Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you watched III

1. #1 Default Rate the last movie you watched III 
    Yehez is online now Rating revolutionary
    @LJOC ordered a new forum started.

I thought the last Star Wars was great. Actually one of the best in the whole series.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    @ever-red-e... fair point mate and in general i do agree. though in some cases where the "episode" is part of a larger story it does leave the options available - main problem is the studios as you say see it as a cash cow rather than taking that extra bit of time to make sure the story is tight. as we can see with so many films that just fail to deliver - after all, have to feed that daft lifestyle somehow.

Re: The Force Awakens from the old thread.

Me: "Minor quibbles aside, it was superb. A massive improvement over those awful prequels"

DantesShadow: "You didn't find it familiar? Remind you of something?"
    It was definitely a rehash of "A New Hope" in virtually every possible way, but that might be the best thing for the franchise. It will allow them to retain all the best things about Star Wars, while ignoring the prequels. Of course that could all end if at some point they mention midichlorians.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    It was definitely a rehash of "A New Hope" in virtually every possible way, but that might be the best thing for the franchise. It will allow them to retain all the best things about Star Wars, while ignoring the prequels. Of course that could all end if at some point they mention midichlorians.
    I think the prequels get a bad press - if you removed JaJa binks; Midchlorines; Ewan McGregor, the annoying young annakin, the annoying older annakin; the desert racing; cameos by hollywood stars; and improved the acting and dialogue, then it could have been ok.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    @ever-red-e... fair point mate and in general i do agree. though in some cases where the "episode" is part of a larger story it does leave the options available - main problem is the studios as you say see it as a cash cow rather than taking that extra bit of time to make sure the story is tight. as we can see with so many films that just fail to deliver - after all, have to feed that daft lifestyle somehow.

On cash cows...have you heard any more about the promethius sequel that was mooted? And isn't it time for an 'Alien' remake/reboot?

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    On cash cows...have you heard any more about the promethius sequel that was mooted? And isn't it time for an 'Alien' remake/reboot?
    is ongoing and ridley scott has given it [Prometheus 2] a name. Alien: Covenant.

I know what you mean - sometimes you want a definitive ending and instead they leave things open for the inevitable sequel. I agree that time ought to be taken to ensure the story is tight but sadly it seldom is - the big studios want at least the potential of a follow-up if the first one makes good money, and unfortunately sometimes that's all it takes. I'm more than happy to see a sequel where the story warrants it, rather than just caring about the financial bottom-line, but it occasionally feels like being in a minority.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    is ongoing and ridley scott has given it [Prometheus 2] a name. Alien: Covenant.
    I'm looking forward to that actually.

The Force Awakens was a scam film. All this waiting and then they rehash the old ****. **** Disney. **** them to no end.

The Wolf of Wall Street

7/10

Pretty good film, but lost its way towards the end.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    I think the prequels get a bad press - if you removed JaJa binks; Midchlorines; Ewan McGregor, the annoying young annakin, the annoying older annakin; the desert racing; cameos by hollywood stars; and improved the acting and dialogue, then it could have been ok.
    I didn't find them as bad as a lot seem to, there were cringeworthy moments and scenes, but then I can say that of the latest one, it's just a growing modern thing that films have become modern and it's difficult to take something iconic, classic, and from the 70s and 80s and make it modern without causing a very different 'feel' as you go through from quels to quels (of the pre to se variety)

For me the worst thing about the prequels was the technology seemed more modern than the originals, too much choreographed scenes, too much special effects producing farcical battle scenes in space and on the ground, too many naff characters, in fact I'd almost be as happy if they had left it at 3 as having 7 and counting. VII had like 1-2 likeable characters, I do exclude the old people's home outing of the original cast as they did themselves no favours or the film franchise being in it.

Or to put it another way, I-III and VII add nothing to IV-VI, in fact that IV-VI is palindromic in a non-numeric fashion is awesome and should have been preserved
    People will believe what they want to believe

Prometheus was ok, just didn't sit well in the Alien series and some of it struggled to make sense. The last part of the film did it no favours, could have been done way better, and I liked the captain (Idris Alba) character so killing him was annoying. And maybe have a male lead character for a change, doesn't have to be a Ripley type woman coming through adversity and finding her inner "girl power", hell it isn't written by and starring the spice girls and triggering one of the most annoying phases ever

The Expendables 5/10 saw as much of the film as I've seen before, from start until I think I must have fallen asleep or turned over. Nothing great, not as bad as some of the bits I'd seen before made me think it might be, but a jumbled up plot and not a lot of adding anything new - in fact it just added lots old, old actors, just really looked cobbled together
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 8-9-16 at 13:24.

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    Civil War - 9/10.

Love it.

The Girl In The Cafe

Very preachy of course. Third world debt is bad. OK, got that. But two great performances from Bill Nighy and Kelly McDonald.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Fassbender said he's finished shooting on it, so it must be finished or nearly finished at least. Talk of Neill Blomkamp directing a new Alien sequel that would ignore Alien 3 and pick up straight from Aliens, which I'd like to see.

I quite liked Prometheus too, though. Maybe not enough action for a lot of people, but I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Fassbender said he's finished shooting on it, so it must be finished or nearly finished at least. Talk of Neill Blomkamp directing a new Alien sequel that would ignore Alien 3 and pick up straight from Aliens, which I'd like to see.

I quite liked Prometheus too, though. Maybe not enough action for a lot of people, but I enjoyed it.
    post production i think, should come out sometime next year. from what i gather, and could be wrong, its following the ship to the makers original planet and shows more of why the alien was engineered and should leave with set up for the next film that eventually leads into alien.. have to admit not been taking much notice of this one, think i might have to revisit Prometheus to refresh my memory as i didn't rate it at the time..

interesting that about blomkamp, i quite enjoyed district 9. it seems the alien film is in a holding state until the current sequel to prometeous is done and dusted so i would guess 2 years away and likely the final time we see ripley as the lead...

Florence Foster Jenkins is a good film with some excellent acting and Liverpool standing in for New York City of the 1940's. Hugh Grant may be nominated for an academy award for this film. My wife asked me to see it with her since I usually prefer action films, but I have to admit that I actually liked the film which is based on a real person's quest to be a singer. As usual, Merle Streep is very good and doesn't make the title character a complete idiot.

Transformers 5 is in the making at the moment.
    Now you talk about cash cows

Paranormal Activity on Netflix. Remember being genuinely unnerved first time round. Seems ridiculous now. 2/10

Talk of Neill Blomkamp directing a new Alien sequel that would ignore Alien 3 and pick up straight from Aliens, which I'd like to see.
    Whilst Alien 3, and indeed Alien Resurrection in my book, were decent enough instalments, there's no reason why the Aliens world has to be sequential. A few rogue aliens could have escaped or another ship landed and picked one up and them spread further afield do a non-Ripley part of the universe........

I did find the AVP series on earth a bit naff only because of the non-future setting of it all, I think the Aliens belong in our future but that was probably the influence of the Predator films brought that about. I didn't mind either AVP film btw, just being critical

I spent most of it waiting to see how it would unfold and tie in with Aliens....

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Didn't ever like that much, watched a bit of the cartoon series back when I was a kid but it's like He Man and a number of others where toys drive cartoons and/or films. That would be a big discussion on the merits of turning toys and comic books into cartoons or films.

He Man sucked far more than it deserved with Dolph but mainly in two ways - they came up with Gwidor or whatever his name was rather than Orko (?) due to cheap budget, and it was set on Earth which was very 80s and a number of films that did that in the 80s sucked. (not all, but it did with little action on Eternia (? if I remember his home planet correctly)

A watchable film, but failed too much which was a shame. They did the same to Biggles, bringing in a time travel/twin element when the Biggles series of books are great and they could have done so much more than just ruin it. That too was watchable, decent soundtrack, but it should have stuck to the books.

I'm probably alone in thinking Green Lantern wasn't a bad film, didn't strike me as any better or worse than my vague recollection of reading one or two comic books about him maybe 3 decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    One of the biggest disappointments ever. Loved them as a kid and here it was - coming to the big screen....

Its only rival for disappointment was when JaJa Binks appears at the start of the new star wars...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Whilst Alien 3, and indeed Alien Resurrection in my book, were decent enough instalments, there's no reason why the Aliens world has to be sequential. A few rogue aliens could have escaped or another ship landed and picked one up and them spread further afield do a non-Ripley part of the universe........

I did find the AVP series on earth a bit naff only because of the non-future setting of it all, I think the Aliens belong in our future but that was probably the influence of the Predator films brought that about. I didn't mind either AVP film btw, just being critical

I spent most of it waiting to see how it would unfold and tie in with Aliens....
    Good idea on Alien stories running parallel!

Loved Alien 1 and 2. It's like the Terminator 1 and T2 of space. People prefer one over the other. I grew up preferring Aliens and T2 but as I've gotten older Alien and T1 are my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Yehez View Post
    @LJOC ordered a new forum started.

I thought the last Star Wars was great. Actually one of the best in the whole series.
    I have mixed feelings about it. I think it was great the way they tried to tie everything together but it all felt so rushed, like there was material enough in this movie for a whole trilogy. There was so much more backstory left unexplored. But I suppose they just wanted to really get on with telling the story they really wanted to tell; a new Star Wars.

Comfortably better than the first too prequels but I really loved Sith, despite how baggy it was.

Looking forward to rogue one now though. I have no real interest in seeing a Han Solo movie without Ford though, so not sure how I feel about his origin movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post
    The Wolf of Wall Street

7/10

Pretty good film, but lost its way towards the end.
    I preferred this when it was called Goodfellas.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    I preferred this when it was called Goodfellas.
    Goodfellas had a shine box that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Goodfellas had a shine box that's why.
    Goodfellas is the single most perfect movie ever made, from casting to script to score to cinematography to well every single aspect of it.

It stands alone. It's the greatest movie ever made bar no

Goodfellas is the single most perfect movie ever made, from casting to script to score to cinematography to well every single aspect of it.

It stands alone. It's the greatest movie ever made bar no
    Ooooh, Godfather II ?

Quote Originally Posted by DidiDidIt View Post
    Ooooh, Godfather II ?
    Not even close. There's no movie anyone could name that I'd hold in the same esteem.
    It's literally every aspect of the movie that's as perfect as you can get. It's beautifully shot too, with the tracking shot of Liotta and Bracco entering the Copacabana just about the best example of a long take you could find.

Perfect movie in each and every way.

Not even close. There's no movie anyone could name that I'd hold in the same esteem.
    It's literally every aspect of the movie that's as perfect as you can get. It's beautifully shot too, with the tracking shot of Liotta and Bracco entering the Copacabana just about the best example of a long take you could find.

Perfect movie in each and every way.
    It is amazing, yeah. I think Godfather II is up there though. I also think Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece.