Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xabi Alonso set to retire at the end of the season.

aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Xabi Alonso

Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by spikop View Post
    Myth peddled by Rafa apologists.

He had excellent seasons in his first & last, and had Good & Solid (but injury interrupted) seasons in-between that were still better than anything Barry had ever produced - this is why in the pre-season that Rafa was trying to peddle him off (to Juve), the supporters in all the pre-season games (in every location) were chanting his name to stay. That embarassed Rafa to re-think his "strategy", and that's why Xabi had every right to leave the next season when Real came along (even after Rafa was publicly trying to guilt-trip him to stay 'for the fans').
    I dont doubt that he was still a better player than Barry. The point really is his form in those three intervening years. I say he was mediocre and you say he was good and solid. Don't think Rafa would look to move him on if he was good and solid, particularly for Barry who on his best day is 'good and solid'. Neither do I see Rafa changing strategy because fans chant a players name after some pre-season friendlies.
    Rafa changed his own idea about selling when Alonso showed his class again but that was whilst looking for out.

Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    I dont doubt that he was still a better player than Barry. The point really is his form in those three intervening years. I say he was mediocre and you say he was good and solid. Don't think Rafa would look to move him on if he was good and solid, particularly for Barry who on his best day is 'good and solid'. Neither do I see Rafa changing strategy because fans chant a players name after some pre-season friendlies.
    Rafa changed his own idea about selling when Alonso showed his class again but that was whilst looking for out.
    in my opinion, he was never average, whatever you could think about him and that couple of seasons where he didn't stand out,

he was always the guiding light for our midfield play, just one word to define him, MASTERCLASS,

Last edited by rosso76; 19-1-17 at 01:06.

One of my favourite players of all time , passing masterclass , and when he scored from his own half I actually fell off my chair laughing , what a legend

In those 3 so-called 'mediocre' seasons, we got to another CL Final & Qtr Final, won the FA Cup and finished in the top 3/4 every season. I don't think a team could've achieved that with their midfield general being mediocre (SG was played off the striker & on the wing). And when I say good & solid, understand that "good" for Xabi is/was a higher level than someone like Barry's or Henderson's "excellent".

Also, Rafa did pay attention to the fans, and while they may not have been the only factor, it did influence him, as prior to that, he was in the "could do no wrong" sphere, and this was the first time he was publicly "questioned". In a couple of those games, he did acknowledge what the fans were saying, both on the sidelines, and in inteviews.

He can do a job for us that's for sure.

In those 3 so-called 'mediocre' seasons, we got to another CL Final & Qtr Final, won the FA Cup and finished in the top 3/4 every season. I don't think a team could've achieved that with their midfield general being mediocre (SG was played off the striker & on the wing). And when I say good & solid, understand that "good" for Xabi is/was a higher level than someone like Barry's or Henderson's "excellent".

Also, Rafa did pay attention to the fans, and while they may not have been the only factor, it did influence him, as prior to that, he was in the "could do no wrong" sphere, and this was the first time he was publicly "questioned". In a couple of those games, he did acknowledge what the fans were saying, both on the sidelines, and in inteviews.
    As I've said that I agree that his average was still better than Barry's I also believe that while Xabi was a much superior footballer than Hendo, dont underestimate what Hendo brings to the team when he plays at a high level.
    But surely you must remember the amount of times that Xabi was caught in possesssion for being too slow. I actually think that the PL didn't suit Xabi. Maybe thats why he seemed to play so well for Madrid, even when I see him at Bayern, in his thirties, he seems to control the game more.
    Didn't know that Rafa admitted to being wrong/acknowledging fans in an interview so I accept that. It just doesn't seem like a very Rafa thing to do.
    So,if not for form, why do you think he wanted to sell him?

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page

Absolute nonsense, the crowd didn't change Rafa's mind on anything!

And where is this ridiculous notion that Xabi was average for three seasons coming from? He was great all bar one season where he went off the boil a bit due to injuries.

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    Quote Originally Posted by rosso76 View Post
    by far the best passer of the ball we have ever had, what a player!, what a Legend!

he's retiring at 36, happy time to do it!

YNWA Xabi Alonso

The best passer of the ball we've EVER had?!

What the **** are you on about?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    We have moved on to appreciate a workhorse kind of mid
    Not me.

For some reason that pen he took in the CL final always sticks in my mind I can't belive that was 12 years ago.

Very classy player and person. Obvious he still holds LFC close to his heart when he speaks of the club.
    Disappointed when he left, or felt he had to leave, in his prime but glad he won major honours at Madrid & Munich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    The best passer of the ball we've EVER had?!

What the **** are you on about?!!
    sorry mate, but I actually stick with my opinion,

Quote Originally Posted by gedzredz View Post
    Rafa strangely didn't seem to appreciate Alonso's importance to the team. I couldn't understand it at the time and still can't.
    Very few people on here did either.

By far one of the most underrated players we've had. Everyone wanted him dropped when he was here, and most people on here championed the signing of Barry as a replacement for him.

It's only when he went to Madrid and dominated for them that people on here realised that he's a bit good.

Quote Originally Posted by LiverpoolRealist View Post
    He can do a job for us that's for sure.
    As what ? He's retiring !!!

As I've said that I agree that his average was still better than Barry's I also believe that while Xabi was a much superior footballer than Hendo, dont underestimate what Hendo brings to the team when he plays at a high level.
    But surely you must remember the amount of times that Xabi was caught in possesssion for being too slow. I actually think that the PL didn't suit Xabi. Maybe thats why he seemed to play so well for Madrid, even when I see him at Bayern, in his thirties, he seems to control the game more.
    Didn't know that Rafa admitted to being wrong/acknowledging fans in an interview so I accept that. It just doesn't seem like a very Rafa thing to do.
    So,if not for form, why do you think he wanted to sell him?
    At the time he said it was because of the minimum-home-grown numbers rule, but it was odd, as there were a lot more useless foreign-grown players in the squad. There was also talk I think about Xabi wanting to miss a game for the birth of his child in the previous season and Rafa took issue with that, so their bond was strained after that.

And to the other poster, it was'nt the sole reason, but the fan reactions were a big reason for Rafa's come-down, as it was the first time I had ever heard him back down in post-game interviews, and look as sheepish as he did on the sidelines. It was 7 years ago, but I remember that clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by rosso76 View Post
    by far the best passer of the ball we have ever had, what a player!, what a Legend!

he's retiring at 36, happy time to do it!

YNWA Xabi Alonso

Alonso was great for us, but that 'best' tag is Jan Molby's only.

Quote Originally Posted by adamk137 View Post
    Not me.
    So you don't appreciate effort, desire hardwork blah blah that Henderson and Gini give you, MONSTER!!!

At the time he said it was because of the minimum-home-grown numbers rule, but it was odd, as there were a lot more useless foreign-grown players in the squad. There was also talk I think about Xabi wanting to miss a game for the birth of his child in the previous season and Rafa took issue with that, so their bond was strained after that.

And to the other poster, it was'nt the sole reason, but the fan reactions were a big reason for Rafa's come-down, as it was the first time I had ever heard him back down in post-game interviews, and look as sheepish as he did on the sidelines. It was 7 years ago, but I remember that clearly.
    We were collapsing under H+G debt had no money and Xabi Alonso was our only saleable asset.

Alonso was my favourite player of the Rafa era but with regards to Barry it made sense at the time because he and Gerrard had been really good in CM for England and forming an excellent partnership.

Of course I preferred Alonso over Gaz Baz but then Barry did go on to sign for City and became pretty integral to their league title win. So not as stupid an idea as some may think.

That said a top team like LFC who had just got to 2 CL finals in 3 years, were regularly challenging in the latter stages of that comp and for league titles should have been able to afford both Barry and Alonso in the same squad.
    Last edited by Thespian; 19-1-17 at 15:04.

Alonso was great for us, but that 'best' tag is Jan Molby's only.
    I think they both would be co-winners of that accolade, mate,

the two best passers of the ball we have ever had,

We should offer him a coaching role. I'd love to see him and Gerrard holding hands on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Thespian View Post
    We were collapsing under H+G debt had no money and Xabi Alonso was our only saleable asset.

Alonso was my favourite player of the Rafa era but with regards to Barry it made sense at the time because he and Gerrard had been really good in CM for England and forming an excellent partnership.

Of course I preferred Alonso over Gaz Baz but then Barry did go on to sign for City and became pretty integral to their league title win. So not as stupid an idea as some may think.

That said a top team like LFC who had just got to 2 CL finals in 3 years, were regularly challenging in the latter stages of that comp and for league titles should have been able to afford both Barry and Alonso in the same squad.
    Yup, spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thespian View Post

It didnt make sense to want to play Barry on the left, that's for certain. That's what Rafa wanted to do, remember.

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Classy guy and a great footballer ... Seems like he is hanging up his boots at about the right time. wish him and his family well.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    It didnt make sense to want to play Barry on the left, that's for certain. That's what Rafa wanted to do, remember.
    But then without seeing Rafa's idea actually executed we can only speculate at how it would have worked can't we?

He was certainly no Gareth Bale, but Barry was a LB by trade and had played on the left many times for Villa.

It certainly could have been a disaster, but then it could just as well have been a master stroke. We'll never know.

I don't disagree that it made little sense in theory, but then who'd have thought playing James Milner at LB and Victor Moses at RWB would work out so well for their respective teams?

Rafa had very rarely got it wrong before 2010 and had built the strongest LFC team in 20 years so I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt with that situation.
    Last edited by Thespian; 20-1-17 at 10:33.

aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    At the end of the season.

Wonderful player, still got it...

Good luck Xabi
    dont look back in anger.

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    @XabiAlonso
    Lived it. Loved it.

Farewell beautiful game.

https://twitter.com/XabiAlonso/statu...510848/photo/1

Fantastic player, I would sign him right now for a couple of seasons but I guess he still wants to leave playing at the very top level. How many players have managed to do that at the age of 35?

What a great player

Despite his age, he still could have played at the highest level for a few more years, such was his intelligent reading of the game and the fact that he's never had pace to depend upon.

When top players approach retirement, it's often asked whether they could make it in management. For me Xabi has the pre-requisites - excellent understanding of the game, with a calm and highly respected personality. Players would love playing for him.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Classy footballer... wish the footballing gods made more of those.
    ?