Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
Results 1,261 to 1,283 of 1283

Thread: Rate the last TV show you watched #2

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath on an explanation. At its heart the show has always been about a group of everyday people reacting to an unexplainable event, not the science behind the event itself (if it was the show would be set in DC or something with a bunch of officials). The storyline is whether this ****** up group of people can find peace in the new world.

Thats how I read it anyway, while its from the same writers as Lost I think they learned the lesson of trying to explain every last detail and make sense of it all.
    That would be fair enough if it was just about the people reacting to the 'departure' but loads of other weird **** has been going on, I'd like some answers to that. I don't think shows should get away with just throwing in lots of cool, but random stuff and not explain it. Lost would have been amazing had they answered even half the impossible scenarios they included, but in the end it was awful and a massive cop out.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    SEASON 2 SPOILERS:

I'm still pretty clueless at the end of season 2, they keep saying stuff like 'you understand' and making a big deal of it, and I have no idea what is going on (Maybe someone can fill me in on that one?). I get the feeling there won't be proper answers by the end of the show, one of those 'it's about the journey, not the destination' type shows.
    SPOILERS:

I thought the GR stuff was explained well enough. Patti does it. They believe the departure was the end of the world and they dont want people to forget it. For them, other people trying to move on is a huge disrespect to those who left.

Like I said, the details dont really matter because the show isn't about the GR, its about a family's life and how the GR affected it. You do learn a bit more in Season 3 but they become a very minor player, as the family moves on from them they are no longer relevant to the story, although they obviously exist in the world as they always had.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath on an explanation. At its heart the show has always been about a group of everyday people reacting to an unexplainable event, not the science behind the event itself (if it was the show would be set in DC or something with a bunch of officials). The storyline is whether this ****** up group of people can find peace in the new world.

Thats how I read it anyway, while its from the same writers as Lost I think they learned the lesson of trying to explain every last detail and make sense of it all.
    Yeh I can understand that, but that doesn't give an excuse to introduce a bunch of totally unexplainable events and sequences that are never answered, IMO anyway. Everything should be plausible, within the world they've created of course, otherwise it just becomes a mess, as Lost did. They don't have to explain every last detail, but there should at least be some reasoning behind everything (in the writer's heads at the very least).

That would be fair enough if it was just about the people reacting to the 'departure' but loads of other weird **** has been going on, I'd like some answers to that. I don't think shows should get away with just throwing in lots of cool, but random stuff and not explain it. Lost would have been amazing had they answered even half the impossible scenarios they included, but in the end it was awful and a massive cop out.
    Yeh, exactly this. I'm only on episode 2 and I already feel it's heading down that path.

Wayward Pines Spoiler

I think to be fair it is like any show with a supernatural element. You are interested in what is happening to people after the event.. I don't know if any of you watched Wayward Pines but that was a good show with all the mystery and disappearances but then at the precise moment they unleashed on the viewer a stupid underground control bunker I lost interest.

The Leftovers has a lot of strange moments and they don't need to all be explained in minute detail. However, some kind of thread should be there..

Quote Originally Posted by kenyanstar View Post
    Wayward Pines Spoiler

I think to be fair it is like any show with a supernatural element. You are interested in what is happening to people after the event.. I don't know if any of you watched Wayward Pines but that was a good show with all the mystery and disappearances but then at the precise moment they unleashed on the viewer a stupid underground control bunker I lost interest.

The Leftovers has a lot of strange moments and they don't need to all be explained in minute detail. However, some kind of thread should be there..
    There needs to be some reasoning behind what's going on, I think it's incredibly cheap and lazy to throw in a lot of weird events, with no explanation. It killed Lost, and although The Leftovers is nowhere near as bad, I'll be disappointed if nothing is even half explained by the end.

Wayward Pines was awful I lasted until the daft twist about them being 100 years in the future or whatever it was.

The thirteenth doctor will be revealed after the Wimbledon men's final.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCOne/st...039553/video/1

just started season 2 of the Expanse, looks even better than the first. Massive increase in the SFX budget as well it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    just started season 2 of the Expanse, looks even better than the first. Massive increase in the SFX budget as well it seems.
    Some bits still bug me in how they are glossing over certain sections of the books (I'll not go into details just in case it gets spoilery) but it is still good. They look to be integrating stuff from future books that wasn't including in the source books, which flows a bit better in the narrative than the books did.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

There needs to be some reasoning behind what's going on, I think it's incredibly cheap and lazy to throw in a lot of weird events, with no explanation. It killed Lost, and although The Leftovers is nowhere near as bad, I'll be disappointed if nothing is even half explained by the end.

