Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think we're entering a new 'golden age' for English Football?

1. #1 euro_cup Do you think we're entering a new 'golden age' for English Football? 
    Ridiculous title but hear me out,

From 2005 - 2012 Liverpool won the CL and got to another final. Chelsea won it and got to another final. Man Utd won it and lost 2 finals. Even Arsenal got to a final. We had an all English final. Of course it's not the dominance of the late 70's, early 80's but I think we're about to see English teams in the Champions League Final again.

Simply because all the top 6 have world class managers, it's inevitable that that top 4 at the end of the season will be so strong I can just see the English teams becoming a big force in the Champions League again. The fact that Arsenal and Man Utd are in 5th and 6th after 20 games whilst under the guidance of 2 of the most experienced Premier League managers IMO is testament to how strong this league is becoming. Klopp, Conte and Guardiola are all super managers in their native leagues and Pochettino's rise starting from Southampton is phenomenal.

Messi, Ronaldo and Bayern will have something to say, **** me, I'm not deluded, but we haven't had an English team in the final of the CL since Chelsea in 2012 - which much like our run in 2005 was jammy as hell - and although they got to the semi's in 2014 they never looked like going through against Atletico. I just personally think that Klopp's Liverpool, Conte's Chelsea and 2 from the rest of City, Arsenal, Utd or Spurs will have a good crack at the Champions League next season and beyond.

What do you all think?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I think these managers have previously managed already magnificent teams, and are now truly being tested.

I don't think any of us would go too far, maybe the semis.

We should make CL this year. Then next season we have to maintain form while in Europe, as we try to maintain our status as a top 4 team.

Onwards from there is CL progression. Is Klopp such a troubadour that we'll quickly win the league followed by quickly getting to a final?

That would be nuts.

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Hopefully, but I think the standard is really meh at the moment.

I think our press are bored of expectation management so have reverted back to tomhyping anything and everything with a British passport.

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    When isn't it the golden age for "the best league in the world"?

Quote Originally Posted by aGothAndaJock View Post
    Ridiculous title but hear me out,

From 2005 - 2012 Liverpool won the CL and got to another final. Chelsea won it and got to another final. Man Utd won it and lost 2 finals. Even Arsenal got to a final. We had an all English final. Of course it's not the dominance of the late 70's, early 80's but I think we're about to see English teams in the Champions League Final again.

Simply because all the top 6 have world class managers, it's inevitable that that top 4 at the end of the season will be so strong I can just see the English teams becoming a big force in the Champions League again. The fact that Arsenal and Man Utd are in 5th and 6th after 20 games whilst under the guidance of 2 of the most experienced Premier League managers IMO is testament to how strong this league is becoming. Klopp, Conte and Guardiola are all super managers in their native leagues and Pochettino's rise starting from Southampton is phenomenal.

Messi, Ronaldo and Bayern will have something to say, **** me, I'm not deluded, but we haven't had an English team in the final of the CL since Chelsea in 2012 - which much like our run in 2005 was jammy as hell - and although they got to the semi's in 2014 they never looked like going through against Atletico. I just personally think that Klopp's Liverpool, Conte's Chelsea and 2 from the rest of City, Arsenal, Utd or Spurs will have a good crack at the Champions League next season and beyond.

What do you all think?
    No we're not entering a golden age for English football. We are instead in by a few years at its slow decline. Thats been going on since around 1970 but over the years 2006 to now its accelerated. The game is now about money not talent and TV money has meant the most mediocre players are on astronomical salaries plus the young players who are paid way too much.

Add to that the fact the national manager has less than 30% of the PL players to choose from and are going down the toilet fast. Brexit may make a difference but with v little invested in academies it'll take years. Even our '98 WC squad and '96 Euro squad are vastly superior to anything we have now never mind the immense talent in the '66 and '70 squads. In terms of club football I cant see a repeat of 2005 to 2011 coming anytime soon because there is no loyalty now. We will not see another Fergie or Wenger as managers swap and change where money is most lucrative.

Red-And-Proud is offline First team regular
    I don't see the need in having to name a certain league as the best, because there is no real way of measuring it. At the end of the day football is just a form of entertainment and if we weren't entertained, we would loose interest-I think for 90% of us on here we chose the ENglish league as the focal point of football- so wether it is the best is irrelevent, it is our favourite, which matters the most.

Why is the Twitter thread closed? Trying to post a tweet about Reading wanting Ilori.

Red-And-Proud is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ShantaOrigi View Post
    Why is the Twitter thread closed? Trying to post a tweet about Reading wanting Ilori.
    I heard it's because we are soon to hear some big news about an imminent signing and LJOC wants to be the first to break it.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-And-Proud View Post
    I heard it's because we are soon to hear some big news about an imminent signing and LJOC wants to be the first to break it.

I think there are signs english football is emerging from the doldrums. But Spurs' performance in the CL this season showed how far there is to go before we're back having a couple of semi finalists every year like 10 years ago, and I'm not entirely convinced that Leicester City would have won La Liga or the Bundelsiga last season...

Unless Arsenal and Leicester can pull off some pretty big upsets, it'll just be City flying the flag beyond Round 2.

What do you reckon Reds?

Can't see us being beaten at home in the group stages. Utd have a good draw. Spurs have a chance and Chelsea have their work cut out. City will go through.

5 teams, 4 should get to the last 16 IMO. I think every English club would stand a chance of upsetting any team other than Madrid. And that's because Arsenal are not in it.

TheSoundLady is online now Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Could be a golden age because of the managerial talent (and money) funnelling into the league. No league has Pep, Jose, Jurgen and Antonio holding 4 of the top 6 jobs. Brilliant really.

But, to create a golden age we have to start putting 2-3 teams in the CL Semi Finals every year, and having an English team winning the CL every other year or more. An All-English final or two would also help.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Could be a golden age because of the managerial talent (and money) funnelling into the league. No league has Pep, Jose, Jurgen and Antonio holding 4 of the top 6 jobs. Brilliant really.

But, to create a golden age we have to start putting 2-3 teams in the CL Semi Finals every year, and having an English team winning the CL every other year or more. An All-English final or two would also help.
    I agree. Klopp, Conte, Mourinho and Pep all on their second season. The Premier League should be strong.

How would you rank the teams in terms of likelihood of getting to the final? I'd go -

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. Man City
    4. Man Utd
    5. Spurs

Does Brexit affect all of this? Will Bosman still apply to English clubs for instance?

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    I agree. Klopp, Conte, Mourinho and Pep all on their second season. The Premier League should be strong.

How would you rank the teams in terms of likelihood of getting to the final? I'd go -

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. Man City
    4. Man Utd
    5. Spurs
    United 13%
    City 10%
    Liverpool 9%
    Chelsea 7%
    Spurs 3%

No

SuperSpeedy is offline Academy prospect
    Yes

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by JurgenBelieveUs View Post
    United 13%
    City 10%
    Liverpool 9%
    Chelsea 7%
    Spurs 3%
    Spurs N/A more like.

It would be nice for English dominance, but omg if that happens then tv money will get more insane and be so bad in 3-5 years.

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by YerDaSellsAvon View Post
    It's not closed per se. It self combusted from boredom.

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    Golden age would suggest PL consistly vying for CL honours. No sign that's about to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    Golden age would suggest PL consistly vying for CL honours. No sign that's about to happen.
    yep agreed
    Eagle Face Moron

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenBelieveUs View Post
    United 13%
    City 10%
    Liverpool 9%
    Chelsea 7%
    Spurs 3%
    Darrrrrren ?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    I fancy an English team to get to the final in 2018. And I think the English clubs will be even stronger in the seasons to come.

Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool all returning is key for me - the big hitters for England in the UCL.

I fancy an English team to get to the final in 2018. And I think the English clubs will be even stronger in the seasons to come.

Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool all returning is key for me - the big hitters for England in the UCL.
    Just don't see it happening. I think we're a good enough team to make maybe the quarters with a lucky draw and the surprise factor given that we're back in the Champions League. United will do better than most people think but even then, when they come up against a great side like Madrid or Bayern they'll be outplayed. Chelsea is too hard to call, good side but Conte didn't really have a good Champions League record with Juve. City will probably go furthest and Spurs are basically screwed from the off, especially with Wembley factor.

I just can't see English sides breaking the Real/Bayern/Juve/Atletico stranglehold. Even with Barca declining I think PSG will take their place instead of an English side.

I'll tell you what i think. With 5 english clubs, if not one makes the Semis that will be bad and I can only guess at the vitriol that will be aimed at clubs if we dont have one in the QFs.

Now that coefficients are pretty much irrelevant to having 4 automatic qualifiers, I sincerely hope that every english team (except LFC obviously) get dumped into the Europa....every season.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbr00k View Post
    Just don't see it happening. I think we're a good enough team to make maybe the quarters with a lucky draw and the surprise factor given that we're back in the Champions League. United will do better than most people think but even then, when they come up against a great side like Madrid or Bayern they'll be outplayed. Chelsea is too hard to call, good side but Conte didn't really have a good Champions League record with Juve. City will probably go furthest and Spurs are basically screwed from the off, especially with Wembley factor.

I just can't see English sides breaking the Real/Bayern/Juve/Atletico stranglehold. Even with Barca declining I think PSG will take their place instead of an English side.
    Fair enough but I can definitely see it. For a number of reasons -

*There are 5 English Clubs - more than ever before.
    *All 5 Clubs have World Class managers - 4 of which are about to start their 2nd full seasons in charge.
    *3 of Barca, PSG, Dortmund, Real, Bayern and Juventus will finish 2nd in the groups.
    *Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford and Anfield have the European pedigree than can make the difference.
    * Liverpool, Utd and Man City have favourable draws. All look like the strongest team in their groups.

*Spurs are seen as the least likeliest, yet they're very capable.

The last two seasons Man City have made the semis and Leicester got to the Quarter Finals. City should have got to the last 8 last season too.