) have announced the following.

    Yulia Efimova, Mikhail Dovgalyuk, Natalia Lovtcova, Anastasia Krapivina, Nikita Lobintsev, Vladimir Morozov and Daria Ustinova will be declared ineligible to compete at Rio. However, they supported the IOCs stance of allowing clean athletes to compete.

    They are also in the process of retesting any Russian Swimmer from last year's World Championships but anyone who had already been sanctioned will not be declared as eligible.
    Right decision and as I mentioned it will be hard for lots of them to prove that they are clean. On the other side for those that have competed overseas and have clean record would be easy to prove it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,865
    Full list of sports with their decisions and number of potential competitors

    I do get the archery's and tennis's points regarding the possibility of drug cheats could not get caught.


    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36881326
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuta View Post
    US and its cronies can sack on it!!! Good to see that they have kept politics out of it.
    Right decision has been made. You can't ban whole team if not all of them are being doped. It's left up to induvidual sports fegeratins.
    Swimming, gymnastic and one another federation have already declared their disapproval of blanket ban. Why would you ban their volleyball team if some athletes had been cheating?


    To send a clear and concise message in the hope that anyone person or organisation thinks twice before doping.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,468
    It's nice and convenient for them to be only targeting Russian athletes.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,111
    Quote Originally Posted by phuzz View Post
    It's nice and convenient for them to be only targeting Russian athletes.
    Yes I'm sure the actual systematic doping had nothing at all to do with it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,865
    Quote Originally Posted by phuzz View Post
    It's nice and convenient for them to be only targeting Russian athletes.
    There are other nations being targeted by individual federations. E.g. there will be no Bulgarian Weightlifters as they are currently serving a one year ban for exceeding a threshold level of positive tests.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,237
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Yes I'm sure the actual systematic doping had nothing at all to do with it.
    Based on what? Report similar to that was used when Iraq was invaded? Remembe there was assumptions and wistleblower in both cases. Popular thing to brainwash the public whichis not really hard in western world fool of sheep.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,237
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    There are other nations being targeted by individual federations. E.g. there will be no Bulgarian Weightlifters as they are currently serving a one year ban for exceeding a threshold level of positive tests.
    Again they are punishing those that use old fashioned drugs, when are they going to punish nations (athletes) using new modern drugs that never show up in testing and we don't know about them until they end up in jail. IF Armstrong case was not state sponsored what was it? Who was responsible for positive testes being covered, either US or French federation as it was on mass scale. Someone was taking bribes in either if not both federations.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuta View Post
    Again they are punishing those that use old fashioned drugs, when are they going to punish nations (athletes) using new modern drugs that never show up in testing and we don't know about them until they end up in jail. IF Armstrong case was not state sponsored what was it? Who was responsible for positive testes being covered, either US or French federation as it was on mass scale. Someone was taking bribes in either if not both federations.
    I don't think that there is state sponsored doping by the Americans especially to the level of the East Germans.

    What I think has happened in the past is a laissez-faire attitude towards particular incidents and potentially a selective blindness that as they tend to be the top three or four along with in certain events they are more or less guaranteed a medal barring some freak accident like the Australian winning the gold in the short course speed skating.

    So when you hear about the Tyson Gay's or Lance Armstrong's they tend to be in isolation and usually be associated with someone in their entourage.

    I also wonder if the American collegiate system doesn't help as well as the American team will have been trained in a vast array of Universities and Colleges around the States so if a small team decides to go down the doping route there is less chance that they will be spotted. As opposed to the UK team who have centres of excellence and the entire team will be under scrutiny.

    I also think that some nefarious entourage
    /coaching staff will utilise certain pharmaceuticals and/or procedures to gain sporting advantages e.g. A blood booster used to treat patients who are undergoing chemotherapy could potentially be used by the likes of Asafa Powell taking it.

    This will allow the athlete to artificially increases the red cell count and icreased production of the cells.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,865
    Russia has admitted to the doping programme but states it was not state-sponsored. Through the work of Russian bears hackers they also claim that it was not a level playing field.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/38448842

    Although they only released IDs of athletes who had therapeutic use exemptions designed to treat illnesses or injuries only because there are nothing available that is legal to perform at the same level.

    This was also available to Russian athletes as well.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,237
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Russia has admitted to the doping programme but states it was not state-sponsored. Through the work of Russian bears hackers they also claim that it was not a level playing field.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/38448842

    Although they only released IDs of athletes who had therapeutic use exemptions designed to treat illnesses or injuries only because there are nothing available that is legal to perform at the same level.

    This was also available to Russian athletes as well.
    Whichever way you take we as public have been taken for a ride as there are lot of cases that it has happened before the competitions (Wiggins). octor describing you banned sustances doesn't make them legal but the top athletes around the world have used that way to lift their results and performances for long time now.
    The system is croocked and needs changing.
    I would make them legally responsible(facing prosecution) and big fines that will go into World Wide institution responsible for doping control-funding sorted.
    Last edited by Tuta; 28-12-16 at 22:20.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuta View Post
    Whichever way you take we as public have been taken for a ride as there are lot of cases that it has happened before the competitions (Wiggins). octor describing you banned sustances doesn't make them illegal but the top athletes around the world have used that way to lift their results and performances for long time now.
    The system is croocked and needs changing.
    I would make them legally responsible(facing prosecution) and big fines that will go into World Wide institution responsible for doping control-funding sorted.
    Why do you think the Russian athletes didn't use TUEs (like wiggins)?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Luises-Finger View Post
    Why do you think the Russian athletes didn't use TUEs (like wiggins)?
    I am not saying that they haven't. Actually i am sure that some of them have done so.
    I was referring to it as wrong practice -to use your doctor to help your performance. How do you eradicate it? no idea
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,326
    British Cycling has never had it so good

    And yet if you wanna see whats wrong with the world, look at this.....

    Dave Brailsford, a visionary came in with an idea and made it great - got a Sir out of it for his troubles

    And today, he is part of an investigation where his methods are under the microscope
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/38589587
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,047
    Most countries have athletes that use various drugs to increase performance, the only difference is some countries authorities know how to get around the rules and some ( the russians in particular ) do not.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,326
    Russia has been banned from competing at next year's Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang by the International Olympic Committee.

    But Russian athletes who can prove they are clean would be allowed to compete in South Korea under a neutral flag.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/42242007
    Same thing as the World in London earlier this year
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •