Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think we're entering a new 'golden age' for English Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    You think our defence will improve to the point that it is better than Spurs?
    No. Just that we'll improve. How about expressing what you think about the topic instead of picking holes in what other people say? Loser.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    Obviously didn't see Tottenham's game to the extent some have in order to conclude they were lucky, could have lost etc... as I was watching my own team.

The stats looked in Dortmund's favour. Then again if people just looked at the stats from our game, they would have seen Sevilla had more possession, so might have concluded we deserved to lose, when in fact it was the opposite.

If you are going to use Tottenham deserve to lose, you have to use we deserved to win. If you are going to us the luck game, then we had bad luck, the penalty don't hit the post and goes in and we go in 2 goals up at half time, a different game then.

It's results that win things anyway. 4 English teams got results. Though only one game in, so too early to talking about English clubs dominating again. If any English club wins the competition by luck, they've still won it. Every team that wins a competition could have the luck line thrown towards it.

We had the second most difficult opponents of the five clubs, so if you were going to say before the games one club don't win and to make up who, it would be Tottenham and then us. Anyway it's one game only. Let's look at the five clubs again after the group stage and see who is where. If we are judging now, then we are in a qualifying position anyway.

It's one game though, if we won 5-0 or something, it would be it's too early to talk about it being a good campaign for us and too early to talk about English clubs dominating and all five winning.

One of last years finalists started their group stage with a home draw against Sevilla, and went on to top the group at the end of the Group Stage. So one game is too early.
    Good post. Drawing at home to Sevilla after creating a lot more chances is a decent start to the campaign for me. Looking forward to the away game.

Quote Originally Posted by aGothAndaJock View Post
    Ridiculous title but hear me out,

From 2005 - 2012 Liverpool won the CL and got to another final. Chelsea won it and got to another final. Man Utd won it and lost 2 finals. Even Arsenal got to a final. We had an all English final. Of course it's not the dominance of the late 70's, early 80's but I think we're about to see English teams in the Champions League Final again.

Simply because all the top 6 have world class managers, it's inevitable that that top 4 at the end of the season will be so strong I can just see the English teams becoming a big force in the Champions League again. The fact that Arsenal and Man Utd are in 5th and 6th after 20 games whilst under the guidance of 2 of the most experienced Premier League managers IMO is testament to how strong this league is becoming. Klopp, Conte and Guardiola are all super managers in their native leagues and Pochettino's rise starting from Southampton is phenomenal.

Messi, Ronaldo and Bayern will have something to say, **** me, I'm not deluded, but we haven't had an English team in the final of the CL since Chelsea in 2012 - which much like our run in 2005 was jammy as hell - and although they got to the semi's in 2014 they never looked like going through against Atletico. I just personally think that Klopp's Liverpool, Conte's Chelsea and 2 from the rest of City, Arsenal, Utd or Spurs will have a good crack at the Champions League next season and beyond.

What do you all think?
    English clubs used to conquer Europe quite a few years ago why their style of play was considered anachronistic by some i.e. hoof ..etc - and I am not talking about us as our football brand was exceptional by any standards...
    But still teams like Nottingham or Aston Villa could bring success with honest football and consistent application of the basics..
    Nowadays England has 2 doped teams in MC and Chelsea that normally should cease to exist as they are growing with unlawful means. The fact that the governing bodies turn a blind eye , as with PSG as well is there to demonstrate that football is basically not a sport any more , but a money splashing exercise to satisfy the ego of corrupt oligarchs and make idiotic fans believe that their team have achieved some sort of athletic glory...
    It is true! ... City fans for example are truly imbecile ...
    Each and every one of them could achieve some trophies if they had available 1 billion pounds to spend over 4 years . How on earth something that absolutely anyone can do is considered an achievement is beyond me... This simple notion is not mentioned by any journalist or pundit anywhere...
    I think the whole of Europe and half of England should boycott all competitions and let PSG, Chelsea and Man City play between them so that the rest of the world can see whose doping substance works better!!!

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    No. Just that we'll improve. How about expressing what you think about the topic instead of picking holes in what other people say? Loser.
    I think I would kill for us to have Spurs defence as they are man for man far superior to ours.

I also think there's no chance in hell our defence will improve if we stick with the current personnel.

Happy now?

I think I would kill for us to have Spurs defence as they are man for man far superior to ours.

I also think there's no chance in hell our defence will improve if we stick with the current personnel.

Happy now?
    Its good to read that you do actually have opinions Ganymede!! Even one that I agree with. But why so resentful in giving it? After all its not a commodity that is ever gong to be scarce, particularly here.
    I think too that the Spurs defence would totally made our team in title contenders/winners even.
    We have to hope, if not believe, that our defence will improve as the season goes on to be at least as 'sound' as last season (City aside). Then there is January and surely Klopp will not let it pass without testing Southampton's will (if not patience) again.

Happy now?
    Not really. When I said topic, I meant the original post

Matip - Gomez partnership for me. No brainer.

Big win for Chelsea. A sign of things to come.

I think English clubs are very, very strong right now.

City, Utd and Chelsea just buy, buy, buy , Spurs are growing rapidly as a team and Liverpoolís attack will scare anybody. Obviously Klopp has a lot to do to get us to a level where we can challenge but I can defo see the other four going a long way in the CL this season.

Bayern , Juventus and Barca are very average compared to their other sides of the last 10 years, Atletico look more vulnerable than previously, only Real Madrid and PSG look strong enough to compete at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    I think English clubs are very, very strong right now.

City, Utd and Chelsea just buy, buy, buy , Spurs are growing rapidly as a team and Liverpoolís attack will scare anybody. Obviously Klopp has a lot to do to get us to a level where we can challenge but I can defo see the other four going a long way in the CL this season.

Bayern , Juventus and Barca are very average compared to their other sides of the last 10 years, Atletico look more vulnerable than previously, only Real Madrid and PSG look strong enough to compete at this moment.
    Ancelotti sacked. Exactly my thoughts, English clubs are coming strong. Liverpool will compete in the Champions League. We are just getting warmed up.

Apart from the Scum, I do want all the English teams to do well. Champions league has become a bit of a Spanish old boys club in recent years. Real and UEFA seemed to be joined at the hip.

We scraped through in 2005 from the group stages, but then went onto winning the damn thing!

All teams top of their groups.

and unbeaten!

i hate all the other english clubs to be fair hope they fail miserably
    Eagle Face Moron

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    unfortunately a golden age in football due to the whacky sums paid out for players.

Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    unfortunately a golden age in football due to the whacky sums paid out for players.
    That's obviously a big part of it, but then again, other European clubs have spent large amounts of money over the past few seasons too.

In my opinion, the calibre of manager now in charge at our top clubs is far greater than it was a couple of seasons back. This will play a part in both results on the pitch (in Europe) and in the transfer market. To have the likes of Conte, Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho and Pochettino managing in the same league is impressive but at the same time daunting, as domestically it'll be far more difficult for Liverpool FC to be successful.

A big part of English sides failures in Europe over recent years has been their lack of tactical nous. You can throw all the money you want at players, but if you're poor on the ball, unable to adapt and strategically unsound, that will only help so much. With the above managers now on the touchline I expect these failures to become a thing of the past, and believe that a couple of English teams will get to the latter stages of the CL this season.

Quote Originally Posted by longstebe View Post
    All teams top of their groups.
    In fairness, I'd expect us and United to blitz our groups - both of us are by far and away the biggest sides in our respective groups. Chelsea and City have thrown money around and as a result, they're doing well. The only really impressive ones are Spurs. Didn't expect them to take 4 points off Dortmund & Real at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    That's obviously a big part of it, but then again, other European clubs have spent large amounts of money over the past few seasons too. .
    Indeed, and those teams will be fighting it out for the CL come March-May. I think we all fully expect Real, PSG, Barca, Juve, Bayern, United, City and Chelsea to be in the QFs/SFs.

Big one tonight.

LFC get the job done, Spurs, slay at Wembley. Man City take apart a very good Napoli side. Chelsea got beat yesterday but will go through and Utd have maximum points. It's looking very good for the English sides.

Don't know about golden age, but we look better than we've done for quite a few years.
    YNWA

Alpha Papa is online now Academy prospect
    Yep.

I can't necessarily see one of the English teams winning it - but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 3 or 4 in the quarter and a couple in the semis.

Any of the English clubs could go on to win it. We're probably the least likely, but if we hit a purple patch during the knockouts, you never know.

Wouldn't be surprised to see both manchester clubs in the final.

Liverpool’s 23 goals in the Group Stage is a new record for an English team.

4 English teams top of their groups, 5 teams in the last 16 for the first time ever and that will remain atleast until a Premier League club wins the Europa League again.

Bountiful, bountiful times for English Football.
    Last edited by aGothAndaJock; 7-12-17 at 23:26.

It is looking good for English teams so far, that being the operative word.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Liverpool’s 23 goals in the Group Stage is a new record for an English team.

4 English teams top of their groups, 5 teams in the last 16 for the first time ever and that will remain atleast until an Premier League club wins the Europa League again.

Bountiful, bountiful times for English Football.
    tbh helped by some very easy groups. i wouldn't read too much into it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    tbh helped by some very easy groups. i wouldn't read too much into it at all.
    Spurs wasn't really that easy

I think it's probably half the quarter finalists will be from England

A lot of this has to do with the Manchester clubs spending ridiculous amounts of money though to be fair

Probably already been said - but there is nothing 'English' about it anymore.

Owners, Managers, Players, Sponsors - all 'foreign' these days.
    Alf Garnett

Quote Originally Posted by PanicStations View Post
    Probably already been said - but there is nothing 'English' about it anymore.

Owners, Managers, Players, Sponsors - all 'foreign' these days.
    Alf Garnett
    It's being played in England.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdiggerman View Post
    Spurs wasn't really that easy

I think it's probably half the quarter finalists will be from England

A lot of this has to do with the Manchester clubs spending ridiculous amounts of money though to be fair
    sorry, im not fussed about spuds at all. the others took care of themselves as they should have done.

Apart from Spurs the other groups didnít offer that much of a threat and we all expected the other 4 English teams to qualify.

We will know a lot more about our English clubs when it comes to the quarterfinals. Depends on how many of the 5 make it there. If all 5 make it then that would be brilliant. I would also like an English team to try and win the Europa league every season. With our league being so difficult in terms of Top 4 places, some of the teams should be doing all they can to win the Europa league. Would be nice to have 5 teams every years in the champions league. Was getting a bit sick of the Spanish dominance in recent years. Hope the English teams can now stamp their authority a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-red View Post
    Apart from Spurs the other groups didn’t offer that much of a threat and we all expected the other 4 English teams to qualify.

We will know a lot more about our English clubs when it comes to the quarterfinals. Depends on how many of the 5 make it there. If all 5 make it then that would be brilliant. I would also like an English team to try and win the Europa league every season. With our league being so difficult in terms of Top 4 places, some of the teams should be doing all they can to win the Europa league. Would be nice to have 5 teams every years in the champions league. Was getting a bit sick of the Spanish dominance in recent years. Hope the English teams can now stamp their authority a bit.
    one thing we can be sure of, there will be some big clubs going out next round, its inevitable with how the pots worked out.