Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364
Results 1,891 to 1,906 of 1906

Thread: Georginio Wijnaldum

  1. #1891  
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    don't want to talk up all our players but:

    improving at the right time for us (consistency) that dinked ball to find mane shows he is an intelligent footballer
    He's a good player. He's excellent at shielding the ball, and bullying people off the ball.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #1892  
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    518
    Excellent signing!! He is evolving into a great all round midfielder.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #1893  
    Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14,947
    Wow, I hated him early in the season. Called him a waste of money, should have kept Joe Allen etc (still should have as cover) but over the last few months he's been one of our best players consistently, especially in the big games. Was arguably MotM again yesterday.
    "Nobody can beat us!" - Jurgen Klopp. 31/01/2017.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #1894  
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    23,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    Wow, I hated him early in the season. Called him a waste of money, should have kept Joe Allen etc (still should have as cover) but over the last few months he's been one of our best players consistently, especially in the big games. Was arguably MotM again yesterday.
    Fair play for saying so mate.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #1895  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    20,016
    I can see the logic why people don't rate Wijnaldum

    He play as a winger when he made it breakthrough then attacking midfielder in Dutch league

    When he was at Newcastle he played as attacking midfielder and lot of fans did not rate him

    Liverpool fans questioning he can't play in central midfield, never played there before and so on

    Like me few a of fans on here knew that he had played central midfield before not new role for him

    When he started playing for Liverpool as central midfield everyone question that is attacking midfielder and that's why should be playing all the time

    Been say all season he's doing all the nitty gritty stuff which fans don't really appreciate that much unless it's a bit of skill and quality

    Now he's starting to gel with the team his confidence is growing and he's influence on the team is also starting to show confidence and scoring more goals
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #1896  
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    766
    Klopp is working his magic on him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #1897  
    TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    Wow, I hated him early in the season. Called him a waste of money, should have kept Joe Allen etc (still should have as cover) but over the last few months he's been one of our best players consistently, especially in the big games. Was arguably MotM again yesterday.
    I wasn't impressed when we signed him, he's done a decent enough job but maybe my doubts over fees etc are just grounded in not believing you have to pay 20m or 30m to get a good player is all.....

    Like the debate/discussion I saw elsewhere about Mane and referenced Suarez and was whether he'd improved here. We bought Suarez from Ajax for 23m and maybe they could have demanded more, maybe they just realised Suarez was unlikely to 'take it lying down' and would engineer a move anyway, it's not as if he hadn't been naughty (you know how) before and so maybe to them 23m was a reasonable price they might fight tooth and nail for a bit extra for but may end not.

    Mane I still argue was at best about worth what we paid, but to tie in with Wijnaldum I'm less prone to believe the silly money bandied about for players sets a worthwhile benchmark. In both regards, Wijnaldum and Mane, I am happy enough (now) we signed both, would rather we developed a habit of buying players like them from source at a much cheaper price, but the 60m or whatever they cost combined is maybe only 20m more than I'd value them (at the point we bought) Mane has done very well, is a crucial component, but for me some way off being as big an influence as Suarez was.

    I'll now duck for cover and never return with so many on here not liking it when someone 'dissents'
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #1898  
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    5,759
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    I wasn't impressed when we signed him, he's done a decent enough job but maybe my doubts over fees etc are just grounded in not believing you have to pay 20m or 30m to get a good player is all.....

    Like the debate/discussion I saw elsewhere about Mane and referenced Suarez and was whether he'd improved here. We bought Suarez from Ajax for 23m and maybe they could have demanded more, maybe they just realised Suarez was unlikely to 'take it lying down' and would engineer a move anyway, it's not as if he hadn't been naughty (you know how) before and so maybe to them 23m was a reasonable price they might fight tooth and nail for a bit extra for but may end not.

    Mane I still argue was at best about worth what we paid, but to tie in with Wijnaldum I'm less prone to believe the silly money bandied about for players sets a worthwhile benchmark. In both regards, Wijnaldum and Mane, I am happy enough (now) we signed both, would rather we developed a habit of buying players like them from source at a much cheaper price, but the 60m or whatever they cost combined is maybe only 20m more than I'd value them (at the point we bought) Mane has done very well, is a crucial component, but for me some way off being as big an influence as Suarez was.

    I'll now duck for cover and never return with so many on here not liking it when someone 'dissents'
    Wasn't so long ago we paid 20m for Downing *shudders* and 35m for Carroll. At least Wij and Mane have had a positive impact and if we were to sell them I don't reckon anyone here would accept anything less than what we paid (and Mane's value has risen considerably I'd say). I don't think Suarez is a good measure to use for price/influence tbh, he was a one off and we got him for a ridiculous fee. Much like you can't really say every player we buy for 8m+ should be better than Coutinho.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #1899  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,090
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstandya View Post
    If FSG had given Rodgers another season and then given him 60m this summer to improve us and he came back with Wijnaldum and Mane and not much change, it would be fascinating to see how the forum would have responded.
    What happened to this guy.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #1900  
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Wasn't so long ago we paid 20m for Downing *shudders* and 35m for Carroll. At least Wij and Mane have had a positive impact and if we were to sell them I don't reckon anyone here would accept anything less than what we paid (and Mane's value has risen considerably I'd say). I don't think Suarez is a good measure to use for price/influence tbh, he was a one off and we got him for a ridiculous fee. Much like you can't really say every player we buy for 8m+ should be better than Coutinho.
    Mane and Winjaldum at their previous clubs were similar in that both could be erratic. We've seen Winjaldum at Newcastle turn it on and off like a tap. He went from at times from the sublime to the anonymous. Sadio Mane went from scoring hat-tricks against Man City and Aston Villa to not scoring for 4 months. Unfortunately for us the day he decided to turn it on was against us, and he tore us to pieces.

    I feel both have improved their consistency to a new level and that will have an impact moreso next season. Mane will be unplayable even more often next season. He has shown on a number of occasions that he's an absolute nightmare for defenders. Winjaldum despite a slow start when he was good, but not brilliant has improved the longer the season went on.

    It's these sort of things as fans we do want to see from players that commanded high fees and that's overall improvement and the want to improve. We have that in Firmino, Lallana, Winjaldum and Mane and I'm convinced that Klopp has had something to do with their overall improvement.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #1901  
    Coach791 is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    32,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Coutinhosmagicfeet View Post
    Mane and Winjaldum at their previous clubs were similar in that both could be erratic. We've seen Winjaldum at Newcastle turn it on and off like a tap. He went from at times from the sublime to the anonymous. Sadio Mane went from scoring hat-tricks against Man City and Aston Villa to not scoring for 4 months. Unfortunately for us the day he decided to turn it on was against us, and he tore us to pieces.

    I feel both have improved their consistency to a new level and that will have an impact moreso next season. Mane will be unplayable even more often next season. He has shown on a number of occasions that he's an absolute nightmare for defenders. Winjaldum despite a slow start when he was good, but not brilliant has improved the longer the season went on.

    It's these sort of things as fans we do want to see from players that commanded high fees and that's overall improvement and the want to improve. We have that in Firmino, Lallana, Winjaldum and Mane and I'm convinced that Klopp has had something to do with their overall improvement.
    Did we? I wonder how many Newcastle and Southampton games were watch by LFC fans. I don't think any player shines all the time. In better sides there are more players that make a difference so if one has a game not as effective it's not as easy to spot.

    You could also say playing with better players could help. I'm not sure it's 'wild' up and down form from Gini and Mane. I bet playing for Newcastle being relegated there were games he just didn't see enough of the ball.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #1902  
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,289
    He's begun to add goals to his game, which is good! But he needs to be more consistent in terms of his performances home and away. Overall I think he's been a good signing (applied himself at a bigger club much better than Sissoko has at Spurs), hope he continues to develop into a really decent player next season.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #1903  
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    564
    A lot of pressure on wijnaldum now lallana is injured.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #1904  
    fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,804
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    A lot of pressure on wijnaldum now lallana is injured.
    we were never going to have a fully fit first 11 all the way to the end
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #1905  
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    16,641
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    A lot of pressure on wijnaldum now lallana is injured.
    for what reason?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #1906  
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    23,541
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    A lot of pressure on wijnaldum now lallana is injured.
    I think Coutinho should be the one to give us the extra creativity we are going to need not Wijnaldum.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •