Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you watched III

I'm about to watch Rogue One. I'm already disappointed there's no crawl.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    I'm about to watch Rogue One. I'm already disappointed there's no crawl.
    I liked that touch actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    I liked that touch actually.
    It was absolutely fantastic. It completely felt like a star wars movie. It was nostalgic but not overly sweet like the force awakens. You can it was made and directed by someone totally in love with star wars.

It should have had the crawl though, and it should be incorporated properly into the series. I'd love to see more movies from this period too now.

I'd quite like to see the rumoured bounty hunter movie set around Empire.

Also Forest Whitaker was underused and then thrown away quickly. Deserved more.

This felt more like a star wars movie than Jedi did, never mind any of the prequels

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    This felt more like a star wars movie than Jedi did, never mind any of the prequels
    I'm not surprised you enjoyed it. I recently got it as well and am planning on watching it on the weekend for the second time. I enjoyed TFA the second and third time around so I'm expecting the same of Rogue One. I think Disney got this one so so right.

Is it better to watch the theatrical Rogue 1 edition or the extended edition? It's nearly an hour extra so I am tempted - but not if they just fill that **** with little blue elephant like aliens and stupid alien music bands etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    Is it better to watch the theatrical Rogue 1 edition or the extended edition? It's nearly an hour extra so I am tempted - but not if they just fill that **** with little blue elephant like aliens and stupid alien music bands etc.
    oo theres an extended one ? I might have to check that out !

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    oo theres an extended one ? I might have to check that out !

Don't get excited - just came across this:

Don't get too excited for extended or deleted scenes. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is finally out on Blu-ray and digital HD, and for the Jedi faithful, it couldn't arrive fast enough. The movie itself is fantastic, but just as exciting is the prospect of bonus content — because there has got to be a ton of extra stuff, like crazy scenes that were cut and alternate takes from the extensive reshoots, right?!

Heat Vision got its hands on the Blu-ray and ... not so much. (Cue sad R2-D2 beep.)

The bonus features on Rogue One are fun, they are, but come on! No commentary track?! No deleted scenes?! This is especially frustrating because we know there were so many changes to this film. Ben Mendelsohn, who plays Orson Krennic has gone so far as to say an "enormously different" version exists.

"We did have multiple, multiple ways of going at any given scenario, we had multiple readings of it," Mendelsohn told Collider in late December. "So should they ever decide to, there would be a wealth of ways of approaching these different things. And I know from having seen sort of the crucial kind of scenes throughout it, I know there’s vastly different readings of at least four of those scenes."

Now, we know Disney has no plans to release an alternate cut, but it only makes sense there were some scenes left on the cutting room floor due to time and pace. Where are those?

And, again, why no commentary track? Even if director Gareth Edwards was told to lay off the reshoots talk, it would still be fantastic to hear his insight on what we are seeing.

Perhaps there may be some ultimate edition down the line that has a lot more bonus content, which would be a ploy to squeeze a few more bucks out of us (that is a different nerd rant altogether …). But seriously, how many versions of a single movie do we need to buy before we get what we want?

To be fair, the "Stories" part of the extras is fun, especially showing all that went into Princess Leia and Grand Moff Tarkin being in the film. Those short videos are well done, but, for the most part, they have the feeling of something that you would expect to see before the movie was released to get fans hyped rather than a deeper dive afterward.

And the "Connections" portion — which explain how the movie relates to the other films — is cute, but most fans already know the connections within the film to other Star Wars stories.

Oh, well. At least we finally get to watch Rogue One on loop at home.

I was getting excited too you ****** !!

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    I was getting excited too you ****** !!

Maybe you will still like it - here is another review:

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The Force is strong in this one: "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" was released on Blu-ray today (April 4), laden with behind-the-scenes and bonus material for true fans to dive into. The film came out on DVD on March 24.

And for those who need more "Rogue One" than they got in theaters, a suite of bonus features will provide plenty of extra content. The features will look toward the future of stand-alone "Star Wars" films; spotlight the many unlikely heroes (and villains) that populate "Rogue One"; and discuss how the film's concept, story and visual style came together.

"Never-before-seen 'Rogue One' bonus material will take fans behind the scenes with the movie's diverse, dynamic cast and inspired team of filmmakers," Lucasfilm representatives said in a statement. "An intimate collection of stories reveals how the film came to life, as well as hidden Easter eggs and film facts that audiences may have missed in the theater."

A series of clips from one bonus featurette dives deep into the making of K-2SO, a reprogrammed Imperial droid played by Alan Tudyk.

There was a lot cut from Rogue One. You only need look at the trailer and the movie to see how they changed things and what was cut.

I think you should always watch the theatrical release first, unless you see a director completely disown a movie and then they bring out a directors cut. I don't think I've enjoyed any of these extended cut movies they constantly have with new releases. It tends to be alternative cuts of older movies which I enjoy watching after the original more.

Train to Busan - 9/10. Easily one of the best Zombie films around.

Caught The Fate of the Furious, lost in mindless violence for a couple of hours. Was ok, 7/10.

Also saw The Batman Leggo Movie - now that's one clever and enjoyable flick. Worth a 8.5/10.

I watched Logan over the weekend, a much different beast to the other Wolverine/X-Men films but a change for the better, that being said, it isn't light on violence but it has its poignant moments with Patrick Stewart doing a fantastic job in that regard.

8.8/10
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Also re-watched Rogue 1, I think I may have been a bit hard on it last time and after three viewings I'm liking more of what I see. I think its a worthy lead into A New Hope although they should have just called it Star Wars - Everyone Dies. - 7.8/10

Rogue One, watched it for the second time and thought it was brilliant, superb. I even fist pumped the air in happiness at the end

Best Star Wars film for many years, **** all over those awful prequels which were abominations, Force Awakens was a nice ok nostalgic trip but this, this film had it all, proper story, convincing characters in the main and Darth at the end exactly how everyone wished to see him but never quite did, as in properly terrifying, formidable and deadly.

Plus I love the fact the heroes in this film had no corny cliched way out of it all

Proper film, 9.5/10

As much as I love the originals, it also made those feel a little dated and soft too

More like this please and never thought I'd be thankful to Walt Disney for taking the franchise away from George Lucas who was killing his own work

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Rogue One, watched it for the second time and thought it was brilliant, superb. I even fist pumped the air in happiness at the end

Best Star Wars film for many years, **** all over those awful prequels which were abominations, Force Awakens was a nice ok nostalgic trip but this, this film had it all, proper story, convincing characters in the main and Darth at the end exactly how everyone wished to see him but never quite did, as in properly terrifying, formidable and deadly.

Plus I love the fact the heroes in this film had no corny cliched way out of it all

Proper film, 9.5/10

As much as I love the originals, it also made those feel a little dated and soft too

More like this please and never thought I'd be thankful to Walt Disney for taking the franchise away from George Lucas who was killing his own work
    I loved that bit so much.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Young Sherlock 7/10 promised quite a lot, but too much blow dart induced hallucinations, a little surprised it wasn't sequelised.

Only caught the tail end of Guardians of the chocolate bar that isn't even in the film , must watch that again as it is half decent and far far better (talking of galaxies away) than the rubbish film people keep talking as if it is fantastic. And sorry WP but 'fist pumping' at a film is quite tragic, truly it is.

Saw most of Despicable Me 2 = 6/10, mostly through a weekend of not feeling at all well from which I'm just about recovered. Doesn't quite have the same cutting edge plot of the first, but is basically ok for what it is.

Sure I saw other films which I can't remember what, oh one I bought I suppose so should be able to recall any second now The Goonies 7/10 classic nonsense of a kids adventure movie, the kind of thing we all dreamed we might go on as kids. Really now makes me want to watch the one, the only, the original, Karate Kid which is in my basket to buy when I need a top up for free postage.

Might just give Amazon a bit of "payback" whilst on here, cranking the price up on a series of DVD boxsets I'm buying and I suspect very much guilty of not exactly price matching, but making sure they're competitive enough without ever being an outstanding price. I'd like to buy the DVD boxsets from elsewhere, but where they are fractionally cheaper I don't know or trust implicitly the website with regards customer service - one aspect I think Amazon uses in a not very fair way. When I tried to point out a pricing error they made, doesn't sit properly with the other items, all the advisor said was I could buy it second hand for cheaper! (well duh )

EDIT : The internet may be great for us to compare prices etc, but equally this allows companies to do the same to make sure they slightly undercut or remain competitive. I should point out in fairness if for not other reason that I haven't had much cause to complain about Amazon up until more recent times. Really need to go return the t-shirt bought through Amazon where the marketplace seller maintained they sent me the right size but didn't. Such a faff for something should be checked just before packing and dispatch
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 18-4-17 at 10:57. Reason: forgot to put in what I had intended to
    People will believe what they want to believe

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Going to watch fast 8 on thursday.
    ?

Shriekback is online now Academy prospect
    Thief (1981) Dir: Michael Mann
    To Live and Die In LA (1985) Dir: William Friedkin

Both 10/10 - top notch crime thrillers.

Proper film, 9.5/10

I saw Rogue One again this past weekend and I did it right. I sat down in the night, turned on the surround sound and watched in the dark so there was no glare on the screen. My goodness was it good.

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Fantastic Beasts.

Good Harry Potter movie without that **** in it.

7.5/10. Enjoyed.

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    I saw Rogue One again this past weekend and I did it right. I sat down in the night, turned on the surround sound and watched in the dark so there was no glare on the screen. My goodness was it good.
    Same, but I had 6 pints in me at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed it except for all the times I had to pause to explain the subplot and coordinating timeline to my wife, and also all the times we paused so she could look up the character 'you know, from that one film, with the things....'

9/10.

ESB
    Rogue 1
    New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    the 3 **** ones

in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Same, but I had 6 pints in me at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed it except for all the times I had to pause to explain the subplot and coordinating timeline to my wife, and also all the times we paused so she could look up the character 'you know, from that one film, with the things....'

9/10.

ESB
    Rogue 1
    New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    the 3 **** ones

in that order.
    Yeah, I watched it alone and that was the right call. I ate dinner to start it off, then I paused it, cleaned everything up and ate dessert while watching it. Perfect way to spend the Sat along with the playoffs.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Juggernaut 7/10 bit slow moving at times, but keeping the tension there. Quite a star studded cast, bugged me last time I watched it as to who one of the coppers was and turns out he was Admiral Piett from Star Wars V and VI.

Made a bit of a mistake watching that and indeed doing countdown (that idiot from Fyfield thinks four big numbers and alternating consonant and vowels is the way to go does my head in, wouldn't be so bad if he were consistent on what have been relatively easy numbers in spite of it all last few games) The mistake was not in the programme but I was trying to finish Blakes 7 and that delayed the finish until midnight which wasn't ideal.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I loved that bit so much.
    Great in it, there is a brilliant little clip somewhere of that end mashed up with the beginning of New Hope, merges perfectly.

That's the way, I do that for a special film feel, glad you enjoyed it so much mate.

I may have to watch it again this weekend at some point

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    Going to watch fast 8 on thursday.
    Okay a solid 6.5/10 better than the last 5 which was all a bit meh. I enjoyed 2 Fast 2 Furious the most though probably because of Eva Mendez.
    ?

Great in it, there is a brilliant little clip somewhere of that end mashed up with the beginning of New Hope, merges perfectly.

That's the way, I do that for a special film feel, glad you enjoyed it so much mate.

I may have to watch it again this weekend at some point
    Its one of those films that deserves a good sound system and big screen.

Jupiter Ascending...bad. 5/10

Its one of those films that deserves a good sound system and big screen.
    I can understand wanting a big screen for viewing a film such as star wars, especially one with such good special effects, but I never saw the need for a good sound set up to watch a movie !

Surely you only really need to hear what is being said, It is one of the criticisms I have when I go to the cinema nowadays too, they are always far too loud, no music or anything, just loud noise !!

Maybe I am getting too old and sceptical for my own good, but I never really saw the need for surround sound either, just give me one good speaker that I can hear clearly and I am happy !