Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmino 2016/2017 thread

1. #1 Default Firmino 2016/2017 thread 
    MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Could not find an old Firmino thread so if there is one, mods please merge...

He looks super fit at the moment and banged in a couple of goals today and has looked better with each game. Looks like a good fit with Sadio too.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

One of Klopp's favourite players. Versatile, vision, selfless and excellent technique, the lad has a lot going for him. One to watch this season I reckon, could be a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    One of Klopp's favourite players. Versatile, vision, selfless and excellent technique, the lad has a lot going for him. One to watch this season I reckon, could be a big one.
    Agree with that but still some on here don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    I've a feeling that in time, they will mate.

I don't like his hair, but that's just me!

I think his 'numbers' will improve this season. No doubt he has a lot of quality and it was a good signing. We have a lot of firepower now but I wonder if Wij, Lallana, PHIL, Firmino et al are all a bit too similar in terms of the runs they like to make and the positions they like to take up. Don't know, just thinking out loud.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Best player in the league this season, but won't get any of the accolades.

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    I'd never seen him play until he joined us and thought he struggled when he first came but after that Manc City away performance he seemed to gain a lot more confidence now he looks like getting stronger by the game.

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Best player in the league this season, but won't get any of the accolades.
    Really...............High praise indeed

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Really...............High praise indeed
    I mean, overall in terms of importance to a team as well as overall stats, yes.

You could make a case for Zlatan, Costa, De Bruyne, but I feel that Firmino plays both sides of the ball, links our play, and drives our team.

Yep, he's a keeper. (not a goal keeper)

The strange thing is, we've been waiting all this time for Sturridge to be regularly fit, and now that he seems fully fit he wouldn't actually be in my starting 11

It would be Firmino, Mane and Coutinho leading the line for the most part. Great problems to have I guess.

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Deadwood 40.

Quote Originally Posted by geo1122 View Post
    Yep, he's a keeper. (not a goal keeper)

The strange thing is, we've been waiting all this time for Sturridge to be regularly fit, and now that he seems fully fit he wouldn't actually be in my starting 11

It would be Firmino, Mane and Coutinho leading the line for the most part. Great problems to have I guess.
    I want those 3 on the pitch plus (a fit) Sturridge....somehow

immense attacking talent right there.

Oh I like him, just not when he is playing the lone striker role. Perhaps it offers something playing big boys away, but I simply dislike it. He plays so much better when playing around Daniel or even Origi; he really shines when facing the goal and has someone to play with up top.

Quote Originally Posted by godworethenumber9 View Post

That's gonna be tough. I have a feeling Klopp realizes that we don't have the quality to play a midfield 2 with the current players. And as long as we play a midfield 3, 1 of them will sit on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by godworethenumber9 View Post

I would agree, but I also want Lallana on the pitch (always been a fan) and it doesn't leave room for Sturridge in that instance.

Of course it will be horses for courses at times, and with injury fatigue etc etc others will play, but there is a reality creeping in that Sturridge, even fully fit, may not be the best option, which speaks volumes for the quality we have.

You could go another way and prefer Sturridge over Firmino, Mane or even Coutinho, which again speaks volumes as to the quality we have in the final 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    I mean, overall in terms of importance to a team as well as overall stats, yes.

You could make a case for Zlatan, Costa, De Bruyne, but I feel that Firmino plays both sides of the ball, links our play, and drives our team.
    Maybe Lallana

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    That's gonna be tough. I have a feeling Klopp realizes that we don't have the quality to play a midfield 2 with the current players. And as long as we play a midfield 3, 1 of them will sit on the bench.
    We have one of the most fluid attacking systems in the league, arguably the most fluid. In reality one of the 3 midfielders is in fact also a final 3rd player in Lallana. It's bordering on criminal how much attacking talent we already field in the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemer View Post
    Oh I like him, just not when he is playing the lone striker role. Perhaps it offers something playing big boys away, but I simply dislike it. He plays so much better when playing around Daniel or even Origi; he really shines when facing the goal and has someone to play with up top.
    Couldn't agree more! he works so much better with a striker he can play off and run in behind. Genuinley think we have too many options going forward which can only be a good thing. the idea of having phil, bobby and mane behind studge is pretty frightening! when you add in widj, lallana, origi, can, Henderson and Ojo as well I think we have a very attacking squad which will cause some real problems.

(can we also give a shout out to studge for the weekend? he made the first three goals with selfless running off the ball to create the space)

Quote Originally Posted by geo1122 View Post
    We have one of the most fluid attacking systems in the league, arguably the most fluid. In reality one of the 3 midfielders is in fact also a final 3rd player in Lallana. It's bordering on criminal how much attacking talent we already field in the same team.
    I know. That's the whole conundrum though. At least 1 of the 5 will miss out. But just for the heck of it, I wouldn't mind seeing all 5.

Klopp loves him, we love him, he's just superb. Play Firmino in a three with Coutinho and Mane you can get hold of the ball at will because all three can play in midfield and link. Make a single change swap Sturridge for Coutinho and suddenly you can play with 3 forwards with Firmino and Mane.

That's the advantage of a player like Firmino capable of playing all attacking roles offensively and defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    I know. That's the whole conundrum though. At least 1 of the 5 will miss out. But just for the heck of it, I wouldn't mind seeing all 5.
    What's the formation for today Jurgen? "1-1-9"

But that's 11 outfield players and 9 attackers? "Goals keepers - where we're going we don't need goal keepers"

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    Klopp loves him, we love him, he's just superb. Play Firmino in a three with Coutinho and Mane you can get hold of the ball at will because all three can play in midfield and link. Make a single change swap Sturridge for Coutinho and suddenly you can play with 3 forwards with Firmino and Mane.

That's the advantage of a player like Firmino capable of playing all attacking roles offensively and defensively.
    Exactly.

He also has the ability to cause havoc whilst dropping off. It also helps him now with the pace of Mane. It's like, I have now someone who I can just give it to that will spin in behind.

The interchangeable front three last season that played cute balls in behind defenders worked well to a point. It was only when they played a high line.

When you've got genuine pace, you can cut teams open even if they play deep,. The example of this was against Leicester in their functional 4-4-2.

Firmino's awareness is superb, when to spin and when to get in behind. His awareness of Sturridges diagonal run was spot on.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Class act is Bobby. Probably the most important player on the pitch at the moment - still will get criticised by some for not scoring enough, but that's just the way of it.

Top player.

Mane already better than Firmino
    Mane has one less appearance this term but

Mane has 2 goals and a assist to Firmino's 2 goals
    Mane has 3 dribbles per game avg to Firmino's 1
    Mane has 2 as many tackles than Firmino

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post

Bit odd you're actually trying to discredit a player that's in great form just to try and bolster your horribly incorrect and knee jerk judgement that he wasn't very good and should be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post

Some people just cant admit they got it wrong about a player.

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Bit odd you're actually trying to discredit a player that's in great form just to try and bolster your horribly incorrect and knee jerk judgement that he wasn't very good and should be sold.
    Its a matter of perception, understanding, expectations, standards.................. nothing to do with the stuff you mention

Firmino is an odd player. He doesn't have lightning pace like Mane but he is very good at finding and creating space for his teammates. He also has an awareness to be at the right place at the right time to either finish off chances or being available for a pass. Being able to press from the front is a big plus too. What I'm finding very odd is he has moments where he can't seem to find a Red shirt with his passes but when he's on song, he's unplayable.

Firmino just gets better and better after a slow start to his career here, he's quality.