Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 233

Thread: The Snooker Thread

  1. #61  
    'Stim is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    42,444
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    Good match and there's going to be a decider Stim - who is your money on?
    Well Ever me auld mucker,my money was on Ding,but Marco kept the momentum & completed the comeback....fair play to him indeed

    He's leading 5-4 over Judd presently as they come out for a nice Sunday Evening Final session of the good auld Doofer
    " The Dude Abides "
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #62  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Stim View Post
    Well Ever me auld mucker,my money was on Ding,but Marco kept the momentum & completed the comeback....fair play to him indeed

    He's leading 5-4 over Judd presently as they come out for a nice Sunday Evening Final session of the good auld Doofer
    It was a very good semi-final win by Fu wasn't it Stim, although the final seems to be going Trump's way with a three frame lead at the interval. Can Fu make an epic comeback?
    Last edited by ever-red-e; 17-3-17 at 22:24. Reason: Toning it down a little for KnottybackSte
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #63  
    'Stim is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    42,444
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    It was a very good semi-final win by Fu wasn't it Stim, although the final seems to be going Trump's way with a three frame lead at the interval. Can Fu make an epic comeback?
    Well Ever, the score went to 9-8 and I thought to myself "This chap Marco is at it again!"

    He tried valiantly but Judd inevitably got his chance & took it when just needing one more frame to clinch the win.

    Well done Trumpers !

    Commissers to Marco !
    " The Dude Abides "
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #64  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Stim View Post
    Well Ever, the score went to 9-8 and I thought to myself "This chap Marco is at it again!"

    He tried valiantly but Judd inevitably got his chance & took it when just needing one more frame to clinch the win.

    Well done Trumpers !

    Commissers to Marco !
    You're right Stim, at 9-8 the comeback did look possible, but as you say, Trump got his chance and powered home.

    Congratulations Judd, you played an excellent match, and commiserations Marco, your effort was indeed valiant.
    Last edited by ever-red-e; 17-3-17 at 22:24. Reason: Toning it down a little for KnottybackSte
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #65  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,404
    Well finally it's here - the World Snooker Championship for 2017 is about to begin, the question is, who's going to win it?

    No doubt there will be many backing Rocket Ronnie to claim a sixth crown, while reigning champion Mark Selby must be worth a punt. What about Ding Junhui, Marco Fu, Stuart Bingham, Liang Wenbo or Ali Carter for that matter, all of whom offer great credentials. Perhaps Neil Robertson or Shaun Murphy take your fancy, or possibly John Higgins, all former winners of course. Or perhaps you're backing a so-called dark-horse for the title and we'll have a new champion.

    Either way I think it's going to be a closely fought scrap between Mark Selby and the best of the rest, but I would love to see Ronnie claim another title. I can't wait to see the outcome in just a few days' time.

    Good luck to all entrants.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #66  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    Well finally it's here - the World Snooker Championship for 2017 is about to begin, the question is, who's going to win it?

    No doubt there will be many backing Rocket Ronnie to claim a sixth crown, while reigning champion Mark Selby must be worth a punt. What about Ding Junhui, Marco Fu, Stuart Bingham, Liang Wenbo or Ali Carter for that matter, all of whom offer great credentials. Perhaps Neil Robertson or Shaun Murphy take your fancy, or possibly John Higgins, all former winners of course. Or perhaps you're backing a so-called dark-horse for the title and we'll have a new champion.

    Either way I think it's going to be a closely fought scrap between Mark Selby and the best of the rest, but I would love to see Ronnie claim another title. I can't wait to see the outcome in just a few days' time.

