Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 90 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 2678

Thread: More Tea Please, Brexit and the Stiff Upper Lip 2

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    No you are living in a dream world organised by the rw press. You are agreeing with handing over power to an unelected rich elite in this country that wants to turn the UK into Singapore. Im guessing you are either of the right or extreme left.
    brilliant
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyLove View Post
    Unless we stump up some cash, there will be nothing offered to us within the two year time frame. We will then be left with the nightmare WTO trade option, and the country grinds to a halt. We literally have no cards to play.
    Apart from that inconvenient point though.....we'll be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    I've thought from day one it would be WTO rules.

It's certainly more likely than a complex new deal.

There'll be some pain...but world will not end.

Trade will find a way of getting done...it always does.
    No it won't but neither should we be appreciative of not having an actual apocalypse as a result of a referendum

But its subjective in what you say in all seriousness, for some people it really is disastrous of course depending on trade, industry they are in etc so this dismissive the world isn't going to end and there will be some pain, is a grand rather lazy statement being bandied about here and there, and for those who will feel very real life impacting pain as a result of Brexit it can be inadvertently hurtful.

Its a difficult topic, we know its happening, but we shouldn't down play potentially huge impacts being felt already in certain industries and actual real people who are going through turmoil on their own personal situations, especially our EU citizens for example

There's a really simple solution to the money thing.

Pay it

Quote Originally Posted by dookar View Post
    There's a really simple solution to the money thing.

Pay it
    Just as soon as they sign off their accounts, proving they believe their own numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Luises-Finger View Post
    Just as soon as they sign off their accounts, proving they believe their own numbers.
    The numbers being thrown around are obviously nonsense. But we do owe something and we should pay it.

As always, Pete North puts it much better than I could

http://peterjnorth.blogspot.co.uk/20...ld-pay-it.html

Surprised Macron is heading to Berlin on his first full day in the job. Is this normal?

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    Surprised Macron is heading to Berlin on his first full day in the job. Is this normal?
    It is now that Merkel runs France.

His mother summoned him.

Now he's elected he needs instructions from his financial overlords.

I really enjoyed this article in the New Statesman. Another insight into the UK-Germany relationship.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-should-pay-it

I am not sure I like being called an island ape though! I wonder if such articles on UK historical thinking are found in Europe. I feel like we are always told to look at it from the view of the EU and its states. I am not convinced there is an effort to do the opposite.

And it begins. Funny form a weakened position we are doing what I would have hoped we would-

- follow their timeline as it is a rod for their own back
    - go in apparently weaker to remove their incentive for punishment

I just hope that as Mervyn King said, we spend substantial time on planning on 'no deal' as that is in our hands and we cannot guarantee what the EU negotiations will bring.

And it begins. Funny form a weakened position we are doing what I would have hoped we would-

- follow their timeline as it is a rod for their own back
    - go in apparently weaker to remove their incentive for punishment

I just hope that as Mervyn King said, we spend substantial time on planning on 'no deal' as that is in our hands and we cannot guarantee what the EU negotiations will bring.
    How does that work?

had enough of summer now, can we go back to rain and cold please.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    It's hot man.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    It's hot man.
    23C at almost 1 in the morning in Britain. **** that, I want to sleep.

23C at almost 1 in the morning in Britain. **** that, I want to sleep.
    Fan is blowing hot air, all windows open my little one is going nuts.
    ?

Fan is blowing hot air, all windows open my little one is going nuts.
    one trick that usually works is get a plastic bottle, about 3/4 fill it with water and freeze it, then when it's frozen solid put it in front of the fan so the fan blows air past the cold bottle, just be careful where you put the bottle as it will drip a lot of condensation,

obviously that might not do you much good right now but in future you can have them ready in the freezer since you're not actually going to be drinking them you can just keep refreezing them as needed

one trick that usually works is get a plastic bottle, about 3/4 fill it with water and freeze it, then when it's frozen solid put it in front of the fan so the fan blows air past the cold bottle, just be careful where you put the bottle as it will drip a lot of condensation,

obviously that might not do you much good right now but in future you can have them ready in the freezer since you're not actually going to be drinking them you can just keep refreezing them as needed
    Thanks for the tip mate. I'll try it tomorrow.
    ?

