Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
Results 1,621 to 1,646 of 1646

Thread: Politics now. The State We're In.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    The orthodox jews are well know for their stand on the entire matter. And for them its a deep religious matter. So i wouldnt call it propaganda.

But its also a topic that would inflame the forums, so its best without it
    Why? A quote comes to mind. Maybe Voltaire.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    It wasn't that one.

Time to draw a line under this.

Some subjects are best discussed elsewhere...not on the official forums of one of the biggest and most respected clubs in the world.
    Again GR...is this official club policy? I'm assuming it has current relevance in the Politics now thread due to Priti Patel?

Interesting that a former supporter of austerity on the Tory benches has called for it to stop. He says when we took office deficit was 10% of GDP and now reduced. Really? Thats an eye opener because the lost tax revenues from off shore accounts add up to 15% of GDP. We'd be in surplus!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhoscoch View Post
    Why? A quote comes to mind. Maybe Voltaire.
    Because of human nature?

Because of human nature?
    Nature or nurture?

Nature or nurture?
    Sheep are sheep because no one learned them to be anything else then sheep?

Sheep are sheep because no one learned them to be anything else then sheep?
    Did you see the story about sheep having been trained to recognize celebrities?

(In deference to your excellent English I would respectfully point out that its *taught*).

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Again GR...is this official club policy? I'm assuming it has current relevance in the Politics now thread due to Priti Patel?
    If posters want to debate the actions of the Israeli State in a calm rational manner, without offensive or potentially libellous comments...then they are free to do so...just like normal.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    If posters want to debate the actions of the Israeli State in a calm rational manner, without offensive or potentially libellous comments...then they are free to do so...just like normal.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Did you see the story about sheep having been trained to recognize celebrities?

(In deference to your excellent English I would respectfully point out that its *taught*).
    No.
    What a productive use of money

No.
    What a productive use of money
    Its important stuff.

I'd rather them study this than say...what pollution is coming out of the back of planes these days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...iversity-study

Its important stuff.

I'd rather them study this than say...what pollution is coming out of the back of planes these days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...iversity-study
    They could just ask some peasants if their sheep recognize them better then strangers. It could be done over the phone.
    Pollution, what's that?

This Priti Patel thing is ridiculous. She was rightly sacked but the coverage had been silly - i mean tracking her plane back from kenya like a US car chase (OJ anyone?).

And Boris - he too should be sacked, but people need to keep perspective that Iran are primarily to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    This Priti Patel thing is ridiculous. She was rightly sacked but the coverage had been silly - i mean tracking her plane back from kenya like a US car chase (OJ anyone?).

And Boris - he too should be sacked, but people need to keep perspective that Iran are primarily to blame.
    That is taking it right back to the beginning C. 1979 whereas what we're talking about is an incident which is recent. Iran has had awful regimes even when the Shah was in charge but in saying its Iran's fault is like saying the situation in China today is Mao's fault. Johnson has made things worse when if he'd said nothing a British woman held in Iran might have been released. I think DS you are simply repeating the Conservative Party defence of Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    That is taking it right back to the beginning C. 1979 whereas what we're talking about is an incident which is recent. Iran has had awful regimes even when the Shah was in charge but in saying its Iran's fault is like saying the situation in China today is Mao's fault. Johnson has made things worse when if he'd said nothing a British woman held in Iran might have been released. I think DS you are simply repeating the Conservative Party defence of Johnson.
    Nonsense. I don't defend Johnson - he should be sacked. But the Iran issue is nothing to do with history/china/bs/bs - they hold a british woman with bogus charges (hold many men and women both iranian and not) and that is happening now and should not be justified into historic blame or party politics. Otherwise we should equally point to Corbyn taking Iranian money and being broadcast on iranian state TV AFTER the british woman in question was imprisoned.

Iran of course are primarily to blame as they are the ones arresting and imprisoning the poor woman, well before Boris made things worse with his incompetence. It is Iran using Boris' incompetence too. So yes, Iran is primarily to blame no matter how much you try to pretend they are not.
    Last edited by DantesShadow; 12-11-17 at 19:56.

