Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 1969

Thread: Rate the last TV show you watched #2

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    I was sort of happy they missed out Tom Bombadil to be honest. He was just rather odd in the book, felt out of place. He could potentially do everything but just wandered around singing bad songs essentially and added little to the story.

Loved the films, did the whole extended versions too, some eye opening bits, including the bad **** they meet at the gates of Mordor....why they cut him out I'll never know
    I always Liked Tom Bombadilos (I've called him that since I was a kid and cant get past calling him by his proper name now ) bits in the books although I concede he doesn't do much to progress the story (past the next chapter and then plays no further part).

TBH - I know I have a lot of issues with the films but I am glad they were given the movie treatment. I also loved the cartoons in the 70s and watched them constantly to the point I can virtually recite it verbatim, with accents and inflections too.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Top of the Lake: China Girl is a detective mystery starring American actress, Elizabeth Moss, who plays an Australian detective who had a daughter that was given away at birth and who investigates a human trafficking ring. Her daughter, whom she tracks down and who was adopted by a woman played by Nicole Kidman, is in love with a scruffy and insolent older man involved in the human trafficking ring. The acting is superb, the directing and script are very good, and the action is fast-paced, with a psychological twist to the plot. I highly recommend this 6 part series.

Spartacus (on one of the versions of CH 5). Only been one epsiode. Looks quite good. Similar to gladiator in terms of story line. They do an animated version of blood being spattered during the fight sequences. Quite a lot of hot, naked women too. Decent fight sequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I always Liked Tom Bombadilos (I've called him that since I was a kid and cant get past calling him by his proper name now ) bits in the books although I concede he doesn't do much to progress the story (past the next chapter and then plays no further part).

TBH - I know I have a lot of issues with the films but I am glad they were given the movie treatment. I also loved the cartoons in the 70s and watched them constantly to the point I can virtually recite it verbatim, with accents and inflections too.
    Cartoons!? What are these mate?

I have the animated film they never finished which I loved as a kid! Is that it?

Much prefer Bombadilos by the way, gives him a cooler cuddly edge

I was sort of happy they missed out Tom Bombadil to be honest. He was just rather odd in the book, felt out of place. He could potentially do everything but just wandered around singing bad songs essentially and added little to the story.

Loved the films, did the whole extended versions too, some eye opening bits, including the bad **** they meet at the gates of Mordor....why they cut him out I'll never know
    I believe the whole Tom Bombadil section was no great loss as he added relatively little to the book in my view, so I agree with you there welshypool.

As for the actual films, I adored the extended versions (on Blu-ray of course).

You're right though, there were some amazing bits left 'on the cutting room floor' for the original releases. The only addition I objected to was a scene called 'Flotsam And Jetsam' which was just a tedious clip of Merry and Pippin gorging themselves on food and weed, a totally pointless scene in my opinion.

Apart from that though I thought the extended versions were utterly superb and added a great deal to the story, particularly the 'Faramir' section and the undead army scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Well the Hobbit was certainly a cash grab. Mind you, I didn't hate it, but it certainly wasn't as good as LOTR.
    Agreed. They totally tried to capitalise on the LOTR's success but it wasnt as good- in part because its not as good a story as tge LOTR's. The first two films are good though but the last film which is pretty much a complete fantasy (of the actual fantasy) didn't work at all for me. Far inferior to the last battle in lotr

I've at through the extended versions a good number of times. Return of the King is just flat out too long. It's the only movie of the three when the added content really takes something away from it. No movie needs a half hour ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Nah, I'm a massive Tolkein fan and thought it was great to get so much of the source material and part written works and it was beautifully shot, but as big a fan as I am, it was still a grind getting through them, especially at the cinema. There were a few bits that annoyed me too, like the ending that seemed to be going on for about an hour, the Deus Ex-Machina of the dead army, the amount of walking, the padding when they could have been more faithful to the books, anything to do with Legolas, Gimli, Merry and Pippin (handled wrongly for me or reduced to cringy comic relief), the jump from the shire to Prancing Pony (missing out the barrow and Tom Bombadillo), Frodo and Aragons change from book to film, The Elves etc etc. Theres probably lots more that would annoy me but I would be just being picky.
    Yeah - that kinda sucked. It kind of made all that went before in the battle a bit pointless. In fact, he could have kept them all the way to mordor

Watched the first episode of Sinner last night. Was impressed. Looks like it might be quite an interesting watch.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RaraFinXI View Post
    Watched the first episode of Sinner last night. Was impressed. Looks like it might be quite an interesting watch.
    Yeah, thought it was good too but seems the sort of show which might be a bit of a grind to watch. Introduced me to Big Black Delta too (the song playing...)

Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    I believe the whole Tom Bombadil section was no great loss as he added relatively little to the book in my view, so I agree with you there welshypool.

As for the actual films, I adored the extended versions (on Blu-ray of course).

You're right though, there were some amazing bits left 'on the cutting room floor' for the original releases. The only addition I objected to was a scene called 'Flotsam And Jetsam' which was just a tedious clip of Merry and Pippin gorging themselves on food and weed, a totally pointless scene in my opinion.

Apart from that though I thought the extended versions were utterly superb and added a great deal to the story, particularly the 'Faramir' section and the undead army scenes.
    Aye I really enjoyed those extra little gems, I think it was the start of the last film, with Saruman and Grima, that whole added scene was tops, stuck in my head that, plus as you say they added more depth to the army of the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    I've at through the extended versions a good number of times. Return of the King is just flat out too long. It's the only movie of the three when the added content really takes something away from it. No movie needs a half hour ending!
    The ending was over the top, plus you then have to endure that music for the end credits by that blonde haired chap with a lovely singing voice.

I think all in all though the extended scenes worked for me, really enjoyed the full versions

On another note, finally getting around to watching Westworld.

Only 2 episodes in but absolutely loving it, looks fantastic and love where its headed, proper other world to immerse myself in

Tonight's new episode of Red Dwarf is according to the Mail - the best since it was on BBC2.

Dave tonight (Thursday) 9pm

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Tonight's new episode of Red Dwarf is according to the Mail - the best since it was on BBC2.

Dave tonight (Thursday) 9pm
    I watched it, not bad at all. The series has been quite good I think

I watched it, not bad at all. The series has been quite good I think
    Isn't this the first showing?

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Isn't this the first showing?
    No you can watch it on Watch TV or whatever it is, on cable, I tivo'd the series but its availalbe to watch earlier

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by RaraFinXI View Post
    I've watched it all. It was a decent enough watch.

7/10 - Enjoying Apprentice this year - gave it a miss since Dara stopped doing "you're fired". Is it wrong i am finding Karen Brady attractive?

Just seen Clooney is filming an adaption of Catch-22 next year. Hoping its one of the good ones.

Is it paramount that I watch the other Marvel series, such as Daredevil and the Defenders on Netflix if I want to watch the Punisher?

Iíve not watched any of the Marvel series so far, but really like the look of the Punisher. I know itís a stand-alone series, but does it connect to the others to the point I have to have seen them?

Finished yet again the classic V I know the miniseries got criticised but grown up as a kid I loved it and still nice to watch it for the memories

Capricorn season 1 like the new modern Battlestar Galactica like a period drama. solve the little bit of the mystery in Battlestar Galactica ok at best

Got to Vikings season three enjoying pretty good

now if I forget there was Batman I wouldn't say the compare with arrow , again very period drama and slightly going away from the fighting

On season 3 now with arrow sticking with it

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    7/10 - Enjoying Apprentice this year - gave it a miss since Dara stopped doing "you're fired". Is it wrong i am finding Karen Brady attractive?
    Very.

Anyone watching Motherland? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoBaggio94 View Post
    Is it paramount that I watch the other Marvel series, such as Daredevil and the Defenders on Netflix if I want to watch the Punisher?

I’ve not watched any of the Marvel series so far, but really like the look of the Punisher. I know it’s a stand-alone series, but does it connect to the others to the point I have to have seen them?
    You get a little origin story of the Punisher in Daredevil season 2 if I remember correctly so it may be worth watching the first couple of episodes of that. If not then I don't think it'll be too problematic for you as I'm sure they'll go over his origin story again in his stand-alone series.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Very.
    Everyone is allowed their little kink.

Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    You get a little origin story of the Punisher in Daredevil season 2 if I remember correctly so it may be worth watching the first couple of episodes of that. If not then I don't think it'll be too problematic for you as I'm sure they'll go over his origin story again in his stand-alone series.
    Cheers. I tried to watch Daredevil, but before the first proper scene my wife said it wasnít drawing her in (yes, before it even got a chance to start, pain in the ****).

Iím watching the Punisher though, no ifís or butís about it.

I’ve not watched any of the Marvel series so far, but really like the look of the Punisher. I know it’s a stand-alone series, but does it connect to the others to the point I have to have seen them?
    There will probably be some recurring shows crossing over, but I don't think there will be too much problem with jumping straight into The Punisher.

Cheers. I tried to watch Daredevil, but before the first proper scene my wife said it wasn’t drawing her in (yes, before it even got a chance to start, pain in the ****).

I’m watching the Punisher though, no if’s or but’s about it.
    Haha that's fair enough I quite like daredevil granted I prefer season 1 to the second. Overall I'd say you aren't missing much though. I'm hoping the Punisher will be good because the recent Marvel Netflix series have been pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    Haha that's fair enough I quite like daredevil granted I prefer season 1 to the second. Overall I'd say you aren't missing much though. I'm hoping the Punisher will be good because the recent Marvel Netflix series have been pretty bad.
    I loved Punisher at first, but he got a little boring and tedious after a few episodes. I don't think they used him well at all, not enough Punisher rampages, and too many fist fights with Daredevil and ninjas. Hopefully the show is more true to the character, rather than a ****load of fight scenes.

First season was much better, glad to hear Kingpin will be in the third season much more.

Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Peaky Blinders Series 4. Blummin 'eck that first episode was something. Can't wait for the next one. Cillian Murphy is just magnetic.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    I loved Punisher at first, but he got a little boring and tedious after a few episodes. I don't think they used him well at all, not enough Punisher rampages, and too many fist fights with Daredevil and ninjas. Hopefully the show is more true to the character, rather than a ****load of fight scenes.

First season was much better, glad to hear Kingpin will be in the third season much more.
    Yeah I agree with you regarding the Punisher. As for Kingpin, I didn't know he'd be in season 3 so that is quite pleasing. I hope things pick up because I thought that both Ironfist and the Defenders were garbage.