Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2215

Thread: Georginio Wijnaldum

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    don't want to talk up all our players but:

improving at the right time for us (consistency) that dinked ball to find mane shows he is an intelligent footballer
    He's a good player. He's excellent at shielding the ball, and bullying people off the ball.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Excellent signing!! He is evolving into a great all round midfielder.

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Wow, I hated him early in the season. Called him a waste of money, should have kept Joe Allen etc (still should have as cover) but over the last few months he's been one of our best players consistently, especially in the big games. Was arguably MotM again yesterday.
    "Let the ball all the work do." - Jurgen Klopp. 22/07/2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    Wow, I hated him early in the season. Called him a waste of money, should have kept Joe Allen etc (still should have as cover) but over the last few months he's been one of our best players consistently, especially in the big games. Was arguably MotM again yesterday.
    Fair play for saying so mate.

I can see the logic why people don't rate Wijnaldum

He play as a winger when he made it breakthrough then attacking midfielder in Dutch league

When he was at Newcastle he played as attacking midfielder and lot of fans did not rate him

Liverpool fans questioning he can't play in central midfield, never played there before and so on

Like me few a of fans on here knew that he had played central midfield before not new role for him

When he started playing for Liverpool as central midfield everyone question that is attacking midfielder and that's why should be playing all the time

Been say all season he's doing all the nitty gritty stuff which fans don't really appreciate that much unless it's a bit of skill and quality

Now he's starting to gel with the team his confidence is growing and he's influence on the team is also starting to show confidence and scoring more goals

Klopp is working his magic on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    I wasn't impressed when we signed him, he's done a decent enough job but maybe my doubts over fees etc are just grounded in not believing you have to pay 20m or 30m to get a good player is all.....

Like the debate/discussion I saw elsewhere about Mane and referenced Suarez and was whether he'd improved here. We bought Suarez from Ajax for 23m and maybe they could have demanded more, maybe they just realised Suarez was unlikely to 'take it lying down' and would engineer a move anyway, it's not as if he hadn't been naughty (you know how) before and so maybe to them 23m was a reasonable price they might fight tooth and nail for a bit extra for but may end not.

Mane I still argue was at best about worth what we paid, but to tie in with Wijnaldum I'm less prone to believe the silly money bandied about for players sets a worthwhile benchmark. In both regards, Wijnaldum and Mane, I am happy enough (now) we signed both, would rather we developed a habit of buying players like them from source at a much cheaper price, but the 60m or whatever they cost combined is maybe only 20m more than I'd value them (at the point we bought) Mane has done very well, is a crucial component, but for me some way off being as big an influence as Suarez was.

I'll now duck for cover and never return with so many on here not liking it when someone 'dissents'
    People will believe what they want to believe

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    I wasn't impressed when we signed him, he's done a decent enough job but maybe my doubts over fees etc are just grounded in not believing you have to pay 20m or 30m to get a good player is all.....

Like the debate/discussion I saw elsewhere about Mane and referenced Suarez and was whether he'd improved here. We bought Suarez from Ajax for 23m and maybe they could have demanded more, maybe they just realised Suarez was unlikely to 'take it lying down' and would engineer a move anyway, it's not as if he hadn't been naughty (you know how) before and so maybe to them 23m was a reasonable price they might fight tooth and nail for a bit extra for but may end not.

Mane I still argue was at best about worth what we paid, but to tie in with Wijnaldum I'm less prone to believe the silly money bandied about for players sets a worthwhile benchmark. In both regards, Wijnaldum and Mane, I am happy enough (now) we signed both, would rather we developed a habit of buying players like them from source at a much cheaper price, but the 60m or whatever they cost combined is maybe only 20m more than I'd value them (at the point we bought) Mane has done very well, is a crucial component, but for me some way off being as big an influence as Suarez was.

I'll now duck for cover and never return with so many on here not liking it when someone 'dissents'
    Wasn't so long ago we paid 20m for Downing *shudders* and 35m for Carroll. At least Wij and Mane have had a positive impact and if we were to sell them I don't reckon anyone here would accept anything less than what we paid (and Mane's value has risen considerably I'd say). I don't think Suarez is a good measure to use for price/influence tbh, he was a one off and we got him for a ridiculous fee. Much like you can't really say every player we buy for 8m+ should be better than Coutinho.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstandya View Post
    If FSG had given Rodgers another season and then given him 60m this summer to improve us and he came back with Wijnaldum and Mane and not much change, it would be fascinating to see how the forum would have responded.
    What happened to this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Wasn't so long ago we paid 20m for Downing *shudders* and 35m for Carroll. At least Wij and Mane have had a positive impact and if we were to sell them I don't reckon anyone here would accept anything less than what we paid (and Mane's value has risen considerably I'd say). I don't think Suarez is a good measure to use for price/influence tbh, he was a one off and we got him for a ridiculous fee. Much like you can't really say every player we buy for 8m+ should be better than Coutinho.
    Mane and Winjaldum at their previous clubs were similar in that both could be erratic. We've seen Winjaldum at Newcastle turn it on and off like a tap. He went from at times from the sublime to the anonymous. Sadio Mane went from scoring hat-tricks against Man City and Aston Villa to not scoring for 4 months. Unfortunately for us the day he decided to turn it on was against us, and he tore us to pieces.

I feel both have improved their consistency to a new level and that will have an impact moreso next season. Mane will be unplayable even more often next season. He has shown on a number of occasions that he's an absolute nightmare for defenders. Winjaldum despite a slow start when he was good, but not brilliant has improved the longer the season went on.

It's these sort of things as fans we do want to see from players that commanded high fees and that's overall improvement and the want to improve. We have that in Firmino, Lallana, Winjaldum and Mane and I'm convinced that Klopp has had something to do with their overall improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Coutinhosmagicfeet View Post
    Mane and Winjaldum at their previous clubs were similar in that both could be erratic. We've seen Winjaldum at Newcastle turn it on and off like a tap. He went from at times from the sublime to the anonymous. Sadio Mane went from scoring hat-tricks against Man City and Aston Villa to not scoring for 4 months. Unfortunately for us the day he decided to turn it on was against us, and he tore us to pieces.

I feel both have improved their consistency to a new level and that will have an impact moreso next season. Mane will be unplayable even more often next season. He has shown on a number of occasions that he's an absolute nightmare for defenders. Winjaldum despite a slow start when he was good, but not brilliant has improved the longer the season went on.

It's these sort of things as fans we do want to see from players that commanded high fees and that's overall improvement and the want to improve. We have that in Firmino, Lallana, Winjaldum and Mane and I'm convinced that Klopp has had something to do with their overall improvement.
    Did we? I wonder how many Newcastle and Southampton games were watch by LFC fans. I don't think any player shines all the time. In better sides there are more players that make a difference so if one has a game not as effective it's not as easy to spot.

You could also say playing with better players could help. I'm not sure it's 'wild' up and down form from Gini and Mane. I bet playing for Newcastle being relegated there were games he just didn't see enough of the ball.

He's begun to add goals to his game, which is good! But he needs to be more consistent in terms of his performances home and away. Overall I think he's been a good signing (applied himself at a bigger club much better than Sissoko has at Spurs), hope he continues to develop into a really decent player next season.

A lot of pressure on wijnaldum now lallana is injured.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    we were never going to have a fully fit first 11 all the way to the end

for what reason?

I think Coutinho should be the one to give us the extra creativity we are going to need not Wijnaldum.

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    for what reason?
    we haven't got anyone else like lallana, other than the inexperienced ejaria

I'm not sure how his role changes game to game but he's been a passenger today, he can be superb one game then unnoticeable another, maybe to do with how he's been asked to play?

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVER-01 View Post
    I'm not sure how his role changes game to game but he's been a passenger today, he can be superb one game then unnoticeable another, maybe to do with how he's been asked to play?
    dunno he came stronger in the second half

Nah. He didn't do anything breathtaking, but I wouldn't describe one of our midfielders as a passenger in a game that we comfortably won.

I thought he showed desire throughout wanting to keep up the tempo of the match

I'm not saying Gini was outstanding yesterday but I've maintained in terms of position he's by far the best player we have or have had for a long time. Firmino and even Milner show positional intelligence but Wijnaldum is on another level.

You saw it in the first game against Arsenal and in big games he's an absolute genius are creating space for others with his movement. As fans it is absolutely understandable we focus everything on what happens with the ball but watch Coutinho's goal again yesterday.

Wijnaldum's subtle movement is plain beautiful. I'll attach a clip below please pause at 2:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYE1yFFwB-c

Can is on the ball. There's a clear pass to Wijnaldum on who has moved beautifully into the space and look where Wijnaldum is pointing. He's point back to Lucas. Now most players would be screaming for the ball in that area.

Wijnaldum doesn't he directs the play back to Lucas because he's already 3 steps ahead in his mind. He's going to move forward and join Firmino to create a two man strike force up against Everton's three centre backs. The beauty of having 3 centre backs is you always have one spare.

Please pause again at 2:39

Milner moves to add width and Wijnaldum moves to centre right to double with Firmino and then seeing Coutinho isolating Gueye he realises Pennington could easily step up and cut off the space Coutinho wants to go into. Now most players would still peel off to try and drag Pennington the other way but he absolutely knows that wont work in this situation.

So he moves towards the space where Coutinho is attacking you're taught to vacate. He does it so subtly just to bring himself into the sight line of Pennington who reacts and stops to now he can't join Gueye.

Now Coutinho has a one on one with Pennington, he has a one two option with Wijnaldum or he can knock it back. Now wonder Pennington didn't have a clue what to do.

This is some of the most intelligent movement you will ever see in a football match. Without touching the ball he's literally toying with every Everton defender moving them exactly where they don't want to be, creating space where they don't want it and stopping them finding solutions with his positioning.

I'm not saying he was great yesterday but without touching the ball at all for that goal his movement and intelligence was something of beauty. In fact is was pure full on genius. Very few players have a complete picture of the play and how they influence everybody else.

From moving into the space to identify himself as a threat, directing the play back to Lucas so he can stretch the distance moving forward and Coutinho can find the space, creating the threat behind Pennington by joining in a two man strike position to then finally moving towards the space Coutinho attacks to stop Pennington being able to step and cover Gueye so they both challenge together by standing in his line of vision, then being an option for Coutinho as he takes the one on one.

Absolute mastery of positional play. In a derby to have such calmness, clarity and see the bigger picture as players dive in, demand, the ball, burst everywhere it was beautiful
    Last edited by Coach791; 2-4-17 at 10:36.

liverpool19734 is online now Academy prospect
    I am surprised with the criticism of our midfield yesterday they moved the ball efficiently, created chances, protected the defence and bullied the bitters midfield. It was men against boys.

are you taking the ****?

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    His work rate is tremendous I didn't see any negatives in his performance yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    His work rate is tremendous I didn't see any negatives in his performance yesterday
    when you comfortably win a merseyside derby you can guarantee there wasn't any passengers

So underrated. Fantastic at keeping possession, great movement off the ball, his runs to help Milner in tight situations are superb. Nice one again Gini.

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    when you comfortably win a merseyside derby you can guarantee there wasn't any passengers
    Nervous until Origi struck then it was fun
    Wednesday will be really tough

So underrated. Fantastic at keeping possession, great movement off the ball, his runs to help Milner in tight situations are superb. Nice one again Gini.
    He's a sneaky one. You think he's not there, sometimes.... then suddenly he's the ghost in the machine, and makes something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Nervous until Origi struck then it was fun
    Wednesday will be really tough
    Im always nervous cause i fear the worst but we were actually pretty comfortable. Especially the last 10/15 mins we just started toying with them.
    I'm calm about Bournemouth, they aren't a team to sit back and defend for their lives. If they come at us we'll tear them to pieces.