Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Snooker Thread

1. #1 Thumbs up The Snooker Thread 
    The Rocket is already through to yet another final, and with Selby out among others are either Perry or Hawkins capable of stopping him?

For my money it should be comfortable for Ronnie.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

What a cracking match currently playing out - it's 5-5 and a decider.

Magnificent comeback by Joe Perry. Congratulations and good luck in the final.

aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Not many players worth watching these days, I mean Hawkins and Perry do me a favour hardly much excitement.

My era was Higgins, White, Stevens, Drago. Mind you I also had to put up with Thorburn, Charlton, Griffiths, Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Not many players worth watching these days, I mean Hawkins and Perry do me a favour hardly much excitement.

My era was Higgins, White, Stevens, Drago. Mind you I also had to put up with Thorburn, Charlton, Griffiths, Francisco
    Don't forget though , Kirk and Tony were crap

Tony Knowles and Keith Dellor/Deller?
    Different sports but for some reason when I think of one I think of the other.

Joe Perry let Ronnie off the hook this afternoon, should be a cracking session tonight. Love the Masters

Quote Originally Posted by KnottybackSte View Post
    Joe Perry let Ronnie off the hook this afternoon, should be a cracking session tonight. Love the Masters
    He did indeed. Perry is playing some decent stuff. Got to fancy Ronnie for the win though.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaLxTc View Post
    He did indeed. Perry is playing some decent stuff. Got to fancy Ronnie for the win though.
    Mid-session couldn't come soon enough for Joe...

The BBC did a lovely tribute to Paul Hunter tonight, really did bring a tear to the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post

Yeah but they brought a bit of flair bit like these deadbeats

Ha ha weird

Mid-session couldn't come soon enough for Joe...

The BBC did a lovely tribute to Paul Hunter tonight, really did bring a tear to the eye.
    It's hard to believe its over ten years since Paul Hunter died. He was a huge talent, very sad loss. Will always be remembered for his exploits at the Masters! Was definitely a future world champion, taken way too soon.

Yeah but they brought a bit of flair bit like these deadbeats

Ha ha weird
    True . They were entertaining.

Griffiths v Anyone was as fun as chewing on tinfoil whilst cutting your hair with a cheesegrator.

Wasn't Drago just best mates with all the good players and allowed to tag along ?

What an excellent final with both players going for it.

Congratulations to Ronnie for his seventh Paul Hunter Masters title, a truly magnificent record, and commiserations to Joe who made a brilliant effort to threaten another epic comeback.

Both players are a credit to the sport.

True . They were entertaining.

Griffiths v Anyone was as fun as chewing on tinfoil whilst cutting your hair with a cheesegrator.

Wasn't Drago just best mates with all the good players and allowed to tag along ?
    Yeah it as awful, the only thing I know about Drago is he was incredibly fast and alwasy trying amazing ***** which is what I liked - entertainment !

The other thing about Drago is he went from a skinny little kid one season then the next he looked like someone had pumped him up he was huge like he'd spent all his winnings on pies and pasties !
    dont look back in anger.

Harsh on Drago! Loved him, but then I realised he was so fast around the table because he was actually a pool player. Indeed, he's a better pool player than a snooker player, and has quite a few pool titles to his name.

How did Jimmy never win the World Championship?

And yes, the Paul Hunter tribute was excellent.

So who reckons Ronnie will surpass Hendry's World Championship record?

Knew a guy from these boards that regulary hit 100+ breaks.

Domino.

Quote Originally Posted by God'sLeftFoot View Post
    Harsh on Drago! Loved him, but then I realised he was so fast around the table because he was actually a pool player. Indeed, he's a better pool player than a snooker player, and has quite a few pool titles to his name.

How did Jimmy never win the World Championship?

And yes, the Paul Hunter tribute was excellent.

So who reckons Ronnie will surpass Hendry's World Championship record?
    You're right about the Paul Hunter tribute being excellent, it was great to see.

Drago was always too quick for his own good, it affected his decision-making at critical moments, never giving himself the necessary time to consider the best shot.

As I'm sure you know, Jimmy never won the World Championship because he had the misfortune to share the top ranking positions with Davis and Hendry at their respective peaks - no shame there although it's a pity he never won it, as he was a fantastic player wasn't he God'sLeftFoot. He was snooker's equivalent of Sterling Moss in my opinion.

As for Ronnie and Hendry's record, I think time and age will prevent him managing this. I can see him equalling Davis' six titles, but I think Hendry's mark will be just a little too far for him given the quality of rival players such as Selby. Again, no shame considering the calibre of players we're talking about.

Well done to Ronnie yesterday he's a class player and the most exciting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    You're right about the Paul Hunter tribute being excellent, it was great to see.

Drago was always too quick for his own good, it affected his decision-making at critical moments, never giving himself the necessary time to consider the best shot.

As I'm sure you know, Jimmy never won the World Championship because he had the misfortune to share the top ranking positions with Davis and Hendry at their respective peaks - no shame there although it's a pity he never won it, as he was a fantastic player wasn't he God'sLeftFoot. He was snooker's equivalent of Sterling Moss in my opinion.