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Boris Johnson should never have been appointed to that position. The Foreign Secretary is the face of the British government internationally. It requires a person of tact, skilled in diplomacy. The idea of a scruffy bumbling buffoon who looks like a neanderthal and embodies every public school stereotype imaginable, known for his utter idiocy and cluelessness when it comes to foreign cultures, who can only cause embarrassment to the United Kingdom internationally is a clearest sign that May is simply not fit for purpose she holds if in her judgement, this is the best person she could have possibly chosen for such a crucial cabinet position.

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Theresa May faces open opposition now in her own party ... http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2017/1...idence-in-her/

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post

Except...she wasn't sacked.

She was allowed to resign her cabinet position.

Very different.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Boris Johnson should never have been appointed to that position. The Foreign Secretary is the face of the British government internationally. It requires a person of tact, skilled in diplomacy. The idea of a scruffy bumbling buffoon who looks like a neanderthal and embodies every public school stereotype imaginable, known for his utter idiocy and cluelessness when it comes to foreign cultures, who can only cause embarrassment to the United Kingdom internationally is a clearest sign that May is simply not fit for purpose she holds if in her judgement, this is the best person she could have possibly chosen for such a crucial cabinet position.
    He was given that job as some sort of punishment, which was praised at the time, bizarrely

May is not a real PM, she slipped into that position with horrible opportunism promoted as this grey stable steady the ship leader, but she has been a disaster and anything but stable as we've all seen

Now we have to watch on as she ****'s up Brexit which was already a shambles and while she and her government play top trumps with each others appalling careers that are very much to our detriment

Its only been 16 months with this pile of **** and it already feels like years

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    He was given that job as some sort of punishment, which was praised at the time, bizarrely

May is not a real PM, she slipped into that position with horrible opportunism promoted as this grey stable steady the ship leader, but she has been a disaster and anything but stable as we've all seen

Now we have to watch on as she ****'s up Brexit which was already a shambles and while she and her government play top trumps with each others appalling careers that are very much to our detriment

Its only been 16 months with this pile of **** and it already feels like years
    She's the Roy Hodgson of prime ministers.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    She's the Roy Hodgson of prime ministers.
    only because of her right flank and the maj of the press. She is being seen as weak because of the agitation of her rw MPs.

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    only because of her right flank and the maj of the press. She is being seen as weak because of the agitation of her rw MPs.
    Now you mention it, I think she looks like an owl too.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Something witnessed as to the state we are in regarding to the Universal Credit, and it's ensuing faults;

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...MCNEWEML6619I2

Courtesy of the Guardian and Parliament.

Last edited by Socratease; 8-12-17 at 00:32.
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates.

Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Please note that a great deal of reporting press tows the line of the right wing these days/years.

The right wing (sometimes some in Fleet Street) are the wrong wing at times as to when they wish to reassure the haves to keep them at number '1' - no matter what, as opposed to those without a have who are of no consequence.

The left wing continually strive for the middle ground. On a boat you seek leeways for safe passage on rivers, inlets and estuaries.

An equilibrium ~ a fair share, a social and economical prosperity is surely the prerequisite of a successful society.

We only move forward with advancing progress if we bring those without to within.

Last edited by Socratease; 9-12-17 at 00:29.
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    Please note that a great deal of reporting press tows the line of the right wing these days/years.

The right wing (sometimes some in Fleet Street) are the wrong wing at times as to when they wish to reassure the haves to keep them at number '1' - no matter what, as opposed to those without a have who are of no consequence.

The left wing continually strive for the middle ground. On a boat you seek leeways for safe passage on rivers, inlets and estuaries.

An equilibrium ~ a fair share, a social and economical prosperity is surely the prerequisite of a successful society.

We only move forward with advancing progress if we bring those without to within.

Well said. It makes you wonder how long this current system can continue (i.e. those that have more, wanting more in and those who have less being squeezed).
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Well said. It makes you wonder how long this current system can continue (i.e. those that have more, wanting more in and those who have less being squeezed).
    I see where you are coming from, but it's not only about being 'in the boat'. The idealisation that the equation is as simple as 'the left are for everyone but the right are for the few' misses the multitude of other factors and issues. The so called left, attempting to be defined as centre, system also has drawbacks and is not a panacea. If that were so, then a good competent dictator would be the best of all systems.

I don't believe in leaving anyone behind but there are many ways to achieve that. A giant controlling state is not something i myself believe in regardless of people's wealth. The only areas i would like more is in policing and education