Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Choosing Perma-Bans, Bans, Infractions

1. #1 Default Choosing Perma-Bans, Bans, Infractions 
    Alpha Papa is online now Academy prospect
    Hi,

So I think everyone is pretty aware about the types of things that get you banned/infracted on here. I wondered about what policies etc you moderators have to apply.

I'm not feeling particularly aggrieved about anything right now, but my personal view is that the overall approach is far far to heavily weighed in terms of swear words etc leading to heavy bans, but casual highly offensive comments in terms of race, religion, sexuality etc often just get posts edited or basic infractions.

For example, I've reported users in Off-Topic a few times recently, one for saying he couldn't wait for "Trump and Putin to get together and demolish Syria and Iraq" and the other for posting links to articles from Neo-Nazi websites. Both had posts edited but nothing further On the other hand I've seen someone used the c-word, and someone have a swear word in their usernames... both banned.

Again, personal view, but I reckon the examples above re war/facism etc far more offensive than swear words. Do the mods think they've got the balance right - or probably more accurately the people at the club setting the rules have got the balance right?
    Last edited by Alpha Papa; 21-12-16 at 15:50.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Making a call on swear words is easy, the use of the c word in any form is specifically against the Ts and Cs and attracts an instant 7 day ban.

Making a call on the other kinds of things you refer to requires more judgement and personally I try to assess whether or not the post was made with purposeful malice and intent or whether its a throw away comment the poster doesn't mean to be taken literally. Certainly if I spot a trend from individual users I'll issue points and ultimately bans, but one off stupidity is harder to call. I guess it could be argued that intent is irrelevant and points/bans should ge automatically applied to posts we may be tempted just to edit, but thats the individual mods call.

Perma bans arent handed out as often as you may think and as mods we cant do it, only the top level admin within the club can do that. Also be aware of taking users claims that they got banned for X too much at face value, most bans result from an accumulation of points for a series of transgressions issued before previous points have expired, accumulated points = ban.
    Last edited by kickthetyres; 22-12-16 at 14:02.

Alpha Papa is online now Academy prospect
    Yeah - I guess my point about that instant 7 day ban is that someone has chosen that as a particularly bad thing in the Ts and Cs. Whereas in my view it's really not the end of the world - and certainly not against any laws/regulations (unlike hate speech).

Any list of who is banned on here, some posters havnt been on here in ages just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Any list of who is banned on here, some posters havnt been on here in ages just wondering.
    Question - why do people need a list of banned people....

If they are banned - they ain't posting

and then again

From the op - it sounds like he likes reporting people, or is easily offended, take your pick......

Everyone knows what pushes the mods boats and buttons, leave them to get on with it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Papa View Post
    Again, personal view, but I reckon the examples above re war/facism etc far more offensive than swear words. Do the mods think they've got the balance right - or probably more accurately the people at the club setting the rules have got the balance right?
    Is there really anyone who runs the site actually setting policy anymore.

My impression is that moderation is solely determined by the moderators themselves since Matt left, and there really isn't and other authority but them left to determine what is or isn't offensive enough to either be removed or have the poster suitable penalised.

Have the posting guidelines been amended by anyone at the "club", for want of a better phrase, since he moved on?
    Last edited by FIOS; 22-12-16 at 21:47.

Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Is there really anyone who runs the site actually setting policy anymore.

My impression is that moderation is solely determined by the moderators themselves since Matt left, and there really isn't and other authority but them left to determine what is or isn't offensive enough to either be removed or have the poster suitable penalised.

Have the posting guidelines been amended by anyone at the "club", for want of a better phrase, since he moved on?
    Notice that the Forum User Guide, put into all forums as a sticky in January 2016 came from the LFC Digital Media Dept. They might not speak directly to users on the forums but they monitor them, and us. They speak with us when they feel it's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    Notice that the Forum User Guide, put into all forums as a sticky in January 2016 came from the LFC Digital Media Dept. They might not speak directly to users on the forums but they monitor them, and us. They speak with us when they feel it's necessary.
    Great stuff.

So when I asked if there a higher authority that could deal with an issue about removing offensive posts, and you said no it was the moderation team, what you meant was yes the digital media dept?

Great stuff.

So when I asked if there a higher authority that could deal with an issue about removing offensive posts, and you said no it was the moderation team, what you meant was yes the digital media dept?
    No, they don't get involved in individual moderating decisions.

No, they don't get involved in individual moderating decisions.
    So they just set the guidelines but don't get involved in enforcing policy and guidelines? Is that what you mean?

So they just set the guidelines but don't get involved in enforcing policy and guidelines? Is that what you mean?
    They leave individual judgements to those of us who follow the forums daily and can make the calls based upon the knowledge and experience we've gained. That's how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post

and then again

From the op - it sounds like he likes reporting people, or is easily offended, take your pick......

Everyone knows what pushes the mods boats and buttons, leave them to get on with it.....
    By and large, the Mods do a fair enough job.
    Just like Refs at a game, there are a set of rules to follow, and as Mods are humans, each may interpret those rules slightly differently. It's no big deal, really.

We get to know them, and we just roll on with it.

They leave individual judgements to those of us who follow the forums daily and can make the calls based upon the knowledge and experience we've gained. That's how it works.
    So then the only ones who determine whether the balance is right, as per Alpha's question, is the moderation team.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    By and large, the Mods do a fair enough job.
    Just like Refs at a game, there are a set of rules to follow, and as Mods are humans, each may interpret those rules slightly differently. It's no big deal, really.

We get to know them, and we just roll on with it.
    Damn Right

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    So calling someone the c-word is a worse offence than posting neo-Nazi content?

MickeyLove is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    I've seen highly offensive racist content on here result in perms bans and also police action.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyLove View Post
    I've seen highly offensive racist content on here result in perms bans and also police action.
    Christ, I remember that one fella who spammed the hell out of the forum late one night.

He was definitely charged as I remember reading it months later in the echo.

Christ, suppose its a good thing myself and Cered are long gone so!!
    - Revive Once Again -

Is it permitted to ask if Coach791 is on a permanent ban? His last post was a month back, and I see that his status is simply 'Banned.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post

and then again

It would be nice to know if posters are banned or just don't bother any more.

It would be nice to know if posters are banned or just don't bother any more.
    There's often a comment to the effect of 'whatever happened to (whatisname)... hasn't been in here for ever so long.'

We do make a connection with some posters, and miss them when they vanish. TedMosby made it plain why he was leaving.... and KingKirky's brother came in to tell us the sad news.
    But much of the time we just scratch out heads and wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    There's often a comment to the effect of 'whatever happened to (whatisname)... hasn't been in here for ever so long.'

We do make a connection with some posters, and miss them when they vanish. TedMosby made it plain why he was leaving.... and KingKirky's brother came in to tell us the sad news.
    But much of the time we just scratch out heads and wonder.
    Exactly, I knew bobs boots from the home page forum hasn't been on since before Xmas.

Exactly, I knew bobs boots from the home page forum hasn't been on since before Xmas.
    Ah, yes! Geez.