Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last TV show you watched #2

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    It was good to Morningstar back. ������
    it was, had a good chuckle yesterday morning watching it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I've been watching the alternative comedy show with Stewart Lee, lots of proper comedians doing proper gigs with proper humour (all of which sits outside the McIntyre spectrum), some amazing acts and real funny stand up's.

Puts most of Night at The Apollo acts in the shadow really, quite poor by comparison with all those annoying little Russell acts, Howard, Kane, Brand etc

Anyway, if you enjoy good stand up comedy, seek this out

The Office (British version) - 10/10

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    I've been watching the alternative comedy show with Stewart Lee, lots of proper comedians doing proper gigs with proper humour (all of which sits outside the McIntyre spectrum), some amazing acts and real funny stand up's.

Puts most of Night at The Apollo acts in the shadow really, quite poor by comparison with all those annoying little Russell acts, Howard, Kane, Brand etc

Anyway, if you enjoy good stand up comedy, seek this out
    Yeah, much better standard although still a few 'hipster-ish' types on it I didn't really enjoy, but definitely a lot better than then 'Mock the Week' crowd, who are just plain awful. I watched a little of this guy I've never heard of before, James Acaster, on Comedy Central and he was diabolical. Stuff like 'You know how you never miss things until they're gone? Like, the day you cut your nails is the day you need to put 10 keys on a keyring'...Hahahaha. No. Then some woman came on, and did the usual woman spiel, and came out with the quality joke 'This girl yeah, she had so much botox, she couldn't show any expression on her face, and that's why they invented emojis', and the crowd absolutely ********** themselves at it.

I despair.

Nothing will ever beat Stewart Lee's rant on Top Gear and the Hamster Hammond, though

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Monkey World.
    One of the chimps died,so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Yeah, much better standard although still a few 'hipster-ish' types on it I didn't really enjoy, but definitely a lot better than then 'Mock the Week' crowd, who are just plain awful. I watched a little of this guy I've never heard of before, James Acaster, on Comedy Central and he was diabolical. Stuff like 'You know how you never miss things until they're gone? Like, the day you cut your nails is the day you need to put 10 keys on a keyring'...Hahahaha. No. Then some woman came on, and did the usual woman spiel, and came out with the quality joke 'This girl yeah, she had so much botox, she couldn't show any expression on her face, and that's why they invented emojis', and the crowd absolutely ********** themselves at it.

I despair.

Nothing will ever beat Stewart Lee's rant on Top Gear and the Hamster Hammond, though
    Aye overall it gets the laughs and some really funny moments throughout, like you say one or two hipster types but I find comedy circles tend to invite those in a little, a tad pretentious at times though I found it interesting watching some of the acts and seeing how simplified and commercial they'd been made by one or two other now more famous comedians who have essentially ripped them off.

Mock The Week, just became awful, quick fire crow barred in one liners to promote their own material.

Hey mate speaking of Stuart Lee and rants, I've got tickets to go see him in early November, playing in Cardiff. Buzzing for that, hoping I'm in the right side of the audience

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Aye overall it gets the laughs and some really funny moments throughout, like you say one or two hipster types but I find comedy circles tend to invite those in a little, a tad pretentious at times though I found it interesting watching some of the acts and seeing how simplified and commercial they'd been made by one or two other now more famous comedians who have essentially ripped them off.

Mock The Week, just became awful, quick fire crow barred in one liners to promote their own material.

Hey mate speaking of Stuart Lee and rants, I've got tickets to go see him in early November, playing in Cardiff. Buzzing for that, hoping I'm in the right side of the audience
    Ha, I'm sure you'll be in the side that gets the jokes and are into it That's brilliant though mate, would love to see him. I saw Louis CK in Dublin last month, and he was absolutely brilliant. Was supposed to see Bill Burr a few weeks before but had to cancel as I was ill, gutted!

I've never liked Mock the Week, or Live at the Apollo or any of that obviously scripted nonsense. I don't get how these people are famous, honestly. I know their punchline long before they even get to it, everything is just so predictable and lazy.

Ha, I'm sure you'll be in the side that gets the jokes and are into it That's brilliant though mate, would love to see him. I saw Louis CK in Dublin last month, and he was absolutely brilliant. Was supposed to see Bill Burr a few weeks before but had to cancel as I was ill, gutted!

I've never liked Mock the Week, or Live at the Apollo or any of that obviously scripted nonsense. I don't get how these people are famous, honestly. I know their punchline long before they even get to it, everything is just so predictable and lazy.
    Bill Burr would be something, had me cracked up a few times.

Yeah so excited to see him, I saw him once before in a tiny venue about 8/9 years back, I managed to get a bootleg dvd copy of it, he did a remarkable bit about Jesus and vomit towards the end, never sat in such a bizarrely uncomfortable audience whereas in pockets of us it was hilarious. It was so tense but I was cracked up along with a few others. It was all about the more right wing Christians who went after him after the Jerry Springer Opera he directed, just incredible.

Aye I like to think myself easily amused but a lot of it as you say is scripted nonsense and sometimes they aren't even producing comedy, its just bouncing around a lot and sounding funny while talking about remarkably mundane things. All very diluted and dull and its that thing of 'making it big' I guess and finding the formula to sell. It should be just being funny, unpredictable and any fortunes made are a genuine bi-product of that as opposed to a contrived approach.

Like that Russell Kane, touring & doing gigs about his father dying.....as Stewart Lee said, lucky his grief lasted long enough to make a commercial gain from it

Watched the start of the new series of Blindspot. Not impressed. 2nd episode in parts where pathetic.

1st episode of The Blacklist will hopefully impress me more

Watched the start of the new series of Blindspot. Not impressed. 2nd episode in parts where pathetic.

1st episode of The Blacklist will hopefully impress me more
    I watched episode 1 this morning and I'm surprised how easy she got back in again. I liked the first season overall so I'll withhold judgement for the moment.

Looks like the autumn schedule is kicking off with gusto with many of my "must watch" shows cropping up and even walking dead on the 23rd October where we'll find out who actually ate some bat. Good times.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Anybody here still watching impractical jokers? It looks like they've become even more immune to shame and the punishments have reached a whole new level

Enjoying Suits and Dark Matter at the moment. FTWD still trashy but watchable.

Can't wait for TWD and Expanse!

Stranger things 8/10
    The night of 7/10
    The night manager 7/10

its friday and its luke cage hero for hire time.. :

edit: damn, just seen a press release that tarantino is considering doing a movie of luke cage. please god no...
    Last edited by lonewolf kal; 30-9-16 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    I know him as Lemond Bishop!

JessaRagen is offline Armchair supporter
    Between two ferns - LOVE IT 9/10

Currently doing my annual rewatch of my favourite comedy shows.

This time it's

Men Behaving Badly.

10/10.

edit: damn, just seen a press release that tarantino is considering doing a movie of luke cage. please god no...
    Watched the 1st episode and fell zzzzzzzzzz

Why? Tarantino is one of the best.

Anyway, this Luke Cage character does nothing for me. I might check it out but seems a bit boring.

Why? Tarantino is one of the best.

Anyway, this Luke Cage character does nothing for me. I might check it out but seems a bit boring.
    tis fine, i like my comic books being bought to the screen. not everyone's cup of tea, so its kewl. as for tarantino, just finding his "style" a bit repetitive now - like guy ritchie. prefer better stories rather than the gimmicks.

tis fine, i like my comic books being bought to the screen. not everyone's cup of tea, so its kewl. as for tarantino, just finding his "style" a bit repetitive now - like guy ritchie. prefer better stories rather than the gimmicks.
    What gimmicks? Tarantino does a great job of storytelling for the most part.

What gimmicks? Tarantino does a great job of storytelling for the most part.
    key word, most part. i got bored with the circular story just like im getting bored with the guy ritchie flashbacks to explain something earlier in the film.

I caught up with Netflix Original - Designated Survivor over the weekend. Although its just the first two episodes so far I can see this is going to be a good watch. 8/10 so far. Has echoes of 24 without the badassery though that might be just because Kiefer is in it.

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I caught up with Netflix Original- Designated Survivor over the weekend. Although its just the first two episodes so far I can see this is going to be a good watch. 8/10 so far. Has echoes of 24 without the badassery though that might be just because Kiefer is in it.
    I haven't decided yet whether or not I want to check it out. Looks intriguing, but I have so many shows right now.

Minor correction...while Netflix is showing it outside of N. America, it's not actually a Netflix production. (Sorry to be "that guy".)

Luke Cage-7/10. Some brilliant episodes, namely episodes 7-9. Really good villains in particular cottonmouth. All this being said, some of the episodes were lazy and dragged on a bit. The last episode for me was really not very good at all, so unbelievably cheesy from top to bottom. Overall I would recommend it but don't buy into the crazy hype surrounding it, I think you'll be disappointed if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I caught up with Netflix Original - Designated Survivor over the weekend. Although its just the first two episodes so far I can see this is going to be a good watch. 8/10 so far. Has echoes of 24 without the badassery though that might be just because Kiefer is in it.
    Ok - that swung it for me!

Looking for something new, have only Dark Matter and FTWD going - good season this but really just a prelude for Oct 25!

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedByAgger View Post
    I haven't decided yet whether or not I want to check it out. Looks intriguing, but I have so many shows right now.

Minor correction...while Netflix is showing it outside of N. America, it's not actually a Netflix production. (Sorry to be "that guy".)
    Mistakes happen!

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    Ok - that swung it for me!

Looking for something new, have only Dark Matter and FTWD going - good season this but really just a prelude for Oct 25!
    Its worth a watch of the first episode just to see if its your thing or not. Its not for everybody but entertaining all the same.

On FTWD, I decided to stockpile the remaining episodes and I have about 4 or 5 to go. I think they could have gone a different direction altogether with this show but it is just turning into TWD v.2. Anyway, its zombies so I'll keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    Anybody here still watching impractical jokers? It looks like they've become even more immune to shame and the punishments have reached a whole new level
    Love it mate. When im bored I'll look to comedy central

Love it mate. When im bored I'll look to comedy central
    I must admit 'Drunk History' is a personal favourite