Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Snooker Thread

Barry Hawkins makes the final of the World Grand Prix, beating Liang Wenbo 6-1. Ryan Day beat Marco Fu 6-4 to join him.

My money's on Barry to clinch this one, although it would be nice to see Ryan claim a maiden ranking title.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

What a fascinating final - it looked for a while as though Ryan Day could complete an epic comeback, a very brave effort nevertheless. As it stands, Barry Hawkins crept over the line at 10-7, having earlier looked untouchable with five century breaks to lead 9-3.

In the end it came down to just a few missed shots and the run of the balls in an entertaining finale to the World Grand Prix. Congratulations Barry!
    Last edited by ever-red-e; 13-2-17 at 20:46. Reason: Incorrect scoreline

Well, as one tournament finishes (Well done Barry) another one begins. I think Neil Roberson might do well in the Welsh Open...

Love all this Snooker being on

Quote Originally Posted by KnottybackSte View Post
    Well, as one tournament finishes (Well done Barry) another one begins. I think Neil Roberson might do well in the Welsh Open...

Love all this Snooker being on
    It's great when there is one tournament straight after another isn't it KnottybackSte.

So your money is on Robertson eh, that may well prove to be an astute bet, although his form is not really that impressive.

It will be brilliant to watch though nevertheless as you say.

'Rocket' Ronnie is through to the second round of the Welsh Open with a 4-1 victory over Tom Ford.

Meanwhile Mark Williams was a notable first round scalp, losing 4-2 to Elliot Slessor.

Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    'Rocket' Ronnie is through to the second round of the Welsh Open with a 4-1 victory over Tom Ford.

Meanwhile Mark Williams was a notable first round scalp, losing 4-2 to Elliot Slessor.
    Top seeds tumbling out. Selby the latest to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaLxTc View Post
    Top seeds tumbling out. Selby the latest to fall.
    You're right ToTaLxTc, there are only three top 16 seeds left in the competition.

It's great to see some youngsters doing well, with 15 year old Jackson Page reaching the third round and 17 year old Yan Bingtao beating Selby to make the fourth round draw.

I wonder if Barry Hawkins could make it two tournaments in a row?

Judd Trump is in the semi-finals after a hard-fought 5-4 victory over the in-form Barry Hawkins. Although I missed the coverage of this, it apparently came down to a missed yellow from Barry in the deciding frame.

Judd will face Scott Donaldson in the semis, who won 5-0 against Zhou Yuelong.

Judd Trump is in the semi-finals after a hard-fought 5-4 victory over the in-form Barry Hawkins. Although I missed the coverage of this, it apparently came down to a missed yellow from Barry in the deciding frame.

Judd will face Scott Donaldson in the semis, who won 5-0 against Zhou Yuelong.
    That last frame between Trump and Hawkins was awesome. Definitely worth a watch if you can find highlights somewhere. Hawkins needed the yellow to leave Trump needing snookers and god knows how it stayed out of the middle pocket.

Here we go, the yellow is around 17:15 : https://youtu.be/UNvEgX7fxJA
    Last edited by ToTaLxTc; 17-2-17 at 22:50.

That last frame between Trump and Hawkins was awesome. Definitely worth a watch if you can find highlights somewhere. Hawkins needed the yellow to leave Trump needing snookers and god knows how it stayed out of the middle pocket.

Here we go, the yellow is around 17:15 : https://youtu.be/UNvEgX7fxJA
    Thanks for the link ToTaLxTc, I really enjoyed that decisive frame. As you say, how the yellow stayed out is anyone's guess.

Thanks for the link ToTaLxTc, I really enjoyed that decisive frame. As you say, how the yellow stayed out is anyone's guess.
    Really great finish. Trump was lucky he fluked that red prior to that spell otherwise Hawkins probably would have wrapped it up prior to the that.

Really great finish. Trump was lucky he fluked that red prior to that spell otherwise Hawkins probably would have wrapped it up prior to the that.
    Yes I thought he was getting the 'run of the balls' when that red went in, and that key yellow seemed to prove it. You're right again aswell, it was certainly a great finish ToTaLxTc, and thanks again for posting the link so that I could enjoy it too.

By the end of the evening session Stuart Bingham had comfortably defeated Milkins by 6-0 in the second semi-final, Judd Trump having claimed his final spot earlier today after beating Donaldson by 6-3.
    Last edited by ever-red-e; 19-2-17 at 00:12. Reason: Updating results

Milkins looked way out of his depth tonight, Bingham on a different level altogether.

Should be a cracking final Bingham v Trump, I hope Bingham wins.

Milkins looked way out of his depth tonight, Bingham on a different level altogether.

Should be a cracking final Bingham v Trump, I hope Bingham wins.
    Yes the Bingham/Milkins game was far too easy for the victor, it was completely one-sided.

Also I think you're spot-on KnottybackSte that it should be a fantastic final. I'm not bothered who wins though as long as it's a good match.

Chandler Bingham taking a 5-3 lead over Donald Trump into tonight's session in the Welsh Open final.

6-6 now. Set up for an interesting finish.

7-7 now. Scrappy stuff. Both of these guys are struggling with the occasion it seems.

Another scrappy frame, but Trump moves ahead for the first time in the match. One frame away from the title now at 8-7, with 2 frames left.

Remaining scrappy and intense, this one's going to a decider folks.

Former World Champion Stuart Bingham was victorious against Judd Trump, winning 9-8 in a scrappy but intensely fought match - in a way it was sad that there had to be a winner because it was a very tight affair, with both players competing bravely throughout.

In the end it was a break of 55 which sealed the win for Bingham.

I like your thread ever-red-e, and I love Snooker...but you coloured posting makes my eyes bleed.

Any chance of using dark colours just in this thread?

I like your thread ever-red-e, and I love Snooker...but you coloured posting makes my eyes bleed.

Any chance of using dark colours just in this thread?

I'm sorry to hear that your "eyes bleed" KnottybackSte, as that is certainly not my intention. However the way I post is just my particular style if you want to call it that, and I will not apologize for it. Perhaps you could follow the advice of our fellow poster -PRAETORIAN- who suggested that people wear

However I would also hate to alienate you from a thread you clearly enjoy, and I will therefore try to be a little more careful with my selections in this thread only from now on. I hope that satisfies you KnottybackSte.

I'm sorry to hear that your "eyes bleed" KnottybackSte, as that is certainly not my intention. However the way I post is just my particular style if you want to call it that, and I will not apologize for it. Perhaps you could follow the advice of our fellow poster -PRAETORIAN- who suggested that people wear

However I would also hate to alienate you from a thread you clearly enjoy, and I will therefore try to be a little more careful with my selections in this thread only from now on. I hope that satisfies you KnottybackSte.
    Ah, good man. You're posting style is great, just some of the lighter colours are a killer. But I recognise different colours are important...particularly in snooker

Does anyone have an opinion about the single-frame format currently in use in certain tournaments? Is it genuinely a positive step for the game or do you think it is just a gimmicky waste of time?

To me the atmosphere is bizarrely more like a darts match, nothing like the traditional 'cathedral-like' near-silence we normally enjoy - I can't take to it myself, but I suppose each to their own.

I would much rather settle down to a classic style best-of match with the ambience quiet and respectful but simultaneously electric somehow.

I don't like the shoot out personally although I've been watching it. The crowd are so cringey though.

I can't believe it's a ranking event either. I think the winner gets a similar number of ranking points to the runner up of last week's Welsh open, and the maximum amount of time a player will play is 70 mins.

I'm surprised O'Sullivan hasn't entered this though, he's the only person who's said that snooker crowds should be more rowdy and this seems right up his street.

Quote Originally Posted by Keverson View Post
    I don't like the shoot out personally although I've been watching it. The crowd are so cringey though.

I can't believe it's a ranking event either. I think the winner gets a similar number of ranking points to the runner up of last week's Welsh open, and the maximum amount of time a player will play is 70 mins.

I'm surprised O'Sullivan hasn't entered this though, he's the only person who's said that snooker crowds should be more rowdy and this seems right up his street.
    You're right Keverson, the fact that it's a ranking event means it carries significant weight despite the curious nature of the format. I'm equally surprised not to see Ronnie playing as the atmosphere and pacey style seem perfectly suited to him.

Ultimately I don't like this new model either, I'd rather see break-building and tactical snooker in the normal manner. I wonder if it will last?

In the Player's Championship semi-final it's currently 4-3 to Ding Junhui over Marco Fu in a first-to-six match.

'Stim is offline First team regular
    In the Player's Championship semi-final it's currently 4-3 to Ding Junhui over Marco Fu in a first-to-six match.
    Good game too,Ever. Marco fighting back to try and make it 5-4 .....but he's a mistake away from being out of the tournie
    " The Dude Abides "

Quote Originally Posted by 'Stim View Post
    Good game too,Ever. Marco fighting back to try and make it 5-4 .....but he's a mistake away from being out of the tournie
    Good match and there's going to be a decider Stim - who is your money on?

Congratulations to Marco Fu on reaching tomorrow's final against Judd Trump. If the semi-finals are anything to go by, it should be an interesting match.