Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Anyone For Tennis?

Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    Is that Fed's greatest ever Wimbledon?

What an incredible year he has had...

After last Wimbledon no one would have predicted it. Simply the best. Number 19!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

White Star Line is offline Academy prospect
    Federer is just pure class.

Jamie Murray and Martina Hingis win the mixed doubles.

4th GS for Murray. 23rd for Hingis.

Cillic was seen crying in the final, frustrated by injury, not being able to give his best in the grand final, one of the biggest moments of his life.

The injury? Wait for it.... A blister on his foot.

Unbelievable.
    We won't conquer the world, just the ball, every ******* time.

Quote Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post
    Cillic was seen crying in the final, frustrated by injury, not being able to give his best in the grand final, one of the biggest moments of his life.

The injury? Wait for it.... A blister on his foot.

Unbelievable.

What can you say about Federer that hasn't already been said, I can only add that he's a tennis genius and even that's been proffered before many times. To reach eight Wimbledon titles is simply magnificent, his nineteenth Grand Slam trophy in all. Absolutely brilliant.

Sadly he never really needed to excel today because Cilic was so poor virtually throughout. Roger won this at a canter, having not lost a set during the entire tournament he never looked likely to here. Marin had one fleeting break point early on and that was it - Federer was able to cruise through nearly all of his service games with ease. He still had to play well enough to finish off the opportunities of course, but he was never stretched in any material way. It was as comfortable a win in a Wimbledon final as one could hope for.

Overall though it doesn't change the simple fact that Federer has done something no other player in history has ever done, that is to win eight titles at SW19. Despite the actual match being something of a let down, this was probably one of those moments in tennis history where people will remember where they were when he won it, because the man deserves all the inevitable praise he's going to get. I'm pleased I was able to watch the great man claim his record-breaking trophy, and who knows, maybe he fancies another one next year at the sprightly age of 36-going-on-37.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolforme View Post
    Is that Fed's greatest ever Wimbledon?

What an incredible year he has had...

After last Wimbledon no one would have predicted it. Simply the best. Number 19!
    I wouldn't go that far, his closest competition fell by the wayside before they even got to him and he ended up playing a 2nd rate (by comparison) player with injuries of his own. This was virtually given to him. He's had better, harder fought finals where he has prevailed.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Looks like Konta is going to make an early exit from the US Open 1st round defeat.

Lol Konta out in 1st round to rank outsider.

*Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Quote Originally Posted by phuzz View Post
    Lol Konta out in 1st round to rank outsider.
    That's the hype surrounding her gone for the rest of the year, possibly until Wimbledon next year.

Quote Originally Posted by *Wolfy* View Post
    That's the hype surrounding her gone for the rest of the year, possibly until Wimbledon next year.
    Plastic Brit.
    Along with Robson, Bedene and Edmund.
    Take out the Murrays and Heather Watson and there ain't much left. I dont think any of them came through the LTA either.

Kyrgios out, thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    Plastic Brit.
    Along with Robson, Bedene and Edmund.
    Take out the Murrays and Heather Watson and there ain't much left. I dont think any of them came through the LTA either.
    Heather Watson is also overrated. She isn't much better then Edmund. She was 14 wins and 18 losses this year. Robson was decent until she was out for a while now she looks finished. Bedene and Edmund are average at best with Edmund maybe slightly more capable of a win.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Kyrgios out, thank goodness.
    Poor defeat, don't think he will ever be a top player.

Heather Watson is also overrated. She isn't much better then Edmund. She was 14 wins and 18 losses this year. Robson was decent until she was out for a while now she looks finished. Bedene and Edmund are average at best with Edmund maybe slightly more capable of a win.

Poor defeat, don't think he will ever be a top player.
    Heather Watson is as good as she is going to get.
    Laura Robson is past her best already, she's just too slow around the court and sprays her shots all over the place.
    As regards Kyrgios, he's all hype. There seems to be a problem with Aussie tennis players. Wasnt it Tomic who got knocked out of Wimbledon early then was slaughtered for saying that he couldnt be bothered in a post-match interview?.

Don't think Federer will win this tournament, just play 2 five setters with a bad back at his age.

Quote Originally Posted by phuzz View Post
    Don't think Federer will win this tournament, just play 2 five setters with a bad back at his age.
    It could warm him up to breeze through the next rounds.

