Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Georginio Wijnaldum

Coach791 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    I think many concerns come from what's happening behind the attack but the attacking options will be mouth watering for sure.
    Klopp will have a plan for behind the attack. It is mouthwatering. That's the point. Forget the other areas for now that's a fearsome attack and one that can take us to a title challenge.

Step by step the other parts of the side will catch up. Klopp is a front foot manager. Wants to attack, press high and possibly the most important part of that is having an attack so strong you make teams go back.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by stevo0573 View Post
    Either way I hope this isn't true and we don't get him. Would rather we just play Brannagan and develop him.
    I'm kind of in the same boat, the only issue is he could do with a few months to bulk up like Origi did.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    I like Brannagan a lot, I always said he was one of the best in the academy even when all the furore was over Rossiter. He's a quality footballer and his style reminds me of Paul Scholes, is he ready to play regularly in the premier league for us though - maybe not quite yet.

Wijnaldum is quality and ready, he'd be a welcome addition for me.
    He never will be if we just keep buying in his position. He's 20 now, I think he is ready to be making the breakthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    Klopp will have a plan for behind the attack. It is mouthwatering. That's the point. Forget the other areas for now that's a fearsome attack and one that can take us to a title challenge.

Step by step the other parts of the side will catch up. Klopp is a front foot manager. Wants to attack, press high and possibly the most important part of that is having an attack so strong you make teams go back.
    Yeah, it's a tactic that served us reasonably well when we finished 2nd. Obviously we had Suarez then but maybe if we can't have that individual threat we can develop a collective one.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    He never will be if we just keep buying in his position. He's 20 now, I think he is ready to be making the breakthrough.
    I don't think he should go from very little exposure to the first team to starting every week and the competition should help him improve. If he's good enough, he'll get through.

I don't think he should go from very little exposure to the first team to starting every week and the competition should help him improve. If he's good enough, he'll get through.
    I don't think he should start every week, but then I don't think we need Wijnaldum to start every week either.

I don't think he should start every week, but then I don't think we need Wijnaldum to start every week either.
    That's a fair point mate, we'll have to see if we bring him in if he is seen as a regular starter.

That's a fair point mate, we'll have to see if we bring him in if he is seen as a regular starter.
    Yeah, if we do bring him in it will be interesting to see what shape the team takes up next season to include him.

Yeah, it's a tactic that served us reasonably well when we finished 2nd. Obviously we had Suarez then but maybe if we can't have that individual threat we can develop a collective one.
    Ah...proper teamwork in attack.

A rare thing for us.

I like Brannagan a lot, I always said he was one of the best in the academy even when all the furore was over Rossiter. He's a quality footballer and his style reminds me of Paul Scholes, is he ready to play regularly in the premier league for us though - maybe not quite yet.

Wijnaldum is quality and ready, he'd be a welcome addition for me.
    This.

Hopefully if we sign Wijnaldum we won't have to waste the talents of Coutinho out wide anymore.

----------------------------Grujic/or newDM---------can-------
    -------------Mane-----------Coutinho----------Wijnaldum

-------------------------------Sturridge------------

I think it depends on the player. Someone like Flanagan was thrown in straight away and thrived in his position, unfortunately injuries set him back massively. Again look at Rashford at United, dropped into the thick of it and was on fire.

Brannagan has had some first team experience, he'll no doubt get more minutes in this International Champions Cup and everything he's said has impressed me.

If we're going to class Emre Can as our defensive midfielder, which seems to be the case, then Brannagan is the ideal style to partner him.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    This.

Hopefully if we sign Wijnaldum we won't have to waste the talents of Coutinho out wide anymore.

I'd be interested to see him in a central position again. But during the 14/15 season when he was interchanging between the wide and central position, I seem to remember thinking he benefited a lot from the space out wide.

This.

So we'll just waste Wijnaldum out there instead? I think Klopp clearly likes Fimino, too.

So we'll just waste Wijnaldum out there instead? I think Klopp clearly likes Fimino, too.
    Wijnaldum will provide the same pace and strength out wide as we would see from Mane, hardly a waste.

As for our squad we have way to many players who are similar and play their best football in the same position which is in the middle of the park.

The balance and the quality in our midfield is all wrong, Wijnaldum addresses the balance properly out wide for me.

One complaint last year was that our attacking midfielders were all too similar. Now people wonder who will replace who and how to fit everyone in.

Maybe we could argue Mane already gave us a different option, so wijnaldum looks like an unnecessary purchase. But Mane could easily get injured etc, leaving us back to square one.

Maybe klopps vision is more about speed and pace, bursting runs and goal scoring midfielders. Lallana for all his flashes of brilliance comes up short in that department.

There could be some sense to be made and perhaps klopp knows best.

Quality player, would be more than happy if he signed for us.

I can't help but think that I'd feel much better about the potential signing of Wijnaldum if we'd have already tied up a left back and a central midfielder...

Can Wijnaldum

Mane Firmino Coutinho

Origi

I think that's how we'll line up.
    Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyzInDahoud View Post
    I can't help but think that I'd feel much better about the potential signing of Wijnaldum if we'd have already tied up a left back and a central midfielder...
    True. I'm happy with our business so far and I'd welcome Wijnaldum.

However the lack of a cm and lb has me concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    I've always been a fan of Dembele and thought that what he does for Spurs is something that we don't have - that powerful dribbling ability from deep - *maybe* Klopp see's that for Wij? Mind you, he'd need to significantly improve his defensive attributes for that kind of role.

I'm thinking he might be part of a 3 man MF
    You say that but I don't think Dembele is much of a defensive worker. Definitely not to an extent that Wijnaldum is incapable of matching.

I think you've actually made a good comparison there. I've said earlier, we miss that drive and thrust in midfield and that's what Dembele does for Spurs and Toure did for City.

I'd be interested to see him in a central position again. But during the 14/15 season when he was interchanging between the wide and central position, I seem to remember thinking he benefited a lot from the space out wide.
    We saw the best of of Coutinho in the 13/14 season in my opinion he was superb as as creative spark in the middle of the park. He was moved out wide because of Rodgers's obsession with players who all did the same sort of thing, we could sell Henderson, Milner, Lucas, Allen and even Lallana and not miss them.

Exactly. A variety of threats for across the front 4. Personally and this is just my opinion but I think Klopp wants to avoid last seasons problem of intensity. We knew pretty much our starting XI when we wanted to press and be aggressive.

However we also knew between games we would end up fielding a weaker side with Ojo, Ibe, Allen, Lucas or Stewart and teams can take heart from that. Other teams like City, Leicester, even Spurs to a degree know their best XI.

Klopp will know he needs to rotate if we're to go with same intensity from game 1 to game 38. I think he sees this season as a genuine opportunity. We may get the left back we want or the central midfielder people crave but right now Klopp maybe thinking he can turn rotation into an advantage.

Teams may not have a clue which side they're playing against. He may want 8 forward options of fairly equal strength and make it difficult for teams to prepare against us. They know we'll play intensively but do they have to set out for Coutinho out wide coming in or Mane driving in behind.

Who are they defending against up front? Origi with his blistering pace and power working the entire pitch, or Sturridge coming deeper and using great movement around the box or is Firmino going to start and press them high?

Origi running in behind and Wijnaldum coming short and getting on the ball is a completely different front 2 compared to Sturridge & Firmino who would play closer together and quite often work like a 2. They pose different problems.

Fans here will say other teams know their best XI and we should. Teams like City, Chelsea, Arsenal may well know their best side. They build their football on getting high quality players and a rhythm that may not be the model for our success.

Rhythm may no be our strength, having better players than the top clubs may not be our strength. Having huge intensity every game with tactical intelligence and variety and unpredictability could be what Klopp sees as our advantage.

It also gives him much greater choice when games are not going to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    I absolutely love the panic and pessimism here it's so uplifting. He's not good enough, we will overpay (even though current inflation rates mean no fan can accurately understand market value) he's not the position we need, overrated, over-hyped, inconsistent and all from fans who barely watched the lad play last season.

It is looking more and more likely (if he arrives) that we will end up swapping Balotelli, Ibe and Benteke for Mane and Wijnaldum.

We may well be swapping Bogdan for Karius. Skrtel and Toure for Matip and Klavan and Allen for Grujic. There are certainly some positions still to be addressed maybe a new left back also. I'm surprised that more people are not happy with the current trades.

I'm trying to pick our front four now and it doesn't matter what your preference is tactically if we set up like this..............................

--------------------Sturridge-------------------
    ---------------------Firmino-----------Mane---
    ------Coutinho----------------------------------

I'd be more than happy with the goal threat in that side. Alternatively........................

----------------------Origi-----------------------
    ----Ings-----------Wijnaldum-------------------
    --------------------------------------Lallana-----

I'd be happy with the goal threat in that side. Wijnaldum scored 1 in 3 almost last season in Premier League, Ings scored 2 in 4 starts and Origi had 5 in his last 6 Premier League games and even Lallana added goals and assists second half of the season.

How can anybody be annoyed with those options. Both first XI and second XI have 3 proven Premier League goalscorers who get 10 goals plus a season. Are we really going to complain about this?

I always wonder what happens if your 3 best players are all out injured in your attack. So Coutinho gets injured, Sturridge injured, then Firmino takes a knock. Unlikely I know but lets say all 3 get injured at a crucial time.

You start with Origi, Mane, Wijnaldum and one of Ings, Lallana, Milner. It's more than possible to get results with players at the top who have proved they can score goals in Premier League.

Klopp is building a formidable attack. Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino, Mane, Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Lallana is good enough for me for this season.

Maybe next season he builds a formidable midfield. Season after a formidable defence and there you have it we're on our way to a title. So why criticise? We haven't seen the end plan yet or the bigger picture.
    100% agree. How refreshing to see some reasoned optimism on these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by xabi1 View Post
    You say that but I don't think Dembele is much of a defensive worker. Definitely not to an extent that Wijnaldum is incapable of matching.

I think you've actually made a good comparison there. I've said earlier, we miss that drive and thrust in midfield and that's what Dembele does for Spurs and Toure did for City.
    Wouldn't we see that drive and thrust from Can and Grujic?

I think he's far more effective on the left. I don't think he's good enough with his back to goal and he thrives on the space he gets out wide. Not to mention one of his biggest threats is coming in side and shooting from the left. I think it's a myth that the centre is his best position. The only way I see him centrally is if he drops deeper. I don't really rate him at no. 10. I have the same opinion of David Silva.

I think he's far more effective on the left. I don't think he's good enough with his back to goal and he thrives on the space he gets out wide. Not to mention one of his biggest threats is coming in side and shooting from the left. I think it's a myth that the centre is his best position. The only way I see him centrally is if he drops deeper. I don't really rate him at no. 10. I have the same opinion of David Silva.
    It's not a myth his best position is in the middle, take a look back at him playing centrally he was superb there, the only thing that was lacking was goals, but he has matured since then and is a lot better in front of goal.

There have been way to many games where Coutinho has just drifted out of the game playing wide.
    Last edited by grudge; 20-7-16 at 12:00.

Wouldn't we see that drive and thrust from Can and Grujic?
    Maybe we would but I'd still like to have more than one option. For too long we've had a real lack of genuine options on the bench and it quite often costs us when we're unable to bring on a player of equal quality.

I would like it if it got to the point where there was a genuine debate over what our best 11 is rather than there being a general consensus.

We saw the best of of Coutinho in the 13/14 season in my opinion he was superb as as creative spark in the middle of the park. He was moved out wide because of Rodgers's obsession with players who all did the same sort of thing, we could sell Henderson, Milner, Lucas, Allen and even Lallana and not miss them.
    Ye to be fair he was always impressive in the deeper central position, just lacked the goals and assists, but he was much younger then.

We've just got a similar issue to City in a way, we've got two really good central attacking midfielders in Coutinho and Firmino (Silva and De Bruyne for City). Just got to find a way of accommodating them both.

Ye that's the issue, if a team wants to swamp him, they'll find it much easier to do if he's operating in the 10 role. Firmino is just that tiny but more physical so he suits the 10 role more so.

For many years Iniesta thrived in a similar way. He's one of the greatest players in the world drifting from left to central midfield. You wouldn't earmark him as a number 10 because he likes to receive the ball side on and come in onto his right.

For me Silva is the opposite in that when he's played for City (even though he's had some decent games as a number 10) for me he's been devastating coming in from the right.

If Wijnaldum arrives though the options will be massive. you can pick any number or formations and systems they could all work well and they can all fit in with a Klopp style.