As for Ronnie and Hendry's record, I think time and age will prevent him managing this. I can see him equalling Davis' six titles, but I think Hendry's mark will be just a little too far for him given the quality of rival players such as Selby. Again, no shame considering the calibre of players we're talking about.
    I always thought Jimmy lost his nerve at vital moments in the WC finals. Especially the 1994 final, where he missed a fairly straightforward black in the deciding frame, allowing Hendry in to complete a fairly routine clearance. Poor Jimmy. I don't think Ive ever felt so gutted for someone losing a sporting event.

On Ronnie though... I just don't know. Hendry's decline started when he was about 30-31, and was fairly rapid. In fact, many players seem to have declined rapidly in the 30s - most of O'Sullivan's peers have gone by the wayside. Mark Williams is still performing well, but isn't the force he once was. And there are players in the 40s doing pretty well - Alan McManus is still around, Stuart Bingham is 40, John Higgins seems to be having something of an Indian Summer in his career, but he isn't the force he was either. Selby is very good, but his successes have been in recent years, and he's 33, and on the other side of the coin, Judd Trump doesn't quite seem to living up to his early promise. And yet, at 41, if O'Sullivan is in the right frame of mind, there is still no-one really to challenge him. I reckon if he keeps going till he's say, 45, he might just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by God'sLeftFoot View Post
    I always thought Jimmy lost his nerve at vital moments in the WC finals. Especially the 1994 final, where he missed a fairly straightforward black in the deciding frame, allowing Hendry in to complete a fairly routine clearance. Poor Jimmy. I don't think Ive ever felt so gutted for someone losing a sporting event.

On Ronnie though... I just don't know. Hendry's decline started when he was about 30-31, and was fairly rapid. In fact, many players seem to have declined rapidly in the 30s - most of O'Sullivan's peers have gone by the wayside. Mark Williams is still performing well, but isn't the force he once was. And there are players in the 40s doing pretty well - Alan McManus is still around, Stuart Bingham is 40, John Higgins seems to be having something of an Indian Summer in his career, but he isn't the force he was either. Selby is very good, but his successes have been in recent years, and he's 33, and on the other side of the coin, Judd Trump doesn't quite seem to living up to his early promise. And yet, at 41, if O'Sullivan is in the right frame of mind, there is still no-one really to challenge him. I reckon if he keeps going till he's say, 45, he might just do it.
    I totally agree with you about Jimmy losing his nerve, the particular example you posted being a prime case for this argument - sadly he just lacked the mental fortitude to see the final to a positive conclusion, even when holding a commanding lead.

I also happily take your excellent point about the different types of ageing between the top players aswell, and there is an argument that Ronnie remains at or near the height of his powers at a positively ancient 41, an age by which most players have lost a considerable amount of their consistency and overall prowess. Maybe you're right and he will go on to match Hendry's total of seven World Championship titles, but I just suspect his marvellous abilities will begin to wane/opponents will catch up before he gets there.

Having said that, I hope you're right and I'm wrong God'sLeftFoot - nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Ronnie claim a seventh title and become the undisputed greatest player ever (if he isn't already).
    Last edited by ever-red-e; 24-1-17 at 22:36. Reason: Potting The Black

Great comeback win for the brilliant Anthony Hamilton, 9-6 against Ali Carter in the German Masters final.

This is Anthony's first ranking tournament victory at the age of 45 and a well deserved one, especially considering the quality players he knocked out in the previous rounds such as Mark Selby.

Well done Anthony!

Brilliant plant to seal the win

Great interview after too

Yeah, was made up for Anthony Hamilton. Took the 100-1 for him to win back-to-back tournaments...wait 26 years and 2 might just come together. Odds have come into 66-1 now, be interesting to see how he gets on in Preston. Already down to the last 32, watching Ronnie commentate on Eurosport he looked hungry, got a feeling he will do well here to compliment his Masters win.

All the big guns will soon start jostling in preparation for the Worlds...

Yeah, was made up for Anthony Hamilton. Took the 100-1 for him to win back-to-back tournaments...wait 26 years and 2 might just come together. Odds have come into 66-1 now, be interesting to see how he gets on in Preston. Already down to the last 32, watching Ronnie commentate on Eurosport he looked hungry, got a feeling he will do well here to compliment his Masters win.

All the big guns will soon start jostling in preparation for the Worlds...
    You might just earn a few quid there KnottybackSte, Hamilton is playing very well.

As for the World Championship, you're right that it will soon be time to hit top form if you're an aspiring champion. Ronnie in particular may be a good bet after his Masters performance.

Ronnie

Ronnie
    What particular aspect of Ronnie do you find so amusing aylesbyred?

Has he said something priceless or done something stupid?

What particular aspect of Ronnie do you find so amusing aylesbyred?

Has he said something priceless or done something stupid?
    He did an interview in a robot voice as a protest at being fined in the last tournament

Check it out on the BBC website it's hilarious

He did an interview in a robot voice as a protest at being fined in the last tournament

Check it out on the BBC website it's hilarious

Thanks for that aylesbyred, it was absolutely superb!

Thanks for that aylesbyred, it was absolutely superb!
    Yeah didn't half make me laugh that mate

An eventful day for Neil Robertson in particular - beating Ronnie 4-1 in the afternoon and then losing 4-2 to Barry Hawkins in the evening.

Shaun Murphy, at number six in the world, is now the highest ranked player left in the World Grand Prix.

Shaun Murphy is out of the World Grand Prix, beaten 4-2 by Ryan Day, while Marco Fu ousted Mark King by the same scoreline.

Can Ryan win a first ranking event?