    Good luck to all entrants.
    Didn't realise that this was starting this week. Happy days
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #67  
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,383
    Roll on it all starting on Saturday.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #68  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    Mark Selby v Fergal O'Brien

    Anthony McGill v Stephen Maguire

    Kyren Wilson v David Grace

    John Higgins v Martin Gould

    Barry Hawkins v Tom Ford

    Marco Fu v Luca Brecel

    Shaun Murphy v Yan Bingtao

    Judd Trump v Rory McLeod

    Stuart Bingham v Peter Ebdon

    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Gary Wilson

    Ryan Day v Xiao Guodong

    Ding Junhui v Zhou Yuelong

    Neil Robertson v Noppon Saengkham

    Mark Allen v Jimmy Robertson

    Liang Wenbo v Stuart Carrington

    Ali Carter v Graeme Dott


    First round draw. My predicted winners in bold
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #69  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Mark Selby v Fergal O'Brien

    ...

    First round draw. My predicted winners in bold
    I think Marco Fu will beat Luca Brecel, and Ali Carter will dispense with Graeme Dott, but apart from that your predictions look solid -Chris- (without accounting for the inevitable shock which usually surfaces).
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #70  
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,264
    I'd be shocked if Fu got beat by Brecel, if he's got his tip sorted he could go far. I fancy Selby to win the whole thing, I like Selby but would love Higgins to win it.

    It is wide open this year, you could make a case for at least any one of 10 to win it!

    Love the snooker, great stuff
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #71  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    I like Brecel and for some reason I always feel Fu is one of those players who will either do really well or get beat by someone he shouldn't. I'll look a right *** now if he smashes him though!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #72  
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I like Brecel and for some reason I always feel Fu is one of those players who will either do really well or get beat by someone he shouldn't. I'll look a right *** now if he smashes him though!
    Fu will win.

    I think Wilson might make it difficult for Ronnie, he scores heavy. Could be a cracker, the odds are decent too.

    Selby should win very easy, Trump and Robertson will win too as well. The Higgins match will be a battle I really hope he wins, although no money on it.

    You could make a strong case for so many players...keep an eye on Bingtao too.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #73  
    aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    51,940
    What a weird cue action Wilson has, most players run the cue on the the chin whereas he has it to the side of his cheek and lip. Strange
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #74  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,404
    I see Mark Selby wasted little time in disposing of Fergal O'Brien 10-2. Looks to be in good form at the outset.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #75  
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    What a weird cue action Wilson has, most players run the cue on the the chin whereas he has it to the side of his cheek and lip. Strange
    Similar to Graham Miles many many years ago...did say he might give Ronnie a good game. Still expect Ronnie to win, but odds of 8-1 couldn't be ignored for Wilson...as I said he scores heavy when he gets in.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #76  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    Brecel is 4-0 up. Just saying
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #77  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Brecel is 4-0 up. Just saying


    It looks like you may have made a spot-on call so far -Chris- I'm happy to admit.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #78  
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Brecel is 4-0 up. Just saying
    He's only half way there

    Must be Fu's tip...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #79  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post


    It looks like you may have made a spot-on call so far -Chris- I'm happy to admit.
    Thanks mate
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #80  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottybackSte View Post
    He's only half way there

    Must be Fu's tip...
    7-1 now
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #81  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    7-1 now
    7-2 overnight. Looks nailed-on mate.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #82  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/39616925



    An emotional Ronnie O'Sullivan has attacked snooker authorities for using "threatening" language and said he will not be "bullied" by them.

    The five-time world champion is angry at a disciplinary letter sent to him.

    After beating Gary Wilson in the first round of the World Championship, O'Sullivan said: "I phoned [World Snooker chairman] Barry Hearn four weeks ago and told him I am done with you and your board.




    "I don't think I've done a lot wrong."

    "A friend told me to let the lawyers deal with it. I won't get involved anymore because I am not being bullied."

    Why is O'Sullivan upset?

    Since victory at the Masters in January, five-time world champion O'Sullivan has only replied to questions by the media with one or two-word answers, and has also sung an Oasis song in reply, and on another occasion responded as a 'robot' in protest at his perceived mistreatment by the sport's authorities

    That grievance seemingly dates to an incident during his record-breaking seventh Masters triumph at Alexandra Palace, when he publicly criticised a referee and swore at a photographer.

    World Snooker, the commercial arm of the sport, referred O'Sullivan's comments to governing body the WPBSA, which ultimately took no action as it accepted his explanation of the incidents.

    However, O'Sullivan was sent a letter by the WPBSA about his behaviour and warned he could face further sanctions including a fine. He responded by saying that repeated disciplinary action could cause him to reduce his playing time and media commitments, among other things.


    In five events since then, O'Sullivan has failed to win consecutive matches.

    Explaining his behaviour, the Englishman said: "I have no problems with the press. Sometimes I say things I should not say, I get myself into hot bother, and I get a letter through saying I need to respond in 14 days - a day before a tournament.

    "It messed up my last three or four tournaments. I did not really win a match and it is not fair on the fans or those who invested in me.

    "I phoned Barry Hearn four weeks ago and told him I am done with you and your board of people. A friend of mine told me to let the lawyers deal with it. I won't get involved anymore because I am not being bullied. I am not letting people do that to me ever again.

    "I just want to play and have fun. I like Barry but I am not being intimidated or bullied anymore. The language can be quite threatening and intimidating in some of these letters. It is very unsettling.

    "To go in with all that on my head, having to see lawyers and having to fight off something I feel I should not have to, they pushed me too far.

    "If I did not have good lawyers, I would probably have walked away because I am too old to be dealing with things like that."

    World Snooker said it was unwilling to comment.

    'This felt different' - analysis

    BBC Radio 5 live's George Riley at the Crucible Theatre:

    "We had no idea whether Ronnie would show up and, when he did, he was visibly emotional. Given he has chosen not to engage with the media since the Masters other than through robot impressions and Oasis songs, I didn't feel there was any alternative but to challenge him.

    I have heard Ronnie threaten to retire and talk of falling out of love with the game on so many occasions that you no longer bat an eyelid when he does so. But this felt different - his voice was cracking with emotion when he spoke of feeling bullied, intimidated and threatened by the governing body and its leader Barry Hearn. There were nerves among the press too. It felt like a very tense 10 minutes.

    Whether you side with O'Sullivan on this or feel - like Hearn does - that his behaviour is becoming embarrassing, there was raw anger here at the guys who run this sport. While some fellow players feel O'Sullivan receives preferential treatment, he himself feels persecuted.

    This was a powerful and reasoned explanation as to why he is so upset. If this had come sooner rather than a series of childish media conferences, O'Sullivan might have found far more sympathy. Yet it appears that in his war with World Snooker, his relationship with the media has become a casualty."

    'Another world title won't make a difference'

    O'Sullivan, though, did not speak about his victory over Wilson, after which he celebrated enthusiastically by punching the air a number of times, hand-slapping a fan in the front row and blowing a kiss to the crowd.

    'The Rocket' was 5-1 up in the match, before being pegged back in the first session, but a blistering second session with breaks of 124, 90, 83 and 74 saw him advance.

    The 41-year-old goes in search of his sixth world crown, as he looks to equal Stephen Hendry's record of 18 'Triple Crown' event wins.

    "I like to play for the fans, I get a kick out of it," he added. "It is about entertaining and put in good performances. That is the most important thing.

    "I do not need to prove anything to anybody, I have won five worlds, seven Masters and five UK titles and I'm only one behind Hendry on the majors list. Another world title will not make a massive difference.

    "I would love to win another world title but it is about working with people I enjoy working with and getting some satisfaction by playing with freedom."

    Interesting this. I'm not a fan of Ronnie at all, not because I don't think he is a brilliant player, but mainly due to his attitude and disrespectful behaviour. But Ronnie isn't the only person who doesn't seem to think that Hearn runs the sport all that well. A lot of players are quite out spoken about that.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #83  
    aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    51,940
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/39616925






    Interesting this. I'm not a fan of Ronnie at all, not because I don't think he is a brilliant player, but mainly due to his attitude and disrespectful behaviour. But Ronnie isn't the only person who doesn't seem to think that Hearn runs the sport all that well. A lot of players are quite out spoken about that.
    Snooker IS Ronnie O'Sullivan, he said he doesn't need snooker and snooker probably doesn't need him but most people who are into it only really look for one thing which is to see when Ronnie is playing and for me he's the only player I'd pay money to watch the others, as good as they are, are just the secondary cast.

    Snooker did the same to Alex Higgins
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #84  
    Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    18,074
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Snooker IS Ronnie O'Sullivan, he said he doesn't need snooker and snooker probably doesn't need him but most people who are into it only really look for one thing which is to see when Ronnie is playing and for me he's the only player I'd pay money to watch the others, as good as they are, are just the secondary cast.

    Snooker did the same to Alex Higgins
    Agree.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #85  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Snooker IS Ronnie O'Sullivan, he said he doesn't need snooker and snooker probably doesn't need him but most people who are into it only really look for one thing which is to see when Ronnie is playing and for me he's the only player I'd pay money to watch the others, as good as they are, are just the secondary cast.

    Snooker did the same to Alex Higgins
    I'm not sure if that is the case. Casual fans maybe so, but not people who actually like the game of snooker.

    Ronnie has a lot of issues and I feel for him in that regard, but snooker gave him a career and sometimes the way he speaks about it is quite disrespectful to the game itself. However I'm not a fan of Barry Hearn and as I've said there's a few players who are quite out spoken about him. Mark Allen being the main culprit.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #86  
    aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    51,940
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I'm not sure if that is the case. Casual fans maybe so, but not people who actually like the game of snooker.

    Ronnie has a lot of issues and I feel for him in that regard, but snooker gave him a career and sometimes the way he speaks about it is quite disrespectful to the game itself. However I'm not a fan of Barry Hearn and as I've said there's a few players who are quite out spoken about him. Mark Allen being the main culprit.
    Fair point it's all about opinions personally I like to see a bit of personality in sport, it's lacking in nearly every sport I watch so when someone has it and authority tries to squash it then that someone challenges that authority and they have a fair point I quite like to see those that run it taken on as very often they've no idea what to do or how to react other than the standard cut and pasted letter.

    Higgins was the same and every sport has a genius who needs a bit of slack.

    Interviews in robot voices and breaking out into wonderwall is just hilarious.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #87  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Fair point it's all about opinions personally I like to see a bit of personality in sport, it's lacking in nearly every sport I watch so when someone has it and authority tries to squash it then that someone challenges that authority and they have a fair point I quite like to see those that run it taken on as very often they've no idea what to do or how to react other than the standard cut and pasted letter.

    Higgins was the same and every sport has a genius who needs a bit of slack.

    Interviews in robot voices and breaking out into wonderwall is just hilarious.
    I agree, its nice to have personality, although I think theres a line between personality and disrespect. For example I think Robertson and Judd have personality but they aren't disrespectful.

    I have more time for Ronnie now though than I did a few years ago though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #88  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,404
    What a fantastic comeback win for Marco Fu. It was a fabulous match between two excellent players and in the end it was a shame somebody had to lose, but Marco crept over the winning line and he's through to the next round. Superb snooker.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #89  
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottybackSte View Post
    Fu will win.

    I think Wilson might make it difficult for Ronnie, he scores heavy. Could be a cracker, the odds are decent too.

    Selby should win very easy, Trump and Robertson will win too as well. The Higgins match will be a battle I really hope he wins, although no money on it.

    You could make a strong case for so many players...keep an eye on Bingtao too.
    I knew Fu would win
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #90  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    24,201
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottybackSte View Post
    I knew Fu would win
    Just seen that now. What the hell happened?!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •