Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: The iPhone 7

1. #1 Default The iPhone 7 
    will no longer have a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I know a lot of people on this forum have iPhone's. Does this change annoy you, or do you not care and will still buy the new iPhone?

Thank you.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

No headphone jack?? Really??

I think i'd skip 7 if that is the case.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Batteries View Post
    will no longer have a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I know a lot of people on this forum have iPhone's. Does this change annoy you, or do you not care and will still buy the new iPhone?

Thank you.
    Nothing about that phone incites me to upgrade my current 6. I wouldn't have upgraded either ways mind you but nothing excites me in the next iPhone so now there's literally no temptation. The most annoying thing about the 6 is the camera lense that pops out and that's an issue they haven't corrected. Also the design looks exactly the same minus the antenna bands.

As for the headphone jack, it's kid of disappointing. They could go one of two ways: Bluetooth connected EarPods which aren't great because they spend tons of battery. The other option which is the more probable one is that they'll have a special adapter that allows you to plug the earphones into the charging port. Not a massive fan of that idea as it's awkward and needless. I heard they removed the headphone jacks to make the phone more waterproof but personally I don't think it's worth removing the headphone jacks.

No reason whatsoever to upgrade if you have a 5S or more imo. Rumours are that we're getting the first 1000€ iPhone in the 7+ which is just scandalously and ridiculously unaffordable. Ios10 looks amazing though and I'm loving the changes they're gonna implement but you don't have to buy the new iPhone to get that update so there's literally no incentive to buy the new one. Apples progress has stalled and the quality of their devices has gone down since Steve Jobs passed away unfortunately. I'd rather they released an iPhone every 2 years and made it have tons of new features than getting one out every year that's exactly the same as the last one, design wise and capabilities wise.

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    No headphone jack?? Really??

I think i'd skip 7 if that is the case.
    I use bluetooth headphones while working and an earpiece while driving but also the regular headphones because they're easy to carry on a flight and not expensive to replace if lost. Since apple have bought Dr Dre headphones, are they going to come out with some neat little bluetooth headphones which are a good option to use with the new phone?

I only just got a 6 so the 7 is not on my radar. Will check out the OS though - perhaps the 7 will be my next upgrade in a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by geralion View Post
    I use bluetooth headphones while working and an earpiece while driving but also the regular headphones because they're easy to carry on a flight and not expensive to replace if lost. Since apple have bought Dr Dre headphones, are they going to come out with some neat little bluetooth headphones which are a good option to use with the new phone?

I only just got a 6 so the 7 is not on my radar. Will check out the OS though - perhaps the 7 will be my next upgrade in a few years?
    I will guess 7 will come out with its own standard headphone.

TBH I didn't like the size of 6 and have just ordered a 5SE. With the amount of **** I carry a smaller(ish) phone is essential. I'll have a look at 7 when I'm upgrading again, that couple of years will be telling if they've made any mistakes or not.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

-SilkySkills- is offline First team regular
    I'll skip it.

I have a collection of good earphones and headsets I have built up.

Bluetooth is a compressed signal where as wired is lossless so the audio quality is better.

The new EarPods will simply have a lightning connector, meaning there is one port and you won't be able to listen to music via headphones and charge your phone at the same time without a connector.

Its annoying, it always is. But the same thing was said when they got rid of the floppy drive, ethernet ports and CD drives. People lose their sh*t, its really annoying, then 3-4 years down the track its no longer an issue and without these changes technology can't really progress.

hobnobs is offline May contain sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    The new EarPods will simply have a lightning connector, meaning there is one port and you won't be able to listen to music via headphones and charge your phone at the same time without a connector.

Its annoying, it always is. But the same thing was said when they got rid of the floppy drive, ethernet ports and CD drives. People lose their sh*t, its really annoying, then 3-4 years down the track its no longer an issue and without these changes technology can't really progress.
    The floppy was retired due to more effective tech being around, and that tech was very very established... Getting rid of the floppy drive at the point they did I didn't mind, but can you imagine the ****storm that would have occurred if they'd done that before the CD drive was in mass use and the situation was that you could use a floppy drive but would have to install an adapter or the CD ( well, PSU to use an equivalent scenario) wouldn't work?

I've seen a fair few people say things along the line of "but the headphone jack is old tech". Well, so is the wheel... sometimes something works so well that it just sticks around. The jack for the headphone is still around for the same reason that wired power supply chargers are still around. They are the most cost effective solution, not to mention power efficient and easily implemented solutions, and nothing beats it as a combination. I'd expect the amount of people who currently use headphones with a standard jack far far outweighs those who think an extra 5-10% waterproofing is worth the tradeoff for losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by hobnobs View Post
    The floppy was retired due to more effective tech being around, and that tech was very very established... Getting rid of the floppy drive at the point they did I didn't mind, but can you imagine the ****storm that would have occurred if they'd done that before the CD drive was in mass use and the situation was that you could use a floppy drive but would have to install an adapter or the CD ( well, PSU to use an equivalent scenario) wouldn't work?

I've seen a fair few people say things along the line of "but the headphone jack is old tech". Well, so is the wheel... sometimes something works so well that it just sticks around. The jack for the headphone is still around for the same reason that wired power supply chargers are still around. They are the most cost effective solution, not to mention power efficient and easily implemented solutions, and nothing beats it as a combination. I'd expect the amount of people who currently use headphones with a standard jack far far outweighs those who think an extra 5-10% waterproofing is worth the tradeoff for losing it.
    I don't think the headphone jack is outdated tech. What I do know is it takes up space. Look at the width and length of a headphone jack and then compare it to a lightning cable, and imagine the extra battery or thinness or some other component or whatever - I don't know - that could be used instead.

For the record, like you I think this is pushing the envelope more than say the CD drives. Maybe its the wrong decision and people will care enough to push back. But I remember when Firewire and Ethernet went and everyone lost their sh*t and the sole reason was so Apple could get their laptops thinner, and now no one is complaining. I suspect 90% of iPhone users use the default earbuds that come with the phone and won't really care.

If Apple had a list of things that customers "absolutely, no way, Jose" didn't want changing, quite simply we wouldn't have what we have in our hands today.

hobnobs is offline May contain sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    But I remember when Firewire and Ethernet went and everyone lost their sh*t
    To be fair, It's possible to design a very thin ethernet port for a laptop. 3COM did it a long time ago with their XJACK tech, which I used extensively in the days before ethernet was added by default, so Apple removing the port was also a cost saving exercise and not just about thinness.

I deal with lots of very large data transfers on my laptop (given my job) so, when it comes to an ethernet port, wired GB networking is mandatory. I refuse to rely on an external adapter (again) to get it, as I did with the XJACK cards (which I carried two of in case one was lost/nicked/broken), so I voted with my wallet and just stopped buying them.
    Lived through "The Great Outage of 2013"

taylorwilson is offline Armchair supporter
    I work for Custom Paper Writing Service and I have had the Samsung s6 last few months I want something better/different which of the new iphone or Samsung phones do u like most excellent?

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorwilson View Post
    I work for Custom Paper Writing Service and I have had the Samsung s6 last few months I want something better/different which of the new iphone or Samsung phones do u like most excellent?
    Get the Samsung 7, hop on a plane, get out marshmallows and graham crackers and the chocolate.

opapa is offline Armchair supporter
    I am happy to find much useful information in the post, writing sequence is awesome, Friv always look for quality content, thanks for sharing.