Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Georginio Wijnaldum

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Where will he play? Will we change formation to fit him in?
    WilbertoSilva our midfield hasn't had balance for a long time bringing in someone like Wijnaldum along with the already purchased Mane will help considerably.

With the likes of Kent and Ojo just beginning their journey they will be good back up in a squad full of potential.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by ColB2016 View Post
    Having more attack minded players on the pitch doesn't necessarily mean it's easier to beat teams that park the bus. That's so simple minded it's almost amusing.

Far too many Football Manager wizards on this forum I've noticed already.
    You're going to fit right in, Sherlock.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    You're going to fit right in, Sherlock.
    Knew you would spit your dummy out. Mind you, it was very much aimed at yourself to be fair.

Knew you would spit your dummy out. Mind you, it was very much aimed at yourself to be fair.
    You're still sulking over Charlie Daniel aren't you.

You're still sulking over Charlie Daniel aren't you.
    Daniels*

And no, no I'm not. Why would I have a reason to be?

Daniels*

And no, no I'm not. Why would I have a reason to be?
    I don't know, you seemed to get a bit stressed over it when nobody agreed.

What about these young players impressing in preseason? Will they never get a chance because we just keep buying in their positions every year? I think Mane, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Milner, along with the exciting talent coming through would be enough for a season without Europe. I don't see the need for Wijnaldum at all, personally.
    Totally agree ..... he seems to be a 'maybe' luxury we don't need as he is surely more attacking orientated. I am beginning to think that Klopp is maybe about to sell one of our first teamers .... Adam L, Hendo, Milner ... or God forbid, making way for a 433 without Sturridge.

It just leaves me scratching my head tbh.

Rumours are rumours....but talk that NUFC are saying its 27m or nothing is a little worrying. That's a lot of money for a player that on the face of it, isn't desperately needed. I know we probably wouldn't stand a chance of buying him, but for arguments sake, if we were chucking 27m+ at say Javi Martinez I'd totally get that - he'd fill a glaring hole in the team. Wij was a player I said a while back that might be a decent pick up from NUFC if the price was right, but we went and got Mane for 34m.

What I think LFC don't do very well is getting these players the season before they come to the prem. We paid 20m for Lovren and possibly now 20m+ for Wij - 2 very well known players that were available the season before for around 10m and players that loads of people on the boards said - shouldn't we be buying players like that. We're just a bit odd in the transfer market. TBH, makes you wonder what our scouts and recruitment teams actually do all day.

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Rumours are rumours....but talk that NUFC are saying its 27m or nothing is a little worrying. That's a lot of money for a player that on the face of it, isn't desperately needed. I know we probably wouldn't stand a chance of buying him, but for arguments sake, if we were chucking 27m+ at say Javi Martinez I'd totally get that - he'd fill a glaring hole in the team. Wij was a player I said a while back that might be a decent pick up from NUFC if the price was right, but we went and got Mane for 34m.

What I think LFC don't do very well is getting these players the season before they come to the prem. We paid 20m for Lovren and possibly now 20m+ for Wij - 2 very well known players that were available the season before for around 10m and players that loads of people on the boards said - shouldn't we be buying players like that. We're just a bit odd in the transfer market. TBH, makes you wonder what our scouts and recruitment teams actually do all day.
    Agreed, if its true and we are getting him, its got an air of " we missed our targets so best get the next guy that's offered to us " written all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo0573 View Post
    Agreed, if its true and we are getting him, its got an air of " we missed our targets so best get the next guy that's offered to us " written all over it.
    I don't think that's right necessarily. If you have a number of players that you feel fit the profile of what you need but one is available at potentially half the price of the rest you could take the decision that the value is in the cheaper player.

When he becomes unavailable or the price is pushed up to a point that makes his signing impossible or less attractive you move on to the next.

It doesn't necessarily mean the man you actually get is "the next guy that's offered to us".

I don't think that's right necessarily. If you have a number of players that you feel fit the profile of what you need but one is available at potentially half the price of the rest you could take the decision that the value is in the cheaper player.

When he becomes unavailable or the price is pushed up to a point that makes his signing impossible or less attractive you move on to the next.

It doesn't necessarily mean the man you actually get is "the next guy that's offered to us".
    Either way I hope this isn't true and we don't get him. Would rather we just play Brannagan and develop him.

Quote Originally Posted by AsandaLFC View Post
    seriously hate it whenever we are linked with mediocre, fans start to pin point thigs that dont exist in a player e.g "he's good in the air, his got great stamina, he has an amazing skill" FFS just stop already

we don't need this guy we already have million of CAM. klopp will die playing with 4231 formation we all know the one place in mid is taken by CAN who always goes forward. buying this guy wont make sense bcoz he also goes forward like a CAM
    The nerve of some .mediocre in what respect exactly ?

Either way I hope this isn't true and we don't get him. Would rather we just play Brannagan and develop him.
    I like Brannagan a lot, I always said he was one of the best in the academy even when all the furore was over Rossiter. He's a quality footballer and his style reminds me of Paul Scholes, is he ready to play regularly in the premier league for us though - maybe not quite yet.

Wijnaldum is quality and ready, he'd be a welcome addition for me.

Did you not watch any Newcastle games on TV last season? He went missing a lot, and away from St James' he was absolutely useless. Almost a liability. I'm happy to give him a chance as his goal-threat will add to our squad, I just wouldn't spend a silly amount of money on him and also think we have other priorities.
    How many of englands game under steve mclaren did you watch or any team that he managed,the man is useless at motivating players,what i saw of the georgino i quite liked and if he is bought by the club i cant wait to see how he performs,take yr little whinging self and pluck it down somewhere and let the manager get on with his work.

I like Brannagan a lot, I always said he was one of the best in the academy even when all the furore was over Rossiter. He's a quality footballer and his style reminds me of Paul Scholes, is he ready to play regularly in the premier league for us though - maybe not quite yet.

I've always been a fan of Dembele and thought that what he does for Spurs is something that we don't have - that powerful dribbling ability from deep - *maybe* Klopp see's that for Wij? Mind you, he'd need to significantly improve his defensive attributes for that kind of role.

I'm thinking he might be part of a 3 man MF

Might have the quality but also has plenty of the lazy, cant be arsed half the time. I hope it doesn't happen TBH. Not worth the 27 mil Newcastle want. Just play Brannagan instead for me.

Season ticket holders at st Mary's, obviously.

Though to be fair, we did try finding our very own "Michu' with Aspas. Even if we did buy half these players before getting shafted by other clubs they could have all turned into Albertos given the lack of playing time and pressure of the shirt.

When we poached the current recruitment team from city it was seen as a real coup. It seems like it isn't just the players on the pitch who struggle to live up to their reputations once they join this club. The scouting jackets weigh as heavily on those who wear them as the red shirts out on the pitch.

I've always been a fan of Dembele and thought that what he does for Spurs is something that we don't have - that powerful dribbling ability from deep - *maybe* Klopp see's that for Wij? Mind you, he'd need to significantly improve his defensive attributes for that kind of role.

You are right about dembele,i saw a little bit of him in the youngster EJARIA.

Coach791 is offline First team regular
    I absolutely love the panic and pessimism here it's so uplifting. He's not good enough, we will overpay (even though current inflation rates mean no fan can accurately understand market value) he's not the position we need, overrated, over-hyped, inconsistent and all from fans who barely watched the lad play last season.

It is looking more and more likely (if he arrives) that we will end up swapping Balotelli, Ibe and Benteke for Mane and Wijnaldum.

We may well be swapping Bogdan for Karius. Skrtel and Toure for Matip and Klavan and Allen for Grujic. There are certainly some positions still to be addressed maybe a new left back also. I'm surprised that more people are not happy with the current trades.

I'm trying to pick our front four now and it doesn't matter what your preference is tactically if we set up like this..............................

--------------------Sturridge-------------------
    ---------------------Firmino-----------Mane---
    ------Coutinho----------------------------------

I'd be more than happy with the goal threat in that side. Alternatively........................

----------------------Origi-----------------------
    ----Ings-----------Wijnaldum-------------------
    --------------------------------------Lallana-----

I'd be happy with the goal threat in that side. Wijnaldum scored 1 in 3 almost last season in Premier League, Ings scored 2 in 4 starts and Origi had 5 in his last 6 Premier League games and even Lallana added goals and assists second half of the season.

How can anybody be annoyed with those options. Both first XI and second XI have 3 proven Premier League goalscorers who get 10 goals plus a season. Are we really going to complain about this?

I always wonder what happens if your 3 best players are all out injured in your attack. So Coutinho gets injured, Sturridge injured, then Firmino takes a knock. Unlikely I know but lets say all 3 get injured at a crucial time.

You start with Origi, Mane, Wijnaldum and one of Ings, Lallana, Milner. It's more than possible to get results with players at the top who have proved they can score goals in Premier League.

Klopp is building a formidable attack. Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino, Mane, Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Lallana is good enough for me for this season.

Maybe next season he builds a formidable midfield. Season after a formidable defence and there you have it we're on our way to a title. So why criticise? We haven't seen the end plan yet or the bigger picture.

I'm a big fan of Dembele too would have loved to see him at Liverpool.

Not sure how Klopp would see Wijnaldum fitting in. Personally I'd love to see how we did with a midfield triangle of Can deepest, Coutinho and Wijnaldum ahead.

Well well well i actually agree with you on something,maybe its because you didnt go through yr normal routine of trying to over evaluate things in a long winded way.

Might have the quality but also has plenty of the lazy, cant be arsed half the time. I hope it doesn't happen TBH. Not worth the 27 mil Newcastle want. Just play Brannagan instead for me.
    I'm sure Klopp won't bring him in if he thinks he's got a 'lazy, can't be arsed' attitude.

I'm sure Klopp won't bring him in if he thinks he's got a 'lazy, can't be arsed' attitude.
    STEVO lost his first point about not liking the player as the saying goes when you are losing the argument attack the individual.

I hope not mate.

Quote Originally Posted by trinired View Post
    STEVO lost his first point about not liking the player as the saying goes when you are losing the argument attack the individual.
    What???

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    I absolutely love the panic and pessimism here it's so uplifting. He's not good enough, we will overpay (even though current inflation rates mean no fan can accurately understand market value) he's not the position we need, overrated, over-hyped, inconsistent and all from fans who barely watched the lad play last season.

It is looking more and more likely (if he arrives) that we will end up swapping Balotelli, Ibe and Benteke for Mane and Wijnaldum.

We may well be swapping Bogdan for Karius. Skrtel and Toure for Matip and Klavan and Allen for Grujic. There are certainly some positions still to be addressed maybe a new left back also. I'm surprised that more people are not happy with the current trades.

I'm trying to pick our front four now and it doesn't matter what your preference is tactically if we set up like this..............................

--------------------Sturridge-------------------
    ---------------------Firmino-----------Mane---
    ------Coutinho----------------------------------

I'd be more than happy with the goal threat in that side. Alternatively........................

----------------------Origi-----------------------
    ----Ings-----------Wijnaldum-------------------
    --------------------------------------Lallana-----

I'd be happy with the goal threat in that side. Wijnaldum scored 1 in 3 almost last season in Premier League, Ings scored 2 in 4 starts and Origi had 5 in his last 6 Premier League games and even Lallana added goals and assists second half of the season.

How can anybody be annoyed with those options. Both first XI and second XI have 3 proven Premier League goalscorers who get 10 goals plus a season. Are we really going to complain about this?

I always wonder what happens if your 3 best players are all out injured in your attack. So Coutinho gets injured, Sturridge injured, then Firmino takes a knock. Unlikely I know but lets say all 3 get injured at a crucial time.

You start with Origi, Mane, Wijnaldum and one of Ings, Lallana, Milner. It's more than possible to get results with players at the top who have proved they can score goals in Premier League.

Klopp is building a formidable attack. Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino, Mane, Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Lallana is good enough for me for this season.

Maybe next season he builds a formidable midfield. Season after a formidable defence and there you have it we're on our way to a title. So why criticise? We haven't seen the end plan yet or the bigger picture.
    I think many concerns come from what's happening behind the attack but the attacking options will be mouth watering for sure.

For me, this transfer makes way more sense than signing Zielinski.

Ok, we'll probably have to pay a premium for him, which raises the old "why didn't we get him last season before Newcastle, for half the price?". I agree with that, it's similar to the whole Mane and Lovren situation.

Forgetting that though, I think he'd be an excellent addition, and offers great pace, power and goals. He looked really good last season, in what was a very poor side. I think he'd be even better with the likes of Coutinho, Sturridge, Mane, Firmino around him.

I'd still like us to sign William Carvalho too

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood-Rose View Post
    For me, this transfer makes way more sense than signing Zielinski.

Ok, we'll probably have to pay a premium for him, which raises the old "why didn't we get him last season before Newcastle, for half the price?". I agree with that, it's similar to the whole Mane and Lovren situation.

Forgetting that though, I think he'd be an excellent addition, and offers great pace, power and goals. He looked really good last season, in what was a very poor side. I think he'd be even better with the likes of Coutinho, Sturridge, Mane, Firmino around him.

I'd still like us to sign William Carvalho too
    It makes sense if Coutinho or Firmino are leaving, not so much if they aren't.

Did you not watch any Newcastle games on TV last season? He went missing a lot, and away from St James' he was absolutely useless. Almost a liability. I'm happy to give him a chance as his goal-threat will add to our squad, I just wouldn't spend a silly amount of money on him and also think we have other priorities.
    This is my main concern about him, by all accounts he was abysmal away from St James' Park.

0 goals in 19 away games! BUT he definitely has many talents, I'm not against his signing. Even the price is fine for me.

We have to face the facts: not in Europe, not won much for a good while now, increased competition.... This is level of player that is currently realistic for us.

Where will he play? Will we change formation to fit him in?
    even though he won't fit in our current formation, and we have too many players available at the position, I think we have to go for him.
    he brings exactly what we've been lacking in our midfield for years, energy, pace, even his goalscoaring record looks really good to me.
    and yes, we have to offload a couple of players maybe, allen should go, henderson can stay but I don't think he'll be first choice next season

and yes again, we'll definitely should change the formation to 4-3-2-1 or something if we're gonna sign him, there's no way he can play in 2-men midfield.