Ha! Just been painting our garage door. Had to stop. Thought Id get it finished before the sun moved round. Oh my god. I like 22 to 28 degrees even with our humidity. You can work in it and sun worship. But 32+ with our humidity is not good. If yre holiday in it its ok. Our daughter has been in Vietnam/Cambodia in 38 with 80% humidity! I remember being in Delhi in the 1980s in May and it was 46 degrees with 90% humidity..thats the worst Ive ever felt in heat.

Yes Ive heard about that one. Good tip. Funny how more tea its Brexit is turning into a weather thread! Ha! Its the EU's fault...

Thanks for the tip mate. I'll try it tomorrow.
    Another tip is if you have a loft with 'eves' ventilation, then opening the hatch allows hot air to rise out of the living space and get blown away.

Note: if you have poor ventilation (or no cross ventilation) up there it might not work.

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Yes Ive heard about that one. Good tip. Funny how more tea its Brexit is turning into a weather thread! Ha! Its the EU's fault...
    Nah not the EU, but the Tories and UKIP blow enough hot air to warm anything up.

That hard Brexit nonsense is getting softer and softer all the time in reality.

May will do as she is told now, the mandate ever changing as her position is now more that of a patsy while a realistic successor is found.

It's quite funny really in one sense, they can't negotiate with just 10 DUP officials effectively, so its going to be a free for all unless May does what she is told, i.e. softer and softer Brexit, more voices involved including the opposition to negotiate, then MP's delaying matters if their will isn't being listened to.

It makes the narrow decision to leave look even more silly now really, it always was a game with in house Tory fighting and personal agendas with Farage and co leaping in and driving unwholesome campaigns, now we are here at the beginning of negotiations we have a minority run government wobbling everywhere and even less strength to negotiate matters coming from an already weak starting point.

It will possibly have become an entirely pointless referendum and leave won't mean leave

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    That hard Brexit nonsense is getting softer and softer all the time in reality.

May will do as she is told now, the mandate ever changing as her position is now more that of a patsy while a realistic successor is found.

It's quite funny really in one sense, they can't negotiate with just 10 DUP officials effectively, so its going to be a free for all unless May does what she is told, i.e. softer and softer Brexit, more voices involved including the opposition to negotiate, then MP's delaying matters if their will isn't being listened to.

It makes the narrow decision to leave look even more silly now really, it always was a game with in house Tory fighting and personal agendas with Farage and co leaping in and driving unwholesome campaigns, now we are here at the beginning of negotiations we have a minority run government wobbling everywhere and even less strength to negotiate matters coming from an already weak starting point.

It will possibly have become an entirely pointless referendum and leave won't mean leave
    I think the opposite is true.

If she can get the NI situation, the pressure will be on from her supporters to leave the single market and Customs Union.

She'll try to push that through...and fail.

Labour will then get a go...and fail because they haven't got the votss.

We'll be back to the polls within 12 months.

What happens then is anyone's guess.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

If she can get the NI situation, the pressure will be on from her supporters to leave the single market and Customs Union.

Both parties were claiming they will leave the EU Single Market & Customs Union. However, and this is related to both parties, they may try to negotiate a version that could be described as a Custom's Union but it is likely it won't be the same as the pre-brexit customs union. As it is a not a binary choice between the current situation and WTO rules.

All of that is pretty much irrelevant for Europe though, just an internal problem for the UK, it is pretty ridiculous to believe that EU is going to wait until some random tories get their existential issues on order.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Both parties were claiming they will leave the EU Single Market & Customs Union. However, and this is related to both parties, they may try to negotiate a version that could be described as a Custom's Union but it is likely it won't be the same as the pre-brexit customs union. As it is a not a binary choice between the current situation and WTO rules.
    why the EU would do something like that though?

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    why the EU would do something like that though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    All of that is pretty much irrelevant for Europe though, just an internal problem for the UK, it is pretty ridiculous to believe that EU is going to wait until some random tories get their existential issues on order.
    I'm not expecting Europe to wait...negotiations will continue...or not...and time will eventually run out for everyone.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

I'm not expecting Europe to wait...negotiations will continue...or not...and time will eventually run out for everyone.
    Yes, the time will run out but what I am saying is what is happening in the UK internally is rather irrelevant in the outcome of the negotiations. I guess what the EU could do is to say to the UK what they are willing to offer to them, as it is pretty clear who hold the cards here, but of course there is a good reason why they are not doing that, and that's because they want to sort out other stuff first.