Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The January transfer thread.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    We may pre-sign a couple and loan back, that seems a thing we have done recently.
    Perhaps yea, and there's also pre-contracts with players on Bosmans, we seem to like them too. There's a young LB who's in the bracket I think
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

davevietnam is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Perhaps yea, and there's also pre-contracts with players on Bosmans, we seem to like them too. There's a young LB who's in the bracket I think
    That young LB whoever he is I think would be a great move, a sort of understudy to Milner, just hope he has real defensive qualities, I think the last thing we want is some LB who is good going forward but cant defend, I suppose we have that player now so hopefully it wont happen.

Lets see if we can link 50

Andrea Pinamonti - AC Milan - Striker
    Vitolo - Sevilla - Winger
    Lorenzo Insigne - Napoli - Striker
    Paul-Georges Ntep - Rennes - Winger
    Jonathan Tah - Bayer Leverkusen - Centre Back
    Sardar Azmoun - FC Rostov - Striker
    Mahmoud Dahoud - Borussia Monchengladbach - Midfielder
    Luke Shaw - Manchester Utd - Left Back
    Chris Smalling - Manchester Utd - Centre Back
    Moussa Marega - Porto - Striker
    Arda Turan - Barcelona - Midfielder
    Andrea Belotti - Torino - Striker
    Ezri Konsa - Charlton - Defender
    Harry Kane - Spurs - Striker
    Christian Pulisic - Dortmund - Winger
    Marcelo Brozovic - Inter Milan - Winger
    Cristian Pavon - Boca Juniors - Winger

All of these are this week alone - let alone the previous 10 weeks

SouthernRob is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Lets see if we can link 50

Andrea Pinamonti - AC Milan - Striker
    Vitolo - Sevilla - Winger
    Lorenzo Insigne - Napoli - Striker
    Paul-Georges Ntep - Rennes - Winger
    Jonathan Tah - Bayer Leverkusen - Centre Back
    Sardar Azmoun - FC Rostov - Striker
    Mahmoud Dahoud - Borussia Monchengladbach - Midfielder
    Moussa Marega - Porto - Striker
    Arda Turan - Barcelona - Midfielder
    Andrea Belotti - Torino - Striker
    Ezri Konsa - Charlton - Defender
    Harry Kane - Spurs - Striker
    Christian Pulisic - Dortmund - Winger
    Marcelo Brozovic - Inter Milan - Winger
    Cristian Pavon - Boca Juniors - Winger

All of these are this week alone - let alone the previous 10 weeks
    Whoa! Am I reading that correctly? We have been linked with Harry Kane! Now THAT is bizarre!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRob View Post
    Whoa! Am I reading that correctly? We have been linked with Harry Kane! Now THAT is bizarre!
    Yeah apparently - two stories - one a swap deal involving Sturridge and two his contract talks have stalled and us and I think it was Real Madrid were ready to come in....

Yeah apparently - two stories - one a swap deal involving Sturridge and two his contract talks have stalled and us and I think it was Real Madrid were ready to come in....
    Smells very much like agent BS - he'll sign a new contract on significantly increased terms

Smells very much like agent BS - he'll sign a new contract on significantly increased terms
    I'd say the player himself would have no problem signing for significantly increased terms. But would Levy be prepared to offer him those significantly improved terms though. He has a bit of a reputation for being a bit of a tight arse. Then there's the big fee he would fetch for him. Not saying we will sign him or anything but Manure or someone like that who would be in a position to offer money Levy would find hard to turn down maybe.

Bump - we have probably seen over 50 names already mate
    Not far off it anyway Ron.

SouthernRob is online now Academy prospect
    So we would swap an England striker who isn't that mobile but has a great shot and is pretty good in the air for an England striker who isn't that mobile but has a great shot and is pretty good in the air?

Sturridge isn't first choice striker because he doesn't completely fit our style; Kane certainly doesn't either

The weakest transfer rumour I've seen for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Just A Fan View Post
    Another story that has agent BS written all over it, came out on the back of the maureen saying they weren't doing enough, next day they were still part of his plans.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    I can see the possibility of a bid for Dahoud or Pulisic if that's who Klopp wants in the future. We have no idea if we bid for either last summer. It may be we were rebuffed which wouldn't prevent us from returning.
    I think if we were to sign those players we would have signed them already.

I don't think we've ever gone back for a player we've failed to sign in a previous window under the current ownership and I think it's a matter of recruitment policy that we either sign players on our terms or walk away entirely in giving no room for further renegotiation.

Pulisic won't be signing for us I am afraid, as he's gone to establish himself as BVB's next breakout star from their academy. If we couldn't sign him before he established himself we sure as heck won't sign him when he's established himself as the next brightest academy prospect.

He's very highly regarded, and he's regarded as the best prospect BVB have ever produced since Mario Gotze.

Dahoud in contrast looks more attainable considering that he's fallen down the pecking order, for whatever reason that maybe. I still think we would be up against at as there will undoubtly be more interest particularly with his contract situation being a very interesting proposition for a number of clubs this summer. I'm not saying Klopp is an unattractive manager to play for, but if a Man City for instance came in to the picture we wouldn't stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    I'd say the player himself would have no problem signing for significantly increased terms. But would Levy be prepared to offer him those significantly improved terms though. He has a bit of a reputation for being a bit of a tight arse. Then there's the big fee he would fetch for him. Not saying we will sign him or anything but Manure or someone like that who would be in a position to offer money Levy would find hard to turn down maybe.
    Not sure on the specifics of their wage structure but I think they need to. Having him scoring consistently was a huge reason behind their title push last season - losing him put them in a tight spot. I think you can go so far paying lower end wages, but you will end up losing all the players that really excel.

If they won't pay him the big bucks then it'd be good news for the other teams up the top end

If the cashed in on Kane, they could probably say goodbye to Pochettino too.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Which makes it rather surprising he sanctioned a 30 plus million pound move for Sissoko.

I'd also say that in regards wages, you need to be careful how you're perceived by players. Its one thing to say we're not going to pay massive wages to new signings before they've proved themselves, but not rewarding players who are at the club and doing well is another. We've also stated that as a club we don't way to go into the exorbitant level of wages to attract players, but we've also said that players who come here and thrive will get rewarded. If you don't have that then it becomes a less attractive proposition by far and you put yourself into stepping stone club territory

I'd also say that in regards wages, you need to be careful how you're perceived by players. Its one thing to say we're not going to pay massive wages to new signings before they've proved themselves, but not rewarding players who are at the club and doing well is another. We've also stated that as a club we don't way to go into the exorbitant level of wages to attract players, but we've also said that players who come here and thrive will get rewarded. If you don't have that then it becomes a less attractive proposition by far and you put yourself into stepping stone club territory
    There's a serious element of that too yeah.

If any player at that club deserves a bigger contract it's Kane. I'm a little sceptical though if Levy can match the players ambitions. I mean there's a lot of money in the game right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
    Which makes it rather surprising he sanctioned a 30 plus million pound move for Sissoko.
    Talking more in lines of paying players big money.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    If the cashed in on Kane, they could probably say goodbye to Pochettino too.
    That's certainly a possibility, he proved that when he walked from Southampton because he kept losing his better players.

It could be a different story though if the player had his head turned and the club wilfully respected the the players wishes and didn't stand in his way.

Yes, sorry mate, I know what you meant...I was just digressing about the summer really. It wasn't a normal Levy transaction that one; had me a bit baffled. He doesn't really 'do' panic buying as a rule but that kind of reeked of it a little bit.

Tbf they must be doing something right - despite not winning anything in years, and only rarely making CL, the last player sold against their will was Bale. And only Modric in the few seasons before.

Either in January or next summer we'll see Ilori, Sakho, Bogdan, Manninger, Wisdom, and Markovic go (as well as our more senior U23 players like Dunn, Jones). Given that we won't have as many games, I think our squad is big enough to not need any additions in January.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Tbf they must be doing something right - despite not winning anything in years, and only rarely making CL, the last player sold against their will was Bale. And only Modric in the few seasons before.
    That has a lot to do with where there at, as in just below the top tier clubs. And let's be honest here, those two mentioned above are the only two world class players that club has had in ages and both of them left.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
    Yes, sorry mate, I know what you meant...I was just digressing about the summer really. It wasn't a normal Levy transaction that one; had me a bit baffled. He doesn't really 'do' panic buying as a rule but that kind of reeked of it a little bit.
    No worries mate. He splashed out a bit on the back of the Bale money too if memory serves me right. But yeah, the Sissoko one was their record signing. Kinda surprised me a bit as well tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Oh, bore off would you.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    Either in January or next summer we'll see Ilori, Sakho, Bogdan, Manninger, Wisdom, and Markovic go (as well as our more senior U23 players like Dunn, Jones). Given that we won't have as many games, I think our squad is big enough to not need any additions in January.
    It's quietly satisfying to think that for the first time in while our squad no longer needs an overhaul and that only real quality will improve what we already have.

If you ask yourself what do we need to improve this team or squad at the moment, there is not much to wish for in January. Personally I want to see some of the youngsters get more game time.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    If you ask yourself what do we need to improve this team or squad at the moment, there is not much to wish for in January.
    Depends on who you talk to, that one.

Personally, I'd like to see a forward/wide forward that suits our high tempo game. Outside of that I think we're in good shape.

Depends on who you talk to, that one.

Personally, I'd like to see a forward/wide forward that suits our high tempo game. Outside of that I think we're in good shape.
    To sit on the bench or to replace one of the front three?

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    To sit on the bench or to replace one of the front three?
    To push the front three I guess. Cover for Mané as well.