Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 357

Thread: Anyone For Tennis?

  1. #301  
    Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    30,908
    Is that Fed's greatest ever Wimbledon?

    What an incredible year he has had...

    After last Wimbledon no one would have predicted it. Simply the best. Number 19!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #302  
    White Star Line is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,079
    Federer is just pure class.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #303  
    White Star Line is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,079
    Jamie Murray and Martina Hingis win the mixed doubles.

    4th GS for Murray. 23rd for Hingis.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #304  
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,634
    Cillic was seen crying in the final, frustrated by injury, not being able to give his best in the grand final, one of the biggest moments of his life.

    The injury? Wait for it.... A blister on his foot.

    Unbelievable.
    We won't conquer the world, just the ball, every ******* time.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #305  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,112
    Quote Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post
    Cillic was seen crying in the final, frustrated by injury, not being able to give his best in the grand final, one of the biggest moments of his life.

    The injury? Wait for it.... A blister on his foot.

    Unbelievable.
    ****.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #306  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,343
    What can you say about Federer that hasn't already been said, I can only add that he's a tennis genius and even that's been proffered before many times. To reach eight Wimbledon titles is simply magnificent, his nineteenth Grand Slam trophy in all. Absolutely brilliant.

    Sadly he never really needed to excel today because Cilic was so poor virtually throughout. Roger won this at a canter, having not lost a set during the entire tournament he never looked likely to here. Marin had one fleeting break point early on and that was it - Federer was able to cruise through nearly all of his service games with ease. He still had to play well enough to finish off the opportunities of course, but he was never stretched in any material way. It was as comfortable a win in a Wimbledon final as one could hope for.

    Overall though it doesn't change the simple fact that Federer has done something no other player in history has ever done, that is to win eight titles at SW19. Despite the actual match being something of a let down, this was probably one of those moments in tennis history where people will remember where they were when he won it, because the man deserves all the inevitable praise he's going to get. I'm pleased I was able to watch the great man claim his record-breaking trophy, and who knows, maybe he fancies another one next year at the sprightly age of 36-going-on-37.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #307  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolforme View Post
    Is that Fed's greatest ever Wimbledon?

    What an incredible year he has had...

    After last Wimbledon no one would have predicted it. Simply the best. Number 19!
    I wouldn't go that far, his closest competition fell by the wayside before they even got to him and he ended up playing a 2nd rate (by comparison) player with injuries of his own. This was virtually given to him. He's had better, harder fought finals where he has prevailed.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #308  
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,408
    Looks like Konta is going to make an early exit from the US Open 1st round defeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #309  
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,408
    Lol Konta out in 1st round to rank outsider.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #310  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by phuzz View Post
    Lol Konta out in 1st round to rank outsider.
    That's the hype surrounding her gone for the rest of the year, possibly until Wimbledon next year.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #311  
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,873
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    That's the hype surrounding her gone for the rest of the year, possibly until Wimbledon next year.
    Plastic Brit.
    Along with Robson, Bedene and Edmund.
    Take out the Murrays and Heather Watson and there ain't much left. I dont think any of them came through the LTA either.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #312  
    White Star Line is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,079
    Kyrgios out, thank goodness.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #313  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    Plastic Brit.
    Along with Robson, Bedene and Edmund.
    Take out the Murrays and Heather Watson and there ain't much left. I dont think any of them came through the LTA either.
    Heather Watson is also overrated. She isn't much better then Edmund. She was 14 wins and 18 losses this year. Robson was decent until she was out for a while now she looks finished. Bedene and Edmund are average at best with Edmund maybe slightly more capable of a win.

    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Kyrgios out, thank goodness.
    Poor defeat, don't think he will ever be a top player.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #314  
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,873
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    Heather Watson is also overrated. She isn't much better then Edmund. She was 14 wins and 18 losses this year. Robson was decent until she was out for a while now she looks finished. Bedene and Edmund are average at best with Edmund maybe slightly more capable of a win.



    Poor defeat, don't think he will ever be a top player.
    Heather Watson is as good as she is going to get.
    Laura Robson is past her best already, she's just too slow around the court and sprays her shots all over the place.
    As regards Kyrgios, he's all hype. There seems to be a problem with Aussie tennis players. Wasnt it Tomic who got knocked out of Wimbledon early then was slaughtered for saying that he couldnt be bothered in a post-match interview?.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #315  
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,408
    Don't think Federer will win this tournament, just play 2 five setters with a bad back at his age.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #316  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by phuzz View Post
    Don't think Federer will win this tournament, just play 2 five setters with a bad back at his age.
    It could warm him up to breeze through the next rounds.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #317  
    White Star Line is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,079
    Watson should focus on doubles. She's got no chance in singles. Robson is a dead loss.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #318  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Watson should focus on doubles. She's got no chance in singles. Robson is a dead loss.
    Agreed but only reason they get so much press is because where they are from. They are both nothing special and average at best and when talking about tennis, never mind women's tennis they shouldn't even be mentioned.

    Edmund now out, retired against teenage rising star Shapovalov 2 sets to 1 down.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #319  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,490
    Into the men's QF now, Nadal faces unseeded Rublev of Russia and when he more then likely beats him, he faces the winner of a mouthwatering match between Federer and Del Potro, who is seeded 24th and on the way back up.

    Onto the bottom half, Querrey faces South African Kevin Anderson in what will be a big hitting match, while Pablo Carreno Busta awaits them in the semi final. Pablo Carreno Busta hadn't been past the third round and his best result at a grand slam was a QF place in the French Open this season.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #320  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,343
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    Into the men's QF now, Nadal faces unseeded Rublev of Russia and when he more then likely beats him, he faces the winner of a mouthwatering match between Federer and Del Potro, who is seeded 24th and on the way back up.

    Onto the bottom half, Querrey faces South African Kevin Anderson in what will be a big hitting match, while Pablo Carreno Busta awaits them in the semi final. Pablo Carreno Busta hadn't been past the third round and his best result at a grand slam was a QF place in the French Open this season.
    I can't wait for the Federer vs. Del Potro match, it could be amazing. Oh and you're probably right about Nadal getting through comfortably *Wolfy*.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #321  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,343
    Sadly for Federer fans he lost in four sets to Del Potro last night. It was a tense battle but surprisingly Roger's usually-sound serve eluded him at some critical moments.

    Del Potro now faces an epic battle with World number one Nadal in the next round - that could be another classic. I'm certainly looking forward to it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #322  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    Sadly for Federer fans he lost in four sets to Del Potro last night. It was a tense battle but surprisingly Roger's usually-sound serve eluded him at some critical moments.

    Del Potro now faces an epic battle with World number one Nadal in the next round - that could be another classic. I'm certainly looking forward to it.
    Federer didn't look comfortable, I think he pushed himself too much this season even with the breaks he had, age is catching up with him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #323  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,343
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    Federer didn't look comfortable, I think he pushed himself too much this season even with the breaks he had, age is catching up with him.
    You could be right there *Wolfy*, Federer was certainly nowhere near his best form was he. Perhaps his age is starting to tell, but I think he's still got something left in the tank, so I'm going to keep faith with the guy for a while yet.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #324  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    You could be right there *Wolfy*, Federer was certainly nowhere near his best form was he. Perhaps his age is starting to tell, but I think he's still got something left in the tank, so I'm going to keep faith with the guy for a while yet.
    Might have one more Wimbledon in him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #325  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,343
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    Might have one more Wimbledon in him.
    Perhaps he has, and it's certainly not going to get any easier that's for sure *Wolfy*. I'd love to see him claim another Wimbledon title though. At his age it would be remarkable.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #326  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    Perhaps he has, and it's certainly not going to get any easier that's for sure *Wolfy*. I'd love to see him claim another Wimbledon title though. At his age it would be remarkable.
    Ken Rosewall won the 1972 Australian Open at 37 years and 63 days old, could Federer surpass that, in your opinion?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #327  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,343
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    Ken Rosewall won the 1972 Australian Open at 37 years and 63 days old, could Federer surpass that, in your opinion?
    With the depth of quality in the men's game these days I think it's unlikely, because he'd need to compete in the next two Wimbledons to do it, since I don't think he'll be old enough to beat it next year (36-going-on-37).

    Having said that, with the efficient way he moves and plays and how fit he remains, if anyone could achieve it I'd bet on Federer. Still very much a long shot though *Wolfy*, don't you agree?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #328  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    With the depth of quality in the men's game these days I think it's unlikely, because he'd need to compete in the next two Wimbledons to do it, since I don't think he'll be old enough to beat it next year (36-going-on-37).

    Having said that, with the efficient way he moves and plays and how fit he remains, if anyone could achieve it I'd bet on Federer. Still very much a long shot though *Wolfy*, don't you agree?
    Ya I don't think he has 2 years in him

    Nadal nearly 2 sets up in the US open final against Kevin Anderson.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #329  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,343
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    Ya I don't think he has 2 years in him

    Nadal nearly 2 sets up in the US open final against Kevin Anderson.
    I somehow forgot about the final!

    Anyway, before I go, I thought Nadal would cruise this one - Kev just can't really hurt him in normal play and would have to rely strongly upon his serve.

    Still it looks like Grand Slam number 16 for Rafa!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #330  
    White Star Line is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,079
    Another double doubles for Hingis.

    25 Grand slams now. One more for Jamie Murray too.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •