Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippe Coutinho

Coutinho is a rare gem of a player with natural ability who strikes fear into opposition back lines and keepers as he has now added unpredictability to his arsenal as well under Klopp.Will he shoot, will he pass will he take me on = run for the hills he is going to make us look silly

When Coutinho is playing to his strengths and that of his team as currently happening him and Firminio just make us all remember why the world calls this, "The beautiful game"

Thank you Coutinho...long may you bring the world joyin watching you play for this club and your country.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    This gets said a lot - he's too inconsistent, goes missing but that can/might change in the future. Dunno if I'm alone in this, but for me it's not really an issue. I think his decision making will improve as he gains more experience, and perhaps that will mean more of an overall effect on games. But I think the type of player he is will always mean he'll play in bursts and sometime will be targeted by the opposition to mark out of the game.
    The one thing we all agree on is he will improve under this current regime, Klopp is here to improve players and he has already proved he knows how to do it. You only have to look at quite a few of our players to know what I'm saying is true.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    Coutinho to me still seems like a McManaman-esque totally wrong comparison

McManaman was are Gerrard 90's, he made whole team tick and could take the game by scuffs neck

Coutinho is nowhere as good as that level, he get in Atlético Madrid team but find hard to make subs bench of Barcelona/Real Madrid

Coutinho is get better but not quite there yet
    Well I am happy Coutinho starts for us in reality and not this fantasy crap that he could start for A. Madrid and not make the bench at Barca and Real. How one comes to that is beyond me...

Coutinho is one of our best players in my opinion, in fact in he is my favourite player at Liverpool right now and is a joy to watch.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    This gets said a lot - he's too inconsistent, goes missing but that can/might change in the future. Dunno if I'm alone in this, but for me it's not really an issue. I think his decision making will improve as he gains more experience, and perhaps that will mean more of an overall effect on games. But I think the type of player he is will always mean he'll play in bursts and sometime will be targeted by the opposition to mark out of the game.
    Exactly, and this is essentially the point I was trying to make. He has been making better decisions and is reaping the benefits. Long may it continue.

Coutinho - Liverpool is my home and insists his best is yet to come. Great news.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Coutinho - Liverpool is my home and insists his best is yet to come. Great news.
    Great to hear this!
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Yet again Phil gives a good display in CM, he made things tick in that second half from that deeper positions. I still think he's not used there often enough, adds another dimension and creative threat to our midfield.

TheSoundLady is offline Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Coutinho was good today and really gave it his all. Lasted the full 90 minutes. I expect him to torment United.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Coutinho was good today and really gave it his all. Lasted the full 90 minutes. I expect him to torment United.
    He was very good. M.o.m for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Yet again Phil gives a good display in CM, he made things tick in that second half from that deeper positions. I still think he's not used there often enough, adds another dimension and creative threat to our midfield.
    Absolutely. He's played well in that position before when we played the diamond under Rodgers.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Absolutely. He's played well in that position before when we played the diamond under Rodgers.
    His best performances were in CM, for me. I'd like to see him play there more often, especially in games we're expected to dominate and open teams up.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    His best performances were in CM, for me. I'd like to see him play there more often, especially in games we're expected to dominate and open teams up.
    If we're playing the 1-2 midfield, he's ideal on the left. Wouldn't mind seeing this down the line.

Can

Henderson - Coutinho

If we're playing the 1-2 midfield, he's ideal on the left. Wouldn't mind seeing this down the line.

Can

Henderson - Coutinho
    -------------Henderson/Can-------------

------Wijnaldum---------Coutinho-------

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    -------------Henderson/Can-------------

------Wijnaldum---------Coutinho-------
    Still not convinced with Wijnaldum.

Completely agree with those calling for him to be played more regularly from a deeper position, as he ended up doing yesterday once Lallana had gone off.

Even when he starts as one of the front three he spends so much time dropping deep to get on the ball anyway, so I really don't see much reason not to start him there. Perhaps there were some worries about his doggedness and ability to get stuck in, but I think he's deceptively robust challenging for the ball.

Still not convinced with Wijnaldum.
    Me neither. Doesn't seem to do much of anything in particular, for me. Still early days but so far he's been a bit of a nothing player. Good news news is we've been playing well in spite of him, and it leaves room for Grujic or Coutinho to come into the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1471 View Post
    Me neither. Doesn't seem to do much of anything in particular, for me. Still early days but so far he's been a bit of a nothing player. Good news news is we've been playing well in spite of him, and it leaves room for Grujic or Coutinho to come into the middle.
    It's tough to play some of the football we've played 'in spite of' players in your team, it's more likely to be because of them.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    It's tough to play some of the football we've played 'in spite of' players in your team, it's more likely to be because of them.
    He's not been disastrous but I really think he needs to contribute a lot more than he's doing. In my opinion he's been a bit of a passenger in the side since he's been here, not great defensively or creating anything up the other end. Lallana's been outdoing him in both areas.

He's not been disastrous but I really think he needs to contribute a lot more than he's doing. In my opinion he's been a bit of a passenger in the side since he's been here, not great defensively or creating anything up the other end. Lallana's been outdoing him in both areas.
    He's not standing out for sure, but he's always around the place as an option, so he'd be standing out if he was giving it away, which doesn't seem to be the case. And he tends to be in and around the box when we score too, so he is involved, I wouldn't call him a passenger. It would be nice to see some stand out moments from him, but it's early doors, and we're scoring loads of goals.

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Completely agree with those calling for him to be played more regularly from a deeper position, as he ended up doing yesterday once Lallana had gone off.

Even when he starts as one of the front three he spends so much time dropping deep to get on the ball anyway, so I really don't see much reason not to start him there. Perhaps there were some worries about his doggedness and ability to get stuck in, but I think he's deceptively robust challenging for the ball.
    always thought phil made a better 8 than 10

He's not standing out for sure, but he's always around the place as an option, so he'd be standing out if he was giving it away, which doesn't seem to be the case. And he tends to be in and around the box when we score too, so he is involved, I wouldn't call him a passenger. It would be nice to see some stand out moments from him, but it's early doors, and we're scoring loads of goals.
    Let's just say, moving forward I wouldn't be starting him, without significant improvement.

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Let's just say, moving forward I wouldn't be starting him, without significant improvement.
    i d start wijnaldum before hendo or lallana....

he won us the game at chelsea......

little things he does well , simple lay offs.... and he s only settling .... he needs to bag a couple of goals....

for everyone praising adam, gini put two of adams goals on a plate for him

He has played 7 games for us.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    i d start wijnaldum before hendo or lallana....
    Above Lallana? Really? I definitely wouldn't.

Long term I'd see Henderson and Lallana as rivals for the role Lallana has been playing recently, with Lallana currently seeming to offer more. Then I'd have a proper pivot (potentially Can) and Coutinho making up the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    little things he does well , simple lay offs.... and he s only settling .... he needs to bag a couple of goals....
    I do agree that he had a good game at Chelsea, surely his best to date. But I disagree even about the general tidiness of his play. I've been frustrated by unexpected miscontrols and misplaced passes, especially seeing as I have him down as a technically proficient player.

I'm glad you're not in charge, then.

Can and Hendo in the same team will never work IMO.

I'm glad you're not in charge, then.
    We're having a discussion, mate. No need for smarminess.

We're having a discussion, mate. No need for smarminess.
    It's not smarminess at all, I'm glad you're not making the decisions if you'd be dropping Wijnaldum, it's a crazy call.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Well I am happy Coutinho starts for us in reality and not this fantasy crap that he could start for A. Madrid and not make the bench at Barca and Real. How one comes to that is beyond me...

Coutinho is one of our best players in my opinion, in fact in he is my favourite player at Liverpool right now and is a joy to watch.
    My point was trying to point out that Steve McManaman was our main man in the 90s, he made the whole team tick the took the game by the scruff of the neck , He was Stevie G at the time

Where Coutinho has yet to reach the heights of being a player single-handedly turn a game by himself, he's not quite at that level

Hence why I was saying is not the level of Barcelona or Real Madrid calibre

It's not smarminess at all, I'm glad you're not making the decisions if you'd be dropping Wijnaldum, it's a crazy call.
    Fair enough. Like you say, it's early days. We'll see how it pans out. I just think it's easy to overrate individual players when the team's in a good run of form. I'm remembering when Insua broke into the team in 08/09 and Flannagan in 12/13.