Notices
Closed Thread
Page 88 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,640 of 3032

Thread: Our manager, Jurgen Klopp.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    yes klopp baulked at a 20m asking price for hector.
    Klopp balked at the price for a player whom they did their homework on and the truth be told, he had a poor season at Cologne. If he signed players just because fans suggested them and there were media links, he would have signed Hector and Mamoud Dahoud. Dahoud has completely gone off the radar. Maybe that's what Klopp is looking at. I wouldn't be surprised now that the hype has died down that he went after him...or even both. Hector seems to have disappeared off the radar too.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Coutinhosmagicfeet View Post
    Klopp balked at the price for a player whom they did their homework on and the truth be told, he had a poor season at Cologne. If he signed players just because fans suggested them and there were media links, he would have signed Hector and Mamoud Dahoud. Dahoud has completely gone off the radar. Maybe that's what Klopp is looking at. I wouldn't be surprised now that the hype has died down that he went after him...or even both. Hector seems to have disappeared off the radar too.
    he does so maybe it was a good call

or maybe he d have been even better with us.

no one knows that

still 20 m for an international left back is the going rate.

he still left our squad a little light for this season dont you think? look at the bench options for the last 3 games

i am not so convinced we will sign all of what we need this summer either. and may find ourselves in the same position again next year, scrapping for top 4 whilst competing in europe.

progression to me would be top 4 this year,

6 quality players in this summer, top 4 comfortably next year and champions league knockout phase.

thats what i am hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Didn't Klopp say himself that the price was "ridiculous" for the top few targets and after them he didn't want to buy a LB just to buy a LB? I can certainly understand and appreciate that sort of reasoning, buying for the sake of buying is how you get Balotelli and Lambert in your strike force...

Moreno definitely wasn't intended to start the Arsenal match but Milner got a knock in the Barca match and wasn't available. Since then he's only been unavailable once for the league so clearly is still the starter. Klopp's opinion on Moreno's progress (or lack thereof) is much harder to judge although Randall playing some of the cup matches instead is pretty damning...
    20m for an at the time internationally recognised left back was not ridiculous. it was the going rate at the time and he opted for milner. Milner has proven capable but we still lack an abilty to attack out wide down that flank without a natural left footer.

think ashley cole getting behind the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Lets just hope the players turn up for every game from now to the end of the season eh
    If we play our best football, we can get top four.
    this is true and would make the season a success.

this is true and would make the season a success.
    We can hope, I suspect that they will turn up against City and then that is the last we will see of them for a few games.

Like I said before, there is only so far you can motivate someone, eventually the lack of quality will show through.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    How do you know he 'refused to buy a left back'? Do you really think his intent all along was to go into the season with a LB he didn't rate and an aging midfielder as his LB options?

You're putting it all at the feet of Klopp when clearly he'd have signed more players if he could have.

so you think its the owners refusal to spend?

it is definately a possibilty in all 3 windows he hasnt spent a penny net. how much of that is klopp`s frugality and how much is the owners fault is not clear to anyone except the owners and klopp himself. Do you think klopp then just saying what he is told to say to the media when he said he was happy with his sQuad options ahead of the start of this season.
    well he didn go into the season with an ageing midfielder as his left back. so if like you suggest he literally couldnt sign any more players then its all at the feet of the owners.

3 windows no net spend suggests you could be right.

so he couldnt sell moreno and find a replacement for a similar price? what are the scouts doing then? surely its their job to find suitable players. ultimately someone didnt think it worth it to sell moreno and replace him last summer for whatever reason. lack of player suitable player availability seems a poor excuse when he has since the previous october to assess and plan his summer window.

something is wrong if klopp has being told to make a profit during transfer windows.
    Last edited by fredthecamel; 17-3-17 at 19:56.

We can hope, I suspect that they will turn up against City and then that is the last we will see of them for a few games.

Like I said before, there is only so far you can motivate someone, eventually the lack of quality will show through.
    i suspect that city will backlash from the champions and sink us and then we will actually beat all the teams we are expected to beat and get top 4

ok thats what i ll be hoping if my fears about city do come true. dont feel at all confident about this one for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    I think a lot of people don't realise that Klopp is a fantastic coach, he love try work with what he inherit , like he showed at Dortmund

He must of thought that the 25 million for Hector was to much & Leicester was playing hardball Chilwell

He sick with Moreno try coach him to become a better player & experiment with Milner has left back.

So come to the conclusion that Moreno cannot be coached to be come better

Milner done ok but he needs to proper left back,

now Klopp know is scouts more, we've been probably looking for major targets for that left back for some time now
    This.
    He's actually proved how good he is by getting what he has out of this lot, I'm sure he has fully assessed this squad now and knows exactly what is needed.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    i suspect that city will backlash from the champions and sink us and then we will actually beat all the teams we are expected to beat and get top 4

ok thats what i ll be hoping if my fears about city do come true. dont feel at all confident about this one for some reason.
    I don't know about that. Tough, tough away game in Europe that ended badly for them, I think they'll be physically and mentally off going into our game.

liverpool19734 is online now Academy prospect
    I don't know about that. Tough, tough away game in Europe that ended badly for them, I think they'll be physically and mentally off going into our game.
    Agreed, which is why i feel if we can get a good start they may collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    Agreed, which is why i feel if we can get a good start they may collapse.
    I can't remember the last time we had a bad game against City, I'm quietly confident.

Yea this is what I am thinking, I reckon that they may well fall apart for the rest of the season, Jesus out, Aguero not looking himself and Pepe has not really been in a situation like this before.
    I still think there is a chance of no manchester clubs finishing in the top four.
    I can hope anyway !

Coach791 is offline First team regular
    In the UK (in particular) we live in a world of insanity in our culture. Everything is dramatic, exaggerated and illogical. You're either an incredible success (in other people's eyes) or a complete failure. Mankind has rarely been so dramatic.

However trust Jurgen Klopp to deliver some basic wisdom and logic that should act like an antidote to madness the majority of LFC fans suffer from.

"When you reach a target, it's fantastic," Klopp told Soccer Saturday. "If you don't get it, it doesn't mean you are bad or not the right person. Come on, let's try it again."

Pretty simple. However if we don't win the league, we don't make Top 4 I fully expect the cries of we'll never do it, we're awful, this is a disaster most likely will appear. When they do if you doubt just read these words from Klopp again.

It doesn't mean we're bad. It's a result and it shows we need to improve. Come on let's improve and try again. That's called not giving up, which is important for success. We'd all like to win everything first time of trying but in all likelihood it will require some time work, dealing with falling short and improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    In the UK (in particular) we live in a world of insanity in our culture. Everything is dramatic, exaggerated and illogical. You're either an incredible success (in other people's eyes) or a complete failure. Mankind has rarely been so dramatic.

However trust Jurgen Klopp to deliver some basic wisdom and logic that should act like an antidote to madness the majority of LFC fans suffer from.

"When you reach a target, it's fantastic," Klopp told Soccer Saturday. "If you don't get it, it doesn't mean you are bad or not the right person. Come on, let's try it again."

Pretty simple. However if we don't win the league, we don't make Top 4 I fully expect the cries of we'll never do it, we're awful, this is a disaster most likely will appear. When they do if you doubt just read these words from Klopp again.

It doesn't mean we're bad. It's a result and it shows we need to improve. Come on let's improve and try again. That's called not giving up, which is important for success. We'd all like to win everything first time of trying but in all likelihood it will require some time work, dealing with falling short and improving.
    If we don't get top 4, the same people will be on here crying hysterically about what a big failure Klopp is. It would certainly be disappointing but I wouldn't change Klopp for anyone right now.

I mean, we're top 4, a point of second and in with a very good chance of securing CL football next season, yet you already have some people on here telling us where Klopp has failed this season, or how he has no excuses now, or even people like Fred ridiculously wanting him sacked. It's madness.

I truly believe it to be a mental problem primarily.
    Yes of course we might have better quality in some positions, but this lack of consistency is surely mentality

They beat the big teams because they've got nothing to lose and there's no pressure on them.

When there is pressure because they are expected to win comfortably, or they're in a final, or the games become must-win to get in the Champion's League spots, or even when Leicester decide they're going to get head-buttingly in their faces - then they panic and bottle it. It's been like that for years.

I believe Klopp knows this, and will sort it out on way or the other

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    If we don't get top 4, the same people will be on here crying hysterically about what a big failure Klopp is. It would certainly be disappointing but I wouldn't chanege Klopp for anyone right now.

I mean, we're top 4, a point of second and in with a very good chance of securing CL football next season, yet you already have some people on here telling us where Klopp has failed this season, or how he has no excuses now, or even people like Fred ridiculously wanting him sacked. It's madness.
    It makes no sense Wil. Our results against the bigger teams this season, we haven't beaten Arsenal home and away for like 17 years. Chelsea haven't beaten us, nor have United and Spurs. We have managed to compete with the top 4 this season. We are still in the hunt. The season is far from over for us. A loss against City would not be a step back either. It just means Klopp has lost one match against the top 6 this season, which is bound to happen at some point.

The games against the others in which we have to improve. We can over come them. If we really want to get top 4, now is the time to put a run together.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

If we don't get top 4, the same people will be on here crying hysterically about what a big failure Klopp is. It would certainly be disappointing but I wouldn't change Klopp for anyone right now.

If you consider with 10 games to go 2nd is a possibility that's a huge improvement from 18 months or so ago when we were dropping towards mid table. That's just factual that we've improved overall.

You cannot fix every problem ever, let alone in 18 months when there are many to address. This season positions 2-6 are divided by just 6 points, with teams having games in hand that could mean 5 teams within a point of each other.

With such small margins deciding who will finish 2nd to 6th it will be typical insanity to declare a fantastic 'step up' if we finish 2nd, nor will be it be a spectacular failure if we finish 6th.

The obvious truth is we're massively more competitive under Klopp than the last couple seasons under Rodgers. We're improving. Whatever happens this season the same process will apply. We improve and we go again.

If you consider with 10 games to go 2nd is a possibility that's a huge improvement from 18 months or so ago when we were dropping towards mid table. That's just factual that we've improved overall.

You cannot fix every problem ever, let alone in 18 months when there are many to address. This season positions 2-6 are divided by just 6 points, with teams having games in hand that could mean 5 teams within a point of each other.

With such small margins deciding who will finish 2nd to 6th it will be typical insanity to declare a fantastic 'step up' if we finish 2nd, nor will be it be a spectacular failure if we finish 6th.

The obvious truth is we're massively more competitive under Klopp than the last couple seasons under Rodgers. We're improving. Whatever happens this season the same process will apply. We improve and we go again.
    If the owners back Klopp, we'll be a force to be reckoned with. I'm happy with him overall - he's got certain players punching way above their weight.

Disagree Coach - the world has diversified from its humble surroundings in the 60's and 70's - people have more knowledge - people have changed their beliefs, and that means people hopes, dreams demands and expectations have been challenged too.....

The world population has doubled since our heady days of winning the league - there is so much more choice now and that is reflected in the views of success and failure of our club....

Quote Originally Posted by RealTalkinRed View Post
    If the owners back Klopp, we'll be a force to be reckoned with. I'm happy with him overall - he's got certain players punching way above their weight.
    As a strategy I'm not that certain more money helps us as much as we think. We can't sign the world's best players. They're just out of the equation. If you sign 6 x 30m players that's a big investment and unlikely to work.

So many big players coming in at once I don't see how that works. The major spending will be required 'if' we reach Champions League and then consolidate for a few years. If we can get back to being an established Champions League club at that moment large investment may see us potentially start signing some of the biggest names in world football.

It would still be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Disagree Coach - the world has diversified from its humble surroundings in the 60's and 70's - people have more knowledge - people have changed their beliefs, and that means people hopes, dreams demands and expectations have been challenged too.....

The world population has doubled since our heady days of winning the league - there is so much more choice now and that is reflected in the views of success and failure of our club....
    Information has increased not knowledge. There's more war now, more inequality, more mental health problems I don't really see that as an increase of knowledge it's more indicative of a decrease.

It's hard to relate all that to Jurgen Klopp and LFC. If you contrast England in the 1960's we were world champions. The fact football has changed in levels of technical ability and athletic ability doesn't detract that the England side then had a better and stronger mentality than the England side now. That's just obvious.

I cannot attribute that to knowledge or an increase since the 1960's or 70's in a 'winning mentality' and once again I go back to 70's and 80's when I watched Liverpool winning everything. The supporters then had less information. However much more knowledge of what it meant to be a supporter.

They were more ready to support, less critical, more emotional strength and much less 'dramatic' than the modern supporter and more successful. I can't agree almost all the data points to England and Liverpool fans as decreasing in knowledge and what it takes to win and moving further away from success.

I remember travelling to away games. Southampton was the worst and we'd lose. It wasn't pleasant but we'd come back unified still, behind the team, behind the players with the attitude we'll get them next time. Defeat and pain was a necessary experience when striving for success.

When we lose here what I see on these boards equates not to men, coming back from a game determined to support harder in the next match after a defeat. Here you see what equates to what could be described as teenage angst. Crying, screaming, stamping of feet, tantrums and I don't personally believe that's an improvement. Supports now complain more and support less, they criticise more and praise less, they demand more and offer less.

Back in those days (which are now gone) Liverpool FC was like a family. You stood strong alongside your manager, players and other supporters as one. That's strong and committed. Fans didn't have great disposable cash levels, travelling was more difficult and supporting LFC meant actually going every game. Now supporting LFC requires little effort (from me included) and what we have is a fan base that treat LFC like an entitlement. They pick LFC as their club now LFC must bring them success.

They live vicariously through the side. If LFC are successful they feel successful when it once was about being with your brothers and your team. Now football changed there's nothing you can do but I don't support the notion football fans have evolved into something that knows how to achieve more. In fact it is completely the opposite when you study it. Fans do less, support less, turn on players and managers quicker, set incredibly unrealistic expectations and then attack the club at will offering less than previous generations of fans in terms of commitment.

It's not a recipe for success. Liverpool are better than a lot of clubs as well but population growth, changes in society over the past few decades have not had positive effects in terms of winning for Liverpool FC or England. We have a strange notion that the world is better now. We have more information but I think less knowledge. It's not something you can prove either way.

However what Klopp says is absolutely true. If you don't reach your target then you accept that and you go again. You improve, you get better and you try again you don't give up. The alternative to label yourself a failure, cry, throw a tantrum and declare yourself a failure is guaranteed to never achieve anything.

However what Klopp says is absolutely true. If you don't reach your target then you accept that and you go again. You improve, you get better and you try again you don't give up. The alternative to label yourself a failure, cry, throw a tantrum and declare yourself a failure is guaranteed to never achieve anything.
    Klopp deserves the chance to do it his way, but

Firstly I don't think Klopp has anyone "Punching above their weight". There is a talented nucleus of players there.

If any manager has players punching above their weight, it's Antonio Conte this season and Claudio Ranieri last year. Last season's Leicester were the biggest bunch of rejects and rag bags since the majority of our CL winning squad of 2005. Conte has Luiz, Cahill, Moses and Alonso pushing way above their weight. The reality is they are below average.

Our squad needs heavy investment. However Klopp has managed to do something in 18 months what Rodgers failed to do. He's scared the better sides half to death. Mourinho as arrogant as you like and once was involved in a love triangle with two mirrors is scared stiff to go toe to toe with us.

On Monday he went expansive against Chelsea. He's gone expansive against other sides too. He parked a huge red bus against us. He knows that there is no point playing football against us. You're going to be humiliated.

Firstly I don't think Klopp has anyone "Punching above their weight". There is a talented nucleus of players there.

If any manager has players punching above their weight, it's Antonio Conte this season and Claudio Ranieri last year. Last season's Leicester were the biggest bunch of rejects and rag bags since the majority of our CL winning squad of 2005. Conte has Luiz, Cahill, Moses and Alonso pushing way above their weight. The reality is they are below average.

Our squad needs heavy investment. However Klopp has managed to do something in 18 months what Rodgers failed to do. He's scared the better sides half to death. Mourinho as arrogant as you like and once was involved in a love triangle with two mirrors is scared stiff to go toe to toe with us.

On Monday he went expansive against Chelsea. He's gone expansive against other sides too. He parked a huge red bus against us. He knows that there is no point playing football against us. You're going to be humiliated.
    Hahaha.

Hahaha.
    Individually they are all average. Moses has been at Chelsea 5 years and spent 4 seasons on loan. He was a major flop at Liverpool. Luiz is unreliable., and cannot be trusted to play in a back four because he has Phil Babb like concentration. Cahill is average and was their weakest player against United on Monday. As for Alonso. Didn't he flop at Bolton a few years back?

Here's something to throw into the pot. Chelsea are planning to buy Suso from A.C. Milan for 21 million.

If this is true, I hope to god Liverpool threw in a percentage sell on clause of at least 25%.

Individually they are all average. Moses has been at Chelsea 5 years and spent 4 seasons on loan. He was a major flop at Liverpool. Luiz is unreliable., and cannot be trusted to play in a back four because he has Phil Babb like concentration. Cahill is average and was their weakest player against United on Monday. As for Alonso. Didn't he flop at Bolton a few years back?

Here's something to throw into the pot. Chelsea are planning to buy Suso from A.C. Milan for 21 million.

If this is true, I hope to god Liverpool threw in a percentage sell on clause of at least 25%.
    Unfortunately Cout it's unlikely there is any clause. If I recall rightly Suso was not sold to AC Milan in a transfer. Instead they paid a compensation fee to Liverpool to cancel his contract so technically it was a free transfer with a compensation package for contract cancellation rather than a transfer fee. That's if reports of the transfer at the time were accurate.

I also wouldn't read too much into the Chelsea signing Suso story. They may be interested but it also makes sense for newspapers to just link him regardless. Suso is playing well in Italy and Antonio Conte is Italian. In that respect fans will believe there is some logic in it so fans will believe.

With a usual transfer rumour of Chelsea signing somebody only Chelsea fans will really care. However if it is a player that used to play for domestic rivals Liverpool then Liverpool fans will click also. You get more traffic.

That's why they use words like race, advanced talks, neither mean anything they just sound better than we're guessing and they give fans a sense that something is happening soon so they click. Apparently there is a race to sign many players. A race that last a whole year and sometimes never finishes, that's not really a race at all.

It might be a genuine story but it has a lot of hallmarks of click bait.

Unfortunately Cout it's unlikely there is any clause. If I recall rightly Suso was not sold to AC Milan in a transfer. Instead they paid a compensation fee to Liverpool to cancel his contract so technically it was a free transfer with a compensation package for contract cancellation rather than a transfer fee. That's if reports of the transfer at the time were accurate.

I also wouldn't read too much into the Chelsea signing Suso story. They may be interested but it also makes sense for newspapers to just link him regardless. Suso is playing well in Italy and Antonio Conte is Italian. In that respect fans will believe there is some logic in it so fans will believe.

With a usual transfer rumour of Chelsea signing somebody only Chelsea fans will really care. However if it is a player that used to play for domestic rivals Liverpool then Liverpool fans will click also. You get more traffic.

That's why they use words like race, advanced talks, neither mean anything they just sound better than we're guessing and they give fans a sense that something is happening soon so they click. Apparently there is a race to sign many players. A race that last a whole year and sometimes never finishes, that's not really a race at all.

It might be a genuine story but it has a lot of hallmarks of click bait.
    I think you may be right.

The same applies to the "Bayern Munich have won the race to sign Liverpool target Julian Brandt". It was reported by the Mirror.

Like the Suso story. This merely hearsay and speculation for a number of reasons. I don't feel that anybody has a real clue who Jurgen Klopps transfer targets are. I also feel that if x player chooses another club over Liverpool then Klopp won't be too bothered. He only wants players that one will improve what he's got and two, have the required desire to play for us.

I think you may be right.

The same applies to the "Bayern Munich have won the race to sign Liverpool target Julian Brandt". It was reported by the Mirror.

Like the Suso story. This merely hearsay and speculation for a number of reasons. I don't feel that anybody has a real clue who Jurgen Klopps transfer targets are. I also feel that if x player chooses another club over Liverpool then Klopp won't be too bothered. He only wants players that one will improve what he's got and two, have the required desire to play for us.
    That last part there is a good point, I think he is looking for the right players mentally, not just good players in the positions we need.
    I hope that we can go all out, no messing, for these targets once he has identified the ones he wants.

I'm impressed with Klopp because his "Plan A" is based on the collective than any individual. His preferred style off play centres on a number of players that can hurt the opposition. In Rodgers case it was Suarez, in Rafa Benitez' case it was Torres. When Suarez left, the wheels fell off.

Now if Klopp can sign players that can make his "Plan B" just as strong as his "Plan A", then we'll be even be more formidable. I still feel that he's not got as of yet the players to make swift transition of styles work to tactically outmaneourve the opposition.

I'm referring to the counter attack. Yes it does work when the opposition are chasing the game when they leave gaps as evident against Arsenal. We scored on a four man move. However if it's level and those gaps aren't there, then we're suspectible to the break.

So what does it take? I still think he needs a midfield destroyer, a dominant centre half, more width and a powerful centre forward who does what Sturridge should be doing. He also needs a natural left back.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Congrats Klopp! First manager to win three games against Everton in a row.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975