Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last TV show you watched #2

How can anyone not completely love Sherlock.

I'm rewatching the whole series again. It's still fantastic.

Looking forward to watching the new season.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post

Its great. You seen the 1st one of the new set

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    The Exorcist (Gina Davis series) - good watch - 7/10 for me
    Just watched the last 4 episodes of this last night, having been saving them up. Hadn't intended on watching all 4, but having watched episode 8, I just had to get 9 and 10 in as well. The final 3 episodes really kicked on, and the final 2 in particular were thrilling, I thought. Ben Davies and Alfonso Herrera have been great throughout, but Geena Davis absolutely stole it in the last few episodes - she was really top of her game.

Its left wide open for a season 2, and I'm hoping they get one. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I tried it, watched a couple of them. I thought it was a bit too, I don't know the word but, one of those shows that tries to tread the line between clever and funny, and kind of does neither? I don't know if I explained that well, but I guess it is just not my taste anyway.

Approaching the final season of The Wire myself, I must say I do love it. Nowhere near The Soprano's quality wise (like some people told me it would be) but still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by DidiDidIt View Post
    I tried it, watched a couple of them. I thought it was a bit too, I don't know the word but, one of those shows that tries to tread the line between clever and funny, and kind of does neither? I don't know if I explained that well, but I guess it is just not my taste anyway.
    It is entirely possible not to be "in love" with a series, the modern style TV series does it easily a lot of the time. Can't stick Cumberbatch, and BBC dramas have zero appeal to me either. The BBC has managed to destroy Doctor Who and all kinds of things, doing nearly as good a job as Wollywood on that score.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer 8.5/10 so many good characters, tainted a little if you regard the ridiculousness of quite a lot of the martial arts fights. Loses a half point for "Once More With Feeling", the songs are ok but the yank obsession with slotting in a musical in a TV series and the poor plot make it for an out of place waste of space.

I could be very critical of some of the more farcical aspects, like how Buffy struggles to kill the first Ubervamp then civilians/non slayers end killing them without even staking them in the heart (see Anya wild swinging at midriff height that dusts one) and of course the vampires aversion to sunlight lessened by Spike just taking a blanket around town during the day!

Still cracking stuff though, don't make 'em like they used to and they do fire this kind of thing out 10 a penny and that's about what they're worth!

Due South 9/10 brilliant, running out of time to do an extensive review but apart from some episodes that are a bit weak it is overall brilliant. Tainted a bit by the switch of his cop pal from Ray to Stanley/Ray, and some of the Franny scenes beggar belief, but overall apart from some of the farce surrounding his dead dad, brilliant.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Not sure how many of you liked Battlestar Galactica but I thought it was hands down the best sci-fi series I've seen, if not for all genres.

Anyway, saw a bit of talk over the last few months about a show called The Expanse on ScyFy, it finished its first season early last year. Have now watched the first couple of episodes and it looks great. Battlestar comparisons are a way off, but the world the have created is amazing and surprisingly relatable.

Any sci-fi nerds, check it out.

Each to their own I guess.
    I think Sherlock is by far the best thing on TV. Couldn't wait for the new years day one and was not disappointed. Still shocked by the ending and looking forward to this Sunday's episode.

Watched some of "Chance" over the weekend (should be finished tonight), Hugh Laurie is picking up some cracking roles at the moment and this is looking on par with the Night Manager at the moment for how much I'm enjoying his role.

8/10 so far
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Family member bought me 'Parks & Recreation' box set thing for Xmas.

Never seen it before....... but unlikely to carry on watching it!

6 episodes through, first series completed, really safe and boring comedy and pass the time stuff.

4 out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Family member bought me 'Parks & Recreation' box set thing for Xmas.

Never seen it before....... but unlikely to carry on watching it!

6 episodes through, first series completed, really safe and boring comedy and pass the time stuff.

4 out of 10
    The 1st season is crap TBH. If you stick with it the show does get a whole lot better from season 2 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDreamer View Post
    The 1st season is crap TBH. If you stick with it the show does get a whole lot better from season 2 onwards.
    Yes I've heard that, how much better would you say and what makes it better?

I like my comedy a bit edgy and cutting (and normally British), this seems all very gentle, like a meek Extras without the comedy

Rewatching The Wire at the moment. Nothing else comes even remotely close to how brilliant and thought-provoking it is. David Simon is a genius

Yes I've heard that, how much better would you say and what makes it better?

I like my comedy a bit edgy and cutting (and normally British), this seems all very gentle, like a meek Extras without the comedy
    It's been a while since I watched but from what I remember the overall writing of episodes were much better and the characters were much more better developed as well.

I'd say give a few episodes of season 2 a go and you should hopefully enjoy it a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bifters View Post
    Rewatching The Wire at the moment. Nothing else comes even remotely close to how brilliant and thought-provoking it is. David Simon is a genius
    Never seen that nor the Sopranos

Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    Never seen that nor the Sopranos
    Both are highly recommended mate. Probably my top two all-time shows.

Both are highly recommended mate. Probably my top two all-time shows.
    I defo need to give them a shot then. I just tend to dislike the big shows that everyone loves ala Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones

I defo need to give them a shot then. I just tend to dislike the big shows that everyone loves ala Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones
    WD, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are a bit "love em or hate em" I guess. Probably the same with anything really, but definitely try and give Sopranos and The Wire a shot. No harm done if you dont like them, but there's a reason why they usually end up as numbers 1 and 2 on "greatest TV shows" lists. Both absolute works of art in my view.

Both are excellent. The Wire is truly fantastic television.

But then I think much the same of the other three you mentioned here.

