Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last TV show you watched #2

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Stargate Atlantis 8/10 had seen a lot of the episodes previously, mainly on pick, and some more than once. Very good series, like this better than SG1 with Wraith the enemy, Replicators thrown in the mix, the Genii (not so much) and some good lead characters.

I've seen some reviews slating McKay (brilliant) and the replacement for Beckett (also very good) in Dr Keller played by Jewel Staite who was ok in Firefly and worked in that, but not so good and too many lines perhaps making her whiny voice annoying. Other characters were good, but after a while the plots become a bit repetitive which isn't atypical of sci-fi and long running series, and characters become a bit "yeah, that's me, that's what I do" if you get what I mean, almost like running through the motions and almost become a cliché of themselves.

Nonetheless it is clever and didn't last 100 episodes for no good reason. Always a bit too "instant miracle" from some of the characters, but perhaps would be less obvious if it were in the 80s when you didn't get boxsets so easily and had to wait a week not until the end of the current episode or 24 hours for the next....

In many ways I preferred the old days of less channels, you could look forward to films you hadn't seen before and some quality, not just the same old churned out over and over, including naff reality TV etc, and the saved Christmas until, well, Christmas, instead of dragging it on from the middle of November to who knows when......
    I liked it but 7/10 for me and not nearly as good as SG1 (8/10). I guess 'SG Universe' showed just how hard having another SG series is to make so Atlantis did well.

Lead characters - loved shepard but that might be because my gf at the time fancied him and built him up. Also the big guy Ronon! Think I preferred the episodes that had canon content incl. the renegade asgard. Not a fan of the replicator stuff - every since they became nano/human they became a bit boring
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    decent post, for me atlantis was a 7/10 as like you, i felt that it had become constrained and the writers were being quite formulaic in their plots.. some good characters and some not so good. i liked the idea, but i think some of the set up was too much like sg1 in its personnel and execution. pity. was fun while it lasted though.
    I am planning on a christmas B5 marathon! (excluding the flller crap of course). Looking forward to 'the long night on centauri?' already!

That geek part of me is waiting for the next SG1/ST/BSG thing that lasts a few series. The nearest equivalent is Expanse but a bit niche

kas74 is online now First team regular
    The Supervet.
    Once again I bawled my eyes out.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I'd agree with that. Biggest issue I had in not giving it a higher mark occurred to me when I saw a video laying out Delores' in timeline in order. Why do that over 10 seasons when a lot can be missed/forgotten? I don't mind it in a film because the experience is usually over and done with in under 2 hours.
    Huh? What is this issue? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Huh? What is this issue? I don't get it.
    Just got a bit confused what was taking place where and got a bit obsessed with things that probably won't matter, even after another watch. I don't get a lot of free time to just dedicate another 8 ish hours to watch it again.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    I am planning on a christmas B5 marathon! (excluding the flller crap of course). Looking forward to 'the long night on centauri?' already!

That geek part of me is waiting for the next SG1/ST/BSG thing that lasts a few series. The nearest equivalent is Expanse but a bit niche
    sounds like you meant the "Long Night of Londo Mollari" interesting episode that one. i loved "Severed Dreams" "Intersections in Real Time". the basic storyline intrigued me from the intro.. why on earth would a superior force surrender when the enemy are on thire knees.. intriguing. brilliant story telling from JMS> only wish he had gotten a bit longer between seasons 3 - 5 to end the story properly as some of it was rushed due to not knowing if they were renewed.

not got around to expanse yet, still on my to do list. ST is coming shortly next year with ST: Discovery. fingers crossed they don't follow the tried and trusted otherwise i can't see it going past a season or two.

SG: now theres an interesting one for sure. Dean Devlin? and Roland Emmeriach want to remake it from the start as a trilogy of films as it was originally planned. not so sure if thats a good thing or bad thing as both those guys tend to do spectacle rather than character..

Just got a bit confused what was taking place where and got a bit obsessed with things that probably won't matter, even after another watch. I don't get a lot of free time to just dedicate another 8 ish hours to watch it again.
    understand where your coming from on that but imo that is what has made it quite subtle how it was done rather than the in your face way most stories are told these days.

understand where your coming from on that but imo that is what has made it quite subtle how it was done rather than the in your face way most stories are told these days.
    I really don't mind if they did this and bulk released it on Netflix or Prime as I'd have been able to blast it in a couple of days and I wouldn't have to have waited 10 weeks with everything else I watch, family and work contriving to make me forget the subtle points.

I knew I should have stockpiled it but the first show was so good it hooked me.

I really don't mind if they did this and bulk released it on Netflix or Prime as I'd have been able to blast it in a couple of days and I wouldn't have to have waited 10 weeks with everything else I watch, family and work contriving to make me forget the subtle points.

I knew I should have stockpiled it but the first show was so good it hooked me.
    indeed, it is why i did

sounds like you meant the "Long Night of Londo Mollari" interesting episode that one. i loved "Severed Dreams" "Intersections in Real Time". the basic storyline intrigued me from the intro.. why on earth would a superior force surrender when the enemy are on thire knees.. intriguing. brilliant story telling from JMS> only wish he had gotten a bit longer between seasons 3 - 5 to end the story properly as some of it was rushed due to not knowing if they were renewed.

not got around to expanse yet, still on my to do list. ST is coming shortly next year with ST: Discovery. fingers crossed they don't follow the tried and trusted otherwise i can't see it going past a season or two.

SG: now theres an interesting one for sure. Dean Devlin? and Roland Emmeriach want to remake it from the start as a trilogy of films as it was originally planned. not so sure if thats a good thing or bad thing as both those guys tend to do spectacle rather than character..
    I heard ST was in doubt again - only cast michelle yeo (as a supporting captain). Hope they do a good job then run a few at the same time ala TNG/V/DS9.

Not sure how i feel about a SG trilogy - the original was so good with james spader as daniel jackson. Then that was overtaken by SG1 IMO, though i still dont buy the ending with the asgard.

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    I heard ST was in doubt again - only cast michelle yeo (as a supporting captain). Hope they do a good job then run a few at the same time ala TNG/V/DS9.

Not sure how i feel about a SG trilogy - the original was so good with james spader as daniel jackson. Then that was overtaken by SG1 IMO, though i still dont buy the ending with the asgard.
    ST s coming along, cast now includes some klingons and a girl from the walking dead as one of the lead characters. fair comment regarding SG think spader is a very under rated actor - just love his current role as red harrinton on the blacklist. only watch it to hear his anecdotes or monologues.

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by DFK6 View Post
    Power on Netflix worth a watch.
    Really enjoyed this. I got through all 3 seasons in under a week and just happened to get to the final episode when it first aired on Netflix.

Then had the feeling of **** a year to wait now after all that watching

The Man in the High Castle Season 2 was released recently, anyone got onto it yet?

TBH with the OA also being recently released it might have to take a back seat but I'll get onto it as soon as I've finished. One for the Christmas break.

Westworld Season 1 - 9/10

Strong narrative, performances, soundtrack, etc. I can't wait for Season 2.

The Man in the High Castle Season 2 was released recently, anyone got onto it yet?

TBH with the OA also being recently released it might have to take a back seat but I'll get onto it as soon as I've finished. One for the Christmas break.
    not cuaght up with it yet, enjoyed the last series though. be interesting how this season plays out - is there an end game to all this.

just noticed that might take a peek over weekend see what its about.

Gave Parks & Recreation a 3rd try and this time stuck with it. Absolutely hilarious! Ron Swanson is probably my all time favorite TV character. Can see why it was stopped though. 8/10

just noticed that might take a peek over weekend see what its about.
    I'm about 4 or 5 episodes in and its not what I expected it to be from the limited blurb I read. Still, its keeping my attention. 7.5/10 at the moment because it is gripping.

Quote Originally Posted by StiflerLFC View Post
    Gave Parks & Recreation a 3rd try and this time stuck with it. Absolutely hilarious! Ron Swanson is probably my all time favorite TV character. Can see why it was stopped though. 8/10
    The key to P&R is pushing through the first season, when they tried too hard to be a clone of The Office. After that, it's outstanding.

Some other shows I've watched recently.

Stranger Things - 11/10
    Narcos - 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    The key to P&R is pushing through the first season, when they tried too hard to be a clone of The Office. After that, it's outstanding.

Stranger Things - 11/10
    Narcos - 8/10
    No wonder I never liked it while everyone else heaped praise. I might take another punt on it in that case.

No wonder I never liked it while everyone else heaped praise. I might take another punt on it in that case.
    I had the same experience, but getting to the second season is crucial.

I had the same experience, but getting to the second season is crucial.
    Absolutely perfect explanation. They do try very hard to be similar to the office. Did lose a bit the last couple seasons as well

P&R is amazing honestly. Like the Office (US), it had a pretty poor short first season but picks up majorly after that. It's worth watching just to witness the greatness of Jean-Ralphio

Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    P&R is amazing honestly. Like the Office (US), it had a pretty poor short first season but picks up majorly after that. It's worth watching just to witness the greatness of Jean-Ralphio
    Have you ever seen Jean-Ralphio and Adam Lallana in the same room? That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    You would think that a thread as simple as this wouldn't have the petty bickering of more controversial threads but no, here we are.

I'll ask once, pack it in.
    Well..this is like me at the moon.

Going back to earth.

((Slip away and Disappear before the aliens spot me)))

Stranger Things - 11/10
    Narcos - 8/10
    11 for 'Stranger things' ey? Will definitely check it out now

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    11 for 'Stranger things' ey? Will definitely check it out now
    You'll get it when you start watching, but yes it was incredible. Girlfriend and I watched the whole season in one sitting.

The Exorcist (Gina Davis series) - good watch - 7/10 for me

Have you ever seen Jean-Ralphio and Adam Lallana in the same room? That's what I thought.
    Ha fair point

sci-fi cheapy called Van Helsing.

was dubious at first but gave it a binge watch. typical scify using a shoestring budget but its quite a decent character piece. it was only last episode that van helsing actually comes up and it seems to me there are still a hell of a lot of threads left hanging at the end of the first season [already picked up for its second] with very few actual answers given so far.

its not an action piece in your face type of show at all, which surprised me a bit, but more a very slow burn and story driven with main players of the ensemble getting a decent background over the entire season, bit by bit.. think it will be interesting to see how this all joins up next season.

7/10