Wayward Pines was awful I lasted until the daft twist about them being 100 years in the future or whatever it was.
    Its another one of those prose written shows which crawls up its own **** and descends into **** because they confused themselves...then try to blag it off

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Its another one of those prose written shows which crawls up its own **** and descends into **** because they confused themselves...then try to blag it off
    I hate shows (and films) which throw out many questions, don't answer them, then leave the viewer to come up with their own answers and try to pass it off as ambiguous. No, that's not how it works, you're the one telling the story, not me. Finish it.

I hate shows (and films) which throw out many questions, don't answer them, then leave the viewer to come up with their own answers and try to pass it off as ambiguous. No, that's not how it works, you're the one telling the story, not me. Finish it.
    Yep, the whole point of prose writing for me is the characters can write themselves almost and change the dynamics of the story line, because their character demands it. But with these shows/films they don;t have a story line in terms of an end or a clue where its going....hoping they can find one or as you say pass it off as ambiguous

Its hard work writing this stuff but you can just tell sometimes they never had clue where it was going from the off

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Some bits still bug me in how they are glossing over certain sections of the books (I'll not go into details just in case it gets spoilery) but it is still good. They look to be integrating stuff from future books that wasn't including in the source books, which flows a bit better in the narrative than the books did.
    never read the books so it didn't seem like that to me, but overall the second season was outstanding, and the casting equally excellent. Shohreh Aghdashloo blows everything out of the water, love it when she decided to cut people off when they start talking ********

Can't wait for s3. more people need to see this because it is every bit as good as any Scifi I have seen on TV, including BSG 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    SHAME..SHAME..SHAME....SHAME ON YOU..

for not showing this arse shaker from the 70`S any respect ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8DrfjqiYrY

People have their opinions however when someone says that The Expanse is one of the best sci-fi shows ever and up there with BSG I have to say no.. Granted, I only watched the first season but the acting was very wooden. I still enjoyed watching it but the scenes with the female president or whoever she is were really crappy and reminded me of TV shows from the 70s and 80s in a bad way!
    Last edited by kenyanstar; Yesterday at 03:54.

never read the books so it didn't seem like that to me, but overall the second season was outstanding, and the casting equally excellent. Shohreh Aghdashloo blows everything out of the water, love it when she decided to cut people off when they start talking ********

Can't wait for s3. more people need to see this because it is every bit as good as any Scifi I have seen on TV, including BSG 10/10
    People have their opinions however when someone says that The Expanse is one of the best sci-fi shows ever and up there with BSG I have to say no.. Granted, I only watched the first season but the acting was very wooden. I still enjoyed watching it but the scenes with the female president or whoever she is were really crappy and reminded me of TV shows from the 70s and 80s in a bad way!
    Well, talk about views from both extremes of the spectrum.

It took me a while to get into and I read all the books shortly after watching the first season so that's indicative of a cracking show in my book. The belter patois was well done, the space section were suitably claustrophobic/agoraphobic and some of the acting was spot on in hindsight. If you like space sci-fi you should be all over this, if you don't, theres still something there for the casual watcher. Overall I'd give this an 8.5 after a recent re-watch.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

I see where you are coming from. I've only seen the first season and at this point it is nowhere near BSG, B5 etc. But, it is good and one of the only shows like it. With a bigger budget it could be great. Thats said, I read the books so I might be filling in story subconsciously and enjoying a different experience.

On the old Indian woman character - we didn't see too much of her in season 1, but in the books she is fantastic! Outside the stereotype of an indian granny, sharp and hilarious. For me the best character created in the story.

season 2 is a massive step up on the first

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    I see where you are coming from. I've only seen the first season and at this point it is nowhere near BSG, B5 etc. But, it is good and one of the only shows like it. With a bigger budget it could be great. Thats said, I read the books so I might be filling in story subconsciously and enjoying a different experience.

On the old Indian woman character - we didn't see too much of her in season 1, but in the books she is fantastic! Outside the stereotype of an indian granny, sharp and hilarious. For me the best character created in the story.
    shut the **** up!

American Gods. WTF.

BSG is quite easily one of my favourite shows of all time. I can even get passed the Starbuck nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    BSG is quite easily one of my favourite shows of all time. I can even get passed the Starbuck nonsense.
    love that show, felt really let down by Caprica, can't even remember the plot it was that bad.

shut the **** up!

"Realizing you have **** on your fingers is the first step to washing your hands." - Avasarala