Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1648

Thread: Politics now. The State We're In.

  1. #61  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,530
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Have we seen a vote where turkeys have voted for Christmas and have done so by an overwhelming majority.

    In international law one nation cannot use its courts to go after another nation and their citizens.

    However not only has the Capitol building opened this door with the Justice against Sponsored Terrorism Act they also ignored warnings from Obama and the law of unintended consequences that by enacting this law opens up the American government to law suits from other countries.

    The main premise of the Bill was to allow families of 9-11 victims to sue the Saudi government for providing training, funds, etc. to the organisers and perpetrators of that terrorist act.

    Yes the clue is in the name so limited to terrorism but terrorism is in the eye of the beholder so could we see families in locations like Afghanistan, Syria and Somalia taking the U.S. government to court due to the drone strikes or special forces conducting raids.

    To overturn Obama's veto only one person voted against the bill and two abstained. Everyone else voted for it despite Obama's warnings.

    Now it may be that due to a nervousness that voting against the 9-11 families and policies aimed to protect America from 9-11 will be political suicide. However, any elected official should also consider that there will be times when public opinion is opting for one choice but that is not the correct choice so they should vote the other way.
    Well its not terrorism if a country follows international law and only invades militarily with the backing of the UN and international community. Its also wouldn't be terrorism if a country didn't fund and arm terrorist cells abroad to destabilise sovereign nations when it can't be bothered sending its own troops.

    Shouldn't be an issue then, I guess?

    Obama's concern is basically a public confession that the US government is a terrorist organisation, the largest in the world.

    However... its a fallacy that this law has opened the doors. I read an article by a lawyer specialising in international law (can't remember where, sorry) which outlined there are still a number of checks and laws in place protecting governments, this new law simply removes one impediment, opening the door for the net impediment to now be addressed. We are some way off the US government being taken to court for its crimes.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #62  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,794
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Have we seen a vote where turkeys have voted for Christmas and have done so by an overwhelming majority.

    In international law one nation cannot use its courts to go after another nation and their citizens.

    However not only has the Capitol building opened this door with the Justice against Sponsored Terrorism Act they also ignored warnings from Obama and the law of unintended consequences that by enacting this law opens up the American government to law suits from other countries.

    The main premise of the Bill was to allow families of 9-11 victims to sue the Saudi government for providing training, funds, etc. to the organisers and perpetrators of that terrorist act.

    Yes the clue is in the name so limited to terrorism but terrorism is in the eye of the beholder so could we see families in locations like Afghanistan, Syria and Somalia taking the U.S. government to court due to the drone strikes or special forces conducting raids.

    To overturn Obama's veto only one person voted against the bill and two abstained. Everyone else voted for it despite Obama's warnings.

    Now it may be that due to a nervousness that voting against the 9-11 families and policies aimed to protect America from 9-11 will be political suicide. However, any elected official should also consider that there will be times when public opinion is opting for one choice but that is not the correct choice so they should vote the other way.
    Maybe the 9-11 families are thinking even more strategically than the US government. The existence of a law like that, opening up US government and businesses to legal claims, might modify excessive behaviour more than any other action.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #63  
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,850
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    How about being told at 11 that you are seen as a failure and your life chances are diminished.
    How about that its only the middle classes that will be able to take this up/or will use their muscle and that theyve paid for home tutoring
    How about that its once again putting individual "choice" above the needs of a community or the country
    How about that when the most academically successful have been creamed off by grammar schools the effect on the schools without these pupils will be to make them less successful
    How about that it will not improve social mobility
    I went to Grammar school.

    I never realised that having an unemployed single parent and being on free school meals and state handouts made me middle class. *proud*
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #64  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    34,745
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    It's no different to failing anything else.
    Failing a job interview, failing a professional exam, failing GCSE's, failing A levels, failing to get into a University or College, failing to get into a football team, failing to get into a band or stage show, failing to get a girl you fancy to go out with you.
    Pretty much anything can be seen as a failure if you have a negative attitude.
    So we ban anything that can be considered as failure so not to hurt anybody's feelings?. That's communism - but that doesnt work either.

    Nobody puts a community or country above their own interests - nobody on the entire planet.
    You have to separate individual failure from collective engineered failure.

    For example the education system uses standardised testing for children who if they all had the same background would work. However there are those children disadvantaged by their conditions and they perform worse.

    This perhaps wasn't as big of an issue a while back as jobs were dispersed my more locally and somebody with little education but a great attitude could eb sought locally for employment supported and invested in by the employer.

    That doesn't work now. Power and wealth are centralised and you accent can bar you from being prime minister just like it can your skin colour. When you set conditions for inequality you don't simply blame people for being negative for those real barriers that exist.

    Removing barriers has absolutely nothing to do with communism. That's not to say somebody failing their exams aged 11 can't make a good life for themselves and I think that's perhaps your point.

    However what you are talking about is a system where only a minority can succeed and succeed in limited areas and you're putting that personal responsibility on the shoulders of the person being disadvantaged which makes no sense.

    Sure a small number of people will have the will and tools to find some way of climbing through the gaps in the wall. However plans are underway to stop even that. Through promotion of drugs, break up of the family and the fact the poorest children are being forced to take on massive restrictive debt for A Levels now is just devastating.

    I say A Levels because that is what degrees are worth less than now. 40 years ago few had A Levels and if you did you were advantaged. Now through a series of introducing higher levels of qualifications above degree level, reducing the quality of education but also making the tests easier you completely dilute what was once a degree now sits below A Level 40 years ago in ability to prosper.

    So you have a nation where education is being destroyed, libraries being torn down, entertainment and a cocktail of social experiments designed to distract and dehumanise people and we now charge massive fees for a qualification worth less than an A Level 40 years ago.

    You're right that is communist. All designed to create as large a slave labour force on minimum wage as possible with little hope. Now the way you see it as it is all individual choice, anybody can make it but that's not even close to being true.

    No amount of positive thinking will allow millions of disadvantaged youths to succeed. You're position is one impossible to support when you understand the collective challenges of inequality.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #65  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,868
    Interesting call by BoJo in the commons yesterday.

    Calling for protests outside the Russian embassy due to the actions that have occurred in Syria in particular Aleppo due to bombing of civilians, hospitals and aid convoys. I would be interested to see if peace groups like stop the war coalition take on the call especially as they have been criticized in the past by taking an anti-west position even if the position is indefensible e.g. the Yazidi crisis on Mount Sinjar was exaggerated for Western propaganda purposes.

    Incidents like this meant that the likes of Caroline Lucas stepped down from her position due to being busy with her constituents and the group's positions on certain incidents or policies.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #66  
    dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    38,462
    I think all this movement of people could have been and still could be stopped. The Loans to the poorer countries ... in fact most of the IMF/World Bank Loans which stipulated ONLY FOR INFRASTRUCTURE ... and NO investments for Social Projects like Health, Education, Local Development .... should be WRITTEN OFF.

    The reason most economic refugees come to say Europe is because they see no future in their own countries. Can not get out of the deprivation of their own lives and would and do risk life and limb to escape to a "better world". Regimes supported by Corporations and Western Business interests ... where a few powerful families live like kings whilst oppressing their own peoples in return for cheap raw materials or manufactured goods made in sweatshops.

    This globalisation has been the path by which all this misery has been created.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #67  
    dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    38,462
    Aldous Huxley predicted 60 years ago ... http://www.wakingtimes.com/2016/10/1...tm_campaign=TT
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #68  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,565
    Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    I think all this movement of people could have been and still could be stopped. The Loans to the poorer countries ... in fact most of the IMF/World Bank Loans which stipulated ONLY FOR INFRASTRUCTURE ... and NO investments for Social Projects like Health, Education, Local Development .... should be WRITTEN OFF.

    The reason most economic refugees come to say Europe is because they see no future in their own countries. Can not get out of the deprivation of their own lives and would and do risk life and limb to escape to a "better world". Regimes supported by Corporations and Western Business interests ... where a few powerful families live like kings whilst oppressing their own peoples in return for cheap raw materials or manufactured goods made in sweatshops.

    This globalisation has been the path by which all this misery has been created.
    And yet not one party has opposed this either here or the US. It was supported by everyone from 1979 onwards and endorsed by electorates in all elections. And yet to call it just globalisation is not completely true. In the early 80s there was a reconfiguration of debt placing it in the hands of the people rather than corporations. (check out The Supper Rich and Us..a 2 part programme aired on BBC in 2015.)
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #69  
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,086
    Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    I think all this movement of people could have been and still could be stopped. The Loans to the poorer countries ... in fact most of the IMF/World Bank Loans which stipulated ONLY FOR INFRASTRUCTURE ... and NO investments for Social Projects like Health, Education, Local Development .... should be WRITTEN OFF.

    The reason most economic refugees come to say Europe is because they see no future in their own countries. Can not get out of the deprivation of their own lives and would and do risk life and limb to escape to a "better world". Regimes supported by Corporations and Western Business interests ... where a few powerful families live like kings whilst oppressing their own peoples in return for cheap raw materials or manufactured goods made in sweatshops.

    This globalisation has been the path by which all this misery has been created.
    Screw that. Pay your bills
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #70  
    TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,416
    All this talk about immigration as if immigration is even the main problem, either in the UK or the US. People are fed such ************ it's unbelievable.

    Immigration is not a problem, it's a tool. A tool used to divide people. You have those who support it and those who think it is responsible for all ills. Divide and conquer.

    Immigration has nothing to do with anything. Crime is on the decline both in the UK and the US. Immigrant crime is massively overstated. Crime committed by corporations and the elite to swindle billions off the common person is understated and under-reported.

    But people are voting based on immigration and if you ask a random person in the US or UK what the biggest problem is, a good portion of them will say immigration. What a number they have done on us. It's sick.

    I honestly find it bizarre, misguided, and without trying purposefully to be insulting, the result of brainwashing.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #71  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,565
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    All this talk about immigration as if immigration is even the main problem, either in the UK or the US. People are fed such ************ it's unbelievable.

    Immigration is not a problem, it's a tool. A tool used to divide people. You have those who support it and those who think it is responsible for all ills. Divide and conquer.

    Immigration has nothing to do with anything. Crime is on the decline both in the UK and the US. Immigrant crime is massively overstated. Crime committed by corporations and the elite to swindle billions off the common person is understated and under-reported.

    But people are voting based on immigration and if you ask a random person in the US or UK what the biggest problem is, a good portion of them will say immigration. What a number they have done on us. It's sick.

    I honestly find it bizarre, misguided, and without trying purposefully to be insulting, the result of brainwashing.
    Yes agree with you BUT ask yourself where do most people get their views from? The majority of the press is hideously rw and anti-immigration, anti-foreigner, anti European etc, etc;. Then the tv news esp the BBC take their lead from this biased press.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #72  
    TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,416
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Yes agree with you BUT ask yourself where do most people get their views from? The majority of the press is hideously rw and anti-immigration, anti-foreigner, anti European etc, etc;. Then the tv news esp the BBC take their lead from this biased press.
    Precisely. And who owns the press? A few rich people that want us divided so as easy to conquer.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #73  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,114
    The people make themselves easy to divide, conquer and manipulate by enjoying the bliss of ignorance. They seek out what they want to see and hear. To confirm their existing bigotries and prejudices. If a person has the attitude of "it's all those foreigners fault, innit?" I don't blame the media, I blame the person.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #74  
    dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    38,462
    Quote Originally Posted by hysen View Post
    Screw that. Pay your bills
    USA, USA, USA .... Look hysen, these loans to the poor countries stipulated that only INFRASTRUCtURE should be financed by the loans from IMF/World Bank. The Contracts for these works did not go to local building companies but to Western Corporations.... and the USE of these infrastructure projects built benefitted very few people.... Hardly any locals used to build these things and when for the cheapo jobs. THe Debt landed on the nation to pay.... and when these Governments do not have any work or there is very little work available to generate TAXES, the Debts stay for decades. Caught by the short and curlies.

    I know you have very little understanding for these events and you dont want to know. But these are the circumstances.

    Ever heard about the Economic Hitman? John Perkins? Look him up!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #75  
    dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    38,462
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #76  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,565
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    The people make themselves easy to divide, conquer and manipulate by enjoying the bliss of ignorance. They seek out what they want to see and hear. To confirm their existing bigotries and prejudices. If a person has the attitude of "it's all those foreigners fault, innit?"
    I don't blame the media, I blame the person.
    Interesting argument WSL. Its almost a chicken/egg sort of debate. Still think the power is with the press.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #77  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    All this talk about immigration as if immigration is even the main problem, either in the UK or the US. People are fed such ************ it's unbelievable.

    Immigration is not a problem, it's a tool. A tool used to divide people. You have those who support it and those who think it is responsible for all ills. Divide and conquer.

    Immigration has nothing to do with anything. Crime is on the decline both in the UK and the US. Immigrant crime is massively overstated. Crime committed by corporations and the elite to swindle billions off the common person is understated and under-reported.

    But people are voting based on immigration and if you ask a random person in the US or UK what the biggest problem is, a good portion of them will say immigration. What a number they have done on us. It's sick.

    I honestly find it bizarre, misguided, and without trying purposefully to be insulting, the result of brainwashing.
    No, what you really mean is that immigration is not a problem for you.

    This country, and others in the West, are having their national identity erased by career politicians with an agenda. They have not done this in plain view, they have used one spoon legislation and two spoons obfuscation to achieve it, comfortable in the knowledge that their comfy lives in leafy suburbia remain intact. Now I may agree with you that corporate exploitation of the working population is wrong, but history has proven that people can get along just fine with little means - no nation has survived willful deprivation of it's national identity.

    I think brainwashing can work both ways.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #78  
    WirralRiddler is offline These posts brought to you by Dr Dre & Only Fools & Horses appreciation society
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard-2005 View Post
    No, what you really mean is that immigration is not a problem for you.

    This country, and others in the West, are having their national identity erased by career politicians with an agenda. They have not done this in plain view, they have used one spoon legislation and two spoons obfuscation to achieve it, comfortable in the knowledge that their comfy lives in leafy suburbia remain intact. Now I may agree with you that corporate exploitation of the working population is wrong, but history has proven that people can get along just fine with little means - no nation has survived willful deprivation of it's national identity.

    I think brainwashing can work both ways.
    Very good post. Spot on for me.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #79  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,112
    What does the national identity of Britain entail? And how is it being erased?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #80  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,326
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chop Buster View Post
    What does the national identity of Britain entail? And how is it being erased?
    Being English/British means different things to different people..... There is a recurring theme, a common thread that runs through many of them, even though they span the last 1000 years of our history. This will help to show who we are and what has shaped our national character. Hopefully it will also shed a little light on the two sides of the same coin that make up the English identity and show how little it has changed.
    Here are some

    The one thing that always strikes me is that people are pretty much reserved. Things take a long time to change. People a really scared to let go of hundreds of years of history and keeping things in. It's partly to do with having so many people squeezed into such a small place. The overriding thing about Britain is that people are very reserved, the same attitudes prevail because of the way we are educated and our parents are educated.

    It's tolerance, decency and a determination to talk about the weather on all occasions and a tendency, when a stranger stands on one's foot, to apologise.

    Fair play, tolerance and freedom. Over the last millennium all of these qualities have marked us out as a nation and so, in the future, will continue to do so... They also say that we're always pi***d, completely arrogant and hate foreigners... Ah well, nobody's perfect!

    http://www.josiespoems.webeden.co.uk...iit/4567511319

    As for the breaking of Britain
    Immigration - Politics - the lowering of standards
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #81  
    TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,416
    I don't have time to go into this now because I have stuff to do but I'll discuss my thoughts on immigration with you guys later.

    Let me just say that I don't think that immigration is any kind of a threat to any of you and that there is a very real threat and a very real danger but it is not immigration. I'll elaborate later.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #82  
    Cumbrian. is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    35,977
    ......
    Last edited by Jannno; 14-10-16 at 10:33. Reason: Leave it out
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #83  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    I don't have time to go into this now because I have stuff to do but I'll discuss my thoughts on immigration with you guys later.

    Let me just say that I don't think that immigration is any kind of a threat to any of you and that there is a very real threat and a very real danger but it is not immigration. I'll elaborate later.
    What if the real threat and danger kills us before you tell us what it is???
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #84  
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,086
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Yes agree with you BUT ask yourself where do most people get their views from? The majority of the press is hideously rw and anti-immigration, anti-foreigner, anti European etc, etc;. Then the tv news esp the BBC take their lead from this biased press.
    You do not seriously think the BBC is right wing, do you?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #85  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,326
    Sturgeon to press for another Scotland independence referendum and the break up of the UK
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/politi...endence_vote/?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #86  
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Sturgeon to press for another Scotland independence referendum and the break up of the UK
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/politi...endence_vote/?
    On the back of the report saying Scotland are in a worse economic state than Greece
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #87  
    TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,416
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    What if the real threat and danger kills us before you tell us what it is???
    Lol, luckily I think we're all here.

    I just basically think that much as the Nazis created an enemy (the Jews, non-Aryans, etc), and then the Americans created enemies (Communists, then after the fall of the USSR it was Terrorists), that it is always in the best interest of the state to create enemies. I always thought the media was influenced by the state but I had no idea of the extent of it. Until I find out 100,000 people are striking right now in US prisons (many hunger striking) and not a single US media outlet has covered it. Clearly not an accident. Proof of some form of state media control... and very, very scary.

    I don't think it's so bad in Europe, but I think it's moving in that direction. So I look at what everyone in Europe seems to be afraid of... immigration. And then I look at the actual crime statistics before and after all of this "mass immigration." Crime in the US and Britain is going down, not up. So why does everyone think it is going up and that it is all the immigrants?

    Because if you were to read most of the papers and watch most of the news in these 2 countries, elections aside, you would see "waves of immigrants" this and "crime soaring" that. Now why is the news telling everyone that these immigrants are robbing, raping, killing, when statistics show that clearly they are not - not more than any other average poor person and actually less. Crime is declining.

    Why, indeed, is Trump (and Republicans in general) trumpeting the "immigrants bring crime, immigrants kill people" rubbish. Why do the media either echo this, or not jump all over it to disprove it (they have the statistics).

    My logical conclusion is that we just as the Germans were never in "danger" from Jews, we were never in danger from Communists, we were never in that much danger from Terrorists, even, not in the Western World. In France, lately, statistically a little more. But in the UK and the US, in the last decade, you *literally* have more chance of dying by getting struck by lightning, or in the US - accidentally being shot in error by a cop. Or any one of another hundred bizarre ways to die that nobody really worries about. Terrorism is virtually no threat to us. I know what they will say: that's because our armies and government are keeping us safe! Rubbish. That's what they want us to think.

    Since when did our government ever take preventative measures to save our lives? Are they cleaning up the planet to stop cancer? No. Are they tackling global warming to stop rising seas? Not at all, just lip service. Are they converting cars to electricity to save our lungs? Nope. Are they banning smoking (which kills a million a year in US & UK, terrorists kill, what... 5 per year in each country over the last decade? 20?)... no way. What I'm saying is they don't take preventative measures to save lives. They want to wage war in the middle east to make money. All they need to do to that end, is convince everyone back home to be afraid of a faceless nameless foreign threat. And the media saturates us with terrorist this, immigrant that. And hey presto, we're afraid.

    So my logical conclusion... finally...

    We should not be afraid of terrorism. We should not be afraid of immigration.

    We see Muslims every day on the streets. We see immigrants every day on the streets. They do absolutely nothing to harm us or make us afraid. But *the media* then fills our head with all of this, Muslim terrorism talk, immigrant crime talk, and suddenly *our own brains* start telling us we are in danger when we see these Muslims (maybe) or these immigrants (perhaps), and start wondering, which of them are anti-West? Which of them are hating us? Plotting against us? Ready to rob us? Ready to blow us up?

    It's all fake. These people are trying to get on with their lives just like the rest of us. It's been a tough life for them, nobody wants to leave their home country just for sh*** and giggles. They come here in many cases because they have to. Because we have plenty and we have peace and their homes have neither and their families are in mortal danger of death.

    In my opinion, we should welcome them. We rigged the game in the first place (drawing lines on maps, invading all those countries, extracting their oil) so that we'd have plenty and they'd all have ******* all. Colonized India, Africa, you name it. Participated in the slave trade for a long time. Invented it, really. The very least we can do is to allow people to come into our countries and share our ridiculous abundant wealth. US clearly, UK to a lesser degree, are countries of comparative extreme luxury. We can afford it.

    But even if you disagree that we should allow mass immigration to our countries (and believe me it's quite hard to get in, especially to the US, it's not as "mass" and uncontrolled as the media would tell you)...

    Immigrants are not to be feared. Many are poor, many are not. Poor people tend to commit more petty crime because they have nothing. This is not an immigrant problem. It is a problem in a society where many are poor and few are rich.

    Terrorism is not to be feared. Your chances of dying from it are minute. Your chances of dying while behind the wheel of a car are enormous. Fear driving. Fear smoking. Fear breathing city air and pollution causing cancer. Fear the food we eat, the packaged crap that causes cancer. The chemicals. Fear government manipulation. Fear media control.

    But don't bother fearing terrorism and fearing immigration. They're just the latest way that the real fear is trying to manipulate you.

    The real fear, in my opinion, are those who are running this charade, and shaping the future, and inciting us to fear terrorism and fear immigration.

    I'm already aware that 99% of the people that read this will either already agree, or in most cases, say it's lunacy. But if one or two people think about it seriously then it's worth writing.

    I'd love to be wrong about all this, but history keeps repeating itself and I'm pretty worried/confident I'm at least partially right.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #88  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Sturgeon to press for another Scotland independence referendum and the break up of the UK
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/politi...endence_vote/?
    SNP still yet to explain what currency independent Scotland will be using
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #89  
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,993
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Lol, luckily I think we're all here.

    I just basically think that much as the Nazis created an enemy (the Jews, non-Aryans, etc), and then the Americans created enemies (Communists, then after the fall of the USSR it was Terrorists), that it is always in the best interest of the state to create enemies. I always thought the media was influenced by the state but I had no idea of the extent of it. Until I find out 100,000 people are striking right now in US prisons (many hunger striking) and not a single US media outlet has covered it. Clearly not an accident. Proof of some form of state media control... and very, very scary.

    I don't think it's so bad in Europe, but I think it's moving in that direction. So I look at what everyone in Europe seems to be afraid of... immigration. And then I look at the actual crime statistics before and after all of this "mass immigration." Crime in the US and Britain is going down, not up. So why does everyone think it is going up and that it is all the immigrants?

    Because if you were to read most of the papers and watch most of the news in these 2 countries, elections aside, you would see "waves of immigrants" this and "crime soaring" that. Now why is the news telling everyone that these immigrants are robbing, raping, killing, when statistics show that clearly they are not - not more than any other average poor person and actually less. Crime is declining.

    Why, indeed, is Trump (and Republicans in general) trumpeting the "immigrants bring crime, immigrants kill people" rubbish. Why do the media either echo this, or not jump all over it to disprove it (they have the statistics).

    My logical conclusion is that we just as the Germans were never in "danger" from Jews, we were never in danger from Communists, we were never in that much danger from Terrorists, even, not in the Western World. In France, lately, statistically a little more. But in the UK and the US, in the last decade, you *literally* have more chance of dying by getting struck by lightning, or in the US - accidentally being shot in error by a cop. Or any one of another hundred bizarre ways to die that nobody really worries about. Terrorism is virtually no threat to us. I know what they will say: that's because our armies and government are keeping us safe! Rubbish. That's what they want us to think.

    Since when did our government ever take preventative measures to save our lives? Are they cleaning up the planet to stop cancer? No. Are they tackling global warming to stop rising seas? Not at all, just lip service. Are they converting cars to electricity to save our lungs? Nope. Are they banning smoking (which kills a million a year in US & UK, terrorists kill, what... 5 per year in each country over the last decade? 20?)... no way. What I'm saying is they don't take preventative measures to save lives. They want to wage war in the middle east to make money. All they need to do to that end, is convince everyone back home to be afraid of a faceless nameless foreign threat. And the media saturates us with terrorist this, immigrant that. And hey presto, we're afraid.

    So my logical conclusion... finally...

    We should not be afraid of terrorism. We should not be afraid of immigration.

    We see Muslims every day on the streets. We see immigrants every day on the streets. They do absolutely nothing to harm us or make us afraid. But *the media* then fills our head with all of this, Muslim terrorism talk, immigrant crime talk, and suddenly *our own brains* start telling us we are in danger when we see these Muslims (maybe) or these immigrants (perhaps), and start wondering, which of them are anti-West? Which of them are hating us? Plotting against us? Ready to rob us? Ready to blow us up?

    It's all fake. These people are trying to get on with their lives just like the rest of us. It's been a tough life for them, nobody wants to leave their home country just for sh*** and giggles. They come here in many cases because they have to. Because we have plenty and we have peace and their homes have neither and their families are in mortal danger of death.

    In my opinion, we should welcome them. We rigged the game in the first place (drawing lines on maps, invading all those countries, extracting their oil) so that we'd have plenty and they'd all have ******* all. Colonized India, Africa, you name it. Participated in the slave trade for a long time. Invented it, really. The very least we can do is to allow people to come into our countries and share our ridiculous abundant wealth. US clearly, UK to a lesser degree, are countries of comparative extreme luxury. We can afford it.

    But even if you disagree that we should allow mass immigration to our countries (and believe me it's quite hard to get in, especially to the US, it's not as "mass" and uncontrolled as the media would tell you)...

    Immigrants are not to be feared. Many are poor, many are not. Poor people tend to commit more petty crime because they have nothing. This is not an immigrant problem. It is a problem in a society where many are poor and few are rich.

    Terrorism is not to be feared. Your chances of dying from it are minute. Your chances of dying while behind the wheel of a car are enormous. Fear driving. Fear smoking. Fear breathing city air and pollution causing cancer. Fear the food we eat, the packaged crap that causes cancer. The chemicals. Fear government manipulation. Fear media control.

    But don't bother fearing terrorism and fearing immigration. They're just the latest way that the real fear is trying to manipulate you.

    The real fear, in my opinion, are those who are running this charade, and shaping the future, and inciting us to fear terrorism and fear immigration.

    I'm already aware that 99% of the people that read this will either already agree, or in most cases, say it's lunacy. But if one or two people think about it seriously then it's worth writing.

    I'd love to be wrong about all this, but history keeps repeating itself and I'm pretty worried/confident I'm at least partially right.
    I agree with you on this.
    Governments like creating invisible threats to instill a fear factor to distract the population from other things like the state of the economy etc and make them easier to control.
    George Orwell noticed this too and you see it in his book 1984 when Eurasia were always in turn fighting either Eastasia or Oceania in supposed wars that never ended.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #90  
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,993
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    SNP still yet to explain what currency independent Scotland will be using
    ...or how Scotland can be independent and at the same time tied to the EU.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •