Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 1,531 to 1,535 of 1535

Thread: Politics now. The State We're In.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Interesting take on the story from the Indy. His firm invests in an Indonesian pharmaceutical company that makes a tablet primarily designed to treat stomach ulcers but has the unfortunate side effect of aborting an unborn child. This is done within the guise of an investment fund so is one of many stocks within that fund.

Just because some people exploit this fact to perform back alley abortions in a country where abortion is illegal. Is it justified to accuse someone of double standards when comparing his personal and professional lives.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7976386.html

So it seems to me as itis an ad hominem attack on a potential future party leader before even he decided to run. What it also shows is that if he wasn't prepared to force his company to only invest in companies that meet his world view.

What it also shows is that he is highly unlikely to spend political capital in changing the law of the land to ban abortions especially public opinion is not on his side including my own.
    Ra Ra Ra.

We'er going to smash the oiks...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Interesting take on the story from the Indy. His firm invests in an Indonesian pharmaceutical company that makes a tablet primarily designed to treat stomach ulcers but has the unfortunate side effect of aborting an unborn child. This is done within the guise of an investment fund so is one of many stocks within that fund.

Just because some people exploit this fact to perform back alley abortions in a country where abortion is illegal. Is it justified to accuse someone of double standards when comparing his personal and professional lives.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7976386.html

So it seems to me as itis an ad hominem attack on a potential future party leader before even he decided to run. What it also shows is that if he wasn't prepared to force his company to only invest in companies that meet his world view.

What it also shows is that he is highly unlikely to spend political capital in changing the law of the land to ban abortions especially public opinion is not on his side including my own.
    Look, I am no friend of the Tories. I think that is very clear. It has bigger implications to me ... to do with the whole system of doing business or ways of thinking about Capital. The System of ... Deregulated Markets, the princples of Maximising Profits or in this case the Maximising of the Return on Capital. All these Investment Companies have this as explicit "Law of the Jungle". This is what I mean by "system". No morals. What are they? No consideration of Humans as anything other than an economic resource. It doesn't have to be like this. It wasn't like this over 40 years ago before Thatcher started and Reagan in the USA. These ecoonomic pronciples the system lives by have to be radically changed back to something more human, moral, and ethical.

The last party to do this would be the Conservative Party. It is their credo.

He has apparently now divested himself of this investment, Jacob Rees-Mogg, .... since the publication of the article.
    Last edited by dreams-come-true; 9-10-17 at 19:04.

The IMF is such a *********** disgrace, they banged on about trickle down and austerity for decades despite actual economists knowing it made absolutely no *********** sense. They should be hanging their heads in shame for how continually wrong they are, in fact they have missed every single financial crash since their inception. They truly are a perfect example of the term "experts" being bandied about too easily.

Anyway, I'm assuming its got to to the point where even they can't hide the sham anymore and they've decided to save face, now admitting what most of us already knew:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...r-donald-trump

Higher income tax rates for the rich would help reduce inequality without having an adverse impact on growth, the International Monetary Fund has said.

The Washington-based IMF used its influential half-yearly fiscal monitor to demolish the argument that economic growth would suffer if governments in advanced Western countries forced the top 1% of earners to pay more tax.

The IMF said tax theory suggested there should be “significantly higher” tax rates for those on higher incomes but the argument against doing so was that hitting the rich would be bad for growth.

But the influential global institution said: “Empirical results do not support this argument, at least for levels of progressivity that are not excessive.” The IMF added that different types of wealth taxes might also be considered.
    The article suggests it supports Corbyn's policies however thats not really true, as the bracket Labour suggested higher taxation on is not really the top 1% at all but mostly middle class families. However, the Labour tax plan makes more sense than the Tories and always has done (historically), maybe now the IMF admits it the same blinded idiots may start listening.

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Anyone who is an investigative journalist lives dangerously ... unfortunately, it seems that some rich person implicated in the Panama Papers has probably hired an assassin to kill this investigative journalist. I hope karma turns full tilt on the person who gave the assignment to kill ... https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...ers-journalist

Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    Anyone who is an investigative journalist lives dangerously ... unfortunately, it seems that some rich person implicated in the Panama Papers has probably hired an assassin to kill this investigative journalist. I hope karma turns full tilt on the person who gave the assignment to kill ... https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...ers-journalist
    Agreed, although I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion it was someone associated with the Panama Papers. It might be associated with something she was working on now.

However, I do hope the individuals responsible are brought to justice one way or another.