Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last TV show you watched #2

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    he was brilliant...
    i like Mcshane Kal... he just seems to get better as he gets older, my son says i should watch him in "Deadwood" as he raves about his performance in it, i thought he nailed it as "Teddy" in sexy beast...... scary as **** he was in that
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by meistermind View Post
    i like Mcshane Kal... he just seems to get better as he gets older, my son says i should watch him in "Deadwood" as he raves about his performance in it, i thought he nailed it as "Teddy" in sexy beast...... scary as **** he was in that
    He is the single best thing about Deadwood. As good as the series is, his performance is absolutely outstanding. One of the best characters in any recent tv I could think of.

He is the single best thing about Deadwood. As good as the series is, his performance is absolutely outstanding. One of the best characters in any recent tv I could think of.

that is virtually word for word what my son said to me Fios ...... especially the part you refer to as " One of the best characters in any recent tv I could think of.[/QUOTE] as to why i should watch it, and believe me my son has watched most critically acclaimed tv series such as G.O.T`S, THE WIRE etc to name a few ...... high praise indeed.....

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    yeah think i would agree with that. dunno if its age, but so many proper british "actors" just seem to nail it as they get older.. he was ok in lovejoy, not my favorite type of show, but some of the cameos over the last decade he's been brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    yeah think i would agree with that. dunno if its age, but so many proper british "actors" just seem to nail it as they get older.. he was ok in lovejoy, not my favorite type of show, but some of the cameos over the last decade he's been brilliant.
    I think most actors tend to get better with age, as they learn their craft more.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    I think most actors tend to get better with age, as they learn their craft more.
    the ones that tread the boards probably do - the tv made ones are still as wooden as ever

edit: David Suchet made a good point regarding acting and how he has kept in work unlike some that become unemployable because of typecasting. quote: "I never played Me. I am a Character Actor, not a Personality Star" which is a fair comment and reminds me very much of actors such as Alec Guiness or Ian Mackellen
    Last edited by lonewolf kal; 6-5-17 at 09:42.

that is virtually word for word what my son said to me Fios ...... especially the part you refer to as " One of the best characters in any recent tv I could think of.
    as to why i should watch it, and believe me my son has watched most critically acclaimed tv series such as G.O.T`S, THE WIRE etc to name a few ...... high praise indeed.....[/QUOTE]

The first couple of seasons of Deadwood are fantastic. I havent seen it for years so I dont know how it's held up but i dont see why it would date.

I'll give it another watch when I get a chance as it's well worth it.

Line of duty (latest)

- don't know what the big fuss was. 6/10. A little too far fetched at times.

Just starting on Imposters

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Just finished watching Twin Peaks they other day and the film yesterday, what can I say, its the most original show I ever watched, its unique, the greatest most creative show of all time.

I like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos but what do we learn from those shows that we haven't already seen with Scorsese?, I mean the mob was already done to death around when it started.

Twin Peaks is an absolute masterpiece of a show, pure creative art, can't believe its took me so long to watch it, its great news that season 3 is to be shown on Sky in couple of weeks.

David Lynch is a genius.
    Last edited by +Shriekback+; 12-5-17 at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    Just finished watching Twin Peaks they other day and the film yesterday, what can I say, its the most original show I ever watched, its unique, the greatest most creative show of all time.

I like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos but what do we learn form those shows that we haven't already seen with Scorsese?, I mean the mob was already done to death around when it started.

Twin Peaks is an absolute masterpiece of a show, pure creative art, can't believe its took me so long to watch it, its great news that season 3 is to be shown on Sky in couple of weeks.

David Lynch is a genius.
    For me, the most interesting part of the Sopranos was the modern mafia and the struggles of balancing. Scorsese was really only sort of depicting "peak mafia" and then the beginning of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    For me, the most interesting part of the Sopranos was the modern mafia and the struggles of balancing. Scorsese was really only sort of depicting "peak mafia" and then the beginning of the end.
    Sopranos was good show but I thought it had to much humor in it, overall it as like a comedy.

One major thing that I disagreed with was Tony seeing a psychiatrist, how can a psychopathic killer be in touch with his feeling, kind of flawed isn't it? one day he talks to her about his emotions, next he is choking someone to death with a wire.

I wonder if Roy DeMeo or John Gotti had a shrink
    Last edited by +Shriekback+; 13-5-17 at 12:42.

a trailer for the new Star Trek Discovery is here... looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM
    Last edited by lonewolf kal; 18-5-17 at 00:07.

I like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos but what do we learn from those shows that we haven't already seen with Scorsese?, I mean the mob was already done to death around when it started.

David Lynch is a genius.
    I loved Twin Peaks mate, its an incredible story and series with still standout imagination in its story

Truly unique though it was such a shame the murder reveal came too early in the show and Lynch walked out for a while where the standard of the series dropped for a while in season 2.

Can't wait for season 3, been waiting 25 years!

I also think to my taste Breaking Bad was wildly over rated, great for about 2 seasons, should have been quick fire an end in sight but went on too long and became a montage fest at times

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    This season of Better Call Saul feels like the slow, tedious first season. This latest episode was absolute filler, nothing happened apart from finding out how he got the name. They don't half drag things out on this show. I don't mind slow burners, but not episodes on end.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    This season of Better Call Saul feels like the slow, tedious first season. This latest episode was absolute filler, nothing happened apart from finding out how he got the name. They don't half drag things out on this show. I don't mind slow burners, but not episodes on end.
    I stopped watching at around episode 3 of the new season.

Masters of None season 2 - 6.5/10. I didn't enjoy it as much as many others did. I personally much preferred season 1.

Now rewatching parks & rec, it's so good. That, friends and the office are series I could rewatch over and over. There really aren't too many good sitcoms about these days and the ones I enjoy (EX Brooklyn 99) end up getting cancelled.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    I stopped watching at around episode 3 of the new season.
    I hated the first season, and struggled badly to finish it, but I really enjoyed the second. This one has slipped again though, I find most of it tedious and they drag out various scenes and montages for no real reason at all, it seems. I've had my fill of *********** Chuck too, awful character and awful storyline.

Masters of None season 2 - 6.5/10. I didn't enjoy it as much as many others did. I personally much preferred season 1.

Now rewatching parks & rec, it's so good. That, friends and the office are series I could rewatch over and over. There really aren't too many good sitcoms about these days and the ones I enjoy (EX Brooklyn 99) end up getting cancelled.
    I gave that a real go but it just seemed slow and a little too safe, slightly too gentle a comedy for me, likeable but no real cutting humour which I tend to like.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    I hated the first season, and struggled badly to finish it, but I really enjoyed the second. This one has slipped again though, I find most of it tedious and they drag out various scenes and montages for no real reason at all, it seems. I've had my fill of *********** Chuck too, awful character and awful storyline.
    I didn't really love the second season either. I felt it was an upgrade on the first season but still pretty underwhelming. I was hoping that things would pick up majorly in season 3 but 3 episodes in and I decided that I'd rather watch something else.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    I gave that a real go but it just seemed slow and a little too safe, slightly too gentle a comedy for me, likeable but no real cutting humour which I tend to like.
    That's fair enough. The reasons you cited for not liking it are the reasons I do like it It's very light and easy to watch. The first season was pretty poor but it does get better as it goes on.

I didn't really love the second season either. I felt it was an upgrade on the first season but still pretty underwhelming. I was hoping that things would pick up majorly in season 3 but 3 episodes in and I decided that I'd rather watch something else.

That's fair enough. The reasons you cited for not liking it are the reasons I do like it It's very light and easy to watch. The first season was pretty poor but it does get better as it goes on.
    Aye I got to season 2 and just switched off.

Makes sense though that, I'm not a light watch type of guy, love to be absorbed into something

My wife's the same though, likes a light easy watch

I loved Twin Peaks mate, its an incredible story and series with still standout imagination in its story

Truly unique though it was such a shame the murder reveal came too early in the show and Lynch walked out for a while where the standard of the series dropped for a while in season 2.

Can't wait for season 3, been waiting 25 years!

I also think to my taste Breaking Bad was wildly over rated, great for about 2 seasons, should have been quick fire an end in sight but went on too long and became a montage fest at times
    I didn't see it that way, I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't watched it, but I will put it this way the revelation was just a tip of the iceberg, much more followed, the murder investigation was not really that important compared to the bigger picture.

I can honestly say 'Twin Peaks' is the best thing I have ever watched, including films.

Three Girls

Incredible it's nearly 10 years since that happened.

Even more incredible it was allowed to happen for so long.

I'd have to disagree on Better Call Saul. I love it. Incredible TV. So well acted and written.

Watched Black Books through again. It gets funnier and funnier as it goes along. Fun show.

Err still working through Gurren Lagan. I like it but I get sleepy reading the subtitles.

I didn't see it that way, I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't watched it, but I will put it this way the revelation was just a tip of the iceberg, much more followed, the murder investigation was not really that important compared to the bigger picture.

I can honestly say 'Twin Peaks' is the best thing I have ever watched, including films.
    Yeah I can see that. But I think it lost...something when the murderer was revealed. It was still very good and a well-made show after but...it had such an incredibly tense and mysterious atmosphere before.

Anyone gonna be watching the return of Twin Peaks?
    YNWA

See what you mean but that much more to follow was all lined up anyway and could have run alongside the search which was racked with horrible eerie tension. Certainly the two producers Frost & Lynch remained unhappy with the early reveal, it was never planned or written that way and I think there was a serious drop off for a while as the tension was gone far too early in many senses before Lynch came back and the series re-found its direction.

Overall though I agree, one of the best things I've ever watched

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Anyone gonna be watching the return of Twin Peaks?
    I haven't got Atlantic

I've waited 20 plus years so can hang on a little longer

I haven't got Atlantic

I've waited 20 plus years so can hang on a little longer
    Yeah... Will be out to buy in no time.
    YNWA