Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Ben Woodburn

1. #1 Default All Things Ben Woodburn 
    KeepTheFightForJustice is offline Academy prospect
    Haven't really seen a thread on him, if so I couldn't find it.

17 years old.. looks a very, very exciting talent.

Thought he played well today. Haven't seen a talent like this since Sterling came through.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Luis-Garcia's-left-peg is online now Directors Box
    Long road ahead of him yet. Didn't think he did a whole pile today. Only 17, when he gets physically bigger and stronger it will improve him also.

Neat and tidy, but I think he'll benefit more when he plays with senior players. Looked like if he doesn't score out there, nobody else will.

Alby Moreno is so bad, made Woodburn look worse. When he had to make run to be an outlet he didn't, when he did it was the wrong thing to do.

Daymo68 is online now One Post At A Time
    Like the look of him.

There is a bit of class there and reminds me of a young Robbie Fowler.

He goes on to do half what Robbie did then we cannot complain.

No pressure.

He was on the periphery of the game today but he did some really nice things, he's talented but he was expected to be a match winner today which is a it unfair.

If he was playing in the first team he would probably look a lot better but he's very young and has a lot of developing to do.

Absolutely no worries at all that he will make the first team grade. Bar none he is easily the most naturally gifted academy graduate we've had at the club in the past ten years. Exceptional player.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    I really like his quick feet and the way he can manipulate the ball in tight spaces.

However, he looks like a young kid - which is exactly what he is at the moment. I don't expect him to be first team regular for at least another couple of seasons (if not longer). However, he does look like a player who can have a future at the club.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Very quick shift of the ball and acceleration to find half a yard and shoot, reminds me of Owen at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    Very quick shift of the ball and acceleration to find half a yard and shoot, reminds me of Owen at that age.
    Quick feet in the box too. I thought he was fouled on one occasion. Not a penalty, but that's why it ran out of play.

The defender caught his foot and slowed him down.

Played out wide out of position he is a central striker not a winger very tough on the lad he would of done a good job up front he would have more movement than Orgi anyway who just stood up all night.

He mentioned quickness when he was interviewed together with Ejaria and TAA.

Not surprised he is taking steps to muster that part if the game,which Ejaria must emulate.

There is a maturity in Woodburn's game and passing which is still lacking in Ejaria,in my opinion.
    Ben is a real talent.

He's a real talent, only turned 17 in October, Michael Owen was still months away from his debut IIRC, Fowler almost a year.

Personally I think and have done for a while that he's wasted out left, much like Firmino. He's been playing that role at U23 level as perhaps the club think it's an easier position to break in to, but at U16 level and often at U18 level he was central, either as a 10 or a number 9, and often his performances there were devastating.

He has all the attributes to be a fantastic no. 10, he is cool in possession, creative, can beat a man with skill, makes good runs, and he's a lethal finisher.

I think he's a fanstatic talent and a ready made replacement for Adam Lallana, and I'd like to see him in that role in the next game vs Plymouth.

Much too early to make any objective decisions on how he will develop. It's always the same with young talented players, some make it, some don't and some tear the place up. He needs a few years before any real judgement is warranted. L etc not build him up and let's not be too critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    Much too early to make any objective decisions on how he will develop. It's always the same with young talented players, some make it, some don't and some tear the place up. He needs a few years before any real judgement is warranted. L etc not build him up and let's not be too critical.
    Fair post, every young talent either gets that kick to go to the next level or they fade away. A good example is Sterling, i still remember the game he went from promising to the next level and never looked back. The kick he got was against Norwich in 13/14 season, it was the second half and Suarez's magic seemed to start filing him with confidence than after that sterling was a key player. Ibe how ever never found that gear, so it will be interesting if Woddburn finds that extra gear or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Top klopp View Post
    Played out wide out of position he is a central striker not a winger very tough on the lad he would of done a good job up front he would have more movement than Orgi anyway who just stood up all night.
    I agree. Played out of position today. Frustrating as we always seem to have to accommodate Origi.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfKlopp View Post
    Fair post, every young talent either gets that kick to go to the next level or they fade away. A good example is Sterling, i still remember the game he went from promising to the next level and never looked back. The kick he got was against Norwich in 13/14 season, it was the second half and Suarez's magic seemed to start filing him with confidence than after that sterling was a key player. Ibe how ever never found that gear, so it will be interesting if Woddburn finds that extra gear or not.
    I thought it was the Saints game away when he came in for Coutinho and turned the performance.

Ben played where he's always played in the youth setup. But yeah some of you obviously know more than our coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    I thought it was the Saints game away when he came in for Coutinho and turned the performance.
    I can't remember that game, but i just remember the he needs to go on loan nonsense went after that Norwich game. He was his frustrating self first half then it clicked second half and he was brilliant from then on.

KeepTheFightForJustice is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    Of course. Is too early to judge him. However, you can see instantly who has that "something" Woodburn has that. His touch, he's a step ahead of the rest. And he's progressed incredibly fast. I think even quicker than Klopp expected.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    A very exciting talent but will probably develop further once someone tells him that his left foot is for more than just standing on.

Liverdinner is offline Posts With His Faace
    Gave us zero width whatsoever. Was basically just Moreno on the flank.

However, he's a talented lad and I hope we make the most of his talent. I too think he'll be much better in a central position.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    Gave us zero width whatsoever. Was basically just Moreno on the flank.

However, he's a talented lad and I hope we make the most of his talent. I too think he'll be much better in a central position.
    Our attacking players are not designed to give us width; only going to get that from the full backs and with the quality we have demonstrated in the final third this season, you have to say it works.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    Our attacking players are not designed to give us width; only going to get that from the full backs and with the quality we have demonstrated in the final third this season, you have to say it works.
    Moreno's fullback duties gave us zero quality on the width!
    The guy is stealing our pounds/euros.

He needs to be let go.

Until Sturridge came on, I thought Woodburn was the most likely to make something happen.

Still very very young. Looking at his spots on his face his just starting going through puberty. His body is growing. Has the talent to make a good career in the game. Lets see how he develops. Time will tell in 18 months to 2 years time he will be a far better player especially training with lallana firminho studge coutinho mane.

I thought he did okay today, but the comparisons to Suarez are a little premature perhaps?

Still very young...body looks young and not strong at all. Think he moves and passes pretty well.... fairly impressed with him....still lots of work to do.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Was very sharp in the first half. Quick passes, good feet, and a decent cross.

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    Ben played where he's always played in the youth setup. But yeah some of you obviously know more than our coaches.
    Ljinders stated in an interview he played Ben at 10 for the U16's, he played predominantly either there or at false nine for the U18's, he started to play left wing after the youth cup game at Arsenal at the back end of last season, a game where he didn't particularly excel.

I don't know more than our coaches, just more than you.

Liverdinner is offline Posts With His Faace
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    Pretty silly.

Cost us today arguably.