Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Georginio Wijnaldum

1. #1 Default Georginio Wijnaldum 
    Surprised to see there isn't a thread on this.

Looking very likely we're going to sign him in the coming days.

Great signing IMO. Seems more of an attacking player but he's athletic, skilful and powerful enough to be a good central midfielder in my eyes. He has that dynamism I think we can lack in the middle sometimes.

What's the general consensus?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Hey all.

I can't see a thread on him and thought it might be worth while seeing as the rumors are gathering pace. So what do you all make of this one?

Personally I'm not warmed to it. He's not a bad player at all, and has an eye for goal, or at least when playing on the comfort of his own pitch! But I don't see where he fits into our possible strongest 11 and who for, and he's going to cost too much money it seems just to use him as a squad player. I suppose he did net a very healthy 11 goals for a very poor Newcastle side last season if we're trying to be positive about things, and at 25 years of age he's still young enough to improve and find more consistency under a top manager like Klopp.

Really can't make too much sense of it though myself.

seriously hate it whenever we are linked with mediocre, fans start to pin point thigs that dont exist in a player e.g "he's good in the air, his got great stamina, he has an amazing skill" FFS just stop already

we don't need this guy we already have million of CAM. klopp will die playing with 4231 formation we all know the one place in mid is taken by CAN who always goes forward. buying this guy wont make sense bcoz he also goes forward like a CAM

Quote Originally Posted by ColB2016 View Post
    Hey all.

I can't see a thread on him and thought it might be worth while seeing as the rumors are gathering pace. So what do you all make of this one?

Personally I'm not warmed to it. He's not a bad player at all, and has an eye for goal, or at least when playing on the comfort of his own pitch! But I don't see where he fits into our possible strongest 11 and who for, and he's going to cost too much money it seems just to use him as a squad player. I suppose he did net a very healthy 11 goals for a very poor Newcastle side last season if we're trying to be positive about things, and at 25 years of age he's still young enough to improve and find more consistency under a top manager like Klopp.

Really can't make too much sense of it though myself.
    I think it's a great signing. Don't think he'll be the answer in a two but he'll be excellent in a midfield 3 or one of the attacking midfielders.

I like what Klopp is doing. He's adding players with a physical presence and skill. Wijnaldum isn't tall but he's a very strong player and the runs he makes, on and off the ball, will be brilliant in a Klopp team.

Quote Originally Posted by xabi1 View Post
    I think it's a great signing. Don't think he'll be the answer in a two but he'll be excellent in a midfield 3 or one of the attacking midfielders.

I like what Klopp is doing. He's adding players with a physical presence and skill. Wijnaldum isn't tall but he's a very strong player and the runs he makes, on and off the ball, will be brilliant in a Klopp team.
    I'd much prefer us to spend money on a good left-back, though if we manage to sign Wijnaldum and bring in a quality left-back I certainly won't be complaining. But he does have a tendency to go missing a lot and there's a reason why he ended up at Newcastle in the first place and not at a better European club.

I'd much prefer us to spend money on a good left-back, though if we manage to sign Wijnaldum and bring in a quality left-back I certainly won't be complaining. But he does have a tendency to go missing a lot and there's a reason why he ended up at Newcastle in the first place and not at a better European club.
    His goal scoring record for a midfielder doesn't suggest that he goes missing to me.

The thing I like about him is his athleticism. We don't have a player like that. So often last season there were games where we were so pedestrian we couldn't break teams down and became a bit predictable. We were also a shambles at corners.

Now we have players like Mané and hopefully Wijnaldum who have genuine pace and offer a threat we didn't have last season. We also have a more imposing keeper and defender that should improve our defending of set pieces.

Moreno was another weakness but if Klopp believes he can work with him then I'm all for it. He's still young and he does have great pace.

His goal scoring record for a midfielder doesn't suggest that he goes missing to me.

The thing I like about him is his athleticism. We don't have a player like that. So often last season there were games where we were so pedestrian we couldn't break teams down and became a bit predictable. We were also a shambles at corners.

Now we have players like Mané and hopefully Wijnaldum who have genuine pace and offer a threat we didn't have last season. We also have a more imposing keeper and defender that should improve our defending of set pieces.

Moreno was another weakness but if Klopp believes he can work with him then I'm all for it. He's still young and he does have great pace.
    Did you not watch any Newcastle games on TV last season? He went missing a lot, and away from St James' he was absolutely useless. Almost a liability. I'm happy to give him a chance as his goal-threat will add to our squad, I just wouldn't spend a silly amount of money on him and also think we have other priorities.

why do I have a suspicion that if we get him we overpay by 10mil?
    I'd rather have a proper DM to partner Can..

Did you not watch any Newcastle games on TV last season? He went missing a lot, and away from St James' he was absolutely useless. Almost a liability. I'm happy to give him a chance as his goal-threat will add to our squad, I just wouldn't spend a silly amount of money on him and also think we have other priorities.
    I saw their two games against us. The first where he scored they beat us and the second where he came on at HT and they came back from 2-0.

I don't like to criticise a players consistency when they're in a poor team. I prefer to look at what they're capable of and Wijnaldum definitely strikes me as a player that Klopp would work wonders with.

I saw their two games against us. The first where he scored they beat us and the second where he came on at HT and they came back from 2-0.

I don't like to criticise a players consistency when they're in a poor team. I prefer to look at what they're capable of and Wijnaldum definitely strikes me as a player that Klopp would work wonders with.
    Well we can't just ignore the fact that he was absolutely awful for a portion of the season, and didn't score a single goal away from home. Perhaps Klopp would get the bet out of him and help him to find more consistency. But he just strikes me as a bit of a luxury player, someone who goes missing whenever the going gets tough. Therefore the jury is very much out for me, and I think we'd be silly to pay any more than 20 million for him.

I don't like to criticise a players consistency when they're in a poor team. I prefer to look at what they're capable of
    and Wijnaldum definitely strikes me as a player that Klopp would work wonders with.
    Very good point.

Far too expensive for what he is. To spend 25m on a player of his caliber is bad business.

Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    Far too expensive for what he is. To spend 25m on a player of his caliber is bad business.
    He's a guaranteed future Ballon d'Or winner according to some.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Good player, pace and goals from midfield, but not exactly what we need at the minute. He won't play in the 2, and we have good options across the 3 AMs...unless we change formation or plan on playing Firmino as the striker, I don't really see the need. I'd rather see us spend the money on someone to partner Can, or a new LB. If we get those 2 positions filled AND sign Wijnaldum then sure, but I highly doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Good player, pace and goals from midfield, but not exactly what we need at the minute. He won't play in the 2, and we have good options across the 3 AMs...unless we change formation or plan on playing Firmino as the striker, I don't really see the need. I'd rather see us spend the money on someone to partner Can, or a new LB. If we get those 2 positions filled AND sign Wijnaldum then sure, but I highly doubt it.
    I think it indicates an intention to utilise a 433 more often personally. But even if he is being bought to play as one of the supporting 3 I'm still all for it.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to look at the bench and see Wijnaldum and Milner or Mane and Lallana when we're struggling in a game. For too long I think we've lacked genuine threats from the bench. Mane and Wijnaldum give us the power and pace in attack that we lack IMO.

I think it indicates an intention to utilise a 433 more often personally. But even if he is being bought to play as one of the supporting 3 I'm still all for it.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to look at the bench and see Wijnaldum and Milner or Mane and Lallana when we're struggling in a game. For too long I think we've lacked genuine threats from the bench. Mane and Wijnaldum give us the power and pace in attack that we lack IMO.
    What about these young players impressing in preseason? Will they never get a chance because we just keep buying in their positions every year? I think Mane, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Milner, along with the exciting talent coming through would be enough for a season without Europe. I don't see the need for Wijnaldum at all, personally.

What about these young players impressing in preseason? Will they never get a chance because we just keep buying in their positions every year? I think Mane, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Milner, along with the exciting talent coming through would be enough for a season without Europe. I don't see the need for Wijnaldum at all, personally.
    He should help us spread more goals throughout the team.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    He should help us spread more goals throughout the team.
    Where will he play? Will we change formation to fit him in?

It's still a long season and we'll get injuries. It's not all about this season. We'll be in Europe in one competition or the other next year so it's not the end of the line for the younger players.

If I had to pick Wijnaldum or Kent to play against a premier league team I'd go with Wijnaldum every time.

Surprised to see there isn't a thread on this.

Looking very likely we're going to sign him in the coming days.

Great signing IMO. Seems more of an attacking player but he's athletic, skilful and powerful enough to be a good central midfielder in my eyes. He has that dynamism I think we can lack in the middle sometimes.

What's the general consensus?
    How many players with threads starting with "looks very likely" have we signed so far?

Where will he play? Will we change formation to fit him in?
    I don't know mate but it gives us further options. We may play with a single pivot, in Can for example, with Coutinho and Wijnaldum ahead of him against teams that simply come to contain.

It's still a long season and we'll get injuries. It's not all about this season. We'll be in Europe in one competition or the other next year so it's not the end of the line for the younger players.

If I had to pick Wijnaldum or Kent to play against a premier league team I'd go with Wijnaldum every time.
    It wouldn't come down to that though, there's still at least 5 players to play along those 3 positions, then there's Ojo and Origi who can too, and then there's the younger players impressing at the moment. As I say, he's a good player but unless we're changing formation or approach, I don't see the need for him at all and rather we focused on strengthening elsewhere.

He's a bit inconsistent but I would be happy with the signing and it probably would mean less playing time for Lucas and allen which I would be very happy about.

It wouldn't come down to that though, there's still at least 5 players to play along those 3 positions, then there's Ojo and Origi who can too, and then there's the younger players impressing at the moment. As I say, he's a good player but unless we're changing formation or approach, I don't see the need for him at all and rather we focused on strengthening elsewhere.
    Yeah I can see your argument. I think this summer I'm just getting fully behind any signing Klopp wants to make so I'm looking for the positives rather than being fully objective.

I do genuinely see the positives though. He's got a thrust to his style of play that I think we miss. And like I said earlier, I do think that we'll be utilising other formations more. The system RR suggested is just one good possibility.

Midfield and attack maybe of.....

-----------------------Firmino----------------------

Mane----------------------------------------Lallana

-----------Coutinho-----------Wijnaldum-----------

-----------------------..Can--------------------------

......if somebody wants to come to Anfield and park the bus.

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Honestly, no thanks.

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint

It'd take us 5 minutes to get the ball from our box to theirs.....

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    It'd take us 5 minutes to get the ball from our box to theirs.....
    Don't necessarily agree although I wouldn't care if it ended up in the back of their net.

Plenty of variation, hard work and talent in that lineup. I like it.

Having more attack minded players on the pitch doesn't necessarily mean it's easier to beat teams that park the bus. That's so simple minded it's almost amusing.

Far too many Football Manager wizards on this forum I've noticed already.