Watson should focus on doubles. She's got no chance in singles. Robson is a dead loss.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Watson should focus on doubles. She's got no chance in singles. Robson is a dead loss.
    Agreed but only reason they get so much press is because where they are from. They are both nothing special and average at best and when talking about tennis, never mind women's tennis they shouldn't even be mentioned.

Edmund now out, retired against teenage rising star Shapovalov 2 sets to 1 down.

Into the men's QF now, Nadal faces unseeded Rublev of Russia and when he more then likely beats him, he faces the winner of a mouthwatering match between Federer and Del Potro, who is seeded 24th and on the way back up.

Onto the bottom half, Querrey faces South African Kevin Anderson in what will be a big hitting match, while Pablo Carreno Busta awaits them in the semi final. Pablo Carreno Busta hadn't been past the third round and his best result at a grand slam was a QF place in the French Open this season.

Into the men's QF now, Nadal faces unseeded Rublev of Russia and when he more then likely beats him, he faces the winner of a mouthwatering match between Federer and Del Potro, who is seeded 24th and on the way back up.

Onto the bottom half, Querrey faces South African Kevin Anderson in what will be a big hitting match, while Pablo Carreno Busta awaits them in the semi final. Pablo Carreno Busta hadn't been past the third round and his best result at a grand slam was a QF place in the French Open this season.
    I can't wait for the Federer vs. Del Potro match, it could be amazing. Oh and you're probably right about Nadal getting through comfortably *Wolfy*.

Sadly for Federer fans he lost in four sets to Del Potro last night. It was a tense battle but surprisingly Roger's usually-sound serve eluded him at some critical moments.

Del Potro now faces an epic battle with World number one Nadal in the next round - that could be another classic. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    Sadly for Federer fans he lost in four sets to Del Potro last night. It was a tense battle but surprisingly Roger's usually-sound serve eluded him at some critical moments.

Del Potro now faces an epic battle with World number one Nadal in the next round - that could be another classic. I'm certainly looking forward to it.
    Federer didn't look comfortable, I think he pushed himself too much this season even with the breaks he had, age is catching up with him.

Federer didn't look comfortable, I think he pushed himself too much this season even with the breaks he had, age is catching up with him.
    You could be right there *Wolfy*, Federer was certainly nowhere near his best form was he. Perhaps his age is starting to tell, but I think he's still got something left in the tank, so I'm going to keep faith with the guy for a while yet.

You could be right there *Wolfy*, Federer was certainly nowhere near his best form was he. Perhaps his age is starting to tell, but I think he's still got something left in the tank, so I'm going to keep faith with the guy for a while yet.
    Might have one more Wimbledon in him.

Might have one more Wimbledon in him.
    Perhaps he has, and it's certainly not going to get any easier that's for sure *Wolfy*. I'd love to see him claim another Wimbledon title though. At his age it would be remarkable.

Perhaps he has, and it's certainly not going to get any easier that's for sure *Wolfy*. I'd love to see him claim another Wimbledon title though. At his age it would be remarkable.
    Ken Rosewall won the 1972 Australian Open at 37 years and 63 days old, could Federer surpass that, in your opinion?

Ken Rosewall won the 1972 Australian Open at 37 years and 63 days old, could Federer surpass that, in your opinion?
    With the depth of quality in the men's game these days I think it's unlikely, because he'd need to compete in the next two Wimbledons to do it, since I don't think he'll be old enough to beat it next year (36-going-on-37).

Having said that, with the efficient way he moves and plays and how fit he remains, if anyone could achieve it I'd bet on Federer. Still very much a long shot though *Wolfy*, don't you agree?

With the depth of quality in the men's game these days I think it's unlikely, because he'd need to compete in the next two Wimbledons to do it, since I don't think he'll be old enough to beat it next year (36-going-on-37).

Having said that, with the efficient way he moves and plays and how fit he remains, if anyone could achieve it I'd bet on Federer. Still very much a long shot though *Wolfy*, don't you agree?
    Ya I don't think he has 2 years in him

Nadal nearly 2 sets up in the US open final against Kevin Anderson.

Ya I don't think he has 2 years in him

Nadal nearly 2 sets up in the US open final against Kevin Anderson.
    I somehow forgot about the final!

Anyway, before I go, I thought Nadal would cruise this one - Kev just can't really hurt him in normal play and would have to rely strongly upon his serve.

Still it looks like Grand Slam number 16 for Rafa!

Another double doubles for Hingis.

25 Grand slams now. One more for Jamie Murray too.