WD, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are a bit "love em or hate em" I guess. Probably the same with anything really, but definitely try and give Sopranos and The Wire a shot. No harm done if you dont like them, but there's a reason why they usually end up as numbers 1 and 2 on "greatest TV shows" lists. Both absolute works of art in my view.
    I started to reply to this but then rambled a lot about the wire, then deleted it all again when I realised it had all been said before.

It's a show you need to commit to early though, I'll say that at least. It's genuinely genius writing and viewing.

Didn't know what to expect with Westworld obviously having watched the original I knew where it was going, but really enjoyed it.
    I managed to stay away from it week to week and just binged watched all 10.

I'm excited where this show can go with so many different types of parks or even combined.

Love Thandie Newton and Anthony Hopkins.

I just got bored of the 3 mentioned. Kinda hit a wall with them. WD just recycled kill a zombie find a safe place and repeat. BB just got rubbish and Game of no one can act. I'd just watch it and think do i really wanna watch the next episode.

I'll start one of The Wire or Sopranos tomo for a hit over the weekend

Pretty soon I will be finished The Wire, anyone any suggestions as to where to go next?

To give some context, my fav shows :

The Sopranos
    The Wire (not finished yet but I think it will be my 2nd fav show albeit miles behind Sopranos)
    Homeland
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Not sure how many of you liked Battlestar Galactica but I thought it was hands down the best sci-fi series I've seen, if not for all genres.

Anyway, saw a bit of talk over the last few months about a show called The Expanse on ScyFy, it finished its first season early last year. Have now watched the first couple of episodes and it looks great. Battlestar comparisons are a way off, but the world the have created is amazing and surprisingly relatable.

Any sci-fi nerds, check it out.
    I loved Battlestar although it did get a bit convoluted by the end. Still, a solid 8/10 for me and I still revisit it on DVD every now and again.

Expanse has been talked about a few times on here (its on Netflix right now in the UK), I watched it without reading the books and, again, I loved it. I've since read all the books and have the newest one on my Kindle as my next read. BTW The second season is due to drop 1st Feb, so I'll be all over that like a rash. A lightly better than solid 8.5/10 for me.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Pretty soon I will be finished The Wire, anyone any suggestions as to where to go next?

To give some context, my fav shows :

The Sopranos
    The Wire (not finished yet but I think it will be my 2nd fav show albeit miles behind Sopranos)
    Homeland
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Cracker
    Try Fargo Didi, might like that

Series 1 is incredible

Not as culturally hyped as those you mention but for me it was superior to some of that lot, absolutely gripping and ends when it should, no messing around.

For an old classic with new series due to arrive this year, still love Twin Peaks, the daddy and spooky as **** despite a dodgy few episodes and drop off

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I loved Battlestar although it did get a bit convoluted by the end. Still, a solid 8/10 for me and I still revisit it on DVD every now and again.

Expanse has been talked about a few times on here (its on Netflix right now in the UK), I watched it without reading the books and, again, I loved it. I've since read all the books and have the newest one on my Kindle as my next read. BTW The second season is due to drop 1st Feb, so I'll be all over that like a rash. A lightly better than solid 8.5/10 for me.
    Yeah BSG was great until the ending and last season. Final five. Still not quite sure what it was all about.

They took a risk changing Starbuck's gender and its credit to Katie that she pulled it off.

Started latest Expanse book and problem is I can barely remember all the different things going on from the last book!

Quote Originally Posted by God'sLeftFoot View Post
    Just watched the last 4 episodes of this last night, having been saving them up. Hadn't intended on watching all 4, but having watched episode 8, I just had to get 9 and 10 in as well. The final 3 episodes really kicked on, and the final 2 in particular were thrilling, I thought. Ben Davies and Alfonso Herrera have been great throughout, but Geena Davis absolutely stole it in the last few episodes - she was really top of her game.

Its left wide open for a season 2, and I'm hoping they get one. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Geena showed why she was once A-list. Got a bit distracted by her cosmetic work though..!

I really liked when they went into the mythology of Angels/Demons/God etc etc

Try Fargo Didi, might like that

Series 1 is incredible

Not as culturally hyped as those you mention but for me it was superior to some of that lot, absolutely gripping and ends when it should, no messing around.

For an old classic with new series due to arrive this year, still love Twin Peaks, the daddy and spooky as **** despite a dodgy few episodes and drop off
    Dang you are right, I have watched both seasons of Fargo. Season 1 is amazing! (I totally forgot to list it here)
    Last edited by DidiDidIt; 4-1-17 at 15:37.

Dang you are right, I have watched both seasons of Fargo. Season 1 is amazing! (I totally forgot to list it here)
    Aye, I might watch season 1 again, really struck a chord that one, brilliant in the true sense of the word.

Aye, I might watch season 1 again, really struck a chord that one, brilliant in the true sense of the word.
    It was superb. There is a big pull to listen to the Minnesota accent I find, like it adds a lot to the show. Did you find that too? Kinda made it quirky I think.

Finally just finished Dexter! I watched the first season about a year ago and absolutely loved it, but struggled to get into the second and gave up. Gave it another go and am glad that I did, although it wasn't without it's flaws.

The fourth season was awesome, John Lithgow was immense and unnerving. I thought Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter were superb throughout (as were the majority of the main cast).

For me, the series on a whole was dragged out unnecessarily though and the final episode in particular was pretty poor. I also really do hope that the show isn't brought back. It didn't end on a high, in my opinion and they'd be flogging a dead horse.

I'd give it a 7/10. There are 2 or 3 brilliant seasons, a few average ones and a couple of duds. I'd like to revisit the first season at some point down the line, because that was exceptionally done and had a big impact.