Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 97 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad for the 2016/2017 season, thread 8

1. #1 Default Squad for the 2016/2017 season, thread 8 
    canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    The Squad by position and registration status for the 2016/17 season.

January transfer business

In

Markovic, return from loan

Out

Ilori, Reading, 3.75m

Out on loan

Chirivella, Go Ahead Eagles
    Markovic, Hull
    Brannagan, Fleetwood
    Sakho, Crystal Palace

Goalkeepers

HG - (Ward)
    NHG - Mignolet, Karius, Manninger, Bogdan
    U21 - (Fulton 96)

Centre Backs

HG -
    NHG - Lovren, (Sakho), Matip, Klavan
    U21 - Gomez 97

Full Backs

HG - Clyne, (Flanagan), (Wisdom)
    NHG - Moreno
    U21 - Randall 95

Defensive and Central Midfielders

HG - Henderson, Milner, Stewart
    NHG - Lucas, Can
    U21 - (Brannagan 96), Grujic 96, (Chirivella 97), (Allan 97)

Attacking Midfielders, Inside Forwards, Wingers

HG - Lallana
    NHG - Coutinho, Firmino, (Markovic), Mane, Wijnaldum
    U21 - (Kent 96), Ojo 97

Center Forwards

HG - Sturridge, Ings
    NHG -
    U21 - Origi 95, (Awoniyi 97)

Totals

HG - 7, (3)
    NHG - 14, (2)
    U21 - 5, (6)
    Total - 26, (11)
    Last edited by canuck33; 21-3-17 at 12:53.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Out with the old, in with the new.

Some rumours about Riza Durmisi, LB from Real Betis. Anyone know anything about him?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Some rumours about Riza Durmisi, LB from Real Betis. Anyone know anything about him?
    no but Klopp has already ruled out signing a LB

Out of the list above, I would consider the below players the available Senior/developed/Pros;

Mignolet
    Karius
    Lovren
    Matip
    Klavan
    Clyne
    Moreno
    Henderson
    Milner
    Lucas
    Can
    Lallana
    Wijnaldum
    Mane
    Coutinho
    Firminho
    Origi
    Sturridge

That's 18 players, One Matchday squad including the bench. No wonder we're ********** as soon as someone is missing

We still have Jack Dunn on our books who comes under homegrown (though his future is clearly elsewhere, Morcambe sent him back after an unsuccessful loan). We've sold Joe Maguire to Fleetwood Town as well (undisclosed fee but can't have been much).

We also need Sakho to sort his future out before the deadline, rumours say he's torn between Southampton and Spartak Moscow. I hope it's not a case of neither club willing to pay the fee we want/his wages. Because I'd hate it if we had him for the rest of the season just playing U23 football.

Still question marks over quite a few futures here (Sturridge, Moreno, Lucas, Manninger, Markovic, Flanagan, Randall, Bogdan).

Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    We still have Jack Dunn on our books who comes under homegrown (though his future is clearly elsewhere, Morcambe sent him back after an unsuccessful loan). We've sold Joe Maguire to Fleetwood Town as well (undisclosed fee but can't have been much).

We also need Sakho to sort his future out before the deadline, rumours say he's torn between Southampton and Spartak Moscow. I hope it's not a case of neither club willing to pay the fee we want/his wages. Because I'd hate it if we had him for the rest of the season just playing U23 football.

Still question marks over quite a few futures here (Sturridge, Moreno, Lucas, Manninger, Markovic, Flanagan, Randall, Bogdan).
    Paul Joyce saying Sakho exit is edging closer with Southampton and Palace battling for his signature.
    Flanagan barely playing for Burnley, what a pointless loan that is.
    Bogdan contract up in Summer so he'll be a free agent.

I don't see TAA on that list Canuck.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    Paul Joyce saying Sakho exit is edging closer with Southampton and Palace battling for his signature.
    Flanagan barely playing for Burnley, what a pointless loan that is.
    Bogdan contract up in Summer so he'll be a free agent.
    Saints would have a good CB partnership with Sakho and van Dijk. Thing is though will vD be gone in the summer? I think so.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Saints would have a good CB partnership with Sakho and van Dijk. Thing is though will vD be gone in the summer? I think so.
    it might be one of them where they demand too much for him, but id be surprised if he stayed

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    it might be one of them where they demand too much for him, but id be surprised if he stayed
    Crikey, I can see all the top 6 wanting him.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    I don't see TAA on that list Canuck.
    Neither is he on the main website's first team squad list.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Crikey, I can see all the top 6 wanting him.
    Don't think Spurs or Arsenal will. LFC won't pay the money, between the main 3 big spenders imo.

I think Ings has been a big miss - he'd have been an asset in this system

Had Sakho not been a berk we would have been better off at CB also.

But certainly with the benefit of hindsight we are quality player or two light when you look at our bench these days. The squad looked ok-ish at the start of the season for a domestic campaign but it was reliant on a fairly injury free season.

I would have really liked at least 1 signing this window to freshen it up, but I think we are now reliant on players staying fit and mane's return helping us kick on to secure a top 4 spot this season - no business until the summer.

Neither is he on the main website's first team squad list.
    Is he sill u18 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Is he sill u18 maybe?
    I don't think there is any criterion. We have Jack Dunn listed on the academy squad and he is a senior player.
    Last edited by canuck33; 27-1-17 at 14:27.

no but Klopp has already ruled out signing a LB
    That's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    Out of the list above, I would consider the below players the available Senior/developed/Pros;

Mignolet
    Karius
    Lovren
    Matip
    Klavan
    Clyne
    Moreno
    Henderson
    Milner
    Lucas
    Can
    Lallana
    Wijnaldum
    Mane
    Coutinho
    Firminho
    Origi
    Sturridge

That's 18 players, One Matchday squad including the bench. No wonder we're ********** as soon as someone is missing
    Lucas' contact is up at the end of the season. And it looks pretty much nailed on that we'll have European football next season. So we need some major beefing up of the squad.

Lucas' contact is up at the end of the season. And it looks pretty much nailed on that we'll have European football next season. So we need some major beefing up of the squad.
    I'm not expecting a huge increase in numbers.

That list doesn't include Sakho or Ings - 2 senior, developed players - that gives us a total of 20.

I'd be surprised if we add more than 1 or 2 to that roster, if that - maybe 3-4 out and 4-5 in. Even if we just replaced Sakho and Ings with 2 players that Klopp could/would use (instead of constantly injured or frozen out) that might be enough 'additions'.

joe gomez set to sign a new, five-year contract...that's great news.. Klopp obviously feels he has something special about him to have pushed the club into giving him a contract extension.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    I'm not expecting a huge increase in numbers.

That list doesn't include Sakho or Ings - 2 senior, developed players - that gives us a total of 20.

I'd be surprised if we add more than 1 or 2 to that roster, if that - maybe 3-4 out and 4-5 in. Even if we just replaced Sakho and Ings with 2 players that Klopp could/would use (instead of constantly injured or frozen out) that might be enough 'additions'.
    I did say 'available' which Sakho and Ings haven't been. I agree with Canuck, we definitely need some beefing up

I did say 'available' which Sakho and Ings haven't been. I agree with Canuck, we definitely need some beefing up
    I know you did and I wasn't really arguing they should have been included. They're still here though.

I think if we replaced e.g Sakho, Ings, Moreno and Lucas with 4 players at least competing for regular starts in those 4 positions we'd be very close to being set. Maybe change one other and add another, should be plenty.

We don't need a massive increase in numbers, our focus should still be quality rather than quantity.

I know you did and I wasn't really arguing they should have been included. They're still here though.

I think if we replaced e.g Sakho, Ings, Moreno and Lucas with 4 players at least competing for regular starts in those 4 positions we'd be very close to being set. Maybe change one other and add another, should be plenty.

We don't need a massive increase in numbers, our focus should still be quality rather than quantity.
    That'd leave us with 20. I still think that's a relatively low number for this Country, I'm thinking;

Number of games
    Number of different Comps
    No Winter break, the season is one whole end-to-end
    Klopp's/our aggressive style of football

Maybe quality/strong/fit players in key areas will help but i still think a few 'stand-ins' are needed. It's not fair on the kids to become the squadies as it becomes too much too soon on them.

That'd leave us with 20. I still think that's a relatively low number for this Country, I'm thinking;

Number of games
    Number of different Comps
    No Winter break, the season is one whole end-to-end
    Klopp's/our aggressive style of football

Maybe quality/strong/fit players in key areas will help but i still think a few 'stand-ins' are needed. It's not fair on the kids to become the squadies as it becomes too much too soon on them.
    20-21 I reckon, effectively 2-3 more than this season, but with better quality at FB, CB, CM and wide forward.

More than that and you've too often got senior pros not even making the bench when you've got few injuries, and youngsters not even getting as far as the bench unless you're missing 4-5 or more - I think that causes problems.

United are trying to trim their squad back to that sort of size. They've sold Depay and Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Young will probably be next. Then they'll be one in one out.
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; 27-1-17 at 17:02.

This entirely, especially now that we have shifted so much deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    This entirely, especially now that we have shifted so much deadwood
    I think Klopp's comments on the goalkeeper situation are pertinent:
    "A few weeks ago, we spoke about our goalkeepers and a lot of people thought last year we were not happy with one goalkeeper, this year we are not happy with two goalkeepers, so it made it even worse."

I think it's why we've not been prepared to go too far down our shortlist to try to sign players this window - we don't need an influx of players, just one in each of 4 or 5 positions. If we can't get one of our top 3/4/5 targets we're probably just making the situation worse. Having more players that aren't quite good enough is a bigger problem than having fewer players that aren't good enough.

20-21 I reckon, effectively 2-3 more than this season, but with better quality at FB, CB, CM and wide forward.

More than that and you've too often got senior pros not even making the bench when you've got no injuries, and youngsters not even getting as far as the bench unless you're missing 4-5 or more - I think that causes problems.

United are trying to trim their squad back to that sort of size. They've sold Depay and Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Young will probably be next. Then they'll be one in one out.
    There'll be times when they're fighting for a spot on the bench, that might not be a bad thing? With the number of games we play though the players will get plenty of game time as well as recovery time for the others. There will be the inevitable sickness absences too..

Mourinho's 'brand of football' is much easier on the players and he does well with a strong tight knit group. I just think we need extra players buzzing about the place. The younglings can then have a taste every now and again whilst they grow stronger

For a domestic only season, a decent club such as LFC only needs 18 proven quality players and another 4 or 5 promising talent for the season.

Anybody gets injured, one of the promising talent moves up to the bench. In a dire emergency, call on the Academy.

Euro footie: add another 3 or 4 proven quality and 1 or 2 emerging talent to the list

That's what Mourinho normally works to (not had time to shift deadwood at Manure yet), Conte is doing at Chelsea and Klopp seems to be working towards at LFC.

I think Klopp's comments on the goalkeeper situation are pertinent:
    "A few weeks ago, we spoke about our goalkeepers and a lot of people thought last year we were not happy with one goalkeeper, this year we are not happy with two goalkeepers, so it made it even worse."

I think it's why we've not been prepared to go too far down our shortlist to try to sign players this window - we don't need an influx of players, just one in each of 4 or 5 positions. If we can't get one of our top 3/4/5 targets we're probably just making the situation worse. Having more players that aren't quite good enough is a bigger problem than having fewer players that aren't good enough.
    Quite unfair of Klopp to use the Karius situation like that. Karius is clearly a number 2 keeper brought in to hone his craft. He's on 15k pw ffs. Why people have put him on the same level as Migs is unfair on him. You don't pay a 1st team player 15k pw, that's taking the mick.

We had Bogdan as Migs's cover so the Keeper situation is actually much better now Mr Klopp, not worse.

Quantity doesn't always mean 'bad quality', do it properly and get quality players to beef the squad's number up.

Quite unfair of Klopp to use the Karius situation like that. Karius is clearly a number 2 keeper brought in to hone his craft. He's on 15k pw ffs. Why people have put him on the same level as Migs is unfair on him. You don't pay a 1st team player 15k pw, that's taking the mick.

We had Bogdan as Migs's cover so the Keeper situation is actually much better now Mr Klopp, not worse.

Quantity doesn't always mean 'bad quality', do it properly and get quality players to beef the squad's number up.
    15k / week? Where did you get that? Christ, I'd bet we pay Bogdan more than that. Karius was blatantly bought to be #1, that's why even an in-form Migs almost immediately lost his place.
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; 27-1-17 at 17:44.