Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics now. The State We're In.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    I'm capable of recognising a problem without then believing that Britain must bear the financial costs of dealing with it.
    How/who do you want to help them then?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    I'm not talking generally about charities - the merits of those discussions are a different argument with valid concerns.

I am talking about a singular crisis - the famine in africa, where the difference is life and death and not the victims choosing. Something where we can help directly and acutely, not some long term project.
    You must be pleased

EU donates 178m dollars to famine relief
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...famine-drought

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    You must be pleased

EU donates 178m dollars to famine relief
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...famine-drought
    It's a start - though i recognise that the money is from member states, not the EU. I hope EU members actually donate themselves too and not hide under the EU banner and think they have done their bit. Because it is nowhere near enough if you consider the wealth of the EU states as individual states.

Labour - no wonder they are the butt of jokes

Today the the unions are still dictating and the rival factions breakout into open warfare over left wing and right wing politics
    People want equality, yet Labour and the unions want nothing to do with it.....

Its funny to watch

Labour - no wonder they are the butt of jokes

Today the the unions are still dictating and the rival factions breakout into open warfare over left wing and right wing politics
    People want equality, yet Labour and the unions want nothing to do with it.....

Its funny to watch
    We are light years behind in industrial relations cf other leading nations. May had a chance when she talked about workers on boards but she ducked it after pressure from rw back benchers, the CBI and the Daily Mail. Get workers to take responsibility for the company they work for and things will change.

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    We are light years behind in industrial relations cf other leading nations. May had a chance when she talked about workers on boards but she ducked it after pressure from rw back benchers, the CBI and the Daily Mail. Get workers to take responsibility for the company they work for and things will change.
    May has nothing to do with Labour being the failure it is....

Labour doesn't know what it stands for, and you only have to look at Corbyn and the unions

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    How/who do you want to help them then?
    Voluntary donations would be fine for those who wish to help. But nothing from the government.

Im a fan of Nick Cohen's writings. I have issues with equating being against what the Israeli govt is doing with anti-semitism but otherwise his pieces are normally spot on. This one falls into that category. Like Brexit, Corbyn is a car crash that has happened but is happening repeatedly and like Brexit it tells us all we need to know when you let the extremists take over.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ection-support

Voluntary donations would be fine for those who wish to help. But nothing from the government.
    So just to make this clear, you don't give a crap if they rot or starve to death because that's not your problem, right?
    As I said I think it would be good if you could experience some of this hardship to make you understand their situation better, I think you would actually understand it whether you want it or not, to make this fair they could swap you with someone living in East Africa and you could go there instead of that person, so is a win-win situation.

the govt could stop spending/wasting money on military action in "enemy" territory and use that to help poor countries

RIP Martin McGuinness

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    the govt could stop spending/wasting money on military action in "enemy" territory and use that to help poor countries
    Or they could stop wasting money by starting the wars that create power vacuums for those enemies to thrive in and use that to help the poor within Britain, rather than demonising them with media collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    RIP Martin McGuinness
    RIP Martin McGuinness' victims.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line;12456769[B
    ]Or they could stop wasting money by starting the wars that create power vacuums for those enemies to thrive in [/B]and use that to help the poor within Britain, rather than demonising them with media collusion.

You are contradicting yourself there.

You are contradicting yourself there.
    In what sense?

Or they could stop wasting money by starting the wars that create power vacuums for those enemies to thrive in and use that to help the poor within Britain, rather than demonising them with media collusion.

Nah, RIP Martin McGuinness.

The Irish have more victims, much more.

Nah, RIP Martin McGuinness.

The Irish have more victims, much more.
    And apologists.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    What a crazy idea - in a world where information is easily available and the enemy is hiding in the same room.... Never has there been a greater time to be alert than there is now...... In a age of drones and mobile phone bombs, technology making the shadows wars and chaos theory everyday news witrh running totals...........

And you want us to switch off and stand down

What a crazy idea - in a world where information is easily available and the enemy is hiding in the same room.... Never has there been a greater time to be alert than there is now...... In a age of drones and mobile phone bombs, technology making the shadows wars and chaos theory everyday news witrh running totals...........

And you want us to switch off and stand down
    A reasonable level of alertness is fine. When it becomes paranoia, it leads to all sorts of wider problems.

In what sense?
    You said:

they could stop wasting money by starting the wars that create power vacuums for those enemies to thrive in

if they have started the war doesn't make sense that they help those countries to get out of the mess they have created in the first place?

You said:

they could stop wasting money by starting the wars that create power vacuums for those enemies to thrive in

if they have started the war doesn't make sense that they help those countries to get out of the mess they have created in the first place?
    Well this particular government didn't start such wars, but further involvement can only make an existing mess worse.

Well this particular government didn't start such wars, but further involvement can only make an existing mess worse.
    you mean helping people starving to death would make the existing mess worse? what are you talking about?

And apologists.
    Why because the British don't apologize?

smokintony is online now Boot Room insider
    RIP Martin McGuinness
    Seriously?

you mean helping people starving to death would make the existing mess worse? what are you talking about?
    I'm talking about wars, not famines.

But in the case of famines, yes I think constantly dumping money upon African nations with very little progress in them taking the necessary steps to prevent or minimise such widespread disasters themselves, does make the problem worse.

Why because the British don't apologize?
    I said apologism, not apologising. They are different.

I'm talking about wars, not famines.

But in the case of famines, yes I think constantly dumping money upon African nations with very little progress in them taking the necessary steps to prevent or minimise such widespread disasters themselves, does make the problem worse.

I said apologism, not apologising. They are different.
    These people that are starving now they don't have time for their governments " to take the necessary steps", whatever that means.
    Do you think your life is more important than theirs?

These people that are starving now they don't have time for their governments " to take the necessary steps", whatever that means.
    I should hope so - he has to live his life - he can't live others life's for them.....
    It doesn't mean he doesn't have empathy to their situation

My life and their lives are not mutually exclusive. They are starving now, have been starving then, and will be starving again, due to the ineptness, corruption and insanity of their governments, who have had decades of opportunity to take the required actions, but have refused to do so.

My life and their lives are not mutually exclusive. They are starving now, have been starving then, and will be starving again, due to the ineptness, corruption and insanity of their governments, who have had decades of opportunity to take the required actions, but have refused to do so.
    also our govt have completely took advantage of this and took many of their natural resources in deals with their corrupt govt's.

I should hope so - he has to live his life - he can't live others life's for them.....
    It doesn't mean he doesn't have empathy to their situation
    I don't think he has any empathy to their situation to be honest, in fact I dont' think he gives a crap.

You are not answering my question, do you think you are superior to them, yes or no?