Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1648

Thread: Politics now. The State We're In.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Interesting take on the story from the Indy. His firm invests in an Indonesian pharmaceutical company that makes a tablet primarily designed to treat stomach ulcers but has the unfortunate side effect of aborting an unborn child. This is done within the guise of an investment fund so is one of many stocks within that fund.

Just because some people exploit this fact to perform back alley abortions in a country where abortion is illegal. Is it justified to accuse someone of double standards when comparing his personal and professional lives.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7976386.html

So it seems to me as itis an ad hominem attack on a potential future party leader before even he decided to run. What it also shows is that if he wasn't prepared to force his company to only invest in companies that meet his world view.

What it also shows is that he is highly unlikely to spend political capital in changing the law of the land to ban abortions especially public opinion is not on his side including my own.
    Ra Ra Ra.

We'er going to smash the oiks...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Interesting take on the story from the Indy. His firm invests in an Indonesian pharmaceutical company that makes a tablet primarily designed to treat stomach ulcers but has the unfortunate side effect of aborting an unborn child. This is done within the guise of an investment fund so is one of many stocks within that fund.

Just because some people exploit this fact to perform back alley abortions in a country where abortion is illegal. Is it justified to accuse someone of double standards when comparing his personal and professional lives.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7976386.html

So it seems to me as itis an ad hominem attack on a potential future party leader before even he decided to run. What it also shows is that if he wasn't prepared to force his company to only invest in companies that meet his world view.

What it also shows is that he is highly unlikely to spend political capital in changing the law of the land to ban abortions especially public opinion is not on his side including my own.
    Look, I am no friend of the Tories. I think that is very clear. It has bigger implications to me ... to do with the whole system of doing business or ways of thinking about Capital. The System of ... Deregulated Markets, the princples of Maximising Profits or in this case the Maximising of the Return on Capital. All these Investment Companies have this as explicit "Law of the Jungle". This is what I mean by "system". No morals. What are they? No consideration of Humans as anything other than an economic resource. It doesn't have to be like this. It wasn't like this over 40 years ago before Thatcher started and Reagan in the USA. These ecoonomic pronciples the system lives by have to be radically changed back to something more human, moral, and ethical.

The last party to do this would be the Conservative Party. It is their credo.

He has apparently now divested himself of this investment, Jacob Rees-Mogg, .... since the publication of the article.
    Last edited by dreams-come-true; 9-10-17 at 19:04.

The IMF is such a *********** disgrace, they banged on about trickle down and austerity for decades despite actual economists knowing it made absolutely no *********** sense. They should be hanging their heads in shame for how continually wrong they are, in fact they have missed every single financial crash since their inception. They truly are a perfect example of the term "experts" being bandied about too easily.

Anyway, I'm assuming its got to to the point where even they can't hide the sham anymore and they've decided to save face, now admitting what most of us already knew:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...r-donald-trump

Higher income tax rates for the rich would help reduce inequality without having an adverse impact on growth, the International Monetary Fund has said.

The Washington-based IMF used its influential half-yearly fiscal monitor to demolish the argument that economic growth would suffer if governments in advanced Western countries forced the top 1% of earners to pay more tax.

The IMF said tax theory suggested there should be “significantly higher” tax rates for those on higher incomes but the argument against doing so was that hitting the rich would be bad for growth.

But the influential global institution said: “Empirical results do not support this argument, at least for levels of progressivity that are not excessive.” The IMF added that different types of wealth taxes might also be considered.
    The article suggests it supports Corbyn's policies however thats not really true, as the bracket Labour suggested higher taxation on is not really the top 1% at all but mostly middle class families. However, the Labour tax plan makes more sense than the Tories and always has done (historically), maybe now the IMF admits it the same blinded idiots may start listening.

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Anyone who is an investigative journalist lives dangerously ... unfortunately, it seems that some rich person implicated in the Panama Papers has probably hired an assassin to kill this investigative journalist. I hope karma turns full tilt on the person who gave the assignment to kill ... https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...ers-journalist

Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    Anyone who is an investigative journalist lives dangerously ... unfortunately, it seems that some rich person implicated in the Panama Papers has probably hired an assassin to kill this investigative journalist. I hope karma turns full tilt on the person who gave the assignment to kill ... https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...ers-journalist
    Agreed, although I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion it was someone associated with the Panama Papers. It might be associated with something she was working on now.

However, I do hope the individuals responsible are brought to justice one way or another.

Fallon resigns as defence secretary

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Fallon resigns as defence secretary
    Seems to be relating to an historic issue.

Seems to be relating to an historic issue.
    Yeah - apparently he touched a reporters knee 15 years ago and in todays environment of sexual abuse he felt it was wrong, that someone could use in against him

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Yeah - apparently he touched a reporters knee 15 years ago and in todays environment of sexual abuse he felt it was wrong, that someone could use in against him
    Hysteria

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Hysteria
    Uncertainty - something sweet and innocent in one era is a crime against humanity in another

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Hysteria
    Agreed, looking in the direction of a member of the opposite sex (or the same sex if you are that way inclined) is next. There should be a line in the sand that you cant cross but this Fallon story is just crazy.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

naturalskill is online now First team regular
    anyone who believes Fallon resigned for merely touching someone's knee needs their head tested

Quote Originally Posted by naturalskill View Post
    anyone who believes Fallon resigned for merely touching someone's knee needs their head tested
    Care to elaborate?

The only thing I can find other than the knee thing is "inappropriate flirtation" mentioned as a possibility, whatever that means.

Look, I'm sure that some people will take advantage of their position but for the moment, this Fallon story looks like an over-reaction based on the current climate.

Actually, looking around a bit more theres a lot more rumour floating around. Some of it looks very fantastical tbh.
    Last edited by Eloader; 2-11-17 at 16:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Agreed, looking in the direction of a member of the opposite sex (or the same sex if you are that way inclined) is next. There should be a line in the sand that you cant cross but this Fallon story is just crazy.
    It does seem like an overreaction. Especially as the woman involved has no issue with it - they settled it at the time - she told him it was inappropriate and he stopped. Weird, I can't help but think there must be more..

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    It does seem like an overreaction. Especially as the woman involved has no issue with it - they settled it at the time - she told him it was inappropriate and he stopped. Weird, I can't help but think there must be more..
    Yeah, I'm reading more inappropriate flirtation instances, you have to wonder if these other women weren't as understanding.

Still, atm it still seems quite beige compared to others on the hit list.

Yeah, I'm reading more inappropriate flirtation instances, you have to wonder if these other women weren't as understanding.

Still, atm it still seems quite beige compared to others on the hit list.
    I've dated a lot of people from my work as well as crash and burns. On balance i have had more work relationships than not and many did have differences in 'power' related to our positions (don't snigger!). Guess ultimately it depends on how the person receiving the attention perceives it?

I've dated a lot of people from my work as well as crash and burns. On balance i have had more work relationships than not and many did have differences in 'power' related to our positions (don't snigger!). Guess ultimately it depends on how the person receiving the attention perceives it?
    I did a Beavis snigger, just so you know.

Last bit, yeah probably the crux of it, and it doesn't help that some people are really bad at reading signals and make matters worse.

Just read the unredacted hit list on Twitter. Obviously a large portion of it is not confirmed and I gather some "victims" named have come forward to rubbish their entry but Fallons looks interesting (not for a family forum)

Of course, nothing is confirmed yet.

I did a Beavis snigger, just so you know.

Last bit, yeah probably the crux of it, and it doesn't help that some people are really bad at reading signals and make matters worse.
    That would be me. I have brought much laughter to many women and their friends.

Agreed about the craziness of the story.

I do wonder if there was an element of Fallon falling on his sword due to this is a recent story which he instigated a compulsory drug screening on the entire submarine force.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8024506.html

There is also a captain of a sub who is under investigation for a potential improper relationship

Agreed and as long as the manager/subordinate relationship is protected from any suggestion of impropriety as well. Although I guess that can be harder in smaller organisations.

Additionally the physicall side is not during work time and rated Universal/PG-13

That would be me. I have brought much laughter to many women and their friends.
    Who hasn't been there.

Don't care

I used to think Theresa May was ok. Still think she is a decent person but she has made some appalling mistakes and is too weak. But, she has had a hell of an inbox in her premiership that I feel for her. Unpopular thought I know, but must not have been easy getting there with the sexist westminster culture either.

I think cleaning up westminster should be her number one priority, and they should bring in recall and get rid of some of these MPs.

So..Paradise Papers!?

What we thinking?

180 billion roughly of tax sheltered away that could be greatly assisting world economies, the world elites hidden wealth laid bare.

Doesn't make for good reading at all., a sickening reality.

No doubt legal justification will be the main defence, not the blatant moral issues at play here

I used to think Theresa May was ok. Still think she is a decent person but she has made some appalling mistakes and is too weak. But, she has had a hell of an inbox in her premiership that I feel for her. Unpopular thought I know, but must not have been easy getting there with the sexist westminster culture either.

I think cleaning up westminster should be her number one priority, and they should bring in recall and get rid of some of these MPs.
    Good post DS and agree. I think from the very narrow May's survival this could and should work well for her.
    As for the sexist culture in Westminster, undoubtedly it exists as most of these men are from a very narrow one dimensional culture (public schools/finance sector) where comments about women are regulation. Its a more extreme version of society at large and can be seen on social media for example.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    So..Paradise Papers!?

What we thinking?

180 billion roughly of tax sheltered away that could be greatly assisting world economies, the world elites hidden wealth laid bare.

No doubt legal justification will be the main defence, not the blatant moral issues at play here
    Meanwhile the rest of us PAYE tax payers have to pay our tax. I agree with Robert Peston who said in a book years ago, that before any tax rates are raised get everyone to pay the tax they owe. That would be a good start.

The party leaders have agreed on how grievances should be reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41892271

Not seeing much in details but the grievance hotline will be upgraded and within a year face to face human resources support will be available.

Whilst it is needed a lot sooner I am guessing part of the delay is recruiting the right people and potentially find the money for it especially if Hammond has introduced to the wider civil service what was introduced to the MoD every penny needs to be budgeted.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    So..Paradise Papers!?

What we thinking?

Rich people just doing rich people things.

And **** all will come from it.

"We did nothing illegal"

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Rich people just doing rich people things.

And **** all will come from it.

"We did nothing illegal"
    Seems the way, the whole moral question will be swept away by legalities