Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think we're entering a new 'golden age' for English Football?

Quote Originally Posted by spikop View Post
    Now that coefficients are pretty much irrelevant to having 4 automatic qualifiers, I sincerely hope that every english team (except LFC obviously) get dumped into the Europa....every season.
    That would be great. Everton, Arsenal, United, City, Chelsea and Spurs duking it out in the EL.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by aGothAndaJock View Post
    Fair enough but I can definitely see it. For a number of reasons -

*There are 5 English Clubs - more than ever before.
    *All 5 Clubs have World Class managers - 4 of which are about to start their 2nd full seasons in charge.
    *3 of Barca, PSG, Dortmund, Real, Bayern and Juventus will finish 2nd in the groups.
    *Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford and Anfield have the European pedigree than can make the difference.
    * Liverpool, Utd and Man City have favourable draws. All look like the strongest team in their groups.

*Spurs are seen as the least likeliest, yet they're very capable.

The last two seasons Man City have made the semis and Leicester got to the Quarter Finals. City should have got to the last 8 last season too.
    Dont get me wrong i'd absolutely love to be wrong haha i started following footy around 06 and my fondest memories are of seeing English sides dominate on the European stage. I just think with money playing the role that it does now and European competition seemingly making it easier for Europe's top clubs to stay ahead that we won't see English sides dominate like they previously did. I just cant see the top four or five Euro teams dropping off too much. I think out of all the premier league sides City will have the biggest impact on European competition in the next 3 to 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbr00k View Post
    Dont get me wrong i'd absolutely love to be wrong haha i started following footy around 06 and my fondest memories are of seeing English sides dominate on the European stage. I just think with money playing the role that it does now and European competition seemingly making it easier for Europe's top clubs to stay ahead that we won't see English sides dominate like they previously did. I just cant see the top four or five Euro teams dropping off too much. I think out of all the premier league sides City will have the biggest impact on European competition in the next 3 to 5 years.
    I think Utd, Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea are all capable of reaching the standards of say Juventus and Atletico.

This is the new Premier League, and it's about to explode! Ha. No, just to summarize I predict that the English Clubs will 'strike back' - as Jurgen would say - in Europe this season.

Spurs showing the strength of the Premier League last night. Apart from us, everyone won and performed very well.

The English Clubs are coming!

Spurs showing the strength of the Premier League last night. Apart from us, everyone won and performed very well.

spurs could have easily got beat , auba nowhere near offisde
    Eagle Face Moron

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    Ye, you're right, Spurs would have lost if they conceded 3 more goals. **** me

Ye, you're right, Spurs would have lost if they conceded 3 more goals. **** me
    you're being very simplistic haha don't act stupid, it was 2-1 and dortund get a goal chopped off wrongly and were in the ascendency
    Eagle Face Moron

Yes, they actually deserved to get something from the game, that goal was a beauty too.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    Yes, they actually deserved to get something from the game, that goal was a beauty too.
    Yeah it was a strange game. Dortmund had most of the ball. I think Harry Kane's importance to that side surpasses when Bale was there.

you're being very simplistic haha don't act stupid, it was 2-1 and dortund get a goal chopped off wrongly and were in the ascendency
    Yeah but what's your point? Mine is that it was a cracking win for Spurs yesterday. One few expected. I think it my proves my point that English clubs are going to be stronger this year than they have been for a long time. So again, what's yours?

Liverdinner is offline Posts With His Faace

Well, Dortmund were robbed of two goals that weren't offside and you could argue that Kane's first was a foul

So all it shows is that they got lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    Well, Dortmund were robbed of two goals that weren't offside and you could argue that Kane's first was a foul

So all it shows is that they got lucky
    Most teams need an element of luck to beat a team as good as Dortmund. The fact is Spurs are improving in Europe.

Yeah but what's your point? Mine is that it was a cracking win for Spurs yesterday. One few expected. I think it my proves my point that English clubs are going to be stronger this year than they have been for a long time. So again, what's yours?
    it was a good victory but you used it to demean our performance , if we had that luck last night i think we'd have won too
    Eagle Face Moron

Golden age for English football?

only in bank balances of clubs and players and TV companies.

Or do you mean on the pitch? No I dont think so. Players paid way too much and not hungry enough.

Minimum requirement for this season is at least 2 in semis.

Liverdinner is offline Posts With His Faace
    Most teams need an element of luck to beat a team as good as Dortmund. The fact is Spurs are improving in Europe.
    Ha 'an element'?

And Id kill for their defence. Compared with theirs ours is nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    And Id kill for their defence. Compared with theirs ours is nowhere.
    Not at the moment. I think we'll improve as the season goes on.

it was a good victory but you used it to demean our performance , if we had that luck last night i think we'd have won too
    That was not my intention. But, reading back I can see how it was read that way. My argument within this thread is I think Prem Clubs are about to become a major force in Europe again. That's why I mentioned Spurs' win, because it was the highlight for the English Clubs on Matchday 1.

As for Liverpool, I thought we played very well on our Champions League return. Gave a good account of ourselves and will improve as the tournament goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Golden age for English football?

only in bank balances of clubs and players and TV companies.

Or do you mean on the pitch? No I dont think so. Players paid way too much and not hungry enough.

Minimum requirement for this season is at least 2 in semis.
    Which would be the first time that's happened since 2009. Which could signal the start of a new Golden Age!
    Last edited by aGothAndaJock; 14-9-17 at 15:54.

I doubt it and we certainly aren't contributing... 5 PL CL clubs and yet we are the one club that couldn't win.... Just can't make it up... Maddening

Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    I doubt it and we certainly aren't contributing... 5 PL CL clubs and yet we are the one club that couldn't win.... Just can't make it up
    you could make it up.
    Eagle Face Moron

Not at the moment. I think we'll improve as the season goes on.

That was not my intention. But, reading back I can see how it was read that way. My argument within this thread is I think Prem Clubs are about to become a major force in Europe again. That's why I mentioned Spurs' win, because it was the highlight for the English Clubs on Matchday 1.

As for Liverpool, I thought we played very well on our Champions League return. Gave a good account of ourselves and will improve as the tournament goes on.
    A judgement of what can happen is usually based on what has gone on before so with no changes in defence of central MF i can see us replicating any one of the last 4 seasons by conceding at least 40 goals thereby just scraping 4th or just missing out..rather like Arsenal of recent seasons before last.

Which would be the first time that's happened since 2009. Which could signal the start of a new Golden Age!
    I think one is possible..probably one of the manchesters or Chelsea.

a golden age is not being an also ran, its winning things. only if English clubs win a few CLs can it be a golden age as anything else is a silver or bronze age

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    :FP:

Not at the moment.
    What on earth are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    What on earth are you talking about?
    Read the thread. Yes, at the moment our defence is worse than Spurs. But I think we will improve as the season goes on.

Read the thread. Yes, at the moment our defence is worse than Spurs. But I think we will improve as the season goes on.
    You think our defence will improve to the point that it is better than Spurs?

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Obviously didn't see Tottenham's game to the extent some have in order to conclude they were lucky, could have lost etc... as I was watching my own team.

The stats looked in Dortmund's favour. Then again if people just looked at the stats from our game, they would have seen Sevilla had more possession, so might have concluded we deserved to lose, when in fact it was the opposite.

If you are going to use Tottenham deserve to lose, you have to use we deserved to win. If you are going to us the luck game, then we had bad luck, the penalty don't hit the post and goes in and we go in 2 goals up at half time, a different game then.

It's results that win things anyway. 4 English teams got results. Though only one game in, so too early to talking about English clubs dominating again. If any English club wins the competition by luck, they've still won it. Every team that wins a competition could have the luck line thrown towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    yet we are the one club that couldn't win.... Just can't make it up..
    We had the second most difficult opponents of the five clubs, so if you were going to say before the games one club don't win and to make up who, it would be Tottenham and then us. Anyway it's one game only. Let's look at the five clubs again after the group stage and see who is where. If we are judging now, then we are in a qualifying position anyway.

It's one game though, if we won 5-0 or something, it would be it's too early to talk about it being a good campaign for us and too early to talk about English clubs dominating and all five winning.

One of last years finalists started their group stage with a home draw against Sevilla, and went on to top the group at the end of the Group Stage. So one game is too early.
    YNWA

City looked the best equipped, their firepower is tremendous. They've had a few years experiencing it and will go far, I think Manchester United got incredibly lucky with the draw and will get found out. United finished 6th last year for a reason, and they are still short despite all the money spent.

The campaign will get harder for Chelsea, Spurs could be the dark horses here...

Real Madrid to win it...or us

No.

Seen a few posts suggesting Chelsea will struggle, I can't believe I read that stuff. Chelsea have a very good side and will give anybody a game.