Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 795

Thread: Firmino 2016/2017 thread

  1. #1 Default Firmino 2016/2017 thread 
    MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    38,281
    Could not find an old Firmino thread so if there is one, mods please merge...

    He looks super fit at the moment and banged in a couple of goals today and has looked better with each game. Looks like a good fit with Sadio too.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19,014
    One of Klopp's favourite players. Versatile, vision, selfless and excellent technique, the lad has a lot going for him. One to watch this season I reckon, could be a big one.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    16,318
    Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    One of Klopp's favourite players. Versatile, vision, selfless and excellent technique, the lad has a lot going for him. One to watch this season I reckon, could be a big one.
    Agree with that but still some on here don't like him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Agree with that but still some on here don't like him.
    I've a feeling that in time, they will mate.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Agree with that but still some on here don't like him.
    I don't like his hair, but that's just me!

    I think his 'numbers' will improve this season. No doubt he has a lot of quality and it was a good signing. We have a lot of firepower now but I wonder if Wij, Lallana, PHIL, Firmino et al are all a bit too similar in terms of the runs they like to make and the positions they like to take up. Don't know, just thinking out loud.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23,147
    Best player in the league this season, but won't get any of the accolades.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    39,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Agree with that but still some on here don't like him.
    I'd never seen him play until he joined us and thought he struggled when he first came but after that Manc City away performance he seemed to gain a lot more confidence now he looks like getting stronger by the game.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    39,826
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Best player in the league this season, but won't get any of the accolades.
    Really...............High praise indeed
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23,147
    Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Really...............High praise indeed
    I mean, overall in terms of importance to a team as well as overall stats, yes.

    You could make a case for Zlatan, Costa, De Bruyne, but I feel that Firmino plays both sides of the ball, links our play, and drives our team.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,243
    Yep, he's a keeper. (not a goal keeper)

    The strange thing is, we've been waiting all this time for Sturridge to be regularly fit, and now that he seems fully fit he wouldn't actually be in my starting 11

    It would be Firmino, Mane and Coutinho leading the line for the most part. Great problems to have I guess.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    18,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Agree with that but still some on here don't like him.
    Deadwood 40.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,114
    Quote Originally Posted by geo1122 View Post
    Yep, he's a keeper. (not a goal keeper)

    The strange thing is, we've been waiting all this time for Sturridge to be regularly fit, and now that he seems fully fit he wouldn't actually be in my starting 11

    It would be Firmino, Mane and Coutinho leading the line for the most part. Great problems to have I guess.
    I want those 3 on the pitch plus (a fit) Sturridge....somehow

    immense attacking talent right there.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Agree with that but still some on here don't like him.
    Oh I like him, just not when he is playing the lone striker role. Perhaps it offers something playing big boys away, but I simply dislike it. He plays so much better when playing around Daniel or even Origi; he really shines when facing the goal and has someone to play with up top.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    18,774
    Quote Originally Posted by godworethenumber9 View Post
    I want those 3 on the pitch plus (a fit) Sturridge....somehow

    immense attacking talent right there.
    That's gonna be tough. I have a feeling Klopp realizes that we don't have the quality to play a midfield 2 with the current players. And as long as we play a midfield 3, 1 of them will sit on the bench.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by godworethenumber9 View Post
    I want those 3 on the pitch plus (a fit) Sturridge....somehow

    immense attacking talent right there.
    I would agree, but I also want Lallana on the pitch (always been a fan) and it doesn't leave room for Sturridge in that instance.

    Of course it will be horses for courses at times, and with injury fatigue etc etc others will play, but there is a reality creeping in that Sturridge, even fully fit, may not be the best option, which speaks volumes for the quality we have.

    You could go another way and prefer Sturridge over Firmino, Mane or even Coutinho, which again speaks volumes as to the quality we have in the final 3rd.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    39,826
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    I mean, overall in terms of importance to a team as well as overall stats, yes.

    You could make a case for Zlatan, Costa, De Bruyne, but I feel that Firmino plays both sides of the ball, links our play, and drives our team.
    Maybe Lallana
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    That's gonna be tough. I have a feeling Klopp realizes that we don't have the quality to play a midfield 2 with the current players. And as long as we play a midfield 3, 1 of them will sit on the bench.
    We have one of the most fluid attacking systems in the league, arguably the most fluid. In reality one of the 3 midfielders is in fact also a final 3rd player in Lallana. It's bordering on criminal how much attacking talent we already field in the same team.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephemer View Post
    Oh I like him, just not when he is playing the lone striker role. Perhaps it offers something playing big boys away, but I simply dislike it. He plays so much better when playing around Daniel or even Origi; he really shines when facing the goal and has someone to play with up top.
    Couldn't agree more! he works so much better with a striker he can play off and run in behind. Genuinley think we have too many options going forward which can only be a good thing. the idea of having phil, bobby and mane behind studge is pretty frightening! when you add in widj, lallana, origi, can, Henderson and Ojo as well I think we have a very attacking squad which will cause some real problems.

    (can we also give a shout out to studge for the weekend? he made the first three goals with selfless running off the ball to create the space)
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    18,774
    Quote Originally Posted by geo1122 View Post
    We have one of the most fluid attacking systems in the league, arguably the most fluid. In reality one of the 3 midfielders is in fact also a final 3rd player in Lallana. It's bordering on criminal how much attacking talent we already field in the same team.
    I know. That's the whole conundrum though. At least 1 of the 5 will miss out. But just for the heck of it, I wouldn't mind seeing all 5.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    34,745
    Klopp loves him, we love him, he's just superb. Play Firmino in a three with Coutinho and Mane you can get hold of the ball at will because all three can play in midfield and link. Make a single change swap Sturridge for Coutinho and suddenly you can play with 3 forwards with Firmino and Mane.

    That's the advantage of a player like Firmino capable of playing all attacking roles offensively and defensively.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    I know. That's the whole conundrum though. At least 1 of the 5 will miss out. But just for the heck of it, I wouldn't mind seeing all 5.
    What's the formation for today Jurgen? "1-1-9"

    But that's 11 outfield players and 9 attackers? "Goals keepers - where we're going we don't need goal keepers"

    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    Klopp loves him, we love him, he's just superb. Play Firmino in a three with Coutinho and Mane you can get hold of the ball at will because all three can play in midfield and link. Make a single change swap Sturridge for Coutinho and suddenly you can play with 3 forwards with Firmino and Mane.

    That's the advantage of a player like Firmino capable of playing all attacking roles offensively and defensively.
    Exactly.

    He also has the ability to cause havoc whilst dropping off. It also helps him now with the pace of Mane. It's like, I have now someone who I can just give it to that will spin in behind.

    The interchangeable front three last season that played cute balls in behind defenders worked well to a point. It was only when they played a high line.

    When you've got genuine pace, you can cut teams open even if they play deep,. The example of this was against Leicester in their functional 4-4-2.

    Firmino's awareness is superb, when to spin and when to get in behind. His awareness of Sturridges diagonal run was spot on.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    30,144
    Class act is Bobby. Probably the most important player on the pitch at the moment - still will get criticised by some for not scoring enough, but that's just the way of it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    24,314
    Top player.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26,936
    Mane already better than Firmino
    Mane has one less appearance this term but

    Mane has 2 goals and a assist to Firmino's 2 goals
    Mane has 3 dribbles per game avg to Firmino's 1
    Mane has 2 as many tackles than Firmino
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    30,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Mane already better than Firmino
    Mane has one less appearance this term but

    Mane has 2 goals and a assist to Firmino's 2 goals
    Mane has 3 dribbles per game avg to Firmino's 1
    Mane has 2 as many tackles than Firmino
    Bit odd you're actually trying to discredit a player that's in great form just to try and bolster your horribly incorrect and knee jerk judgement that he wasn't very good and should be sold.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    24,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Mane already better than Firmino
    Mane has one less appearance this term but

    Mane has 2 goals and a assist to Firmino's 2 goals
    Mane has 3 dribbles per game avg to Firmino's 1
    Mane has 2 as many tackles than Firmino
    Some people just cant admit they got it wrong about a player.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26,936
    Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Bit odd you're actually trying to discredit a player that's in great form just to try and bolster your horribly incorrect and knee jerk judgement that he wasn't very good and should be sold.
    Its a matter of perception, understanding, expectations, standards.................. nothing to do with the stuff you mention
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    901
    Firmino is an odd player. He doesn't have lightning pace like Mane but he is very good at finding and creating space for his teammates. He also has an awareness to be at the right place at the right time to either finish off chances or being available for a pass. Being able to press from the front is a big plus too. What I'm finding very odd is he has moments where he can't seem to find a Red shirt with his passes but when he's on song, he's unplayable.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    25,093
    Firmino just gets better and better after a slow start to his career here, he's quality.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •